Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What should i do with the old thing

Michael9

There should be a one-way valve in the hand pump.  That stops any back flow.  Maybe it was the wrong way round or angled wrong?  Probably a little arrow on it somewhere.

I use a bit of a cheat method myself, only fit the pump one side and sit it upright so the one way valve is in maximum 'one way' mode.  (There's like a ball bearing that drops to close off the pipe).  This is Mk3 but the filters are similar.

IMG_20180126_102604618.thumb.jpg.39e280f4c89c29446a39640f4b6b221c.jpg

The torx screw is a water drain.  Not really needed nowadays as diesel is rarely contaminated with water now.

Have you tried hand priming whilst cranking the vehicle? 

Also when replacing fuel filters on these i always connect a small pipe and a funnel, then fill the filter with diesel, always fires straight up on the crank then just hold the revs up for 30 seconds.

Without reading everything word for word, have you replaced the fuel filter yet? If you havent this should always be your first starting point on any diesel with fueling/running issues 

Oh and as others have said, use easy start, always a great way just to check the engine is mechanically sound.

10 hours ago, Michael9 said:

Yes it has, i tried it both way but yes the arrow faces outward, i did it the way i watched a few vids last night but nothing worked on mine. Well as i say it starts to very creep up the pipe with air but when leaving the "bulb" go, it slowly went back into the filter.

I watched another video tonight where the guy connected one pipe from the bleeder to the outlet pipe and the other end from the bleeder to the outlet on the filter and seemed to work so will try that tomorrow.

If nothing is going to work there might be an air leak somewhere or maybe the hp pump's packed up. If it's the pump i'll probably scrap it.

I wonder if it's connected to the inlet rather than the outlet on the filter?  If that's the case, you'd be sucking the fuel back from the HP pump & fuel rail rather than sucking it up from the tank.  That would create a fairly strong vacuum whereas the passage from the tank up to the filter should be pretty easy. 

Something odd is going on here but I think it's user error somehow.  We can rule out the HP pump for now if the hand pump can't even suck fuel up.

If you still have no luck with the hand pump then as above, try and fill the filter with diesel.  (If you've got some to hand, I mean, who doesn't have a diesel lawnmower nowadays? :wink: ).  Then give it a sniff of easy start as well.  If the engine won't run briefly on easystart then we can probably assume there's a bigger issue like lost compression or incorrect timing.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:15 AM, Ecosport2019 said:

On 11/26/2022 at 6:19 AM, Ecosport2019 said:

On 11/26/2022 at 10:32 AM, TomsFocus said:

1 hour ago, Michael9 said:

Yes tried easy start as mentioned above and still nothing.

Hmm, that's not a good sign.  Perhaps cambelt should be the next check.  I think you can see the exhaust cam through the oil filler hole on these.  If so, crank the engine with the cap off to check the cam is turning.  

36 minutes ago, Michael9 said:

It's turning what sounds like normal with compression etc just won't bloooody start. I was going to do that but how does one person watch it while starting it 😃

And not happy as just spent £50  few days ago at the local factor on  Bosch filter as it's the first thing i did, then saw them online for £25 😡

I honestly now think it's something more serious than just air or the filter .

Lol, you'll need an assistant.  Or a mirror.  Or place your phone over it on video record.  Or remove the top cambelt cover and watch the pulley instead.

Thing with CR diesel is that it really only needs compression to burn.  No spark and perfect AFR to worry about like on a petrol.  If even easystart won't catch, that suggests compression loss or timing out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

If even easystart won't catch, that suggests compression loss or timing out.

It's like when your poor old granny passes away. She still had all the same parts but they no longer worked together.

Try a shot of brandy (for you, not the car) it tastes better than easystart. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/26/2022 at 2:11 PM, TomsFocus said:

On 11/26/2022 at 4:47 PM, unofix said:

14 hours ago, Michael9 said:

Can that happen without warning ie runs for about 5 secs then stops 

I'm confused now.  Does it run for ~5 seconds on Easystart?  If so, then it is running until the easystart is used up, suggesting that it is just a lack of fuel stopping it running under its own steam.

• Like 1

go on the ford FB forums there must be someone near you thats had or knows of the problem, its easier o sort a problem when its infront of you instead of trying describe it. My ex used to want help with the crosswords but wouldnt let me see the grid haha

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Michael9 said:

Sorry Tom i didn't say it properly..

What i meant when you said it could be the timing belt or pump etc, does it happen right away without warning. I guess the belt will as it will just snap and that's that. The pump might just "go" too without warning i don't know.

No still doesn't go with easy start, I was bleeding it sucking it from the outlet pipe and watching it come out the inlet and when it did or does connect them up quickly but still wouldn't start.

Then tried easy start and still nothing

My fingers now hovering over the scrappy number.

Belts don't always snap, they can just skip a few teeth and knock the valve timing out.  But yes, if it does snap, it'll usually lock up immediately.  Unless it causes enough valve/lifter damage that the pistons are still free to move up and down.  But then you wouldn't hear the compression - although I've been caught out there before, thinking I could hear some compression on a small petrol, despite there being a massive hole in the piston! :laugh:

HP pump failure is a bit different.  If they're just worn, they will be able to create pressure eventually after extended cranking, and maybe maintain it at low rpms as well.  They rarely just explode and fail suddenly.

As you've put so much into it now, I really would try Forscan as a last ditch attempt.  I take it you've got a laptop or smartphone.  For the sake of £20 it's worth getting a Tunnelrat cable or dongle...and you'll always have that for any future Fords as well.  

4 hours ago, Michael9 said:

I don't find it that hard to describe certain things i also don't use it as it's usually full idiots and kbw's

the point can be misconstrued no matter how well described, hells bells what a word for a sunday night haha

9 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Belts don't always snap, they can just skip a few teeth and knock the valve timing out.  But yes, if it does snap, it'll usually lock up immediately.  Unless it causes enough valve/lifter damage that the pistons are still free to move up and down.  But then you wouldn't hear the compression - although I've been caught out there before, thinking I could hear some compression on a small petrol, despite there being a massive hole in the piston! :laugh:

HP pump failure is a bit different.  If they're just worn, they will be able to create pressure eventually after extended cranking, and maybe maintain it at low rpms as well.  They rarely just explode and fail suddenly.

As you've put so much into it now, I really would try Forscan as a last ditch attempt.  I take it you've got a laptop or smartphone.  For the sake of £20 it's worth getting a Tunnelrat cable or dongle...and you'll always have that for any future Fords as well.  

That's right i forgot they don't always snap and can easily slip teeth and as you'll know unless it's a non interference then it's party over. I do hear compression though.

Yes i was reading through a few things on the pumps what i don't like doing especially with diesels is prolonged starting with possible no lubrication .

You're right ie the Forscan, yes got the phone (android) and laptop but it's an old Macbook so unless it worked on IOS i'd need to either run visual XP or 10 or get a Windows laptop. i have the F super 2 is that any good.

9 hours ago, Michael9 said:

i have the F super 2 is that any good.

Never tried it myself, nothing to lose if you've already got it though.

Got the dam thing started

Was air locked right enough but used the "home start" from AA, now this what i don't get and said to him. i used "start ya barstwerd" (easy start lol) now it kind of kicked to start but nothing with me spraying in the air box hole and my mother turning the key, now...

Mr AA turns up sees what i did and said he could go away again as I've tried to get it going. I told yes it went then suddenly stopped and didn't start again BEFORE putting a new filter on, he was sure i caused it. I said then bled it and showed him what i did and with the easy start. He said ok get in and i'll say when to try it.

Now 2 things..

1..He prised the rubber pipe at the turbo off and sprayed about 1ft away from it, i turned the key and fired up.....I sprayed through the air box hole with the filter out....what's the difference?

2..He said using east start is really a 2 man job, well on Fords as you need someone to spray it and another trying to start. So why have a can of this stuff if that's the case.

• Like 2

Excellent so your keeping it now ???????? haha

Good to hear it's running again!

Only difference I can see would be the MAF.  If that was getting wet with easystart it might have caused some odd readings.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Excellent so your keeping it now ???????? haha

Watch this space 😊

29 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Good to hear it's running again!

Only difference I can see would be the MAF.  If that was getting wet with easystart it might have caused some odd readings.  

And cause it not to start as it didn't, why didn't the AA guy say that ie the MAF maybe getting wet.

I'll say this, if it's getting kept (depending on what needs done for the MOT) and changing filters again. Yes it bled fine but if i have to use easy start again i'll be crapping it.

Should it need 2 to use that stuff ie one turning as the other sprays.

• Like 1

Can anyone shed any light on why the AA guy got stroppy plus wouldn't say why not to spray easy start on the air box hole.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club