Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

15 minutes ago, iantt said:

Any way, back to the original theme for a moment. We going to have a few nights away down in rye near Hastings in April and I thought, if I had an electric car would I be able to charge it up at destination . Err, nope. Would have enough  charge to get there just about. So would have to stop and fully charge on the way to get there and drive about the area. Then search out another charging station at some point the next day to keep us mobile . Return journey would need an early charge about third of way back home. Get home and fully charge for week ahead to work.

Rarely have I seen such a concise description of why battery cars are entirely unsuitable for mass transportation, and are absolutely doomed to failure. With respect, you failed to take into account that if the temperature drops to below freezing, this will also f*ck up your range calculations to your existing optimistic levels 🤣 (Whereas your dirty diesel could care less what the UK weather throws at it!)

• Haha 1

Electric would be fine for everyday use for me though. To work and back 5 days a week and a bit of local at weekend then charge up overnight once a week . It's the odd longer journeys esp if traveling to a rural location 150 miles away that normally wouldn't require a rest stop wether diesel/petrol  engine or elec. Ok if you are rich with the extended range vehicles available. But the more affordable( putting  that loosely) vehicles are realistically still 150miles or less  in real world conditions. 

Perhaps we might see us all having elec cars and a pool of efficient petrol cars or long range elec cars  to hire out on the occasions that longer journeys are required. Limit the days per year they can be hired for so no one takes the *****. 

• Like 1

Even checked locally in the town where I live. If you want a fast charge while your shopping. There's 1 out of 2 working near Tesco's. Morrisons 0 out of 2 working( not worked for 5  months) lidl 2 working, Aldi 1 out of 2 working. So half not working. 

That's the sum total of chargers in and around the town. 

Just for reference population of town 25000. 4 chargers working. 

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'd have no idea how to separate it all out to get a better deal

You don't have to - you ring them up and threaten to leave them. They transfer you to 'disconnections' or something like that and then they give you a discount. I know people who do this year after year. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alanfp said:

you ring them up and threaten to leave them. They transfer you to 'disconnections' or something like that and then they give you a discount. I know people who do this year after year. 

Yes, I know a couple of people that do it every other year and get a reduction of about 40%

• Like 1

You might not even have to ring them.  When I had Sky broadband, I'd go to the online account towards the end of each years contract, start the 'leaving' process (can't remember exactly which heading it was under) and they offered a reduced price each year without fail.  Only left in the end as I wanted fibre which they couldn't offer to my address at the time.  Never had Sky TV though so may not be the same protocols.

Out today, saw this, I'm a bit depressed now (yes, that is £1.65/liter)

462624378_expensivepetrol.thumb.jpg.31176caeea6c43a836b08e3d00fdc84d.jpg

On 3/6/2022 at 3:32 PM, StephenFord said:

Out today, saw this, I'm a bit depressed now (yes, that is £1.65/liter)

462624378_expensivepetrol.thumb.jpg.31176caeea6c43a836b08e3d00fdc84d.jpg

That's cheap now. The garages round here put there prices up another 5p a litre . My local Esso now 168.9 diesel. Didn't take much notice of unleaded but probably 159.9. Tesco put there's up 5p as well today. 159.9 both flavours. 

1 minute ago, iantt said:

That's cheap now. The garages round here put there prices up another 5p a litre . My local Esso now 168.9 diesel. Didn't take much notice of unleaded but probably 159.9. Tesco put there's up 5p as well today. 159.9 both flavours. 

Heard on the radio today (they were doing a phone in on fuel prices) there was a garage south of Liverpool selling for £2.12/liter for unleaded! Plenty of excess of the £2 mark. I'm beginning to hate that short bald Russian bloke!

14 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm beginning to hate that short bald Russian bloke!

Only now??

• Haha 2

Up to 169.9 per litre of diesel as of this morning locally.

• Sad 1

There have always been rip-off garages, and yes fuel prices are rising, but I found more than a dozen in Liverpool at less than £1.50 Lt, the £2.12 one is clearly an anomaly, in fact the dearest I could find anywhere near Liverpool was the Burtonwood service station on the M62 at £1.74

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 15.24.23.jpeg

• Like 1

Ouch! Getting expensive near me now. That's 8.64 a gallon 

My partner showed me a photo of the garage pricing board was posted up on face book so its deffinatly being sold at that price. 

IMG-20220308-WA0003.jpeg

After this evenings further sanctions placed on Russia regarding oil and gas then let's have our fingers crossed that Bojo implements some form of price cap of both petrol and diesel in the near future.

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

After this evenings further sanctions placed on Russia regarding oil and gas then let's have our fingers crossed that Bojo implements some form of price cap of both petrol and diesel in the near future.

I think once it gets to around £2 the gov may step in and reduce the vat . But even that won't put much of a dent in the price compared to a few weeks ago. 

That's why I'm trying to keep the mpg around this 

IMG_20220308_164643704.jpg

38 minutes ago, iantt said:

I think once it gets to around £2 the gov may step in and reduce the vat . But even that won't put much of a dent in the price compared to a few weeks ago. 

That's why I'm trying to keep the mpg around this 

IMG_20220308_164643704.jpg

I wish, since I filled up 6 days ago its currently done 15.6 miles and returned 38.6mpg 😆

50 minutes ago, iantt said:

I think once it gets to around £2 the gov may step in and reduce the vat

Sadly, that'll be peanuts at only 5% - he needs to drop the green tree hugger tax at 25%...

47 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Sadly, that'll be peanuts at only 5% - he needs to drop the green tree hugger tax at 25%...

5%? Vat on petrol is 20%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

5%? Vat on petrol is 20%

Apologies buddy, you are entirely correct. Got mixed up on my 'energies', with electricity being 5%...

• Like 1

I wonder how many people who went for bigger engines in the same trim are regretting that decision now. Probably not a big issue for Ford drivers, I was think more along the BMW 340i or the 320i type of choice.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, TomsFocus said:

Also on the subject of car programs...  Car SOS are doing a Mk3 Cortina on Tuesday night.  Despite being a 70s Ford, even it can't be as rusty as the ice cream van they did last week! :laugh: 

I just watched that Car SOS Cortina episode. My dad use to own a brown one, though nowhere near as lovely as that tangerine orange one! It always amazes me when the family see the car torn down to bare metal they always looked shocked. What the heck do they think the car is undergoing, a bit of T/Cutting? LOL Anyway, sadly for me, I'm not terminal, or ill enough to qualify for a Car SOS 'surprise', despite many hints dropped to family 🤣 (though the current recipient looked quite healthy, so there may be hope!)

• Like 1

My local supermarket was £1.50 unleaded yesterday. BP was £1.55. I’m not far away from Grangemouth refinery ,not sure if that has any bearing. I listened to an ‘expert’ on the Scottish news yesterday says all nations that produce oil are capable of increasing the amount they produce , might take a while to affect prices. Fingers crossed for that ! Time to start fracking , causing earthquakes or not. 

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

It always amazes me when the family see the car torn down to bare metal they always looked shocked. What the heck do they think the car is undergoing, a bit of T/Cutting? 

I have wondered how much of that is scripted tbh.  They must have all seen the show in order to make an application! :unsure: 

I understand the shock & confusion of the actual owner at the end reveal.  But we're now on the 9th series (I think!) so the applicants must know what to expect when they get called into the workshop! :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

I don't think this petition has aged very well. I think everyone with electric cars are laughing very hard at all of us right now...

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club