Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 Ecoboost timing belt replacement

olei

On a similar note. My 104k 2017 C-Max 1.0 Ecoboost was booked in for a service at 102K miles but had done over 2000 miles before the service date. During this time the engine indicated  error codes and the engine service light coming on indicating Camshaft position solenoid problems where I had the solenoid changed.  I spoke with my main dealership TC Harrison Huntingdon March dealership and was recommended to continue getting the car serviced as it was slightly overdue.

The day before yesterday the oil pressure light flickered on a mile from home so it was parked up. As it was already booked in for a service (100K miles) at the March dealership I could not get a technical appraisal of the problem booked in so found the Peterborough dealership (Same group) could do it so changed to the Peterborough dealership following these revelations and service availability for today 4th August

On the way the oil light came on solid so coasted along and pulled into a layby 1/2 mile later and got a recovered by truck to the dealership for a  technical appraisal. I was called later to be told that the wet timing belt is coming apart due to it being left "dry" as a result of going over the recommended service intervals. It went nearly 5k over at the first main service due to my being told by Ford that the service was 15K miles and then finding out it is only 12.5 K miles.and then having to wait for available servicing date(s). Every service thereafter was as close to the service due miles +- miles clocked awaiting the soonest date. Upshot is a rough quote of £5000 for a new engine as irrepairable damage will have been caused by the lack of oil due to running it without oil 90k miles earlier. Most journeys are 20 miles minimum 2 or three times each week plus regular longer journeys 100 miles+

Is this typical for this engine type?. Is the service mileage interval that critical.

As yet the sump will not be dropped until I agree to the engine change as they do not want to waste time evaluating a lost cause.

I must say I am rather aghast at this news,

Sorry for the long post but I am worried if I'm being ripped off or thinking too much for the worst.

Cheers

Adrian

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, Adrianh said:

Is this typical for this engine type?. Is the service mileage interval that critical.

Yes and Yes.

You can get brand new genuine Ford 1.0 Ecoboost engines supplied from other garages complete with warranty for a lot less than what a Ford dealer charges.

Example: https://pumaspeed.co.uk/product-Brand-New-Ford-Service-10-EcoBoost-Engine_18898.jsp

Pumaspeed.JPG

• Like 4

It is now generally recommended that the wet belt be changed at 100,000 miles max, and (at Ford dealer prices especially) the cost of that, particularly if other parts are replaced as a precaution (oil pump etc) can approach that of a new engine.

Bit puzzled by the reference to the belt being left "dry" due to service being delayed. Are they saying the oil level was too low? Was it not checked between services?

• Like 2

I was simply told that the belt had got dry at some point after missing  a service by a couple of thousand miles (In the 1st year). There has been minimal oil usage through the life of this engine. Regular checks of fluid levels before any long journey, and the longest the car has been stationary was around 1 week when I was in hospital. It seems the engineer would rather swap out the engine directly rather than find out the cause.

35 minutes ago, Adrianh said:

It seems the engineer would rather swap out the engine directly rather than find out the cause.

The engineer has probably got a lot of experience of just how unlikely it would be be to successfully repair your engine at a cost that would be less than a replacement. Remember you will be expecting any repair to carry a warranty for at least 6 months, and, if and when it does fail you would find it difficult to accept that the next part that has failed is not covered by the warranty. As I said above you can get a brand new engine supplied and fitted for £3139 complete with a full warranty which is going to be the safest option for everyone.

• Like 2

Hi Eric. The reference to the belt being "Dry" is due to the service interval being exceeded. In absence of any info from the dealer at the time of purchase I called the Ford Customer service Centre soon after I purchased the car from new and was told it is 15000 Miles so thought nothing more and took out the car in for service around the 15K miles. It was after it had a service at 75K I took out a service plan with my dealership and found the interval was only 12.5k miles. It had gone in to the same dealership for all servicings and at no time did anyone tell me my perceived service interval was wrong. Now that is against any claim as the leeway is only 1000 miles after the service period recommended due to the Synthetic oil breaking down if this 13500 miles is exceeded. It sounds a bit BS to me but that is what I have been told.

• Sad 1

Well the saga goes on. I received a call from Ford customer services that they will not contribute to the required engine change. The bill is coming close to 7k now as they feel I will need a new oil pump, water pump and new turbo as these will have been damaged by the blocked oil strainer. The fact I was told the service interval is 15k miles and my dealership said nothing is immaterial as I should have brought it in every 12.5k, and due to covid I missed an annual service too as the dealership were only servicing critical needs.......Well shafted. If I get a third party engine fitted their 3 month warranty will be all I have, but if Ford replace the engine I will get a full 12 month warranty. How good of them.

I think this will be the 9th and last Ford I will ever own.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, unofix said:

The engineer has probably got a lot of experience of just how unlikely it would be be to successfully repair your engine at a cost that would be less than a replacement. Remember you will be expecting any repair to carry a warranty for at least 6 months, and, if and when it does fail you would find it difficult to accept that the next part that has failed is not covered by the warranty. As I said above you can get a brand new engine supplied and fitted for £3139 complete with a full warranty which is going to be the safest option for everyone.

I found the engineer dropped the sump and found blocking of the oil strainer therefore a new engine is needed. The 3rd party engine has 3 months warranty, and Ford give a 12 month warranty on the replacement (New) engine.

• Sad 1

There are alternatives.  You can have a new engine fitted by PumaSpeed as Unofix suggested above.  Or I've also seen Approved Engines pop up a few times now. 1.0 EcoBoost engine | Purchase new or reconditioned – Approved Engines

I wouldn't give Ford the labour cost tbh.

• Like 1

The timing belt was replaced when the two pistons were broken (because of the remap) almost three years ago.

It should be replaced either at ten years or on 200000 km?

17 minutes ago, Bol said:

The timing belt was replaced when the two pistons were broken (because of the remap) almost three years ago.

In the UK the belt interval is 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) for a 2017 model.  But the interval might be different in other locations.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 1:21 PM, TomsFocus said:

There are alternatives.  You can have a new engine fitted by PumaSpeed as Unofix suggested above.  Or I've also seen Approved Engines pop up a few times now. 1.0 EcoBoost engine | Purchase new or reconditioned – Approved Engines

I wouldn't give Ford the labour cost tbh.

I wouldn't pay Ford's labour rates to change a ***** light bulb, let along a key engine component! (Unless @iantt was doing the job obviously) 

• Haha 2

On 8/21/2023 at 4:27 PM, TomsFocus said:

In the UK the belt interval is 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) for a 2017 model.  But the interval might be different in other locations.

Also in guess manufacturer suggests that for all ecoboost models (fiesta, puma etcetera)?

1 hour ago, Bol said:

Also in guess manufacturer suggests that for all ecoboost models (fiesta, puma etcetera)?

All 1.0 EcoBoost in 2017 yes.  Different capacity EcoBoost engines and different years can have slightly different intervals.  

Mk8 Fiesta & Mk4 Focus 1.0 EcoBoost are 144,000 miles.

Mk3 Focus 1.5 EcoBoost is 125,000 miles.

If you have a specific model, year and engine size in mind, I can always double check those. :smile: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, Bol said:

Wow a remap did it.

I was considering a Bluefin map for my 2019 focus stline x 1.0 ecoboost. However, I will stick with stock of its so risky!?

14 minutes ago, Jawz said:

I was considering a Bluefin map

Is that like a Google map, only for dolphins ? 🤣

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Jawz said:

Wow a remap did it.

I was considering a Bluefin map for my 2019 focus stline x 1.0 ecoboost. However, I will stick with stock of its so risky!?

It didnt happen with bluefin.

I dont know about it.

11 hours ago, unofix said:
11 hours ago, Jawz said:

I was considering a Bluefin map

Is that like a Google map, only for dolphins ? 🤣

No, it's one for Tuna :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update: the car is back and with a new engine, Turbo, Water Pump and cat heat shield. Total cost £6250. I found the third party new engines only had a 3 month warranty whereas the Ford gives a 12 month warranty on the engine and work carried out. The dealership did take pity on me and gave me the Turbo and heat shield FOC plus did the MOT which was due.

Just waiting for the oil pressure light to flicker as/ when. I got absolutely nowhere with Ford as I had gone too long between servicings even though the dealership said nothing, and lost my service history. It did go over 12 months too due to the Covid shutting down service except for critical workers so well and truly shafted.

Kia or VW will be my next choice of vehicle and three Ford owners local to me have followed this debacle and decided to go with another manufacturer when they next change cars later this year/ 2024. I wonder if Ford will change their strategies/ Understanding towards customer care as the Ecoboost issues are having far wider effects than just to the owners. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adrianh said:

Latest update: the car is back and with a new engine, Turbo, Water Pump and cat heat shield. Total cost £6250. I found the third party new engines only had a 3 month warranty whereas the Ford gives a 12 month warranty on the engine and work carried out. The dealership did take pity on me and gave me the Turbo and heat shield FOC plus did the MOT which was due.

Just waiting for the oil pressure light to flicker as/ when. I got absolutely nowhere with Ford as I had gone too long between servicings even though the dealership said nothing, and lost my service history. It did go over 12 months too due to the Covid shutting down service except for critical workers so well and truly shafted.

Kia or VW will be my next choice of vehicle and three Ford owners local to me have followed this debacle and decided to go with another manufacturer when they next change cars later this year/ 2024. I wonder if Ford will change their strategies/ Understanding towards customer care as the Ecoboost issues are having far wider effects than just to the owners. 

I'm sorry for your cost.

I also agree, after 25+ new Fords I will never have a Ford again.

With hindsight, I'd have pulled the vehicle and fitted a known, running, 2nd hand engine and sold it

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 12:05 PM, Adrianh said:

Kia or VW will be my next choice of vehicle

I too am looking to change from Ford within 12 months (end of lease) when I start looking it reminds me of why I picked the focus in the first place. They tick more boxes than most. If you’re wanting to post about your search there’s a thread I started called ‘checking out the competitors’. IMO the Best advise for buyers is from the type of people on forums like this rather than YouTube reviewers trying to sell cars rather than honest reviews. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Has anyone got any info on if there is an easy way to adjust the crank position? I’ve just done the wet belt on my son’s 2016 1.0 ecoboost and it all seemed as if it went well. Apart from the engine is running with a slight judder on idle. After putting it on diagnostics it’s saying crankshaft/camshaft correlation. I’ve re checked cams are in correct position and it’s looking like the crank is out by one tooth. My question is there a way in which I can re position crank without removing the timing cover and tensioner? Any advice would be much appreciated Steve

• Like 1

The short answer is no.

There maybe a longer answer available to say the same.

• Like 1

Steve, you have done a diagnostic but have you physically re-checked using the timing kit?

It's difficult to understand why it would end up a tooth out if the crank setting pin and camshaft clamps were used.

Is it possible that the crank is correct in relation to the camshafts but the pulley (and hence timing) has moved during tightening of the new crank bolt?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club