Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK 8 FIESTA 1.0 ECOBOOST 125 BHP

JW125

Hi, i am thinking of buying a 2019 Ford Fiesta 1.0 ECOBOOST with 125BHP, I know when the engine was first released it didn't go great but can't find much info about 2018/19 model year issues so i wonder if anyone on here has experienced any issues during their current or previous ownership of a Fiesta with this engine?

Hi James,

No engine problems at all with my 140ps version over last 2 years😀

• Like 1

Same here with the 67 plate 125 bhp I had for around 20 months.  Engine itself was fine. 

• Like 1

Just had 2nd service 18 plate 125 - no problems.

From Carbuyer:

Are there any known EcoBoost problems?

The EcoBoost tech has now been fitted to millions of engines, and is really pretty mainstream technology, which means it’s well run-in – there’s certainly no reason to fear undue breakdown or reliability issues.

A couple of high profile recalls for EcoBoost cars issued in 2018 may sound alarm bells, but the truth is the faults were not specifically related to the EcoBoost tech. A Focus 1.0-litre EcoBoost recall referred to a nylon pipe potentially overheating in the cooling system, while a potentially more serious fault in the cylinder head of 1.6-litre EcoBoost engines again isn’t directly related to EcoBoost tech.

One potential issue facing buyers looking at EcoBoost cars for sale is that fuel economy figures in the real world can be some way off those quoted. The turbochargers deliver punchy performance, but if you’re tempted to use that performance often it’s understandable that the EcoBoost fuel economy advantages start to disappear.

• Like 3

Hi James, Had my 140 1 liter ecoboost for 8 months now and no problems, I previously had the 100bhp ecoboost for over a year and had no problems with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

One potential issue facing buyers looking at EcoBoost cars for sale is that fuel economy figures in the real world can be some way off those quoted. The turbochargers deliver punchy performance, but if you’re tempted to use that performance often it’s understandable that the EcoBoost fuel economy advantages start to disappear.

Yes, the hype when these were launched gave the impression that you could have 1.6 litre performance with 1.0 litre economy, but failed to add: "though not at the same time"!😀 The over optimistic official test figures didn't help (though that applies to most cars), though the new WLTP figures are a bit more realistic.

To put it in personal perspective though, in the past I had several cars giving 115-130 bhp from engines of 1.8 - 2.0 litres and maybe 35-38 mpg overall. The Fiesta 140 gives similar or better performance and 10mpg more, despite being a heavier and much better equipped car.

• Like 2

Has anyone installed foot well lighting? I have asked the garage to do this for me but say they can't find were it plugs into? I am aware it can be done using genuine ford ambient lights

Great car and no troubles so far.  😀

Mine is 2018 model and about 12 000km driven.

hempukka.jpg

hempukks.jpg

• Like 1

Has a 2016 ST-Line 140 for 3 years (about 30,000 miles)  and now on a 2019 ST-Line 140 with about 10,000 miles on clock. Both been perfect, no problems at all

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blatto said:

Has a 2016 ST-Line 140 for 3 years (about 30,000 miles)  and now on a 2019 ST-Line 140 with about 10,000 miles on clock. Both been perfect, no problems at all

Great to hear that! I wonder is there any kind of lighting in the interior of your 2019 St line? In places such as door handles or the area under the climate control? i'm not sure but i think your car might be an st-line X which adds ambient lighting  

2 hours ago, JW125 said:

Great to hear that! I wonder is there any kind of lighting in the interior of your 2019 St line? In places such as door handles or the area under the climate control? i'm not sure but i think your car might be an st-line X which adds ambient lighting 

Not the sort of thing that I would notice, I just get in and drive. I'll have a look next time I go out in the dark. It's got some coloured light around the cup holders I think, but I'm not sure why you need that, or around the door handles? I have the ST-Line X.

• Like 1

Red ambient lighting makes you feel like you're driving a brothel... :unsure: 

Admittedly, It is quite nice though, gives a nice ambience to the interior, it's usually a luxury (Titanium) option but I think the STLX model may get it as well. 

Cupholder lights are pretty sensible, don't want to miss the holder when you put your coffee down in the dark! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Red ambient lighting makes you feel like you're driving a brothel... :unsure: 

Are you speaking from experience there?😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

When you unlock the fiesta at night to the exterior lights come on? 

Years gone by the ecoboost engines had the nickname "ecoboom" but they do seem to have come a long way & have won some rewards in later years.

On 6/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, JW125 said:

Mine do.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 6:24 PM, JW125 said:

Yes the exterior lights come on and the door mirror puddle lights come on also.

You seem a bit obsessed with lights, you sure you'd not be better off buying a Christmas tree 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Blatto said:

Yes the exterior lights come on and the door mirror puddle lights come on also.

You seem a bit obsessed with lights, you sure you'd not be better off buying a Christmas tree 🤣

Its not that i'm obsessed it is just that I am trading a 2017 Vauxhall Corsa which had and did all these different light features, the fiesta is new to me so that why i want to ask these things.

• Like 1

No wonder the batteries are dying if all the lights come on before you start the engine! :tongue: 

I must admit, I do miss the drama of unlocking the Mk3 Focus in the dark...the mirrors folded out while the LED rears, puddle lights, plate LED and front side lights illuminated...  The Golf just unlocks and blinds anyone in front with the full beams for absolutely no reason, like some sort of reversed 'guide me home' light... :unsure: :laugh: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

No wonder the batteries are dying if all the lights come on before you start the engine! :tongue: 

Yes, I do wonder about that as well, Tom. I don't seem to have had such serious issues as some members, possibly because I've been using a smart battery charger occasionally during lockdown, possibly because I turn off as much "stuff" as I can when using the car.

It's great to have all these features available if you want to use them, but most annoying if you can't disable them if you don't. I particularly dislike the way the main lighting switch defaults to "auto" every time you unlock the car. I think this came in on your favourite car (😀) the Mk 3 Focus?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I do wonder about that as well, Tom. I don't seem to have had such serious issues as some members, possibly because I've been using a smart battery charger occasionally during lockdown, possibly because I turn off as much "stuff" as I can when using the car.

It's great to have all these features available if you want to use them, but most annoying if you can't disable them if you don't. I particularly dislike the way the main lighting switch defaults to "auto" every time you unlock the car. I think this came in on your favourite car (😀) the Mk 3 Focus?

Hmm, I don't remember having any car that defaulted to auto lights so far!  I wonder if that's meant to stop people driving on DRL's in the dark?  DRL's weren't standard in the Mk3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, I don't remember having any car that defaulted to auto lights so far!  I wonder if that's meant to stop people driving on DRL's in the dark?  DRL's weren't standard in the Mk3.

Think I've got that wrong, Tom. I've just been sorting out my pile of old magazines on the orders of SWMBO and amazingly one (from March 2011, so I guess the Mrs had a point!😀) contained a road test of the Mk 3 Focus. The light switch on that does look very similar to the Mk 8 Fiesta, so that's obviously what I was thinking of, but doesn't look as if it does the automatic default thing.

Yeah, as you suggest the default is probably to stop folks driving without lights. Unfortunately it doesn't always seem to do the job - mine come on in daylight when parked in shade, in a multi storey car park, etc and I've had them go off mid journey when I would choose to have them on (in fog or heavy rain, for instance) so you have to keep an eye on it and turn them on manually if necessary anyway.

• Like 1

If you buy an 2019 Ecoboost fiesta it has quite a new version of the engine. That means it should be quite ok and safe to buy. Most of the teething problems have been dealt with. 

• Like 1

friend of mine with 2019 fiesta ecoboost 100ps ( mileage about 14k miles ), experienced white smoke from tail pipe at extended idle , the dealer teared the engine down and found a broken piston !! , they told him its due to bad fuel quality , however my friend only uses 95 octane from a respectable brand, ford will replace the engine under warranty ( I don't know why if they say its a fuel issue and not a manufacturing defect , seems confusing !! ).

myself also about a month ago experienced white smoke also from tail pipe at extended idle, the dealer contacted me yesterday that ford informed them to tear the engine down also for inspection, will deliver the vehicle to them tomorrow and will keep you updated.

I love that technological marvel very much and I'm really attached to this ecoboost, I hate to see any failures in it.

@Eng_Ahmad1986 we are waiting for your news! It is unacceptable situation for this engine with 8 years in production, having problems like this! Broken piston! Does you friend car or yours has the system with cylinder disactivate and gpf filter? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club