Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car battery MK8

tef89

4 minutes ago, williamweb said:

i'm thinking of going full fat st3👍

Now that would make me forget my little issues 😄 if only I could live with those bucket seats though.

...and I had a driveway hidden like the entrance to the bat-cave to protect it from Hull's ne're-do-wells 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, williamweb said:

i'm thinking of going full fat st3 👍I think i'm right in saying the MK8 has a slightly smaller footprint than my Focus MK1 which suits me because i'll have slightly more space when travelling down my driveway👍

There's not a lot in it, Richard. The Fiesta ST or ST-L are 4065mm long and 1941mm wide (over mirrors). I think the Focus was 4152 and 1998. But that couple of inches can make a crucial difference in tight spaces (no sniggering at the back, there!).

I was fancying the full fat ST until I tried the seat. Waiting to see what the Puma ST is like now. (Oddly, despite being a bit bigger overall than the Fiesta, that crucial over mirrors dimension is only 1930, according to the brochure). 

• Like 1

We had a Focus Mk1 and when I look at pics of it on our drive it's pretty much the same as a Mk8 Fiesta.  So many cars go like that, they just get bigger.  

The Mk4 Focus is not far off the size of the Mk1 Mondeo.

• Like 1

Want a new Focus in my heart unfortunately it's too big for the drive 😤                                               

7 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

We had a Focus Mk1 and when I look at pics of it on our drive it's pretty much the same as a Mk8 Fiesta.  So many cars go like that, they just get bigger.  

The Mk4 Focus is not far off the size of the Mk1 Mondeo.

The MK4 Focus isn't really any bigger than the Mk3.5 at least. The Mk8 Fiesta is the same platform as the MK7.

The big jump for the Focus was Mk1 to Mk2.

So, just momentarily straying back to the thread topic 😄 - Is removing the airbox to be able to get the battery out on the MK8 a straight-forward job, does anyone know ?

Can't see anything on the Youtubes that's for the MK8.

There was a thread started on the question which you've probably seen,  but no one seemed to know the answer, unfortunately. Not seen anything else on it I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tef89 said:

You're a King amongst men Roger, thanks m8.  Makes it a lot easier choosing a replacement nearer to our Ah number.

Yeah I agree about Ford, always keeping us guessing.  Wierd ours are different to Elio's in Italy... Must be to do with Brexit 😮

Omg that’s so strange ahah. I’ve the same battery of yours, I checked on the specification - Ford 2033186. But..I tried to install a 278x175x175 battery and it’s too short. Something is wrong 😂 maybe the same battery had different dimension between uk and rest of Europe? I bought the new Ford 2033186 on a Italian retailer, so I really don’t know. 

By the way I changed it and it’s not very difficult, I removed the cover of the air box and moved a little bit the airbox itself...I didn’t remove it fully, and I replaced battery without any problem. 

The only thing where I argued was the battery poles, it’s a little bit hard to insert them fully in the new battery, at least, on the same Ford 2033186.

Oh, and also the clip on the cover of the airbox about the cable of the airbox....woah, that’s amazing, a little bit hard to remove the clip and so hard to reinsert it fully. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scorpion993 said:

Omg that’s so strange ahah. I’ve the same battery of yours, I checked on the specification - Ford 2033186. But..I tried to install a 278x175x175 battery and it’s too short. Something is wrong 😂 maybe the same battery had different dimension between uk and rest of Europe? I bought the new Ford 2033186 on a Italian retailer, so I really don’t know. 

By the way I changed it and it’s not very difficult, I removed the cover of the air box and moved a little bit the airbox itself...I didn’t remove it fully, and I replaced battery without any problem. 

The only thing where I argued was the battery poles, it’s a little bit hard to insert them fully in the new battery, at least, on the same Ford 2033186.

Oh, and also the clip on the cover of the airbox about the cable of the airbox....woah, that’s amazing, a little bit hard to remove the clip and so hard to reinsert it fully. 

Thanks Elio 🙂

If I need to order one I'll take the other out 1st just to check but I'm pretty sure I measured from the bottom of the tray.  Maybe it reates to left hand drive being different lol.

I appreciate the extra info about the airbox too.

1 minute ago, tef89 said:

Thanks Elio 🙂

If I need to order one I'll take the other out 1st just to make sure but I'm pretty sure I measured from the bottom of the tray.  Maybe it reates to left hand drive being different lol.

I appreciate the extra info about the airbox too.

Yeah, I suggest you to measure the battery removing it from the bay or almost removing it, it’s kinda annoying but it’s the only method to buy the right one I guess. I’ll do always that in the future.

• Like 1

So I had a little look at how the airbox obstructs the battery for future reference.

Whilst in there I notice the airbox itself moves / rattles quite a bit with the engine running, is this normal ? (I don't spend a lot of time under the bonnet lol)

1 hour ago, tef89 said:

Whilst in there I notice the airbox itself moves / rattles quite a bit with the engine running, is this normal ? 

Yes, I think so. Given how smooth and quiet mine seems when you're inside the car, I was quite surprised by how everything leaps about with the engine running (as well as sounding like an old tractor!😀).

Just been giving the Mrs's car a check over today - got me thinking batteries and wondering if you really need to swap yours at this point, given that the test figures you quoted after the AA had done their stuff seem ok? 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I think so. Given how smooth and quiet mine seems when you're inside the car, I was quite surprised by how everything leaps about with the engine running (as well as sounding like an old tractor!😀).

Just been giving the Mrs's car a check over today - got me thinking batteries and wondering if you really need to swap yours at this point, given that the test figures you quoted after the AA had done their stuff seem ok? 

Thanks for the reassurance, I thought it probably was normal.

I'm holding off until it's been in for the warranty stuff (including a battery check) before I make the jump for a new battery, well unless the universe steps in before then eh.  If they swap it under warranty that's great, but if not I'll just watch it and it if fails again I'll buy a new one.  There's always a spare vehicle available so I can cope if there is an issue on the way to a job.

Checked it today whilst running this morning and there was over 15v going into it.  I'll keep an eye on the voltage in the the battery at rest as well. I think 12.5v'ish at rest signifies it's not fully charged but it's starting OK so far.  I reckon resetting the BMS will kick the S/S back into normal working mode but I'd prefer that to stay off at the minute.

• Like 1

Yeah, the airbox sounds like a tractor ahaha, it's the sleeve, the tube, i don't know how to describe it, in front of the airbox - at least, in my case. I used two cable tie around it and now it's pretty quite...I attach you a pic when I did that thing. Ford mechanic used to do the same things, but yeah. I did it myself. 

By the way, 12.5 with car off, if start and stop works, it can be ok. I have my battery charged at 100% (I charged it manually) and after a trip, normal voltages are between 12.4 and 12.6, even if the battery is fully charged.

camphoto_758783491.jpeg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Scorpion993 said:

By the way, 12.5 with car off, if start and stop works, it can be ok. I have my battery charged at 100% (I charged it manually) and after a trip, normal voltages are between 12.4 and 12.6, even if the battery is fully charged.

Yes, as I mentioned somewhere in this thread (I think!) that's what mine was showing when I tested it the other day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpion993 said:

Yeah, the airbox sounds like a tractor ahaha, it's the sleeve, the tube, i don't know how to describe it, in front of the airbox - at least, in my case. I used two cable tie around it and now it's pretty quite...I attach you a pic when I did that thing. Ford mechanic used to do the same things, but yeah. I did it myself. 

camphoto_758783491.jpeg

Might give that a try as when I held the airbox the noise was really reduced.  That's why I thought I'd check with you guys there wasn't something amiss.

It sits on an open peg/hole type thing with a rubber surround near the battery that allows the vibration, you would have thought they would just made it secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!! Today I was recharging my battery, and I've a question. Now that I've got the CTEK C5, I usually recharge my battery every month even if I use often the car. Uhm..do you think this can be good for the battery or  it's even worse?

On 3/13/2020 at 10:29 PM, Scorpion993 said:

Hi guys!! Today I was recharging my battery, and I've a question. Now that I've got the CTEK C5, I usually recharge my battery every month even if I use often the car. Uhm..do you think this can be good for the battery or  it's even worse?

I can't say for sure Elio but every other car I've had over the last 27 years has been fine as long as I used them regularly and 'normally' (as in not just short runs).

It's not really something I would have thought about, even with my usage pattern now, had this problem not occured with my Fiesta.

So for me, if I used my car for regular good runs, no I wouldn't 'top-up' charge mine.

On 3/13/2020 at 10:29 PM, Scorpion993 said:

Recharging a healthy battery every month is good 👍

• Like 1

Thank you guys! Maybe I'll check the battery with the tester, if it's a little bit discharged I'll charge it manually..but if it's nearly 90-100% nope ahah. I'm curious to know how will last ong by (also) manually charging it, because the first battery lasted 18 months...or better, start and stop lasted 18 months, theoretically battery is pretty good and i'm still using it for other purposes. 

Well the old (well 2.5 years old to be precise) girl made it to its appointment at the dealership.  Discussed the S/S and battery and they're gonna fully charge the battery and check things from there. He did confirm it would never fully charge from long runs etc, so that tallies with the knowledgable posters on here :-). I have no doubt that'll probably 'fix' the S/S problem.  If all they do is charge it I'll just run it until it fails again and pick up a new battery, if need be.

It's got a nice long warranty issues list of items so they'll have it for a couple of days.  Will report back in regard to the battery and what they do.

By the way, I contacted CTEK and they told me that you can manually charge the battery when you want ahah, so I'll do that very month!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just picked up the car.

As suspected they've fully charged the battery and now the S/S works as normal.  They reckon the battery etc was fine.

They did a BCU and APIM update to 'fix' the bluetooth dropping issue.  Now I get a low battery warning for the keyfob everytime I start the car ... To be fair that's a decent swap 🤣

• Like 3

Managed to do a full charge cycle on mine overnight when it was dry(ish) last week. battery was showing over 12.5v afterwards without engine running, but next time I got in the car I still got the "System off to save battery etc" screen, though, as always, the car started first touch of the button! Weird.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Managed to do a full charge cycle on mine overnight when it was dry(ish) last week. Battery was showing over 12.5v afterwards without engine running, but next time I got in the car I still got the "System off to save battery etc" screen, though, as always, the car started first touch of the button! Weird.

I think there's a few different variables in deciding whether you get that message it seems.  Who knows the mysteries of the Ford APIM 😁

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club