Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

4 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

schools are still testing

aren't schools on holiday at the moment ? They don't start back until September in my part of the country, but I know Scotland is different.

• Like 1

Staff are testing.  Also for instance my daughter is a prefect and is coming in early for testing in September as she's involved in the year 7 inductions.

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

Personally, I don't think masks will return as mandatory.
I've had covid, I've also had both jabs since then so as far as I'm concerned, I'm done with it all.

Most people are waking up a bit now and realising it's one rule for one, and one rule for another. Just look at the ex-health secretary getting it on with his assistant.
Then you've the G7 summit where not a single person wore a mask or obeyed social distancing (this was almost at the peak of a wave too).
I stopped caring during the first lockdown when that moron drove half way across the country to visit a castle, "test his eye sight", and drop the kids off.

I found it quite funny how cases suddenly dropped off when social distancing and mask wearing was abandoned and night clubs could re-open.

I think I’m right in saying that the advice at the beginning of the pandemic; masks were not going to be necessary.Then there was a complete reversal and our government decided to copy the Chinese communists.

• Like 1

It's just wonderful the current government policy, testing literally millions of school kids daily with a test that is so invalid it's been banned in the USA, then sending upwards of a million of them home weekly to inhibit their education - we sure know how to live with this virus!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark-UK said:

as for the drop in cases, the relaxing of all the rules coincided with the end of school and a massive reduction in the number of tests. There were millions of test done at schools, now there is none being done.

I thought this at first. Then I looked up how many PCR tests were conducted at the peak, and how many were conducted when cases dropped and schools finished. I found that cases had dropped by roughly 40-50% (50,000 to 40,000 daily cases), but testing had only dropped by around 20-25% (450,000 tests to 350,000 daily). This doesn't include lateral flow tests, as a positive result doesn't add to the case numbers until you've had a positive PCR test.

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

It's just wonderful the current government policy, testing literally millions of school kids daily with a test that is so invalid it's been banned in the USA, then sending upwards of a million of them home weekly to inhibit their education - we sure know how to live with this virus!

Yes the Lateral Flow test are pointless, as you say they are so bad the USA (where ours are made) banned them. As I understand it the UK government spent millions buying them, so just gave/give them away to make it look like action is being taken.

3 hours ago, williamweb said:

I think I’m right in saying that the advice at the beginning of the pandemic; masks were not going to be necessary.Then there was a complete reversal and our government decided to copy the Chinese communists.

Not just our government, but the whole world started to use masks on the recommendation of World Health Organization

• Like 1

Not just our government, but the whole world started to use masks on the recommendation of World Health Organization

Now here's an interesting conspiracy theory. I don't believe everything (or even anything!) I read in the papers, but today's Sunday Times ran a !engthy, and quite plausible, piece on the WHO being, basically, in the pocket of the Chinese. And who produces most of those facemasks sold on amazon, eBay etc.........  ?😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/15/2021 at 10:11 PM, Mark-UK said:

Yes the Lateral Flow test are pointless, as you say they are so bad the USA (where ours are made) banned them. As I understand it the UK government spent millions buying them, so just gave/give them away to make it look like action is being taken.

My point is at the beginning WHO said masks were not needed.Our government followed this advice.Not sure what happened next but the decision was reversed with no scientific proof masks were effective.

Furthermore I don’t think the WHO or other so called “World Organisations,” have reputations to be proud of.

• Like 2

Conversely if it's case of WHO vs Fred off the internet I'm more inclined to give WHO the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 7:20 AM, Guy Heaton said:

Conversely if it's case of WHO vs Fred off the internet I'm more inclined to give WHO the benefit of the doubt.

I would never give the WHO the benefit of the doubt.I wouldn’t trust any World Organisation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Actually, with WHO, my faith is in Fred!

the WHO were ok in there day but i dont remember a fred in the band? 

but fred was right , or right said fred. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, iantt said:

the WHO were ok in there day but i dont remember a fred in the band? 

I think Fred was singing something narcissistic about being too sexy...  It was Bon Jovi telling us to keep the faith!

• Haha 2

On 8/14/2021 at 12:57 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I keep seeing the statement below from the ONS repeated in the media (it's in the Times today, for example). Don't know if it's just me, but I feel that this is open to misrepresentation, and could be interpreted as suggesting that 90% use a face covering whenever they leave the house. I could accept that 90% may use a face covering IN SOME SETTINGS and have just emailed the ONS to suggest that they add that qualification to future statements.

This week, over the period 4 to 8 August 2021, based on adults in Great Britain:

• The proportion of adults reporting to wear face coverings when outside their home (90%) fell slightly this week when compared with last week (92%), as did the percentage of adults who always or often maintain social distancing (49% this week, 53% last week).

Just had an email back from the ONS (they either work late on weekends or had put a delay on it!). Anyway, they agree the wording is capable of misinterpretation and will look at how they can word the information more clearly in future.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing over the last few days the Government are looking at a "toolbox" of measures in the event of a surge over winter.

They (hopefully) avoid full lockdown but include possible reintroduction of compulsory mask wearing, WFH (didn't know it had gone away), etc.

Now I'm not a fan of compulsion, but it does seem to me that if on the one hand it's ok to compel millions of people to do this or not do that, then we ought to be dealing a bit more vigorously with the issue of people who won't (as opposed to can't) get vaccinated. 

It's particularly concerning when they're handing over more billions of cash to the NHS to clear the backlog, that anywhere between 10 and 15% of NHS staff in some areas have not been vaccinated. I know of people who are genuinely afraid to seek attention because they fear catching Covid when they visit hospital.

On the face covering topic, I've mentioned previously that I've contacted my MP several times on the subject of better advice on effective types of covering for the vulnerable. He was told this would be forthcoming but it doesn't seem to have happened.

One thing I have spotted is that the official guidance on transparent visors now states that they are effectively useless against Covid, although you're unlikely to find the information unless you hunt for it. I was in Tesco the other day and at least 3 customers were wearing one.

This is another example of Johnson U-turn, *****-up, say any crap that comes in to his head .

One the one hand he's saying the Government are looking at a "toolbox" of measures

On the other he'ss says he's repealing all the laws that allow him to mandate lockdowns or other measures.

On the other he'ss says he's repealing all the laws that allow him to mandate lockdowns or other measures.

That's surprising, the last I heard the government were about to seek a further 6 month extension of their emergency Covid powers? Which the 'opposition' are likely to support!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

last I heard the government were about to seek a further 6 month extension of their emergency Covid powers? Which the 'opposition' are likely to support!

Correct.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-winter-lockdown-boris-johnson-b1913859.html

Just watching the "tomorrow's papers" bit on the news and The i  is leading with "Booster jabs or bust" as the winter plan, while the Telegraph has "Johnson to rip up Covid restrictions".

Seems to be some pretty convincing evidence of the effectiveness of vaccines, although for balance I should note that David Icke has stated that "it's all f***ing lies":

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/clinical-areas/respiratory/ons-just-1-of-patients-who-died-from-covid-this-year-were-fully-vaccinated/

Interesting to see that the boosters for the over 50s and vulnerable will be one shot of Pfizer or a half dose of Moderna irrespective of what you had first time. I was puzzled by that until I remembered that the Moderna is considered effective after one dose, so a half dose is equivalent to a a full dose of the others.

Also interesting that Moderna are working on a combined Covid/flu jab. Not sure if that will be available for this winter's programme, but it would obviously make things easier for the NHS (and one less jab for those who fear needles!😀)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

...but it would obviously make things easier for the NHS (and one less jab for those who fear needles!😀)

I have no fear of needles (being a diabetic with daily insulin injections), but a combined flu/booster would certainly be very handy for me.

• Like 1

What I find fascinating is that 80% of us have had both shots.  8/10.  That's a lot.

But my god how vocal are the other 2! 😁

I guess it's like car forums, you don't get many "I'm quite happy" posts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I guess it's like car forums, you don't get many "I'm quite happy" posts.

Yep, they sure are rare LOL

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club