Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 EcoBoost 'wet belt' issue

LiloLea

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

That’s about the oil pump belt. Not the wet cam belt though. 

Yeah, double whammy!! 

13 hours ago, iantt said:

It would be ironic if all those cases of clogged oil pumps, that were attributed to wet cambelt failure, were actually down to the oil pump belt - in which case the move to a chain in the 1.5 and revised 1.0 isn't much comfort.

The Article does not say if it only applies to older Wet Cambelt Engines and whether it only applies to Automatic cars, which at least in the older Wet Cambelt Engines were different because they had a Balance Shaft arrangement. There is mention of Automatic cars only but it does not specifically exclude Manual cars.

I'm fairly certain that my 1.5 Dragon Engine, built after January 2019, does not have a Tensioner on the oil Pump Wet Belt. I don't know about the later 1.0 Engines with Chains and Wet oil Pump Belts though.

4 minutes ago, Tizer said:

There is mention of Automatic cars

Would the Americans even know what a manual car is ? 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 9:40 PM, Adrianh said:

Add one more wet belt failure to the listings. I have had my 2017 C-Max Titanium from new and found some months later the paperwork did not show the service interval. I called the dealership and was told to call the Ford Customer service centre who, after a few moments on hold told me that the interval was 15000 miles or 12 months so that is what I stuck to. The dealership never queried it and I took out a service plan which again did not specify anything different. All was well until Covid came along and servicing was only given to critical workers so the car went 14 months between services and was booked in as soon as was possible. At 87k miles (the last service) I found my service book had gone missing when I got home and checked the documents in the wallet where I keep the receipts/ manual etc. I called the dealership and they said the booklet was not there but gave me a new history from their files. Come 100k miles I found there was a wait of several weeks to get the car serviced and booked it in at the earliest possible. At 104k miles I decided to push for an earlier servicing and was given a date a few days ahead at another local dealership which I took. On the way the oil pressure light flickered and I stopped the engine and coasted to a nearby layby and got the car to the dealership via the AA. The following day I was told the engine is needing replacement plus turbo and ancillaries. I was asked for my V5 as the dealership were contacting Ford re some help with the engine change. The V5 was behind the service book in the wallet but it also could not be found. I ordered a replacement to be told minutes later that it had been found in the back of the wallet which had been split open....very strange. Five weeks later and £6500 later the car was returned to me. Ford would not help and my "Poor service history" was the reason, yet it was taken to the dealership every service on a pre-paid service contract where no mileages were stated nor recorded. Needless to say this was my 9th and likely the last Ford I shall own. Had I known of the Ecoboost engine issues I would have steered well clear as it has elements of flawed design throughout its history. How can an item be given a 150000 mile/ 10 year life yet fails at much lower periods. Can owners be expected to leave their car at home because they cannot get the car serviced for several weeks and would go over 12500 miles?. Modern synthetic oils have vastly improved properties over non synthetic oils and one would believe there would be more tolerance available, not a reduction. I was later told it is 12500 miles + 500 miles. When my commute to work was 250 miles a day (5000 per month) the numbers become laughable and am thankful I am now retired as a service every 10 weeks would have been impossible to achieve.

https://www.classaction.org/news/time-bombs-ford-ecoboost-oil-pump-defect-can-cause-engine-failure-while-driving-class-action-says

Edited by Adrianh
typos

My 2017 CMAX 1.0 Ecoboost went pop on the way to a service on 4 August. I am told that a new engine is approx £7500. (It turned out £250 less) The oil pressure light flickered on and I stopped the engine and coasted to a layby (Without power steering and fading brakes) At the Ford service centre they dropped the sump and found belt fragments in the oil strainer. Because of this the engine is already toast. When I first purchased the car from new nothing was indicated on my documents about the service interval. I was told by ford Customer service that the service interval was 15k miles so that is what I did through the ford dealership where I bought the car from new. I was surprised to later learn that the service interval was 12500 miles and I was in default as I had not followed the service plan. My service log showed stamps and initials but no service due miles but that disappeared at the last service so was replaced by a dealership one off the Ford account I have. The upshot is the car was not serviced at the correct intervals so no warranty type contribution will be made. This is the 9th Ford I have had and over 750k miles travelled in a Ford, but no more after this debacle. I wrote to the DVSA as I considered it a safety issue but they have rejected it as the car can still be stopped safely if the engine gives out. Where else can I go??

Also found this:

https://www.classaction.org/news/time-bombs-ford-ecoboost-oil-pump-defect-can-cause-engine-failure-while-driving-class-action-says

2 hours ago, Adrianh said:

When I first purchased the car from new nothing was indicated on my documents about the service interval. 

That does seem odd. You should have got a service Portfolio, which details service intervals, warranty terms, etc, at handover. Even though Ford have discontinued paper handbooks, I still got one with my car in April this year.

IMG_20231009_114430_hdr.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That does seem odd. You should have got a Service Portfolio, which details service intervals, warranty terms, etc, at handover. Even though Ford have discontinued paper handbooks, I still got one with my car in April this year.

IMG_20231009_114430_hdr.jpg

Yep. 

16968573620385664062738345433893.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Yep. 

16968573620385664062738345433893.jpg

That example quotes the revised 18,000 interval which was introduced late 2017 according to this service interval overview I found on the Ford site. Presumably Adrian's must have been on the earlier 12,500 interval, hence Ford's attitude?

Interval_Overview_Miles_20191108 (2).pdf

• 1 month later...

Maybe this is a silly question but maybe someone would know. How worthwhile would it be to create a chain retrofit for the oil pump? It seems sourcing the chain would be the more difficult part (the CNCing of the two pulleys would be relatively simple). Is the pulley on the oil pump itself removable? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, quite right, Tom. I feel fortunate that, at the time in my life when I was so skint the only way I could afford to run a car was diy, that (a) cars were relatively easy to understand and work on and (b) I was young and fit enough to be crawling underneath, dropping gearboxes etc. No way I could do it now.

Engines are all basically the same when peal back the wires and pipes.  It's only nuts, bolts and clips.  The gearbox driveshafts etc all stay in place and you pull just the engine out either up and out or pull the front off and drag it out on a trolley jack.  They don't weigh as much as 4 cylinder engines either.  Professional garages can have them out quickly.

• Confused 2

I don't know why this post has resurfaced but it did remind me that I should make a plan as to when to do the next oil/filter change.

Still haven't got rid of the car, so can't be too complacent. Experience has shown me the belt starts deteriorating very early in its life cycle (even with the correct spec oil), so frequent oil changes should hopefully reduce the amount of debris taken up onto the pump strainer over time.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I am at the start of my 1.0l Ecoboom experience. Just lost power to my breaks this week. Very scary and I am confident if the timing had been slightly different, I wouldn't be here writing this or even worse someone else could have been hurt.

I am absolutely amazed at how well known this issue is talking to those who deal with cars and engines but talking to Ford or the local dealerships its like they are the only ones who don't seem to know about it. 

I am confused as to why a manufacturing defect as obviously dangerous as this is not being made more public. It will cost a life without doubt and safety has to be more important than the financials. The local garage said they get 1 a week!

Surely this needs to be on the DVSA site at least and more media attention focused on it. Ford should be contacting customers. We bought this car from new and there is no way they can claim they didnt know about the safety issues. They have no issues contacting me with marketing or anything else.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:09 AM, Adrianh said:

Wow this is a shock. There is no way this could be stopped safely. The shock alone when that pedal doest budge when you press it is enough to cause an accident. I had to use the handbreak and I think the only reason I didnt have an accident is that at the time there was no car in front of me as I came towards a roundabout. The fact that the DVSA have ignored this warning from yourself putting me and others in danger is absolutely shocking. 

Thanks for writing about it on here.

My 2017 CMAX 1.0 Ecoboost went pop on the way to a service on 4 August. I am told that a new engine is approx £7500. (It turned out £250 less) The oil pressure light flickered on and I stopped the engine and coasted to a layby (Without power steering and fading brakes) At the Ford service centre they dropped the sump and found belt fragments in the oil strainer. Because of this the engine is already toast. When I first purchased the car from new nothing was indicated on my documents about the service interval. I was told by ford Customer service that the service interval was 15k miles so that is what I did through the ford dealership where I bought the car from new. I was surprised to later learn that the service interval was 12500 miles and I was in default as I had not followed the service plan. My service log showed stamps and initials but no service due miles but that disappeared at the last service so was replaced by a dealership one off the Ford account I have. The upshot is the car was not serviced at the correct intervals so no warranty type contribution will be made. This is the 9th Ford I have had and over 750k miles travelled in a Ford, but no more after this debacle. I wrote to the DVSA as I considered it a safety issue but they have rejected it as the car can still be stopped safely if the engine gives out. Where else can I go??

Also found this:

17 hours ago, Ecoboomer2024 said:

I am at the start of my 1.0l Ecoboom experience. Just lost power to my breaks this week. Very scary and I am confident if the timing had been slightly different, I wouldn't be here writing this or even worse someone else could have been hurt.

I am absolutely amazed at how well known this issue is talking to those who deal with cars and engines but talking to Ford or the local dealerships its like they are the only ones who don't seem to know about it. 

I am confused as to why a manufacturing defect as obviously dangerous as this is not being made more public. It will cost a life without doubt and safety has to be more important than the financials. The local garage said they get 1 a week!

Surely this needs to be on the DVSA site at least and more media attention focused on it. Ford should be contacting customers. We bought this car from new and there is no way they can claim they didnt know about the safety issues. They have no issues contacting me with marketing or anything else.

The owners could/should also send a complaint email to them about this issue.

The more the merrier.

How are people losing braking power? That should have nothing to do with the wet belt.

5 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

How are people losing braking power? That should have nothing to do with the wet belt.

It sounds like some things are getting conflated.

Just because it has a 1.0 doesn't mean the brake failure is anything to do with the engine. Could happen to any car depending on the fault.

9 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

As Alex says, brake servo failure can occur for various reasons. In cases where there is a link to the wet belt, I believe the issue is particles from a disintegrating wet belt causing failure of the vacuum pump, hence no servo assistance.

Extract from article regarding the US recall:

"drop or total loss of oil pressure, both of which can ruin an engine.

This failure can cause not only a loss of power while driving, but a deactivation of the vacuum pump that aids braking, posing the risk of rear-ending another vehicle. Ford acknowledges one crash stemming from oil pump failure, resulting in two injuries but no fatalities."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

As Eric says, the vacuum pump also get block with belt debris, blocking the pump and starving the servo of vacuum

Searching around, there's actually quite a few posts on the vacuum pump issue in this and other Ford forums, including the video that Unofix posted a while back.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:13 PM, unofix said:

NEWS FLASH !!!!

Oil pressure problem can cause a failure of the one-way valve inside the vacuum pump causing the brake servo not to work and therefore a very hard brake pedal. Watch the video:

• Thanks 1

If an Engine stops turning, which will happen if enough Teeth have been stripped from a Cambelt then the Servo Assistance will soon be depleted.

3 minutes ago, Tizer said:

If an Engine stops turning, which will happen if enough Teeth have been stripped from a Cambelt then the Servo Assistance will soon be depleted.

But that applies to any engine.

Ecoboomer never said the engine stopped, only that the brakes failed.

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

But that applies to any engine.

Ecoboomer never said the engine stopped, only that the brakes failed.

Other people have complained that their Brakes failed after their Wet Belt Engines failed.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:17 PM, Ecoboomer2024 said:

The oil pressure light flickered on and I stopped the engine and coasted to a layby

Just now, Tizer said:

Other people have complained that their Brakes failed after their Wet Belt Engines failed.

Sure, but I'm just saying they are two different issues.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club