Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MONDEO MK5 power steering MAJOR failure

david_dc

The recall has finally happened, see post number 208 in this link

https://talkford.com/community/topic/394099-steering-bolt-failure-official-response-from-dvla/page-21#entry3171073

I wonder if the Facebook crowd know, if they do, no one has posted up here

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add to this my Mondeo estate 65 plate has just suffered the same problem. I was driving the car and then the power steering broke. Following a good look the bolts from the electric motor have broke free, and yes a whole replacement steering rack is required. Lucky I have found a second hand one. To say I am disgusted with Ford for knowing about this fault and do nothing about it is an understatement. This will be my last Ford, shame because the rest of the car is good

1 hour ago, Krangle0 said:

Just to add to this my Mondeo estate 65 plate has just suffered the same problem. I was driving the car and then the power steering broke. Following a good look the bolts from the electric motor have broke free, and yes a whole replacement steering rack is required. Lucky I have found a second hand one. To say I am disgusted with Ford for knowing about this fault and do nothing about it is an understatement. This will be my last Ford, shame because the rest of the car is good

Have you checked on FordETIS to see whether your car is part of the recall?

4 minutes ago, FatHead1979 said:

Have you checked on FordETIS to see whether your car is part of the recall?

65 plate should be in the recall. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, iantt said:

65 plate should be in the recall. 

I expected that it would be, but I thought I'd mention it seeing as @Krangle0 referred to having found a 2nd hand rack (so I took that to mean he was planning on having it fitted).

I guess he somehow didn't see the post at the top of the page stating that Ford has finally authorised a recall? 🤔

• Like 2

Krangle/Peter, get on to Ford - there is now a recall

Read all the links on the site, all you need to know is there if you look

Just for info, it is not just a Ford problem. The same design rack is used on some BMWs and Mini's plus some Land Rover models, and they all have same problem

• Like 1

Its a problem on the F series BMW 3 series, the tsb for BMW is to check the bolts holding the pump to the rack. If one bolt is loose or broken then its replace the bolts, if its two or more then the rack is to be replaced. It seems when the motor rips itself from the rack it shreads the belt. You can buy the belt and the bolts from BMW but its pretty much impossible to set them up.

BMW just replace the rack, no question

Yes Steve, it is on the F series. Not as good a fix as Ford then on a BMW. If even one bolt is broken on a Mondeo it is a replacement rack.

I know a guy with a 3 series, 30,000 miles but 3 months out of warranty on time. Front line worker, doctor in London hospital, rack failed February 2020. BMW refused to help as they said it was caused by water ingress due to a stone damage hole the size of a 20 pence in engine under tray, ha, really!! Doctor was not aware of the rack problems so just paid £4,500.00 to get car done

BMW just replace the rack, no question, ha ha

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a little question and some advise needed please. My 2.0TDCi has just had to have the steering rack replaced with this recall, it all came apart as I was parking the car. Since I have got the car back the Engine Coolant - Overheating (temp gauge dropped to 0) has come on twice and I have had to put roughly 11ltrs of water in it, the heater was set to 24c but blowing really cold It is with my local garage at the moment, trying to find out what the problem might be, it has been running for the last 2.5 hours and the level hasn't dropped at all and she runs perfectly, nothing coming out of the exhaust and the coolant / water is clear. Does anyone know if a coolant hose or something is moved for the rack replacement. The Ford dealer did a health check and noted the coolant was discoloured, any suggestions welcome.

Replacing the rack requires no coolant pipes to be removed at all. I suspect it's a coincidence unfortunately. 

When you say it's been running for 2.5 hrs . Is that idling or driving? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club