Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

I’ve got a clicking noise every time I press and depress the foot brake while engines on and in park. Caught it on video perfectly, can’t figure out how to post it..

Edited by Alex.S
Trying to delete this! If admin can do so ? Pleas do

3 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Maybe worth re-posting on the main, 'Focus' forum so that others may help diagnose the issue... (But well done on posting on YouTube!)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Maybe worth re-posting on the main, 'Focus' forum so that others may help diagnose the issue... (But well done on posting on YouTube!)

Where’s the delete button? I’m fighting with the internet here! 

1 minute ago, Alex.S said:

Where’s the delete button? I’m fighting with the internet here! 

LOL, you can't 'delete' a post. I'd just leave it, besides, it would make all my response seem more stupid than normal without yours to give context 😂

• Haha 1

I note that the Public Charge Point Regulations 2023 state:

"Contactless: New public charge points of 8kW and above and existing charge points of 50 kW and above must offer contactless to consumers.
Proprietary networks that open their charge points for public use will have one year from the date that the charge point becomes public to offer contactless."

I seem to recall various Government Ministers pledging that this would happen for several years now, wonder if we will finally see some action?

One snag is that there seem to be a lot of chargers around below 8kw. The statistics here on numbers/capacity are interesting:

https://www.zap-map.com/ev-stats/how-many-charging-points

• Like 2

On 2/11/2024 at 12:33 PM, Alex.S said:

I’ve got a clicking noise every time I press and depress the foot brake while engines on and in park. Caught it on video perfectly, can’t figure out how to post it..

That sounds like the MLP shift interlock switch, Alex. Do you experience any resistance in being able or select reverse or forward with the Selector knob?

If not, it’s working as designed, except for its noise. It’s a brake pedal actuated switch that prevents reverse from being engaged unless the driver has his foot firmly on the brake pedal. The need for this became apparent when the electric MLP switch came into use. Solenoid shifted transmissions took people on some wild rides through their garage doors and across parking lot’s until this device was added. You have a particularly loud one. I have not replaced the switch for a rotary type Gear selector but the switch probably should look like this one below.

86DFE66E-AC66-4928-BD6C-CF6A98504F0D.thumb.jpeg.b3e424f12a3a0b27c82ad7cdcf194025.jpeg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scottman said:

That sounds like the MLP shift interlock switch, Alex. Do you experience any resistance in being able or select reverse or forward with the Selector knob?

I’ve not noticed any resistance at all. The clicking noise must be a new thing , I’d have noticed it sooner otherwise. Is it a sign of an issue? The cars lease is up in 6 months. 

46 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve not noticed any resistance at all. The clicking noise must be a new thing , I’d have noticed it sooner otherwise. Is it a sign of an issue? The cars lease is up in 6 months. 

I would have the service department inspect it and get a replacement part ordered. When it stops working you will be stranded.

• Thanks 1

The EV acceptance rate is beginning to become a topic in the media. The media has become aware that an increase of sixty percent in market share within the timeframe the government is expecting is unprecedented in scale and probably not realistic. I suspect that some automakers are near the breaking point. GM has ceased efforts to build an electric Silverado pickup truck. I have heard that they didn’t get past the “hand built” stage of pre production examples built by engineers inside the vehicle development center. If I were a product planner I would be deeply concerned about sinking any money into an EV project. Hybrid drivetrains? Sure! They have a solid amount of market acceptance, the service side of ownership is well understood and the used market acceptance is very good for resale value. None of those facts are likely to sway the government in it’s mindless quest to “go green” no matter the cost.4CB36AD3-0210-4A6A-A61E-7C183E84B9FE.thumb.jpeg.814353fe2b9ae2846698baf9b84fa080.jpeg3E172551-31FB-405A-ABA9-3CD5DBD8B897.thumb.jpeg.7fd63c6f5bbb6455c311d81db9119b20.jpeg

• Like 2

This is the guy that claimed US had plenty “good clean coal “ The planet needs to address the emissions situation, Donnie couldn’t spell emissions. Entertainment value though 10/10 , leader of the free world 🤔 no. 

• Like 1

We all definitely have a huge supply of coal. I have experienced a few nights in a home heated with coal. It’s wonderful heat that lasts all night. Given the choice of wood heat or coal, I will take coal!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scottman said:

We all definitely have a huge supply of coal. I have experienced a few nights in a home heated with coal. It’s wonderful heat that lasts all night. Given the choice of wood heat or coal, I will take coal!

I grew up in a house with no central heating, but a single coal fire. If you stoked it up at 10pm, you'd come in the morning to a hot hearth full of lovely red embers...

• Like 2

I should really post this in "Have a Laugh" it's a lot more funny than the jokes posted there.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, unofix said:

I should really post this in "Have a Laugh" it's a lot more funny than the jokes posted there.

Proof, if any was needed, that it's not only the UK government that is what we quaintly use to call, 'thick...' LOL

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Proof, if any was needed, that it's not only the UK government that is what we quaintly use to call, 'thick...' LOL

It’s not a case of willful ignorance, it’s part of the plan. Western governments around the world are trying to bankrupt their citizens and hobble their business enterprises and drive their agricultural products production into oblivion. It’s happening everywhere in the developed world. So, our leaders are not thick. They hate our guts and intend to get rid of a large percentage of people.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 11:06 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Contactless: New public charge points of 8kW and above and existing charge points of 50 kW and above must offer contactless to consumers.

Wow - 50kW electrical power transfer without a physical connection to the car? That's impressive!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Scottman said:

... it’s part of the plan. Western governments around the world are trying to bankrupt their citizens ...

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. That strategy is simply ridiculous. Without a healthy pool of income tax, governments simply have no money. The money they spend is 100% ours! (Unless they borrow it).

Trying to bankrupt us on purpose is absolutely nonsensical. It would also involve a very complex conspiracy theory and NO Western government has that much control to carry out such a widespread cover up. I'm afraid that it is all down to a lack of intelligence on the people we now vote in to power.

In our own parliament you only have to look at scenes of utter disruption in proceedings last week when the behaviour plummeted into a disgraceful farce over semantics, on a potential decision that would make absolutely no difference whatsoever to world events, whilst their own citizens struggle to pay for food & fuel.  Thick!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I'm afraid that it is all down to a lack of intelligence on the people we now vote in to power.

Indeed, the snag is when you see what some MP's have been subjected to, including death threats and actual murder, it's little wonder that so few intelligent people put themselves forward.

On a much less serious scale, I was an (unpaid) trade union representative for many years, not because I'm particularly militant, but to keep out some of the nutters!

• Like 2

Apple has announced that they are shutting down their EV development program. They stated that they were going to reassign a large percentage of the people working on EV development into other areas of the company and that layoffs would be minimal. Stock prices went up slightly.

It looks like the fever has broken at Apple in regards to the idea that there is some huge untapped demand for this sort of vehicle.

• Like 3

Just reading that, in UK, in December EV sales fell 34% year on year, while diesel sales rose 12%.

It seems that the "early adopters" have long since adopted, and everyone else remains fairly unconvinced, leading several manufacturers to scale back their EV plans. I've seen Jaguar/Land Rover, Ford and Renault mentioned in that context, while Tesla have done some serious price cutting.

We don't generally have a lot of sympathy for car manufacturers, but at the moment, with ZEV mandates starting to bite on the one hand, and buyers who are lukewarm about EVs on the other, they're stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just reading that, in UK, in December EV sales fell 34% year on year, while diesel sales rose 12%.

I recently watched a 2 part documentary on Concorde (Ch4). Now, I've watched loads of documentaries on Concorde, and feel sad on every one. We use to have the capacity to fly across the Atlantic in 3 1/2 hours. Of course I could never have afforded a ticket, but simply knowing that it could be done was strangely comforting.

Our 'Concorde' moment has now long passed, thanks largely to 9-11, ironically the exact same date that Concorde made it's inaugural flight after being re-designed. (An amazing refit after it's horrendous crash in 2000 ensured it was supremely airworthy again).

I get the same feeling about proper cars.

Our Concorde moment is quickly declining, thanks to government intervention, ruining the world wide car economy, and depriving folk of a vehicle that can be 100% refueled in 5 minutes, in favour of poor, expensive technology that doesn't live up to it's promise. Only when Ford or GM go bust, will folk realise what we have actually lost. (Toyota should be OK as they have a genius in charge of it)

It's all just a sad state of affairs...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

buyers who are lukewarm about EVs

Can you have a lukewarm EV ?

I thought they were more like a Raging Inferno once they get going 🤣

EV heat.JPG

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Can you have a lukewarm EV ?

I thought they were more like a Raging Inferno once they get going 🤣

Hey, that's not good for global warming, is it?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club