Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dual Pass Vs Single Pass Intercooler?

Paramanic

I know and i guess there's never been the need for these big bucket like cone filters, and its something we/i've fitted without any knowledge about airflow.. I'm only 150£+ new hose out of pocket, as i had to cut and ruin a new silicone hose the fit it because of space issues.

Please go for the Mountune style airfilter box or stick with the stock airfilter box, others are money down the drain imo..

Anyone have options for exhaust upgrades, maybe fitting 140hp model parts after a downpipe+cat upgrade? - I want to wait with a upgrade here as i dont want a new rear bumper and want to hide the rear silencer tail pipe as the stock one..

Right I have found the guy selling one of they mountune inductions I asked for his email he's selling it for £110 delivered he will get back to me

post-50202-144474723455_thumb.jpg

Right I have found the guy selling one of they mountune inductions I asked for his email he's selling it for £110 delivered he will get back to me

attachicon.gif1444747232551.jpg

I more like this package for sure and go for it, and i wish used my brain and went for the mountune kit and it would have been cheaper and easier to fit.. But im keping it for now and getting a map with the changes i've made for now..

A lot of aftermarket parts fits like it was made for another car, all my induction parts from AS and silicone tubes from J1 i had to modify.

UPDATE
well guys about the Dual Pass vs Single Pass Intercooler
talking to Collins Performance about different ones available

The mountune one
The only comment they made about the Mountune one is they say Its the only True Single pass intercooler available for sale for 1.0 available

"

• James Dougal

im not keen on the standard its so small and even mountunes one fits in that space..... which isnt very good

• At least the standard one and MT one is single pass lol - if you plan to run software offering
    more than 145bhp you will need a better IC
    09:14"

They said the other ones that are available aren't really true single pass as basically what mark has said the air goest through the first few fins and dont really used the full intercooler

this is what they said when i asked about the single pass ones available the now

"not really - the airflow takes the shortest route - only the 1st four rails flow any warm air - that why we asked them to redesign it - it performed no better than the orginal single pass one "

this is why they developed this one
the dual pass
post-50202-0-46919800-1444749443_thumb.j

I had a few questions that were brought up in here that i asked

about the radiator behind does it get enough air? yes there isnt any problem with air getting to radiator as they have much bigger intercoolers on the focus rs's front and there radiators get enough air

Are they any psi loss to the turbo because of the new intercooler??
they spoke about the two types of intercoolers and thee is no psi loss on any of them
"No change in psi is the same for both types"

also gave me graph to show the cooling compared to the standard intercooler the As stage 1 and the new intecooler they developed

post-50202-0-88290700-1444749486_thumb.j
(the numbers to the left are Degrees Celsius)

Nice information you posted, and the air temp values are almost the same drop as i had, 60C to 40C and the new massive one almost halves the temp once again..

Most of the gains from the Airtec is because of the outboard mounting and that carries on with the monster dual pass, i indeed agree that the Mountune IC is a waste of money and wont give you any benefits as goingwith the "step" up as the Airtec..

I would say its overkill to go with the dual pass if your going for normal upgrades and a map up to say 160hp, when you feel the need to fit new pistons and rods this would be a smart upgrade..

What about oil cooling and you also need to do oil changes more frequently, as i would think that the eco oil will degrade much faster when violating it with more hp..?

The Airtec ones great if you plan to track race your motor or fit the billet turbo.

It's great what it's doing the now check the graph

I forgot to mention that's on a car remapped to 158bhp

Mountune work fine at 160odd bhp. No complaints here :p

• Like 1

Mountune work fine at 160odd bhp. No complaints here :p

Didn't say it didn't just not as affective :P

It's great what it's doing the now check the graph

I forgot to mention that's on a car remapped to 158bhp

Test done a few times same car with each intercooler in one day

I have been reading this thread with the intention of going a bit further with my own car as I already have a Superchip's re map which I am happy with but I now want more power having saw a comment here about SC working on a stage 2 map I thought I would get in touch with them and find out more information below is the reply I received -

In order to develop a Stage 2 for the 1.0 Ecoboost we would need to see
a car with representative modifications to work with as a development
car. From the work we've already done, we know that we'd need to see a
car with a full turbo back exhaust and uprated intercooler in order to
develop the remap. Without these upgrades the engine would run too hot
to make appreciable extra power.

At the moment, we do not have a customer willing to loan us a vehicle
with these mods, and even if we did it would be fairly far down the list
of projects as we mostly stick to stock, unmodified vehicles.

Best regards,
Graeme

I think the reply was quite positive so I am going to push on and look into the options for a larger inter-cooler and then a cat back exhaust although part of me thinks that for best results a full exhaust with a higher flowing cat might be a better option.

Having looked at inter cooler options for the Fiesta I am not that impressed as they are all mounted in front of the crash bar and therefore leave a large gap between the inter cooler and the engine radiator which disrupts the air flow to the engine cooling radiator. When stacking heat exchangers you would normally mount them as close as possible to encourage the airflow to cleanly pass through all the heat exchangers as efficiently as possible.

The other reason I am not a fan of mounting the IC in front of the crash bar is that in a accident you are very likely to end up with aluminium go through the turbo or worse still turbo and engine should the inter cooler be crushed.

For my car I am looking into having a charge cooler made up as I can then keep the water radiator think enough to mount behind the crash bar and the other part can be kept in the standard location thus keeping the volume that the turbo needs to fill with pressurized air as low as possible so that the non existent turbo lag remains that way.

Going the charge cooler way is going to be much more expensive than an air to air cooler but for this application I feel its the better way although this is my opinion and others may feel very different about that. As for power I hope with the mentioned additions my car will make 170 to 180 Bhp at the flywheel although that needs to be proved on the dyno rather than just saying it here.

I should say thanks to Paramanic for putting up lots of information on here for me and others to chew over.

• Like 1

Thanks Karl I

I have been reading this thread with the intention of going a bit further with my own car as I already have a Superchip's re map which I am happy with but I now want more power having saw a comment here about SC working on a stage 2 map I thought I would get in touch with them and find out more information below is the reply I received -

In order to develop a Stage 2 for the 1.0 Ecoboost we would need to see
a car with representative modifications to work with as a development
car. From the work we've already done, we know that we'd need to see a
car with a full turbo back exhaust and uprated intercooler in order to
develop the remap. Without these upgrades the engine would run too hot
to make appreciable extra power.

At the moment, we do not have a customer willing to loan us a vehicle
with these mods, and even if we did it would be fairly far down the list
of projects as we mostly stick to stock, unmodified vehicles.

Best regards,
Graeme

I think the reply was quite positive so I am going to push on and look into the options for a larger inter-cooler and then a cat back exhaust although part of me thinks that for best results a full exhaust with a higher flowing cat might be a better option.

Having looked at inter cooler options for the Fiesta I am not that impressed as they are all mounted in front of the crash bar and therefore leave a large gap between the inter cooler and the engine radiator which disrupts the air flow to the engine cooling radiator. When stacking heat exchangers you would normally mount them as close as possible to encourage the airflow to cleanly pass through all the heat exchangers as efficiently as possible.

The other reason I am not a fan of mounting the IC in front of the crash bar is that in a accident you are very likely to end up with aluminium go through the turbo or worse still turbo and engine should the inter cooler be crushed.

For my car I am looking into having a charge cooler made up as I can then keep the water radiator think enough to mount behind the crash bar and the other part can be kept in the standard location thus keeping the volume that the turbo needs to fill with pressurized air as low as possible so that the non existent turbo lag remains that way.

Going the charge cooler way is going to be much more expensive than an air to air cooler but for this application I feel its the better way although this is my opinion and others may feel very different about that. As for power I hope with the mentioned additions my car will make 170 to 180 Bhp at the flywheel although that needs to be proved on the dyno rather than just saying it here.

I should say thanks to Paramanic for putting up lots of information on here for me and others to chew over.

Thanks Karl
a guy did post a dyno up but i cant find it on the fb pages as people comment every day so things get lost :/ i will keep looking for it tho :)

but will be interesting to see the results :)

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys and update a new single pass is coming out as for now I don't know who makes it or how much but look at this true single pass

post-50202-144619442344_thumb.jpg

Update its from racebits tuning

And Costa £300 supplied and fitted

Woke up a bit now and looking at the single pass it looks good but the air would probe just go the area with least resistance so probably only the top 4or 5 fins

right just to show i dont think air will travel down as much 2bh
post-50202-0-92148800-1446200246_thumb.j

a think they should have dont this (ps ignore the c pipe to left )
post-50202-0-43052000-1446203234_thumb.p

The middle part won't get cold air to it anyway with part of the bumper coveting it. Bigger isn't always better. ST proves that.

• 3 weeks later...

Dual pass final product

I will be getting this. :)

post-50202-144768998804_thumb.jpg

post-50202-144768999838_thumb.jpg

post-50202-144769002012_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

It's pretty annoying this is coming out after i already bought and fitted the older version not long ago.. Price seems very competitive as its the same as my singlepass and with a significant drop in temps over the older one too.. :angry:

My drop of 20C over the std intercooler does not seem to give enough headroom when the engine management cut-off temp is set so low..

Although I am looking into designing my own inter cooler solution for the Fiesta I have decided to buy this new one and see how it goes as I just don't seem to have much spare time at the moment not only that I was going to buy a whole rad pack to allow me to work out the dimensions and spacing for the pre rad for my charge cooler which added additional cost as I cant afford to have my car off the road for days on end.

Anyway, I liked the look of the newer twin pass unit and thought I would give it a go with my SC remap.

Once I get it I'll take some pictures etc.

Dual pass final product

I will be getting this. :)

attachicon.gif1447689987230.jpg

attachicon.gif1447689997406.jpg

attachicon.gif1447690019229.jpg

From looking at the picture it looks like the inter cooler is getting on for being twice the size of the standard one.

Have you got one on order Paramanic ?

I am going to change the exhaust system on mine next still deciding on if its worth replacing from the turbo back rather than a cat back system ?

From looking at the picture it looks like the inter cooler is getting on for being twice the size of the standard one.

Have you got one on order Paramanic ?

I am going to change the exhaust system on mine next still deciding on if its worth replacing from the turbo back rather than a cat back system ?

Naw no yet buddy I'm getting mines after winter as I do all my mods then

I'm just getting a catback as another exhaust would affect my map I have a bluefin but not sticking it on till after winter

I thought that but nope a few companies test them now and said it doesn't oc and Collins the ones I've been speaking too

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club