Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start button - How do you turn on your engine ?

Zemanel

In the older days , we turned the key one time , wait a few seconds , and finaly we turned one final time to ignite the engine.

Now with the start button , how do you start the car ?

Do you just press the button one time or do you press one time, wait a few seconds and then you do the final press ?

To put the car in accessory mode (without turning the engine on) you just press the Engine Start/On button. 

To start the engine you do the same but with your foot on the clutch (depressed)

At least in a Ford MK3 anyway 👍

To start, press clutch in, then press button. I think with an auto you press the brake down. I'm not sure how it may (or may not) differ with a diesel having glow plugs. Is yours a diesel?

Simple answer is R.T.F.M.

I know how to do it . What i want to know is how you should do it .

Should you start only after you put it on acessory mode or can you just press one time ?

I'm asking this because the in the older way with the physical key , you should first put it in acessory mode and wait a few seconds before starting .

All three of our cars have start buttons, but the procedure is different in each case...

Fiesta ST: push button, depress clutch, push button again

Mercedes GLC (auto): push button, depress brake, push button again

Caterham Seven: turn key, push button

In the Caterham I can hear the fuel pump prime after turning the key so wait for that to finish. In the Ford and Mercedes there's a natural pause between pushing the button as you push a pedal anyway.

i never waited even in the st just pressed and started also just turn the key and start

when i first got the st i wasnt told how to turn it off lol luckily enough pressing the button again turned the engine of

• Like 1

Yes, just depress the clutch and press the button and it starts the engine, no need to put in to accessory first.

• Like 1

mondeo diesel mk5. just depress clutch pedal and press starter until it fires. It will wait until the glow plugs and sensors have done their thing automatically. If you just need your ignition on but not the engine running (maybe to use a diagnostic machine) press the button without the clutch.

I'm sure I was recommended to depress clutch when you turned the key. It puts less strain on the starter, (not turning gearbox), plus car won't go anywhere if you accidentality leave it in gear. If starting a (cold) diesel, you wait for glow plug light to go away before starting.

18 minutes ago, Zemanel said:

... in the older way with the physical key , you should first put it in acessory mode and wait a few seconds before starting .

Never in 4 decades of driving, have I ever waited 'a few seconds' before simply starting a car. I just twist & start, I must be a rebel LOL

• Like 1

What i want to know is : is it bad to  start the engine with just one press without putting it into acessory mode first ? 

With the physical key it's bad to start without putting into acessory mode first.

1 minute ago, Zemanel said:

With the physical key it's bad to start without putting into acessory mode first.

LOL, what evidence do you have that just starting the car (without your 'accessory' routine) is bad for it?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

LOL, what evidence do you have that just starting the car (without your 'accessory' routine) is bad for it?

I was allways told that was how i should do it , because of the diagnosis of all those lights on the dashboard . 

Another thing that bothers me is starting qith the lights on . Doesn't that hurt the light bulbs ?

Is it because you had to wait for the electric fuel pump to pressurise up? That used to happen when you put it into accessory position first. I have a feeling modern cars do it when unlock and open the driver's door, but I may be wrong.

As above it might be so you can see if all the warning lights are working.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zemanel said:

I was allways told that was how i should do it , because of the diagnosis of all those lights on the dashboard . 

Another thing that bothers me is starting qith the lights on . Doesn't that hurt the light bulbs ?

Now, I've just checked the date, you do realise this is the 1st March, not 1st April?? LOL 🤣

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Never in 4 decades of driving, have I ever waited 'a few seconds' before simply starting a car. I just twist & start, I must be a rebel LOL

You are a rebel .... you dont have trainers ...🤣🤣👍👍

How have you all made this topic so difficult 😂😂.

Get in car, press brake/clutch as required, put key in ignition and turn it as far as it will go/ hold start button. 

Not hard is it?

What's next? How to change gear??

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Is it because you had to wait for the electric fuel pump to pressurise up? That used to happen when you put it into accessory position first. I have a feeling modern cars do it when unlock and open the driver's door, but I may be wrong.

As above it might be so you can see if all the warning lights are working.

I knew it had a purpose . 

Might be easier to get back on the bike 😆

• Haha 2

Ah!!!  back in the day lads when Hovis was just a new thing and sliced bread had yet to be invented, thou used to put small metal key in slot and turn it just a bit till orange oil light and the red gen light came on. Then get out and go to front of Jalopy and put big wind up handle in front bumper and turn engine over, them were the days when they made proper cars. None of this witch craft of keyless this and touch sensitive that ! A Man knew what had to be done to get his trusty motor started and would have a feeling of a job well done each time the old girl would fire in to life.

By the way what was the question about the button ??????

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sit in seat, depress clutch, press start button, press stop / start override button, off you go... (obviously seat belt on, check mirrors, take handbrake off, etc!)

4 hours ago, Gitfinger said:

Sit in seat, depress clutch, press start button, press stop / start override button, off you go... (obviously seat belt on, check mirrors, take handbrake off, etc!)

Take Handbrake off ? What's one of those ? 😄

Open boot, put bag in boot, close boot,open drivers door, sit in car, close door, insert battery meter into slot and press start button ( ignition on ) check battery level reading ( usually 11.5/6 but up to 11.8 as I've disabled the HUD) press clutch down, press start button. Put seatbelt on, press button to acknowledge full accessory mode, press button again for seatbelt on ok. Check mirrors. Drive off if safe to do so. Drive 3.4 miles to work and listen for rattles and knocks en route. Arrive at work. Park up, check battery meter level ( normally reads 12.7), remove battery meter, Put mask on. Switch off car ( press button) get out of car. Close drivers door, open boot, Change footwear, close boot. Lock car up with the 3 stripes on rear passenger door twice for double lock. Walk through security. Scan badge to gain access to warehouse reception. Listen for 6 alerts on mobile phone from ford pass. Remember it's me thats accessed the car. Rinse and repeat twice a day 4/5 times a week. 

• Haha 1

Finished?!?!🤣🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Jim H said:

To start, press clutch in, then press button. I think with an auto you press the brake down. I'm not sure how it may (or may not) differ with a diesel having glow plugs. Is yours a diesel?

Simple answer is R.T.F.M.

The system starts itself, press the clutch, press the button.

If it needs glow plug warm up time it will do so, it will pop up saying "Engine Start Pending, Please Wait"

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club