Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Question.

steveo

I will let you know how I get on with them.

Don't know how we will swap them with being other ends of country.

Get my car in a couple of weeks

I work in Durham (Pity Me) fairly regularly so I'll drive to you & swap them round....you won't even have to get your hands dirty :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steveo

• alexp999

• E5GDM

• Lester1102

Top Posters In This Topic

I will let you know dude

Just a quickie as you have opted for the larger wheels, they become more desirable to the wheel thief, so do as I did and get your self down to Halfords and buy another set of locking nuts, the ford ones only have five variations of key and are available on eBay, magard have considerably more ( cant remember how many off hand). deterrent is better than replacement.

Cheers ian

Thanks for that would never have thought about that.

I have the 17"s and they are absolutely fine, they look so much better than the 16"s and if you haven't changed from one to the other you will never know the difference they make anyway. Stop worrying and enjoy the new car.

Thanks phil

And thanks to all others

Feel more happy now.

Steve

Has anyone put wider tyres on there 17s I was going to put 215 next time but just wanted to know what people thought

I know I keep worrying about this but just need to understand I have ths right

The 205 tyre is wider but the wall thickness is smaller than the 195 which is bigger.

Right or wrong

I know not about cars

205 is 1cm wider than 195. It's the 2nd number that gives you side wall height as a percentage of width.

E.g. 205/40/17 is 20.5cm wide and has a sidewall of 40% (8.2cm)

205 is 1cm wider than 195. It's the 2nd number that gives you side wall height as a percentage of width.

E.g. 205/40/17 is 20.5cm wide and has a sidewall of 40% (8.2cm)

Although the percentage is the total sidewall area, so the actual amount of rubber between wheel and road will be half that, so 4.1cm in the above example.

Although the percentage is the total sidewall area, so the actual amount of rubber between wheel and road will be half that, so 4.1cm in the above example.

Well spotted ;)

I know I keep worrying about this but just need to understand I have ths right

The 205 tyre is wider but the wall thickness is smaller than the 195 which is bigger.

Right or wrong

I know not about cars

correct. as others have said already, but the rolling radius is probably the same, bigger wheel and smaller sidewall = same rolling radius, (circumference). check out the size of the tyre on a so called full size spare wheel, different size completely but the rolling radius must remain the same so as not to affect speedo and braking performance amongst other things.the reason wheels have got bigger in diameter over the years is that on performance cars you can get bigger brake discs and calipers inside the wheel thus enhancing braking performance.

cheers ian

So how well do they handle in the snow

So how well do they handle in the snow

Wider tyres are worse in the snow. You want winter tyres on a smaller wheel in the winter, that's what I do :)

Guess I will just have to wait and see, may look to getting rid of them

I can't see it being a problem if they were ford wouldn't have chosen them to go on the car

I really can't see why you would want to get rid of them before even getting the car.... :s

I think they drive smooth but your getting yourself worked up over nothing it's only I tyre at the end of the day and only over 2 cm of tyre not even an inch

I am just a panic a lot and worry to much about stuff.

Always just had the standard tyres that come with the car

More than likely worrying over nothing

You are having standard tyres they are standard for 17s they don't grind or restrict movement they give better grip because there wider and they look better I'm thinking about making my tyres wider

I will post feed back next month

I'm mostly going to say what the others already said: Don't worry about it :-)

I've got 205/40-17" on my 2013 Zetec S as well, and love them.

The only gripe I've had, is the dealer had put way too high air pressure in them (about 0,5 bar too much). After getting the pressure correct (according to the manual) they've run perfectly.

The result from the high pressure, was the ride being a tad harsh - after getting the pressure right I'd say they're as comfortable as any other car I've owned.

As for winter, you probably want a separate set of wheels regardlessly of the size, since you want winter tires instead of summer tires (summer tires are absolutely worthless in snow, regardless of size)

I kept the 16" original rims, and just had 195mm wide winter tires put onto those (can't remember the sidewall) - but you can do it with other size wheels as well if you prefer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club