Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

5 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

Oh I like your stackable bins, that's a great idea.

And on a nice wheelie trolley, dead handy to bring to the kerb LOL

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

***** hell your council looks to be well behind the trend, I currently have 3 bins, paper, metal and plastic, and general waste. I don't have the garden waste one due that being £30 a year and I just take my grass cutting to the tip myself, they keep mooting about a small food waste bin, but it gets pushed back every time (won't effect me I'm to tight to throw food away )

Now I'm all for recycling, but will total agree that having multiple bins is a real pain especially if you live in a terrace of flat.

Our residual waste is (almost) all incinerated for power so they don't have food waste bins here.  They also pick any metal out of the ash after incineration for recycling too.  I guess that's why they're not so fussed about maximum recycling ability, knowing that any contaminated recycling will still be avoiding landfill.  We do also have the option of the green waste bin for about the same price as yours, but no need for me in an upstairs flat.  I agree that any more than 2 bins for most people will be awkward.

8 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

2 years ago I barely recycled anything, however, my local council then provided me with a proper tool to easily recycle. Now, nothing leaves my house if it is able to be recycled, I'm become quite obsessive LOL

1512353115_recyclingbin.thumb.jpg.ade4507f674bb6b3bf855a67bf63b298.jpg

I really like those! :laugh:  Are they flaps on the lower boxes so they don't have to be lifted each time?  That's a neat piece of design.  

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I really like those! :laugh:  Are they flaps on the lower boxes so they don't have to be lifted each time?  That's a neat piece of design.  

Sure are buddy! They are a really good robust design. Must confess to being embarrassingly excited when they were first delivered LOL

1832241811_binflap.thumb.jpg.be2aed8a3335d70e05815e02061abd6e.jpg

• Like 2

That a lot of soft drink cans, where's the booze 🤣

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Sure are buddy! They are a really good robust design. Must confess to being embarrassingly excited when they were first delivered LOL

1832241811_binflap.thumb.jpg.be2aed8a3335d70e05815e02061abd6e.jpg

AND you can recycle textiles and batteries at kerbside too!  That's it, I'm moving to NI! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

That a lot of soft drink cans, where's the booze 🤣

I'm teetotal buddy, you have to look in bottom glass bin for her wine bottles lol

• Like 1

We don't have stackable bins either. Just a black one for general waste a purple one for card, bottles and tins and a green one for garden waste.

Slightly off topic but did anyone see those programmes last year about the waste that was tipped into landfill back in the 60's .... well they went back a re dug it up and it was still as good as when it was buried.

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

Slightly off topic but did anyone see those programmes last year about the waste that was tipped into landfill back in the 60's .... well they went back a re dug it up and it was still as good as when it was buried.

Yes, then amazon sell it to gullible customers, they send it back, and amazon put it straight back to landfill again, the ultimate circle of life LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Wino said:

We don't have stackable bins either. Just a black one for general waste a purple one for card, bottles and tins and a green one for garden waste.

I saw one about an 80s landfill about 5 years ago...  Even newspaper hadn't rotted because they cap them with clay creating an airtight environment. 😮

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I wonder how much water would be wasted rinsing them out so as not to contaminate the paper in the recycling bin...  :ermm:

That is not the greatest problem with some people being over zealous with their recycling.. Scottish Water have been running information adverts because the sewers were getting clogged up with the extra grease and other contaminates caused by people religiously rinsing their packaging and tins.   

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Tizer said:

... caused by people religiously rinsing their packaging and tins.   

I have never understood that regime. My friends 'rinse' all their dishes before putting them in their dishwasher - whats the ***** point of that?? You're half way there, use some hot water, a splash of Fairy, and just wash the darn things in the 1st place! Of course they recycle, because they 'think' they're green!

Our council provides black bin for general waste, green for anything recyclable , and pay for a brown bin for garden stuff. So I guess the recycling is sorted out at the tip.

I know for a fact that our council has been known to bury recyclable waste from the green bins in with the non recyclable. That came from a firefighter I used to work with. He went to a large refuge fire at our tip ( burnt for days) and asked at the time about the recyclable waste burning!!!!

Also had separate bins at a garage I worked at not far from the tip . Both types of waste were collected at the same time and in the same bin lorry each week. In the end we used both bins for anything as it made no difference. 

So don't kid your self the stuff you sort out always gets recycled. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

I have never understood that regime. My friends 'rinse' all their dishes before putting them in their dishwasher - whats the ***** point of that?? You're half way there, use some hot water, a splash of Fairy, and just wash the darn things in the 1st place! Of course they recycle, because they 'think' they're green!

I know. I also know people who employ cleaners a few days a week but keep their houses spotless because they do not want the cleaner to think they are dirty😀 

• Haha 2

As I said above, it's to stop the paper and card getting contaminated with multi-item bins.  

It can't be recycled once it's greasy...same goes for takeaway pizza boxes, they're generally not recyclable once they've had pizza in them! :rolleyes:

Can't comment on dishwashers though, none of my family are posh enough to own one! :laugh:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

Our council provides black bin for general waste, green for anything recyclable , and pay for a brown bin for garden stuff. So I guess the recycling is sorted out at the tip.

I know for a fact that our council has been known to bury recyclable waste from the green bins in with the non recyclable. That came from a firefighter I used to work with. He went to a large refuge fire at our tip ( burnt for days) and asked at the time about the recyclable waste burning!!!!

Also had separate bins at a garage I worked at not far from the tip . Both types of waste were collected at the same time and in the same bin lorry each week. In the end we used both bins for anything as it made no difference. 

That has been my experience as well.

2 minutes ago, iantt said:

This is the lorry that picks up my recycling, and I've watched, they are very particular on emptying the separate bins into the separate compartments. Also, our local council did a big feature in their magazine on the chain of custody, and where it all goes after pick up. I suppose they could be lying, but it would involve many keeping a big secret LOL

innovative-services-kerbsort-vehicle.thumb.JPG.15ced4a24654d59174ee74ef88f10c8b.JPG

• Like 1

We are the same in Rugby.  One bin for everything then allegedly it gets sorted at the waste disposal centre.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

. I suppose they could be lying, but it would involve many keeping a big secret LOL

Well if they can cover up faking a moon landing 😀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

innovative-services-kerbsort-vehicle.thumb.JPG.15ced4a24654d59174ee74ef88f10c8b.JPG

Well that's giving me a migraine... 

Sometimes less is more! :laugh:

• Haha 1

But getting vaguely back to the topic.....

Had a walk this morning through another "nice" area, being extra vigilant (well, ok, nosey) for electric cars. Same story as the other day - lots of houses with EV charging points and cars with green stripes on the number plate.

So get back home and settle down to read the papers and there in the business pages there's an article about how salary sacrifice schemes and minimal BIK make EV's much cheaper than petrol/diesel to lease, even where the list price is higher. Basically, if you are on one of these you'd have to be nuts not to get an EV.

This sort of thing:

https://www.leaseplan.com/en-gb/fleet-management/ev-salary-sacrifice/

Yes, my company is considering salary sacrifice for EVs.  That would make them really attractive.

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Can't comment on dishwashers though, none of my family are posh enough to own one! :laugh:

You haven't got a dishwasher 😲

I've got two

IMG_20210725_200507.thumb.jpg.67ee647496d903843ae4ce06cc6d512c.jpg

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, Guy Heaton said:

Yes, my company is considering salary sacrifice for EVs.  That would make them really attractive.

I was always looking to take advantage of any tax breaks, so no doubt I'd have been on to this one.

Can't help thinking though, that you need to be on a good level of salary to benefit from this sort of scheme, and it's just not available to the majority.

There's a danger of a two tier thing here, where EVs are the preserve of the better off while others have to soldier on with their dirty ICE cars. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

... while others have to soldier on with their dirty ICE cars.

Hey, I wash mine weekly! LOL

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2021 at 12:00 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, if I'm having water from Scotland I'd rather have uisge beatha!😀

If you have the money we have the whisky 😀

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club