Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bashs ST 150 daily and track use.

bashbarnard
聽Share

You don't know how much I wanted to see an update from you 馃槄. Just a few days ago was looking at you topic. Those wheels don't look bad.聽

Have you looked at that BMW turbo? The one hdi tuning suggests? He made a guide on installing it. I'd personally get the 110 injectors and either a hybrid turbo or the BMW one as you can make around 190hp from the engine. You'd get around 145hp with the 110 injectors and turbo which I don't think is a great gain when a standard map from hdi tuning is only 25hp less.聽

• Like 2

Thanks. [emoji16] The updates are slow as I've been super busy which is a real shame. I've had shows to prep for that are pug related as you can see and various other life stuff getting in the way.

The turbos I am tempted to fit the BMW one. It requires fabrication which isn't an issue off I had a workshop. As you say the focus turbo is only 25 more hp. But most people forget it's whats under the curve and max figure people forget. You can have two cars at 150 hp and one will completely destroy the other in a race. My current plans are a gtd1244vz which is tiny tiny. Actually produces less than the focus turbo. But it's instant boost and more "power" throughout the rev range. Im not about internet bragging rights. [emoji1787] I like to just drive stuff I've built.

On a side note I want to "stage 1" it while in awaiting money to build up again. I refuse to pay someone to do such things so it looks like in about to learn edc16 ECUs [emoji23]. I've got a fair amount of experience on edc15 for someone that does it as a hobby side of things. So I should be able to wing it and get it right over a few maps and many evenings with coffee.

So had a couple of problems arise this week. A week before in due to drive it 1000 miles [emoji23]. I've bodged the header tank. I've got a new one on order.

My egr has started to fault. Hass anyone got kess locally? In between Ipswich and bury st Edmunds. It's time for a remap. Like now.

Apprently these don't respond well to mpps. 83f84abb139d3bf9d55cea76bed3c2fe.jpg

You should blank off the EGR with a blanking plate. Will stop that crud from sticking the valves up and stop an EML from coming on. I have had no engine light come on for the EGR since I blanked it so means a nap isn't needed to remove the EGR from the ECU

• Like 1

You should blank off the EGR with a blanking plate. Will stop that crud from sticking the valves up and stop an EML from coming on. I have had no engine light come on for the EGR since I blanked it so means a nap isn't needed to remove the EGR from the ECU
This is actually incorrect. The light for yours will come on. The edc16 ECU also detects air flow as well and the parameters for that will just be within tolerance as yours was probably mostly clogged up. I promise you it will come on in the end. Basically he ECU looks at three main things
The valve functioning.
Engine load
Air flow

At a certain engine load the ECU will open the egr, the egr gasses then push through creating less air flow reading on the MAF as it's getting a small majority from the egr.

The egr learns it's values so if yours is mostly clogged when you blank it. You will indeed get away with blanking. But at some point. 6 weeks 6 months a year. Eventually it'll catch it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with that one.

I also tried of a way to word this without sounding rude as it's really difficult online to not sound like a jerk as text doesn't portray tone as well. Im not being a ***** and saying haha you did it wrong. Im just passing on information that you may not no. In a nice way. So you can prepare.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bashbarnard said:

This is actually incorrect. The light for yours will come on. The edc16 ECU also detects air flow as well and the parameters for that will just be within tolerance as yours was probably mostly clogged up. I promise you it will come on in the end. Basically he ECU looks at three main things
The valve functioning.
Engine load
Air flow

At a certain engine load the ECU will open the egr, the egr gasses then push through creating less air flow reading on the MAF as it's getting a small majority from the egr.

The egr learns it's values so if yours is mostly clogged when you blank it. You will indeed get away with blanking. But at some point. 6 weeks 6 months a year. Eventually it'll catch it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news with that one.

I also tried of a way to word this without sounding rude as it's really difficult online to not sound like a jerk as text doesn't portray tone as well. Im not being a ***** and saying haha you did it wrong. Im just passing on information that you may not no. In a nice way. So you can prepare.

No worries 馃槉. Thing is I cleaned the EGR out and blanked it in January last year and nothing has come up. No fault codes I believe as well. Might of got lucky don't know. Did also clean up the intake manifold and that was sooted up. The main job that was getting done then was getting the injectors reconditioned as one was leaking.聽

• Like 1

So on the weekend. I "cleaned" the cat as t was dirty. Blanked the egr and had a good look round ready for a remap. The guys who done this came to my work. Remapped it while I was there. 拢150 all in. Highly recommended them. I'll get Thier details to post up. It wasn't without issues though. After the remap no difference after first test drive.
Same after second attempt.
Same after third.

Guy was super cool about it. Said we are 100 percent insured and you're welcome to come to our rr to get it dynoed if you're not happy. If it doesn't make he power we say. Money back etc.

Anyway I paid the guy told him there must be a fault I'd missed. Which does happen. I might be a mechanic but I am by no means perfect. I am human. I miss stuff.

So get it plugged in all reading good etc.

Next step. Pull the MAF out. It was filthy. Gave her a clean. Marginal improrement.

So I gave her the usual disconnect and drive.

***** hell she pulls for 120 hp motor. I am very impressed.a

Need a new maf. Can't afford genuine right now so Im after a decent second hand unit.

TLDR: remap happened. Need new maf ASAP

• Like 1

Update: found a guy with several MAF sensors in Chelmsford. About an hour's drive from me. His happy for me to go down and try them till I find a good one. 拢20 as well so can't grumble. So I'll be flying down there tonight to grab one. Then she's all good for the trip down to Padstow next week. Nothing like cutting it fine. [emoji23]

• Like 2

Wish I can get mine mapped. Just reading by your experience it must be night and day difference.聽

In any chance is does the guy in Chelmsford brake ST150s? I remember seeing a guy I believe in that area selling ST rear beams. Tried buying one but believe he gave it to someone else. No problem as I got one more local abd fitted.聽

4 hours ago, zain611 said:

Wish I can get mine mapped. Just reading by your experience it must be night and day difference.聽

In any chance is does the guy in Chelmsford brake ST150s? I remember seeing a guy I believe in that area selling ST rear beams. Tried buying one but believe he gave it to someone else. No problem as I got one more local abd fitted.聽

Why don't you get yours mapped?聽

• Like 1

Yes he has a few STS up at the farm. Seems like a pretty cool guy. Pet me try the MAF before I forked out the cash. It's all good. I now have a fully functional fiesta again. He also had a few lying about on his drive. f3ad838d2d831d6b99a073b7f68ae703.jpg
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Lenny said:

Why font you get yours mapped?聽

The ULEZ expansion in 2021 they are talking about. Think its pointless spending 拢200 for a map if I won't keep the car longer than a year. If its confirmed then I'd have to sell the car next year and hoping it hasn't lost more value.聽

3 hours ago, bashbarnard said:

Yes he has a few STS up at the farm. Seems like a pretty cool guy. Pet me try the MAF before I forked out the cash. It's all good. I now have a fully functional fiesta again. He also had a few lying about on his drive. f3ad838d2d831d6b99a073b7f68ae703.jpg

Think I'd enjoy it going there. At least you got the MAF sorted 馃憤

• Like 1

So got down here ok. Ran a lot better than it's done in weeks. I've now devolped a little black smoke and a little less power. I suspect I now have a small boost leak somewhere. Which will be rectified when I get home from my holidays. I have tools with me but it's nothing major and I can sort when im home [emoji23]363d7b2240379eb2e1ed6a9c78ab936f.jpg

• Like 2

Update. Im back. It definitely has a boost leak. I suspect I know where from. A bolt snapped off on the egr while blanking before I went. I didn't have time to get it out before I went. So I one bolt jobbed it. Not ideal but occasionally when I need a car these things happen. So that's on my list.

Second thing. I have developed an oil leak. These engines enjoy leaking anyhow. But this is to much. The engine was covers before I went. Now it's really really covered [emoji23] so imma have to clean it down and have a look into why. It's coming down between the gearbox and the engine. Hoping it's the rocker gasket leaking out the side or the o ring on the oil breather. No time to look untill tomorrow or maybe even Monday or Tuesday at this rate.

So yeah fun times. As usual. Will be fixed. I've been dying to try out the acid trick to get bolts out of ally so now's a good time if it's snapped inside the head. We will see. 2333b15cb050edca95e126f71cce9d67.jpg

• Like 2

More ***** happening. Brake siezed last night. Fun times. I've pulled it apart cleaned up and reassembled. She's good to go again. But it will inevitably happen again. So I bought a 300 mm brake upgrade 11a0bcd768051295390bd552ac5001dc.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bashbarnard said:

More ***** happening. Brake siezed last night. Fun times. I've pulled it apart cleaned up and reassembled. She's good to go again. But it will inevitably happen again. So I bought a 300 mm brake upgrade 11a0bcd768051295390bd552ac5001dc.jpg

What car did you get the calipers off of? Will look forward to seeing that. I fitted ST front and rear brakes on mine. Definitely worth the upgrade聽

What car did you get the calipers off of? Will look forward to seeing that. I fitted ST front and rear brakes on mine. Definitely worth the upgrade聽
These are st 170s they're a direct bolt on apart from a 12mm hole needed to be drilled into hub instead of the standard 10mm. You can also use Mondeo callipers but require a spacer
  • Like 1

Hopefully they fit. What size are those mondy wheels? This is what the 278mm brakes look like on the zetec s wheels on mine. Caliper is a little close to the spokes

DSC_0094.JPG

They're 16s as well. It'll be close but the Mondeo st wheels will be fine. They ran a similar calliper standard

• Like 1

Fort of all I am a massive pikey. My drill at work didn't have a 12mm chuck only goes up to ten. So yes. That is a drill bit welded to a half inch socket that I used on my impact gun. Also the brakes are on. c1d5fb35112c83537b2ee1bb797220ee.jpg6a557dc87c752b0db63e76c75ef8fdc5.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So a bit more of an update. Had a bit of black smoke. Turns out one of the Injectors had a big lump of carbon stuck at the tip. Literally knocked it off. Re sealed all the injectors when I was there. No more black smoke.
Also managed to get an st rear brake setup I grab on Tuesday evening. So maybe Saturday evening I might do the st rear brake upgrade. Can't see it taking to long to be honest. 6c0aad360cdfd5ec6bed79fe55b2da82.jpg

• Like 1

It's getting closer to being "track ready" in my eyes. All that's needed now is a new sump. I don't like resealing the old unit and imma mod a sump to allow all the oil to drain. Once that's done it'll get its Frist track outing. Something gentle, just to see out the end of the year. Then I'll do clutch and turbo saving and fitting over winter.

@bashbarnard聽check out my guide for the ST rear brake conversion 馃憤. I'd say it's worth it as I noticed all 4 brakes make contact now.

[mention=103164]bashbarnard[/mention]聽check out my guide for the ST rear brake conversion [emoji106]. I'd say it's worth it as I noticed all 4 brakes make contact now.

Thanks man. Appreciate it. [emoji106].
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club