Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford dealer said rear spring broken

v530anh

2 hours ago, v530anh said:

I bought a halfords Jack today low profile as i was to use  on the pavement. Their axle stands we're min 33cm, so just had to raise the car high enough! 

Anyway once the wheel was off, I could clearly see the spring was broken, but it is broken at a very low level there is very little risk of it falling out. Sprayed wd40 and a little autosol around some rust and put the wheel back on.

I have decided to leave it, and the spring seems good  just a little rust at the bottom got the best of it.

I can see it is easy to change the spring, just 2 bolts. But the rust on these nuts!

I don't think the m.o.t guy will find out, unless he takes the wheel off.

you are in for a surprise then! :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dezwez said:

If the spring is broken anywere they will fail your car and if it’s a call back to check

If you have done the work and it fails you will have to have it re mot again full cost to you 

not quite true, in some circumstances you can pass a car with a broken spring.

The spring was broken before I passed the m.o.t. The m.o.t centre was not a garage. Then I went to trust Ford and they said not to show the health check, and wished me luck.

....then I had free recheck and passed.

• Like 1

Where a coil spring is incomplete, cracked or fractured at an extreme end where the spring locates on the spring mount, it should only be rejected if:

the function of the spring is impaired

following jacking, the spring ends do not locate correctly when the vehicle is lowered into the normal running position without assistance

These criteria should also be applied to springs that have been deliberately shortened or modified in order to lower the suspension.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club