Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta St-Line MK8 suspension knocking

drezito

1 hour ago, Blatto said:

I have a 2019 ST-Line 140 with just over 35,000 miles on the clock and I have no knocking sounds.

On a side note I was hoping the Michelin Pilot sport 4's were going to last a bit longer than they did, only got about 28,000 miles out of the front set.

Only done 14,000 so far, but nothing from mine either. Also a bit disappointed with the wear rate of the PS4s, I very much doubt if I'll get anywhere near 28k out of mine.

22 hours ago, drezito said:

Hello,

From what I know recently Ford has been saying the noise is normal because the right suspension arm is different (larger I think) from the left one.

While that may be the reason, it is not acceptable for Ford to put cars on sale like that and say it is normal without fixing the problem.

On my car the suspension arm was even replaced with no change in the noise. Probably has to be changed to non-Ford parts to fix it.

It is odd. I think the sound is too 'body like' to be something I have experienced on other cars (might be wrong tho)

5 hours ago, Blatto said:

I can't see how Ford can say it's down to the ST-Line having a bigger suspension component on the right that is causing a knocking sound.

If that were the case all ST-Lines would have a knocking sound. 

I have a 2019 ST-Line 140 with just over 35,000 miles on the clock and I have no knocking sounds.

On a side note I was hoping the Michelin Pilot sport 4's were going to last a bit longer than they did, only got about 28,000 miles out of the front set.

I got about 40,000 out of my previous two sets of Continental sport contacts.

I have now put a set on Conti's on the front and they seem a bit quieter with no noticeable difference to the handling.

This is the thing! It would be interesting to try and have a 'noise/no noise' poll for STL owners. It cannot be simply due to a standard part fitted correctly/the same on all vehicles, as you rightly point out. Short of stripping down a quiet and noisy car side by side....

I think it could be the driver’s side headlamp rubbing against the bodywork as it squeaks when pushed whereas the passenger side is quiet.

Going to remove it and go for a drive to see…

It's often a problem trying to locate the source of a noise in cars.

Many years ago I had a Toyota MR2 (MKII 2 litre) there was a rattling sound like tappets running dry with no oil. It  would only happen at 2500 rpm or below and not all the time.

The one place it was very obvious was in a local multi-storey car park when going round the up ramps, but not on the down. Then occasionally at junctions when you were just raising the revs to pull away (unless I went over 2500 rpm then it was fine).

Had it in the garage a number of times but as the law of S*d dictates they never heard it and couldn't see anything obviously amiss.

Finally found out what it was about a year later when I took it in for an MOT. I knew the guy at the test centre he was a really honest and helpful old guy.

While he had it running for the brake tests it started rattling. I said to him I'd had it in the garage to find out what it was with no luck.

After the test was over he spent about 20 mins looking around. He found it was a bracket on the engine (one used for lifting the engine out if required). It was slightly loose with just enough of a gap for it to rattle but also close enough for it to wedge itself back in at an angle and not move. It only happened below 2500 rpm as that was it's natural resonance frequency range. Once he tightened that up I never heard it again.

Tried to give him a tenner for his time but he wouldn't take it (it was the 1990's so I wasn't that much of a cheapskate 🙂 )

6 hours ago, Smartd00d said:

I think it could be the driver’s side headlamp rubbing against the bodywork as it squeaks when pushed whereas the passenger side is quiet.

Going to remove it and go for a drive to see…

Did you manage a test? How did it go?

6 hours ago, Blatto said:

It's often a problem trying to locate the source of a noise in cars.

Many years ago I had a Toyota MR2 (MKII 2 litre) there was a rattling sound like tappets running dry with no oil. It  would only happen at 2500 rpm or below and not all the time.

The one place it was very obvious was in a local multi-storey car park when going round the up ramps, but not on the down. Then occasionally at junctions when you were just raising the revs to pull away (unless I went over 2500 rpm then it was fine).

Had it in the garage a number of times but as the law of S*d dictates they never heard it and couldn't see anything obviously amiss.

Finally found out what it was about a year later when I took it in for an MOT. I knew the guy at the test centre he was a really honest and helpful old guy.

While he had it running for the brake tests it started rattling. I said to him I'd had it in the garage to find out what it was with no luck.

After the test was over he spent about 20 mins looking around. He found it was a bracket on the engine (one used for lifting the engine out if required). It was slightly loose with just enough of a gap for it to rattle but also close enough for it to wedge itself back in at an angle and not move. It only happened below 2500 rpm as that was it's natural resonance frequency range. Once he tightened that up I never heard it again.

Tried to give him a tenner for his time but he wouldn't take it (it was the 1990's so I wasn't that much of a cheapskate 🙂 )

Yup. I've been storing lots of dashcam clips over offending areas (where the noise manifests); it will be audible (not necessarily to the same extent) even at 30mph over the same areas. What the dashcam shows visually is that the noise is associated with a sharp movement of the car (the bonnet/bottom of frame in video) can be seen to drop suddenly. The same (or larger) degrees of movement which are more gradual do not elicit the sound. The noise can appear when only one wheel (invariably the left) traverses an appropriate dip in the road - the same movement on the front of the car results. Having driven over all manner of roads (and we know the shocking state they are these days) I can confidently say that it is the combination of a sudden movement and the range of travel which creates the noise. (e.g. a half inch movement does not give the noise, while a 1-inch does) - whatever that actual distance is! Cobbled roads, standard speed ramps even at 30 mph - no problem. The other issue is that I am not entirely sure the sound is not travelling too - It might appear to be from the right of the car just because that's where you are sitting.

I've also studied the video I linked to earlier, and the same noise (allbeit perhaps not as 'clear') is 100% present and again the car can be seen to be moving suddenly (this is easy knowing what to look for) - in fact the video has an external camera, and even at speed the noise can be heard a couple of times, along with the car moving.

As I've mentioned, I don't think it's a 'suspension component' - at least one which is loose. I've experienced a loose ball joint that could only be heard when turning right on a long corner with the anti-skid coating that was also ridged so that set the right conditions; I've had loose drop links (which based on where they rattle don't tend to resonate on the body as much as the noise we're talking about here). As has been mentioned in another post, I am tending to lean toward some item being not quite secure and 'freefalling' under certain conditions....

Edit: Another condition I can say it is not a problem: Approaching roundabouts/exits on Motorways with the raised yellow approach lines: Even although they do 'rattle' the car it's not enough travel to create the noise:

I have a similar problem in my 2018 mk8 Fiesta Titanium. 

On the front wheel area, it makes a creaking noise (similar to a old wooden door creak) when in the start and the apex of a roundabout. And turning the car in a parking space, it seems that the noise is triggered when the weight of the car is only at one side when you turn it. Happens only at low speeds. 

If i wiggle the car left and right, it starts to make a "click click" sound in the same area when i turn the steering wheel from right to left and so on.

The car was at the dealer, changed suspension and the noise is still there. I've seen some CV joint videos where the car makes the same noise as mine, but i still thin that there is something loose (a bundle of cables or something plastic) between the pillars or the door or even the right front part (where the signal lights were placed in old cars)

The car was bought used, only 3 years old and only 18.000 miles. I seriously doubt that is a CV joint or other suspension related problem. But i ain't no mechanic.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:34 PM, Blatto said:

I can't see how Ford can say it's down to the ST-Line having a bigger suspension component on the right that is causing a knocking sound.

If that were the case all ST-Lines would have a knocking sound. 

I got about 40,000 out of my previous two sets of Continental sport contacts.

I have now put a set on Conti's on the front and they seem a bit quieter with no noticeable difference to the handling.

Agree with you, it makes no sense. However I only said what they are claiming, that it is a thing common to all ST-Lines because of the suspension arm.

All the ST-Lines I have tested from the dealership (because I asked them to show me that it was not only my car) had the noise. However, near the dealership there are a lot of road conditions that exacerbate the noise, so it is very easy not to notice.

I believe some owners have this issue but never noticed the noise.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, drezito said:

Agree with you, it makes no sense. However I only said what they are claiming, that it is a thing common to all ST-Lines because of the suspension arm.

All the ST-Lines I have tested from the dealership (because I asked them to show me that it was not only my car) had the noise. However, near the dealership there are a lot of road conditions that exacerbate the noise, so it is very easy not to notice.

During a cleaning session on the cars today, I had a good look under the bonnet, and remembering Smart00d's comment, I had a look around the driver's headlamp.

I noticed that, compared to the nearside, the positioning of the line between the front bumper and wing was not the same, and there was a small gap toward the rear top of the headlamp too. Applying light pressure the lamp moves down a fraction, whereas the nearside is solid. Also, applying upward pressure with the hand straddling the join between wing and bumper, there can be slight movement felt. In fact (although not to the same extent, and I wasn't inside the car) a similar sounding noise could be heard at times either pushing the headlamp or pulling on the wing/bumper. There is absolutely play there that does not exist on the nearside. Is this something to do with the noise? Not sure - I will test drive and listen, but at a loss how to secure anything any more than it already is (the rest of what I checked seemed perfectly fine).

Well it’s not the headlight or the bonnet sound deadening material..

Off to another dealership for the final attempt to diagnose.

3 hours ago, Smartd00d said:

I also checked this on mine and couldn't replicate the sound. 

But, i notices that if i put my hand in the right rearview mirror and move it slightly, it kinda makes the same noise that i hear inside the car. I checked the left one and didn't made the noise. Bit inside the car, it feels like it's coming from the bottom part of the front right door/near the wheel.

I still think that it could be the CV axle, the car was full of dry mud in the bottom, maybe some dirt went inside it. 

I am starting to go insane about this issue. I've already made a written complaint, since i bought the car 3 months ago used, and since been in the dealership for 2 weeks, with no fix. 

6 hours ago, Smartd00d said:

Let us know how you get on. I've not been able to 'prove' it's the light with my own tests; still at it!

2 hours ago, DvxPT said:

I also checked this on mine and couldn't replicate the sound. 

But, i notices that if i put my hand in the right rearview mirror and move it slightly, it kinda makes the same noise that i hear inside the car. I checked the left one and didn't made the noise. Bit inside the car, it feels like it's coming from the bottom part of the front right door/near the wheel.

I still think that it could be the CV axle, the car was full of dry mud in the bottom, maybe some dirt went inside it. 

I am starting to go insane about this issue. I've already made a written complaint, since i bought the car 3 months ago used, and since been in the dealership for 2 weeks, with no fix. 

I am not convinced it is suspension; I feel the noise is transmitting through the bodywork too much for that (essentially it's too sharp and 'close' a sound)......

On 9/2/2021 at 10:41 PM, drezito said:

It is frustrating. Clearly Ford have made this comment more than once yet my own dealer (aside from saying another car had been brought in with the same sound) only wound up saying they'd raise the matter with Ford, unable to diagnose.

The noise i'm having is practically the same as in this video, except mine doesn't creak when reversing, but it pops immediately after i start to accelerate. 

Could be the lower control arm bushings? I've always thought that the problem was more in the steering mechanism than the suspension.

Well today i have found out that the insulation pad inside the front right wing was placed differently than the left one, so i pushed it and tried to get in the same position as the left one, and the noise went worse. 

It was also was the first day of driving the car in rainy conditions so i don't know for sure what may have caused the now more frequent noise. Now everytime i turn the car i hear a "click" in that area. 

3 hours ago, DvxPT said:

Well today i have found out that the insulation pad inside the front right wing was placed differently than the left one, so i pushed it and tried to get in the same position as the left one, and the noise went worse. 

It was also was the first day of driving the car in rainy conditions so i don't know for sure what may have caused the now more frequent noise. Now everytime i turn the car i hear a "click" in that area. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaRcsNhRm3k&t=555s

9m 10s on this video is the sound I am experiencing (Albeit slightly differently sounding as it's heard from the driver's seat. Note the car 'jars' at the time.) I have no creaks or clicks on turning (the car has been on every road I can get to recently) - my next step is going to be doing a bit of filming of the car over an offending surface to see how it looks from the outside!!!!

5 hours ago, DvxPT said:

Does the noise happen whichever way you turn?

Yes. Especially at slow speeds (when parking the car or in roundabouts/turning the car) 

It's a click sound, that you can't feel on the steering wheel. The noise can be heard very well when the radio is off, and it comes from the right front passenger side, in the floor near the wheel. But only when the car is in motion.

I went to a indie mechanic and he said that it could be from the anti-roll bar bushes or something related to that.

7 hours ago, DvxPT said:

Yes. Especially at slow speeds (when parking the car or in roundabouts/turning the car) 

It's a click sound, that you can't feel on the steering wheel. The noise can be heard very well when the radio is off, and it comes from the right front passenger side, in the floor near the wheel. But only when the car is in motion.

I went to a indie mechanic and he said that it could be from the anti-roll bar bushes or something related to that.

Hopefully you get it sorted - I would think ARB bushes are relatively easy to check for slack

Well, today i've spent the morning in an independent shop, and after removing the passenger seat, and door pillars, we found out the cause of my problem.

There is a screw with  a spring inside the side skirt, when it meets the wheel, and after knocking that area, it made a metallic noise, that isn't present in the other side.

They tried and tighten the screw, but it's the spring that isn't tightening. The worst part is that they have to remove the bumper to access that area and fix the problem.

The metallic noise of that area spreads throughout the metal and plastic, and that's what made figuring out the noise origin very difficult. 

Let's hope that the problem will be fixed next week. 

(Not my car)

fsta.jpg

3 hours ago, DvxPT said:

Well, today i've spent the morning in an independent shop, and after removing the passenger seat, and door pillars, we found out the cause of my problem.

There is a screw with  a spring inside the side skirt, when it meets the wheel, and after knocking that area, it made a metallic noise, that isn't present in the other side.

They tried and tighten the screw, but it's the spring that isn't tightening. The worst part is that they have to remove the bumper to access that area and fix the problem.

The metallic noise of that area spreads throughout the metal and plastic, and that's what made figuring out the noise origin very difficult. 

Let's hope that the problem will be fixed next week. 

(Not my car)

fsta.jpg

Very Interesting! Please report back on results of the work! Are you able to 'feel' the screw (acknowledging the wing needs removed to actually get to it)

I didn't touch the screw, but i saw the mechanic trying to tighten it, and it makes a clear high pitched/rattle if you knock the front part of the side skirt from the bottom, they thought it was a small stone inside there.

Before that, we made a test and went with the car with no front passenger seat nor bottom door and safety belt area pillars, and one of the mechanics was in the back seat lying and putting his head near the noisy area, that was in the side skirt, then an older mechanic came in and started knocking in the side skirt near the right wing.   

We also noticed that the noise could be heard from outside the car.

The problem appears to be with the spring between it that is doing the noise, similar to a suspension spring when is bad and clunks when turning.

They think that the skirts are slightly moving in that area when turning, because it's not bolted as tight as it should, and it takes a slight inch in play for the noise to be heard, especially if it's metal rubbing on metal, that magnifies and spreads the noise throughout the right wing and exterior door panel.

I really hope this fixes it, next week i post the info.

• Like 1

Here's a little video showing the origin of the noise.

And here's another one showing the problem:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club