Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To: Focus MK3 SYNC 3 upgrade for Bluetooth Voice Control (BVC) cars from 2011, 2012 and 2013

JPW

1 hour ago, videodj said:

Has anyone who upgrade and updated to 3.4 managed to get directions on the IPC?  I've got the option in the menu, but don't get any directions.  I've got allbthe options added to the APIM, wondering if I need a mk3.5 IPC?

This option as other ones can be added in the Sync3 menu but can’t be activated in the mk3 because of BCM/software incompatibility or gateway module not present in this model.

The one thing I haven't been able to get to work since the upgrade is park assist.  It shows up when I press the button, but says user cancelled.  I tried a mk3.5 PAM, and it looks like it works, shows find a space, but doesn't do any thing.  Plus I lose sound on the sensors.  Anyone got any ideas what I'm missing.  I tried changing the pdc architecture, but lost sensor visual on screen.

Hi-can anyone help I have done the upgrade btvc to sync2  everything except emergency assist works. Also does anyone know how I can get that traffic info working?

Many thanks-Rob

So, I managed to get parallel park work with the original PAM, I had 7D0-04-02 XX** XX set to 09 (based on the number of sensors I have and from what I'd read I should of been able to get Park Out as well.), I changed to 05=Front/Rear PDC SAPP (EU HMI) and it worked.  I plan to add the 2 missing sensors and try and get full park assist working, probably going to be a lot of trial and error.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:09 PM, robbo67 said:

Hi-can anyone help I have done the upgrade btvc to sync2  everything except emergency assist works. Also does anyone know how I can get that traffic info working?

Many thanks-Rob

Providing you have the TCU, check 7D0-02-02 XXXX-*XXX*XXXX, you may need to change this to get it to see the TCU for emergency assist.  Not sure about traffic info, but I thought that came over RDS, so may be a setting in Sync 3 somewhere.

On 12/7/2023 at 1:52 PM, Ghano said:
On 12/7/2023 at 12:41 PM, videodj said:

Has anyone who upgrade and updated to 3.4 managed to get directions on the IPC?  I've got the option in the menu, but don't get any directions.  I've got allbthe options added to the APIM, wondering if I need a mk3.5 IPC?

This option as other ones can be added in the Sync3 menu but can’t be activated in the mk3 because of BCM/software incompatibility or gateway module not present in this model.

Would be good to know whether it's the BCM or IPC.  I plugged my APIM into my Kuga and directions worked as expected, annoyingly the Kuga cluster doesn't power up in the focus without some mods, so couldn't see if that was the issue or not.  Given they worked before the upgrade it's a bit annoying they no longer work

I swapped the IPC for a mk3.5 one, but lost the menu item for navigation instructions, not sure how to get it back, no option in the IPC settings in Forscan for it.  However, if I set the ICP to 05-Navigation I get directions on the ICP while scrolling through the trip computer, but only on the mk3.5 IPC.  So it does get the info, but would be good if it switch automatically and replaced the car, but at least I'm getting some where, might need to update the IPC first.

• 1 month later...

Last little bug that I’ve noticed, in regards to the clock/time 

if I have the ignition on the time is correct, as soon as the ignition is off the time changes and is wrong. 

also I have the Sony 9 Speakers and it sounds a little off / different to when I had bvc fitted, will I need to get a different focus acm or I’ve read that Kuga ones you can change as built 

IMG_5753.png

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this topic, if it was not for you I would not start with this project.. I bought apim, radio and display, and buying one by one piece of the puzzle. I am glad that I can see everybody helpful here, great community!

• 1 month later...

Amazing thread and guide - thanks to @JPW for the initial post and everyone that’s contributed along the way

Im in the process of acquiring the parts to do this upgrade, I’ve got a few queries I’m hoping somebody can answer

I have a 2012 Titanium X Focus with BVC, my current USB / Line in socket is in the glove box and not in the centre console - am I going to have to find a way to retrofit the USB hub into the arm rest or is there a way to install the correct hub as detailed in the main guide into my glove box? - If I skip the usb hub upgrade will I simply lose android auto / CarPlay functionality or will the codes / errors thrown effect the use of the main Sync 3 unit.

Regarding the lack of the lock / unlock button on the Sync 3 fascia - if I do not fit the momentary switch as suggested in the guide will the sync system still function and I will simply not have access to that button (I don’t really use it so not a big deal) or is the switch being present necessary to complete the Sync 3 conversion?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help guide me 👍

Hi JPW and thanks a lot for your explanation. I'm Francesco from Italy. I "had" a C-MAX 2011 with BT/VC. I retrofitted to Sync 3 using your guide 2 weeks ago. Everything works well, except the voice control and the phone calls. I can heard the female voice asking me for a command, but none can hear me. I tried different APIM configuration, but still the voice control isn't working. My APIM is KJ5T-14G370-RGB from a Kuga (date 09/25/19). I upgraded to sync 3.4 and master reset the APIM many times. Could it be a too recent APIM problem? or ACM problem? Should I move the microphone wires to another location?

Second question: is there any way to restore the original light blu of the Instrument cluster display?

Thank You very much

Francesco

On 3/13/2023 at 5:20 PM, Rowan112 said:

give us a pm, i do supply and fit and i'm in yorkshire too.
I create the conversion harness myself too 

Don't suppose theres any chance you're still involved in this? I've pmed you 🙏

On 4/1/2024 at 10:35 PM, jrcc said:

Amazing thread and guide - thanks to @JPW for the initial post and everyone that’s contributed along the way

Im in the process of acquiring the parts to do this upgrade, I’ve got a few queries I’m hoping somebody can answer

I have a 2012 Titanium X Focus with BVC, my current USB / Line in socket is in the glove box and not in the centre console - am I going to have to find a way to retrofit the USB hub into the arm rest or is there a way to install the correct hub as detailed in the main guide into my glove box? - If I skip the usb hub upgrade will I simply lose android auto / CarPlay functionality or will the codes / errors thrown effect the use of the main Sync 3 unit.

Regarding the lack of the lock / unlock button on the Sync 3 fascia - if I do not fit the momentary switch as suggested in the guide will the sync system still function and I will simply not have access to that button (I don’t really use it so not a big deal) or is the switch being present necessary to complete the Sync 3 conversion?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help guide me 👍

The newer usb hub is the best option as you can then update the sync3 using cyanmods to the latest firmware/maps, and android  auto works a dream. Not cheap, with the fitting plate but a must imo. Get a genuine GPS antenna too, they are much better than the cheaper ones.

I sold a full BVC to sync3 kit with all the above including a plug and play lead off Rowan not long ago, would have done you a treat.

You do not need the button to lock the doors, it’s optional as the button isn’t there on the sync3 facia

The fascia button is necessary if you want to activate auto locking and re locking by spreed,to let a passenger get in after driving the car you need to push the button or open the driver door otherwise the passengers doors can’t be open from the outside,very important when you pick up the children from school for exemple.

On 4/8/2024 at 7:54 PM, yamar1 said:

The newer usb hub is the best option as you can then update the sync3 using cyanmods to the latest firmware/maps, and android  auto works a dream. Not cheap, with the fitting plate but a must imo. Get a genuine GPS antenna too, they are much better than the cheaper ones.

I sold a full BVC to sync3 kit with all the above including a plug and play lead off Rowan not long ago, would have done you a treat.

You do not need the button to lock the doors, it’s optional as the button isn’t there on the sync3 facia

On 4/8/2024 at 9:19 PM, Ghano said:

The fascia button is necessary if you want to activate auto locking and re locking by spreed,to let a passenger get in after driving the car you need to push the button or open the driver door otherwise the passengers doors can’t be open from the outside,very important when you pick up the children from school for exemple.

Thanks for these responses, I’m now going to give the whole upgrade a go myself using the guide, the last parts I’m waiting for is the 54 pin APIM connector and the USB Bezel, I’ve got an aftermarket USB port for sync 3, I’ll install it during the upgrade and it it doesn’t work I’ll have to bite the financial bullet for a genuine one.

I didn’t think of sourcing a genuine GPS, it is one of the main things I want to do this upgrade for so I’ll hunt one down if needed if the generic fakra one isn’t the best.

I don’t use the auto lock / unlock related to speed and very rarely use the button so I’m gonna leave the locking button for now - might give putting one in a shot later down the line if needed

I’m planning to use a OBD splitter and then a pigtail connector to get into the MS and HS-CAN signals in a non destructive way, it was the main part of the guide I wasn’t too keen on!

I found out when taking all of the old parts out as practice for the big day that somebody’s been in there before! There’s some masking tape and labels on some of the wires that look non factory to me, but the entire stock BVC system looks wired normally and works perfect so I think maybe a repair or a standard double din stereo might have been put in previously and then returned to stock before I brought the car.

Will post back in here how it goes after I complete the swap, should be mid week next week hopefully 🤞 

You can use the antenna if your car has originally navigation,non genuine GPS antenna will cause some DTC’s and navigation latency issue personally i use Wase or Plans with Apple CarPlay.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club