Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus In Car Entertainment & Gadgets

sonic113

Sonic, what on earth is a bird bath led?!?

It's LED's for the little storage compartment in the rear of the centre console.

The one that looks like a bird bath :P

• Like 2

Sonic, what on earth is a bird bath led?!?

Sorry I was wondering where I type that lol!

if you mean "bird bath LED" from my signature then its the small pocket at the back of the arm rest and just add a LED to it (Thanks to Lenny for the mod). If you search the forum you can find pictures of this mod done. It actually is very practical as you can see whats in the pocket in dark. :)

It's LED's for the little storage compartment in the rear of the centre console.

The one that looks like a bird bath :P

Thanks for explaining this one lol! :)

Ah bugger it, in for a penny an all that, 5162 ordered, I choose a uk stocked camera as apposed to getting the bundle firstly it's cheaper and secondly, if it goes wrong it can be dealt with easily. The rear cam does indeed replace a numberplate fitting , there is a wee LED or two on the cam so shouldn't lose much light. Just hope it matches my existing number plate smds!

I've got my eyes on igo primo 2 for navigation software, didn't see the point folking out for the maps when I was going to use my own anyway. Being win CE I hope to be able to mod this a bit, CE isn't known for its security unlike iOS and windows phone, in many ways its easier to play with then android, just depends on how they built the software so we shall see, looks pretty good anyway from thevids out there

you beat me to it lol! :)

do you have a link for your UK seller? Its probably best to use a UK seller as you stated if any thing goes wrong it can be dealt with easy enough.

I don't know much about map software but is igo Primo 2 the best one to use? I would be highly interested to see ho you get on with your installation and loading the new map on this unit so do please keep us updated.

Couldn't find a uk seller I was happy to purchase from, so took the bullet and went through eonon.com

I'll make sure I have plenty of photos installing it, the navigation software would be straight forward, I grew up using CE and windows mobile, it "should" be as simple as dumping the program , maps and all the data (POIs, voice, etc) on an SD card, then pointing the path sent to it, this is also the method to hack it I suspect, using something like total commander in place of the nav software, we can explore the file system and potentially make some changes

With the reversing camera do you wire it to come on when you put the car into reverse or is it a manual process to turn it on?

With the reversing camera do you wire it to come on when you put the car into reverse or is it a manual process to turn it on?

ill tell you in a week or so ;) but from what I gather, the camera is connected to the reverse light for power (easy in my case as ive already run the wires to it for the illuminated ford badge!) when power is applied, the camera signal is sent to the HU, which it detects and I believe turns on the screen automatically, I don't think there is any further tweaking needed
  • Like 1

Yes it should just come on automatically when reverse is selected. Looking forward to your installation pics and it sounds straight forward on the sat nav software so hopefully all goes well. When I get mine I will install the rear parking camera just as the option is there.

Just had this response from Eonon on eBay

Dear customer,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

About the camera, it will not replace your number plate, please check attach picture for where it to install it.

And for the bluetooth, it has built-in microphone in the control panel.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.
Have a nice day.
Sincerely
Lisa

Just had this response from Eonon on Ebay

Dear customer,

Thank you for your interest in our products.

About the camera, it will not replace your number plate, please check attach picture for where it to install it.

And for the Bluetooth, it has built-in microphone in the control panel.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely

Lisa

you can get number plate cams which would be ok with this HU as well, its basically a holder that holds the number plate and on top in the middle it has the camera, personally I like the number plate light cameras, sits nice and tidy under the lip above the number plate and is largely unnoticeable, an probably easier to install too as im not sure if there is any access through the boot door behind the number plate, but the number plate lights have a handy grommet already in place.

In theory, because this is WinCE we should be able to get lots of things working on it without buggering it up (backup stuff first!)

Word of warning, the CPU isn't amazing, they talk it up a lot about being an Arm 11 CPU and what not but its several generations behind even low end phone CPUs we have now, I had a pda about 10 years ago that was as good as this one so please don't think its going to be as quick and smooth as the latest piece of iTrash (Sorry, I cant resist!) it wont, but it should function well enough for this.

• Like 1

you can get number plate cams which would be ok with this HU as well, its basically a holder that holds the number plate and on top in the middle it has the camera, personally I like the number plate light cameras, sits nice and tidy under the lip above the number plate and is largely unnoticeable, an probably easier to install too as im not sure if there is any access through the boot door behind the number plate, but the number plate lights have a handy grommet already in place.

In theory, because this is WinCE we should be able to get lots of things working on it without buggering it up (backup stuff first!)

Word of warning, the CPU isn't amazing, they talk it up a lot about being an Arm 11 CPU and what not but its several generations behind even low end phone CPUs we have now, I had a pda about 10 years ago that was as good as this one so please don't think its going to be as quick and smooth as the latest piece of iTrash (Sorry, I cant resist!) it wont, but it should function well enough for this.

I agree with the rear camera number plate surround. They do look neat and tidy.

Also agree with the itrash comment lol! :)

I think the ARM 11 should be OK for this unit and at the end of the day its in the car its not going to be a high tech lap top or anything that your going to do HD video editing with lol! :) so as long as it runs the interface and the sat nav smooth enough I think I could live with that.

I am just wondering does the unit we where looking at allow album art on the mp3?'s if not hopefully its possible to mod the software or something and if its a no go then its not the end of the world but I like the idea of the album art, Its a nice touch.

I am just wondering does the unit we where looking at allow album art on the mp3?'s if not hopefully its possible to mod the software or something and if its a no go then its not the end of the world but I like the idea of the album art, Its a nice touch.

Im not sure it does as it stands but because its CE and that's essentially what Windows Mobile runs on there should be options available.

The biggest problem I can see with that though (after getting it running in the first place) is the display, getting it to run in landscape might be an issue ( HTC Touch Sense had a good UI that had good album art options, but it was all portrait, the landscape version was a bit doddgy and quite slow and that was with a 1GHz Snapdragon, albeit but without GPU acceleration) and also the audio stalk, im not sure how the HU interacts with it and if it would be possible to use third party software with it.

If the software is locked down then it might be possible to change an existing function to use third party programs, for example, the TV option would be pointless for me so changing it to do something else may be easier then adding a new button.

Lots of ifs and buts, but hopefully potential as well :)

• Like 1

Im not sure it does as it stands but because its CE and that's essentially what Windows Mobile runs on there should be options available.

The biggest problem I can see with that though (after getting it running in the first place) is the display, getting it to run in landscape might be an issue ( HTC Touch Sense had a good UI that had good album art options, but it was all portrait, the landscape version was a bit doddgy and quite slow and that was with a 1GHz Snapdragon, albeit but without GPU acceleration) and also the audio stalk, im not sure how the HU interacts with it and if it would be possible to use third party software with it.

If the software is locked down then it might be possible to change an existing function to use third party programs, for example, the TV option would be pointless for me so changing it to do something else may be easier then adding a new button.

Lots of ifs and buts, but hopefully potential as well :)

I guess only time will tell lol! :)

ok, well its in!

First impressions were good, good box, well packaged up. The HU its self is relatively good quality, buttons feel sturdy, id say the two knobs look and feel a little cheap though, I think ill find some replacements for those as it really does lower the overall look.

Installing the GPS antenna, was simple enough although I did brake one of the clips on the A pillar.

Whilst I was there I ran a video cable from the boot for the reverse cam, after going through the boot I ran it across to the rear dome light, then across to the left rear passenger door, I then fed it along the existing loom to the front and down the A pillar as well.

As a bit of an after thought I figured id replace the existing mic next to the front dome lights with the one in the kit as I didn't fancy having it on display and wasn't sure how good the built in one on the HU was, turns out the cable wasn't long enough (got to fuse box) but I think its ok without it, ill extend it and compare the two later.

Fitting the HU was a piece of cake but its a tight fit with all those cables in there.

Running the device was straight forward and easy to work out.

GPS, ive used iGo primo 2, it works pretty good, the legalities of this is probably something this forum wont condone though so I wont give any details publicly how to go about trying different things out.

Plays SDcard music from a 32GB card fine and music/voice from BT on my phone, the audio quality id say is better then the OEM head unit, although BT voice audio (not BT music) is a noticeably poor then OEM.

Like many sources have said, the Radio is a bit odd, it seems its no where near as sensitive as the OEM unit, so much so I think im going to wire in a powered amp, I know the signal quality is good, but for whatever reason the HU doesn't pick it up so well, boosting it might help.

There's only been two issues, first is it doesn't light up with headlights, turning OFF headlight activation turns on the leds, or you can manually select day/night more by tapping the sun/moon at the top. Ive been reading a few folk say this.

the Second issue is that for reasons unknown (yet) it switches to the radio by itself, ill need to investigate a bit more. ive not seen any other mention of this.

Overall

Im impressed with the GPS, and the audio off the SD card and BT works perfect which is the main reasons I wanted this one. The radio needs some work but I didn't really use it that much so for me, its been worth the money.

more to follow!

• Like 1

ok, well its in!

First impressions were good, good box, well packaged up. The HU its self is relatively good quality, buttons feel sturdy, id say the two knobs look and feel a little cheap though, I think ill find some replacements for those as it really does lower the overall look.

Installing the GPS antenna, was simple enough although I did brake one of the clips on the A pillar.

Whilst I was there I ran a video cable from the boot for the reverse cam, after going through the boot I ran it across to the rear dome light, then across to the left rear passenger door, I then fed it along the existing loom to the front and down the A pillar as well.

As a bit of an after thought I figured id replace the existing mic next to the front dome lights with the one in the kit as I didn't fancy having it on display and wasn't sure how good the built in one on the HU was, turns out the cable wasn't long enough (got to fuse box) but I think its ok without it, ill extend it and compare the two later.

Fitting the HU was a piece of cake but its a tight fit with all those cables in there.

Running the device was straight forward and easy to work out.

GPS, ive used iGo primo 2, it works pretty good, the legalities of this is probably something this forum wont condone though so I wont give any details publicly how to go about trying different things out.

Plays SDcard music from a 32GB card fine and music/voice from BT on my phone, the audio quality id say is better then the OEM head unit, although BT voice audio (not BT music) is a noticeably poor then OEM.

Like many sources have said, the Radio is a bit odd, it seems its no where near as sensitive as the OEM unit, so much so I think im going to wire in a powered amp, I know the signal quality is good, but for whatever reason the HU doesn't pick it up so well, boosting it might help.

There's only been two issues, first is it doesn't light up with headlights, turning OFF headlight activation turns on the leds, or you can manually select day/night more by tapping the sun/moon at the top. Ive been reading a few folk say this.

the Second issue is that for reasons unknown (yet) it switches to the radio by itself, ill need to investigate a bit more. ive not seen any other mention of this.

Overall

Im impressed with the GPS, and the audio off the SD card and BT works perfect which is the main reasons I wanted this one. The radio needs some work but I didn't really use it that much so for me, its been worth the money.

more to follow!

excellent stuff.

I'm hoping to get one ordered soon. do you have any pictures of it installed?

can yo do a few pics or a video of the sat nav section?

whats the speed like, i know its not going to be super fast but is it 100% for whats the HU is for?

:)

ive got a lot on just now for making videos but ill take some pictures tonight, the fit is snug but there is a slight gap down the bottom of the trim. o went for the black option based on the idea that if silver wasn't perfect it would look worse, giving it contrast should get around that, after putting it in ive got mixed feelings, id have rather it OEM but only if it was an exact match so I think the black was a good compromise.

using the screen is fine, there is a slight lag to some things and not others, scrolling around the main menu for example is fluid, but switching from one option to the next does have a very slight stutter for a fraction of a second. BT can have a fit if you try to listen to audio then download the contacts from your phone at the same time. selecting reverse (with cam enabled) stops the music which to be fair probably isn't a bad thing.

I have it set to load SD card up automatically and it does so fine. Ive emailed Eonon today to ask about a couple of things so I shall hopefully see how their support is too.

• Like 1

How easy was it to wire the reversing camera so the screen turns on when put in reverse?

Does the stalk on the steering wheel still work with volume etc?

I have heard the microphone isnt very good with the unit so wanted to use the existing one built into the roof, is this possible?

Cheers

Allister

ive got a lot on just now for making videos but ill take some pictures tonight, the fit is snug but there is a slight gap down the bottom of the trim. o went for the black option based on the idea that if silver wasn't perfect it would look worse, giving it contrast should get around that, after putting it in ive got mixed feelings, id have rather it OEM but only if it was an exact match so I think the black was a good compromise.using the screen is fine, there is a slight lag to some things and not others, scrolling around the main menu for example is fluid, but switching from one option to the next does have a very slight stutter for a fraction of a second. BT can have a fit if you try to listen to audio then download the contacts from your phone at the same time. selecting reverse (with cam enabled) stops the music which to be fair probably isn't a bad thing.I have it set to load SD card up automatically and it does so fine. Ive emailed Eonon today to ask about a couple of things so I shall hopefully see how their support is too.

Great stuff. Looking forward to pictures. Lwet us know how eonon service is and hopefully you can get the little niggles sorted out. I will go for the silver one I think. I also will be using SD card for music, does it show any album art or just song names etc?

No album art, shows Folder view of the card with tracks , much like you have in windows but finger friendly.

All buttons on the audio stalk work fine cept the voice command button, I think you can a sign that to another task if you want, don't know about you but I never liked the voice commands anyway.

Running the wires from the boot hatch to the front was a little bit of a pain but not a major one, you. Have power there all you need is the reverse light feed (splice and run up from the reverse cable) the you need to run the cables through the rubber grommet thing at the top the reverse cables will drop down the side in to the boot area the video cable I ran to the rear dome first, then across to the door, then to the front, I used a thick but flexible earth wire to fish in through each stage.

Just now I don't have a camera attached the wires it just secured for the camera to arrive. Which is interesting cuz the HU still knows it goes in to reverse but there isn't anything plugged in to it.

Oh the mic seems to work OK, its built in to the front of the hu, I've phoned a few folk an no complaints, I was going to swap out the mic in the froof for the one in the box, but if I could trace the wires down it might be possible to cut in to it, only thing is the ford BT modual is still in and working and I'm not sure I want to cut up the original wires to release the mic so yes you probably could wire in the existing mic, but I think a better long term solution would be to wire in the new one just in case you need to put the old hu back

Sounds great, thanks for the advise.

Would be great if you could put up some pics when you get chance of how you wired the reverse camera etc.

Cheers

Allister

I can probably cook something up, once the camera arrives ill rip it all open again an take some photos of it all

Aye, that's the one

Update on customer service, I had a reply from them today, so took approx a day to get back to me, which I think is perfectly fine. They have given me a bunch of info to try and made some practical suggestions, overall, so far so good. I contacted them for a bunch of stuff

Q1, headlight on doesn't turn on the LEDs in the HU

A, Find the pink wire that goes in to the canbus module and cut it, connect that to a headlight on cable, ie the LEDs for the quick clear buttons below the HU.

Q2, The HU doesn't work when the car is turned off (like OEM does)

A, connect the ACC power cable going to the HU and connect to a 12v always on line. Will drain the battery if not turned off as it wont turn off by itself.

Q3, Poor AM/FM quality

A, Suggestion to remove HU, make sure cables firmly seated, connect and remove several times to be sure, make sure correct region was setup, Turn off the LOC function (not sure what that is yet) try an different antenna, possibly a indoor home one with an booster to help remove possible causes. (Seems a lot of Faf, but id rather try all this then ship it back) I suspect there is an FM booster In the car somewhere that isn't getting any juice now the OEM HU isn't plugged in, if so that will expose it!

pictures, ill get on it soon!

I had an easier job with the reverse light wiring as mine didn't run under the floor but came straight up from the lamp through a grommet to the main loom wiring behind the rear left hand boot carpet. This then married up with the wiring I'd routed from the tailgate camera.

Still not worked out how to keep the audio on while the reverse camera is on screen, just can't see any menu options which covers it.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club