Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

23 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

You also gotta love Rowan for another fact. He holds the UK record for the highest monetary insurance claim of £910,000 when he crashed his McLaren F1 in 2011 - legend!

I’m sure that’s what he’s was going for when he put his foot down.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Really interesting article by Rowan Atkinson on electric vehicles.

Yes, it was more or less repeated in today's Sunday Times also. His point about just keeping existing cars going longer is very valid. I must say here that (in addition to your 8,000 likes award) I'll award you another for your services in preserving Mk 2 Focuses!😃

Also in the ST today on  a similar theme was a piece by Dominic Lawson in which he lays into the Drax biomass burning racket which I keep banging on about. It looks as if Ofgem may be finally on the case but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

Various sections of the media are still catching up with Rowans article today.

Plus there are mentions of some operators public EV charging rates having almost doubled in the last 12 months.

The story about some multi-stories needing strengthening to cope with the extra weight of EVs continues to circulate, while the Asphalt Industry Alliance is predicting even more potholes for the same reason.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The story about some multi-stories needing strengthening to cope with the extra weight of EVs continues to circulate...

Apparently, new proper car engines are so clean, that the emissions caused by 'tires' is far more significant. It's a shame that government has totally stuck their collective head in the sand over the emissions that cars actually cause. I suppose EVs being so much heavier, that in years to come, the government will ban them as the particulates shooting of the strained tires kill even more dolphins than petrol fumes ever did...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jun/03/car-tyres-produce-more-particle-pollution-than-exhausts-tests-show

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Our EU friends appear to have thought about that, with the EU7 regulations targeting tyre and brake emissions:

https://www.electrive.com/2022/11/11/euro-7-introduces-microplastic-brake-wear-regulation-for-bevs/

Interesting that they have extended the 'durability' testing for cars from 5 years to 10 years. I wonder how they'd feel on my 18 year old car! LOL If I drove it for another 18 years, it would still have a lower carbon footprint than buying one new car!

• Like 2

Hopefully that will alter the course of everything being an SUV if they have to think about the impact of bigger brakes and tyres and stopping the hefty things.

• Like 2

Don’t know if you guys spotted this in the Independent…

The 1,000km range from a single charge gives the battery a potential lifetime range of 4 million kilometres, far exceeding the average lifespan of a car.

• Confused 1

Struggling to post a link. 

Says VW will be using these Chinese made batteries from 2024. 

4 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Don’t know if you guys spotted this in the Independent…

The 1,000km range from a single charge gives the battery a potential lifetime range of 4 million kilometres, far exceeding the average lifespan of a car.

This was reported 3 years ago...

https://thedriven.io/2020/08/14/three-unmodified-kona-electrics-drive-more-than-1000km-on-single-charge/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I’ve been researching kona a bit. 2023 kona in summer do at best around 370 miles on a single charge. 
Not sure why I can’t post a link to the Independent. F9D71866-35A5-4904-886A-4CA6F7CB6FAD.thumb.png.ad16b3edd94ad25564c66c0543a8e37f.png

0B7AF59E-EC18-4CFF-92F2-9F2F7EB23160.png

43 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Not sure why I can’t post a link to the Independent...

Maybe due to the forum's BS filter 🤣

Range anxiety is just one issue with EVs

Increasingly, with modern petrol cars, the emissions are now that low that the actual particulate emissions of the tires/brakes have overtaken what comes out the tail pipe.

Also, you just can't escape that the mass production of 600Kg Lithium Ion batteries is simply not 'green'.

There is no way an infrastructure of chargers will support such a crossover, and this is increasingly talked about in the way that the 2030 deadline is likely to be extended.

The increased weight of EVs at approaching 2 tones will deteriorate our roads infrastructure, as well as bridges & car parks.

The whole ethos is just ill thought out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

The increased weight of EVs at approaching 2 tones

Lol, you get a long way down the list linked below before you get one that light:

https://www.myevreview.com/electric-cars-weight-comparison-chart#:~:text=Electric Cars Weight Comparison Chart ,kg (9259 lb) 37 more rows

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

you get a long way down the list linked below before you get one that light:

But down near the bottom of that list at just over the 1 tonne mark is the Dacia Spring, reputedly coming to the UK in 2024 or so:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/first-official-pictures/dacia/spring/

Looks half decent for anyone requiring an urban roundabout without having to sell their organs to afford to buy/lease it.

12 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

But down near the bottom of that list at just over the 1 tonne mark is the Dacia Spring,..

James May has reportedly bought the first batch 😂

• Haha 2

On 6/5/2023 at 4:58 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Plus there are mentions of some operators public EV charging rates having almost doubled in the last 12 months.

As generating capacity drops the cost will increase. Any increase in capacity for generating electricity will be accompanied by a higher cost per kw.

that is the plan. The idea of low cost electrical power is a fallacy that was used to sell the idea of a clean energy system.

I live almost exactly in between two competing entities in the electrical generation game. Just a few miles west of my town is the Consumers energy public utility run generating station. It is a natural gas, two cycle cogeneration steam turbine that can supply the region with 540 Megawatts. Whenever it is needed.

540 Mw is enough capacity to power a population of around 450,000 people.

the older brick building’s in the foreground of the first image are not part of the generating center. But, I had the best view of the steam condensation area in this shot.

I resisted the urge to lay down on the abandoned mattresses that were dumped into the driveway in the final shot of the facility! This plant was a great project to place in this very gritty former industrial area.

0F82ABB6-1662-472A-8400-DD5AFCC6C2BD.thumb.jpeg.173b7d75831174f0f08543d0e316dd3b.jpegA1C7D47B-C277-4FA8-84D0-4E36E918D9DD.thumb.jpeg.469ff7c80323668191ce991349ece306.jpegEDA3B798-409B-48CD-973B-2B6D353FB972.thumb.jpeg.c9d6a871d1ffed1c2ff3aede7ea721c9.jpeg3817AE3D-E3DD-4802-A581-A98CDA1714A9.thumb.jpeg.1b73ba2a8f90d9714029e3e361560082.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scottman said:

As generating capacity drops the cost will increase. Any increase in capacity for generating electricity will be accompanied by a higher cost per kw.

I remember seeing footage in the 60s, that because nuclear power will be so cheap, that it'll be provided free as it would cost more in admin to charge for it. Now, the thing about predictions, is that they are very unreliable - especially about the future!!

• Like 3

Just a few miles east of my house is the new approximate 1000 acre PV solar collection farm run by NextEra energy. It claims to have a maximum output of  up to 80 Megawatts. 
The ability to make the maximum output is limited to the availability of profuse sunshine. In the middle area of Michigan we have around 2,400 hours of predominantly sunny conditions per year. 
a solar collection facility of this size and type would be somewhat less productive if located in southern England, say Weymouth,which claims around 1,904 hours of profuse sunshine per year. And it would be much less productive if located in the northern part of England, perhaps Sheffield. Some areas are just not really suitable for these huge, land gobbling monsters. Just comparing the required scale to match a NatGas generation facility to one sixth of capacity is just insane! And yet here it is.

So, when you hear someone say that solar is going to be a big contribution to vehicle charging, keep this comparison in mind.F04E9AE7-4836-4C29-8BD5-568235F7414E.thumb.jpeg.94852f550f7fa500fcb5bcabe924fe8c.jpegD7374B36-7B0B-4E9A-8466-2DAD0CDCFF33.thumb.jpeg.1504c74a3007ffab344e9cdcb0e4955c.jpegE14E9068-2ED7-4514-86F6-07960F71806B.thumb.jpeg.af8082befda0efcffaf205091a75505b.jpegB0C76B10-95E0-4052-B539-63E427F44E48.thumb.jpeg.7e41bd44acc5d16137cd63be8fbba4e9.jpeg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I remember seeing footage in the 60s, that because nuclear power will be so cheap, that it'll be provided free as it would cost more in admin to charge for it.

But to achieve that, you actually need to build some serious nuclear capacity. Iirc, UK capacity peaked around 1995. Of the stations built, 11 have closed, 8 are still operational but all were due to close 2024 - 2035 (some may get a  life extension). 2 are under construction due 2025/6, 2 more proposed 2030 onwards (if built). Of course, modern stations will have much greater capacity than those early ones, but even so, that free leccy looks doubtful.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I remember seeing footage in the 60s, that because nuclear power will be so cheap, that it'll be provided free as it would cost more in admin to charge for it. Now, the thing about predictions, is that they are very unreliable - especially about the future!!

The ruling elites have sold a lot of very lofty views with the tag line that it will be practically free. So far, it has always been the exact opposite.

• Like 2

Some in Europe have got head start on using older cars for longer. Here in Crete there a huge amount of 1980-1990's car chugging around. Even some of the petrol stations are in the 1970's with attended service.a ramp on the side of the road to get your oil or tyres changed. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Some in Europe have got head start on using older cars for longer. Here in Crete there a huge amount of 1980-1990's car chugging around. Even some of the petrol stations are in the 1970's with attended service.a ramp on the side of the road to get your oil or tyres changed. 

That is great to hear, that is proper, 'green', using what you already have, rather than throwing in bin and creating new! One of my favourite scenes in Back to The Future, is seeing the cars driving into the garage, the bell going, and a fleet of staff coming out to full petrol up, clean the windscreen, and checking the oil - the past wasn't all bad!

• Like 1

Petrol is about 20p a litre  more expensive than diesel . But both are higher than UK. That's the derelict station I went to though up a mountainous road.  Probably the same petrol from 30 years ago.lol 

People should be held to account.

5 years ago, (June 2018) St Greta tweeted climate change would, "wipe out all of humanity unless we stop using fossil fuels by 2023..."

That's the trouble with children, they have no concept of time (are we there yet, are we there yet...)

The terrifying thing is, that many supposedly grown ups believed her.

• Like 2

On 5/21/2023 at 9:54 AM, StephenFord said:

China's inexorable march to world domination continues with world's largest car exporter label...

Yes, but, you should also see this ...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club