Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost - advice on economic driving

Vectorspace

5 hours ago, Convert said:

as you will know doubt know even with the 1ltr engine, 3rd will see you in illegal territory!. 

Sometimes second is over the legal speed limit too. My mk7.5 fiesta ST-Line 140 does over 60 in second gear and the gearing will differ from the mk8 with a 6 speed box. 

The problem is that engine and a fiesta  is to much fun for eco driving ive had it down to 17.5 mpg over 25 miles of twisty fun.

4 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The 140 does 26.16mph per 1,000rpm in 6th, so 2,675 rpm at 70. I find mine very relaxed at this speed.

Did you get that figure by looking at your dash at an indicated 70 or have you got info on the gear ratios?

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

Did you get that figure by looking at your dash at an indicated 70 or have you got info on the gear ratios?

Gear ratios are usually listed on ford etis if you're looking for them. 

2 hours ago, Blatto said:

On 7/30/2019 at 9:34 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

If it's any help, the mph per 1,000 rpm figures for the Mk 8 140 are:

1st   4.84

2nd  8.45

3rd  12.99

4th  17.59

5th  21.94

6th  26.16

Can't remember where I got the figures now, probably a road test/review somewhere, when I was researching the car.

I've managed to keep my 1.0 Ecoboost at around 55mpg for the last 2 months. 

Driving carefully, following behind trucks for the reduced wind resistance etc. It's possible to get it high if you really think about everything you do. 

Also, I don't know if anyone else mentioned this but my car let's me activate start/stop without the handbrake. If I stop at lights I can hold it on the foot brake (in neutral) and it activates just fine. I recently bought a new battery (it was ruined before I ever bought the car) and they claim its good for I think I was 150,000 starts, which is more then you'll ever do in your life time. 

For economy purposes I try to run it in 4th gear for 30, 5th gear 40 or above. Going lower than those speeds starts to have detrimental effect. 

You don't need to use the handbrake for stop/start.

Here are the gear ratios for different gearboxes for the fiesta

mk7.5 - 5 speed manual :

1st : 3.583

2nd : 1.926

3rd : 1.281

4th : 0.951

5th : 0.756    

Reverse : 3.62

Differential : 4.56

mk8 - 6 speed manual :

1st : 3.417

2nd : 1.958

3rd : 1.276

4th : 0.943

5th : 0.757

6th : 0.634

Reverse : 3.833

Differential : 3.941

mk8 - 6 speed automatic (torque converter) :

1st : 4.584 

2nd : 2.964 (10.2)

3rd : 1.912 (6.58)

4th : 1.446 (4.97)

5th : 1 (3.44)

6th : 0.746 (2.57)

Reverse : 2.943

Differential : 3.15

hope this helps 🙂 

these are the graphs for RPM vs SPEED for every gear, these are two graphs for the 5 speed manual and the 6 speed manual , I couldn't find a graph for the 6 speed automatic 🙂 

manual6.png

manual5.png

These are the horsepower/torque curves for the Ecoboost 100, Ecoboost 125, Ecoboost 140 🙂 note the power band for each engine 🙂 

hp100.png

hp125.png

hp140.png

• Like 1

Thanks for those @Eng_Ahmad1986, I find these things most interesting. The power/torque graphs in particular confirm the way the different engines feel to me - the 100/125 reaching maximum torque quite abruptly, in an almost diesel-like way, the 140 more "rounded" (like the curve) and progressive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

Here are the gear ratios for different gearboxes for the fiesta

Thanks for that and the graphs, very interesting.

• Like 1

this is a very good website for calculating speed vs rpm for different gears , just supply the gear ratios and your tire diameter, it can be handy when you change your tires to a size other than factory specs to know your actual speed according to the tires installed 🙂

https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear.aspx

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club