Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 litre Ecoboost, is it reliable or are they likely to fail?

narbar

13 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, only reason I could work out was to match VWs extended service regime especially for company car drivers. VW at least specified different oil for annual or extended changes though - and they don't have wet cambelts.

Yeah, and I think that might also answer why it hasn't happened sooner. It is probably only when one manufacturer takes a leap, for whatever reason (perhaps actually justified, like you say with different oil selection and no wet belt to be concerned about), that all others have to follow suit so as not to be left behind and pale in comparison. It's a race to the bottom unfortunately though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks will look this weekend if the car is still not sold at the dealership.

Unfortunately if it's a 2019 it will very likely be wet belt. Revised engine didn't come in until 2020 but still worth checking as Unofix suggested. Wet belt version below:

IMG_20190308_100132_hdr.jpg

14 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Unfortunately if it's a 2019 it will very likely be wet belt. Revised engine didn't come in until 2020 but still worth checking as Unofix suggested. Wet belt version below:

IMG_20190308_100132_hdr.jpg

That's bit depressing but thanks for the info. Might check anyways as you said. Had 3 Fords before getting my Mazda and miss the quick clear wind screen, the handling and comfort of Ford cars. The Mazda takes ages to defrost evey frosty morning.

12 hours ago, James said:

Was looking at a 2019 Vignale recently with the 1l ecoboost engine. Have the issues been fixed for that model year? 

You don't say whether that's a Fiesta or Focus?  2019 Focus will have the chain engine.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, only reason I could work out was to match VWs extended service regime especially for company car drivers. VW at least specified different oil for annual or extended changes though - and they don't have wet cambelts.

Couldn't believe it when I first switched to VW...cambelt change recommended with every other Longlife oil change! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

You don't say whether that's a Fiesta or Focus?  2019 Focus will have the chain engine.

Good point - most of the thread is about Fiestas so made that assumption. Let's hope it's a Focus!

• Like 2

James, you seem like a nice chap and I would hate for you to be the next person joining Facebook page 'Ford Ecoboost Nightmare', so I'll risk mentioning it again.

If you really want a Ford there are plenty of options that don't have the 1.0 'wet belt' engine. Some of the members on here have wide experience of what those options are.

Having seen belt deterioration both on an old belt, and a relatively new one (which I had replaced myself), I don't accept the notion that it's purely down to servicing. 

I believe there may be other confounding factors to explain why most get away with it (or think they are doing) and many others don't, but why risk it?

• Like 3

Is it true that Ford will only consider warranty claims for wet belt failure on vehicles up to 8 years old with Ford full service history?

1 minute ago, Mookev said:

Is it true that Ford will only consider warranty claims for wet belt failure on vehicles up to 8 years old with Ford full service history?

Yes and No. Ford UK will in most cases not consider any claim if the vehicle is out of the normal 3 year warranty. In exceptional circumstances they will look at making a good will gesture towards the cost of a new engine if you have a full Ford dealer service record, and it has been done exactly on time.

The Ford contribution never works out to be of any value since they will expect that you will pay around £5000 and that the work has to be done at a main Ford dealer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RayC333 said:

I would hate for you to be the next person joining Facebook page 'Ford Ecoboost Nightmare', so I'll risk mentioning it again.

I've been having a look at that and didn't find it very illuminating. As we know, ecoboost is a general term for Ford turbocharged petrol engines so they seem to cover all types and all kinds of failure on there, not just the wet belt issue.

As with the BBC  "Watchdog" item a while back, many of the owners had not had the cars from new, so they didn't know the history 100%. In some cases they admitted that services had been late or missed altogether, and the odd car was over 10 years old when the belt failed.

• Like 2

For what it’s worth and it’s not related to the engine, my early Mk8 ST is way out of warranty and from what I can tell was never serviced at Ford and they contributed to a steering column. 

I’d love to say my diplomacy skills were the cause but I doubt that was worth the £950! They did ask about Ford cars in the household, likelihood of buying more and servicing habits when asked though.  

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Yes and No. Ford UK will in most cases not consider any claim if the vehicle is out of the normal 3 year warranty. In exceptional circumstances they will look at making a good will gesture towards the cost of a new engine if you have a full Ford dealer service record, and it has been done exactly on time.

The Ford contribution never works out to be of any value since they will expect that you will pay around £5000 and that the work has to be done at a main Ford dealer.

Interesting. My 2016 1.0 ecoboost is fine at 40k mls but is 8 yrs old this March, I'm seriously moving the annual service to a trusted independent garage I've used for years, having previously used a ford dealer. I bought the car at 3 years and as the service was due, it was done free by the independent garage selling it. They assured me the correct grade Shell oil was used. My mileage is about 5k a year and I plan to change the belt at 10yrs, as its a great car I really like.

8 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Sorry Ford Focus my Bad.

6 hours ago, RayC333 said:

James, you seem like a nice chap and I would hate for you to be the next person joining Facebook page 'Ford Ecoboost Nightmare', so I'll risk mentioning it again.

If you really want a Ford there are plenty of options that don't have the 1.0 'wet belt' engine. Some of the members on here have wide experience of what those options are.

Having seen belt deterioration both on an old belt, and a relatively new one (which I had replaced myself), I don't accept the notion that it's purely down to servicing. 

I believe there may be other confounding factors to explain why most get away with it (or think they are doing) and many others don't, but why risk it?

Because of the short journeys I'm doing Monday to Friday I rather petrol and unfortunately the 1.5 / 1.6 petrol versions are not sold in my Country unless it's imported. I have to bring my Diesel Mazda on a Motorway run a few times a month to keep the DPF from blocking up. I bought the car when my journeys were longer. I Like the look of the mk4 Focus and the new Fiesta as well especially in Vignale form. I may keep looking if the Ecoboost engine is too risky. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, James said:

Sorry Ford Focus my Bad.

Thought it might be.

In that case, all Mk4 Focus 1.0 use the revised engine with a chain for the cams, but still a wet belt for the oil pump.

So far, they have proven to be more reliable.  Though obviously they haven't been around as long so not a direct comparison.  Correct servicing is still strongly recommended.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Thought it might be.

In that case, all Mk4 Focus 1.0 use the revised engine with a chain for the cams, but still a wet belt for the oil pump.

So far, they have proven to be more reliable.  Though obviously they haven't been around as long so not a direct comparison.  Correct servicing is still strongly recommended.

Thanks for the advise. I'm still undecided but always liked my Ford's. Also the Ecoboost has Torsion beam at the back. Does it affect the handling much? I only test drove one a short distance. 

20 hours ago, James said:

That's bit depressing but thanks for the info. Might check anyways as you said. Had 3 Fords before getting my Mazda and miss the quick clear wind screen, the handling and comfort of Ford cars. The Mazda takes ages to defrost evey frosty morning.

Advice: Don’t!  They are not worth the hassle & grief.You have to ask yourself, why did the previous owners move it on? Get yourself a Toyota or something Japanese.If mine let’s go, the car goes & I won’t purchase another one.

13 minutes ago, Hackney said:

Advice: Don’t!  They are not worth the hassle & grief.You have to ask yourself, why did the previous owners move it on? Get yourself a Toyota or something Japanese.If mine let’s go, the car goes & I won’t purchase another one.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have been looking at Toyota Corolla Hybrids as well. The Japanese are good at making reliable Petrol/hybrid engines not so much with Diesel. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks for the advise. I'm still undecided but always liked my Ford's. Also the Ecoboost has Torsion beam at the back. Does it affect the handling much? I only test drove one a short distance. 

Mk4 Focus Vignale all got independent rear suspension regardless of engine.

Must admit I had 2 Mk4's, one early Titanium X and the other an Active Vignale, both on IRS, and wasn't particularly impressed with the suspension comfort on either.  I haven't driven one on twist-beam so can't comment on that.  All I can suggest is taking one for a longer test drive before committing.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have been looking at Toyota Corolla Hybrids as well. The Japanese are good at making reliable Petrol/hybrid engines not so much with Diesel. 

Corolla Hybrid would be an excellent choice.Proven reliability, & as we all know Toyota is pretty well bulletproof, as is anything from Honda(showing my bias there though!)

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Mk4 Focus Vignale all got independent rear suspension regardless of engine.

Must admit I had 2 Mk4's, one early Titanium X and the other an Active Vignale, both on IRS, and wasn't particularly impressed with the suspension comfort on either.  I haven't driven one on twist-beam so can't comment on that.  All I can suggest is taking one for a longer test drive before committing.

Yeah I might do that. Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Mookev said:

I plan to change the belt at 10yrs,

Just a couple of things to mention.

• Firstly and importantly 10 years is the MAXIMUM recommended age at which to change the wet belt, don't think of it as a target that must be reached.
  • Secondly are you expecting to keep the car for another 12 years ? If not then change the belt now. That would still give you potentially another 10 years before you would need to do it again, by which time the vehicle would just be worth scrap value.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've been having a look at that and didn't find it very illuminating. 

I guess we see what we want or hope to see. Yes it's messy, no it's not all 1.0 wet belt, no they don't all have a squeaky clean Ford service record (nice if you can afford to), but I very much resonate with the sheer frustration that many have faced.

I don't have the good fortune of saying nothing has happened, plus I've actually seen what happens to the belts, relatively quickly, even in the correct oil.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RayC333 said:

but I very much resonate with the sheer frustration that many have faced.

Yes, I think everyone would agree Ford's response, whatever the underlying cause, leaves much to be desired (putting it diplomatically!).

One more worrying aspect, touched on in the Facebook group, is issues with the oil pump belt (which of course is still present in the revised ecoboosts) deteriorating and causing the same problem of blockage. Did you see any evidence of this in your own investigations, Ray?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Did you see any evidence of this in your own investigations, Ray?

No I didn't Eric. The oil pump belt (which I have in front of me now) shows some signs of wear but nothing like the deterioration I've seen on my cambelts. Maybe that's down to a lighter duty cycle or construction?

Images show the actual (original Ford) oil pump belt. I replaced it anyway after the first cambelt change; didn't feel the need to replace it again when I fitted the second cambelt.

Having said all that I'm told the later chain driven version/auto gearbox version have different oil pumps, belts and tensioner?

IMG_20240120_002738411.jpg

IMG_20240120_003133350.jpg

IMG_20240120_003151608.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club