Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost timing belt replacement

olei
聽Share

7 hours ago, dontpannic said:

All pre MY19 1.0 Ecoboost engines are "wet belt"

Except the Focus Mk4 (2018) which was launched with the revised 1.0 Ecoboost engine. Only the 2.0 Ecoblue Focus Mk4 continues to use the wet belt (ask me how I know 馃檮).

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:54 AM, MJNewton said:

聽I suppose in theory there might well be differences between manufacturers but I haven't seen any commentary on that point and given the long interval time between installation and eventual failure we might never know.

I agree. I currently have a BGAutomotive belt fitted but there is no real way of knowing how it's performing without significant work.

Previously used a Dayco belt (supposedly the same as that supplied to Ford). Wasn't happy with it's condition when exposed early due to other issues.

Are other brands more durable?

15 minutes ago, Bol said:

Are other brands more durable?

Durex are known to make durable rubber products 馃ぃ

• Haha 5

For example Continental belt, is it more durable? Or other brands?

Carbon cleaning or fuel line cleaners could affect the timing belt (degrade it)?

yes - they need a specific oil that is kept in tip top condition to reduce belt deterioration ANYTHING that moves away from 10 mile drive every time, start stop turned off permanently, and Ford Spec oil changed comfortably inside service schedules will impacted things negatively.

any fuel additive or cleaner is a lottery - I was reading, even a can of cleaner said change the oil after using it (and that was for any car, not sensitive ones)

this comment below is not 'suffering from' - its 'performing exactly as designed', increasing profit for the manufacturer as implemented by the engineering team and the accountants

As many of you are aware, Citroen/Peugeot suffer from wet timing belt problems.

do as your are told and hand over your cash - its across all aspects of society as created by the evil scum....聽

So fuel line cleaners could impact and even 100 octane petrol.

22 hours ago, Botus said:

this comment below is not 'suffering from' - its 'performing exactly as designed', increasing profit for the manufacturer as implemented by the engineering team and the accountants

Considering that Peugeot recalled vehicles for this exact issue and offered longer warranties - in effect fronting the cost themselves for belt replacement suggests that this comment is incorrect.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dontpannic said:

Considering that Peugeot recalled vehicles for this exact issue and offered longer warranties - in effect fronting the cost themselves for belt replacement suggests that this comment is incorrect.

and that shows you don't understand the scale manufacturers work too

yes sure they pushed 'this win' a little too far - and 40% of the savings got lost on warranty repairs and unraveling the mess... but they are still a few hundred million up by introducing rubbish...

that got the management team a bonus payment they were after - and any damaged reputation is in today's world utterly irrelevant - slaves on forums in the know trying to help others in the pigswill at the bottom don't matter... the bent marketing team will copy someone else's strategy that'll get more idiots from middle management buying joke rubbish these corporations peddle

why do you think BM Merc VAG are the biggest sellers and growing market share hand over fist - its not the quality or longevity of the products - if the people that have these car's had the ability to understand what they are contributing to, like

wasting world resources
climate damage
enslavement of the majority
societal downfall
zero future for their genetics

they would still likely do it !!! for the short term monetary gains they are already receiving - because that's why they are the managers - they were cherry picked because they are stupid lemmings that are corrupt and incompetent - which is exactly what the ones at the top need - to get away with what they are doing (which is that same list - except: they have been told they have been put at the top of the list of your genetics will get looked after....)

youngsters and fools should review the three programs on the miners strike Ch4 just did - think bigger picture of why its got the programme title it has...

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/miners-strike-1984-the-battle-for-britain

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Botus said:

yes sure they pushed 'this win' a little too far - and 40% of the savings got lost on warranty repairs and unraveling the mess... but they are still a few hundred million up by introducing rubbish...

that got the management team a bonus payment they were after - and any damaged reputation is in today's world utterly irrelevant - slaves on forums in the know trying to help others in the pigswill at the bottom don't matter... the bent marketing team will copy someone else's strategy that'll get more idiots from middle management buying joke rubbish these corporations peddle

That is exactly how Ford have always operated

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

It does on ecoboost too, I believe

I'm not familar with the Puretech issues (I've read quite enough about the ecoboost without delving too far into that one!). I wonder if it's a case of belt debris affecting the vacuum pump first, before it can clog up the oil pump and destroy the engine through lack of oil pressure.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I wonder if it's a case of belt debris affecting the vacuum pump first, before it can clog up the oil pump and destroy the engine through lack of oil pressure.

I suspect it is not so much a case of it necessarily occurring聽first聽but rather the fact it might happen at all. More specifically, brake failure is considered an unequivocal safety issue (hence the recall being a safety recall) whereas DVSA have stated on a number of occasions (in the context of coolant and wet belt related Ecoboost issues) that engine failure in and of itself is聽not聽considered a safety issue.

405201162_10231673994410059_7343015159458271924_n.thumb.jpg.a0201cbe3f25711ebe3b0adfbd528861.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJNewton said:

I suspect it is not so much a case of it necessarily occurring聽first聽but rather the fact it might happen at all.

And yet we know it does occur in the ecoboost and is mentioned as one of the reasons for the major recall in the US (though that is, so far, for engines with balancer shaft).

https://www.thedrive.com/news/fords-self-clogging-1-0-liter-ecoboost-engine-is-finally-getting-recalled

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be all that much consistency really. Perhaps the ramifications of a potential safety recall affecting millions of cars is just too big to ignore hence why there is seemingly so much reluctance by anyone to go down that route. To be fair it isn't a decision to be made lightly!

• Like 1

australia had a very healthy get the corporations for peddling rubbish - but that'll soon be history since the french sub episode got them back on the dark side

remember back to the powershift car crash of a gearbox - they all had a new clutch and gearbox...聽

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/products/transport/cars

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm not familar with the Puretech issues (I've read quite enough about the ecoboost without delving too far into that one!).聽

Hmmm. Just for fun I put "Peugeot Puretech engine problems" into my usual search engine - 365,000 results!

• Haha 1

100 octane petrol could impact the timing belt?

49 minutes ago, Bol said:

100 octane petrol could impact the timing belt?

I doubt it

• Like 2

But fuel line cleaners like wurth could impact it correct?

100 octane has some additives though.

I doubt both, unless you're massively over fuelling and suffering from bore wash

• Like 3

Thank you.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club