Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Checking out the competitors.

Alex.S

28 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

lack of interest in actually selling cars

I get that too. As if they can’t be arsed doing their job! 
Turns out my local VW dealership closed during covid lockdowns but is now a Toyota dealership! Maybe it was meant to be. Nearest Lexus dealership is in the city centre but realistically it’s out my price range plus the Toyota is higher spec for the money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Nearest Lexus dealership is in the city centre but realistically it’s out my price range plus the Toyota is higher spec for the money. 

Yes, it's a nice car (when you get to drive one!😀) as per my brief review earlier in this thread.

I also liked the Honda Civic (also in my earlier post) and found the staff at my local Honda centre very good indeed. Similar 2.0 hybrid to the Toyota, my only real reservations were its a bit bigger than we need these days and the drive selection was by separate buttons for PRND whereas the Toyota has a shift lever similar to a regular auto which I preferred.

As you can see I decided to have one more adolescent car while I still could, but will probably be looking at Toyota and Honda again after that!

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, it's a nice car (when you get to drive one!😀) as per my brief review earlier in this thread.

I also liked the Honda Civic (also in my earlier post) and found the staff at my local Honda centre very good indeed. Similar 2.0 hybrid to the Toyota, my only real reservations were its a bit bigger than we need these days and the drive selection was by separate buttons for PRND whereas the Toyota has a shift lever similar to a regular auto which I preferred.

As you can see I decided to have one more adolescent car while I still could, but will probably be looking at Toyota and Honda again after that!

I was reading up on CVT and eCVT   
Completely out my depth but some cutting opinions on YouTube review comments. 

btw u (all) probably noticed my memory isn’t good these days, remembering comments earlier in a thread is a problem. Can’t remember what day it is. So happy Easter and all the best for 2004 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Completely out my depth but some cutting opinions on YouTube review comments. 

There's no substitute for trying them out for yourself (if possible! 😀). A reviewers likes/dislikes can be completely different to your own.  My perception of hybrids has changed (for the better) since driving the current Corolla and Civic, for example. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There's no substitute for trying them out for yourself (if possible! 😀). A reviewers likes/dislikes can be completely different to your own.  My perception of hybrids has changed (for the better) since driving the current Corolla and Civic, for example. 

Just checked the website, Civic isn’t available. Jazz, HR-V or the ridiculous Honda e   !! 

• 2 months later...

October 1st new quarter for Motability.  The Focus ST Line X 155 MHEV auto has dropped from £1500 AP to £600. Which is tempting but other manufacturers have dropped theirs too. I’m Interested  in this golf at £1350 but the R line which I’d prefer is a grand more. As far as I can tell they’re both very similar, can’t really justify the extra £££ for the sporty one. 

6C5E0D67-A2D4-477C-9905-339BDAD06DA6.png

8A80FFD5-3F6D-4CE6-91C0-D47ADA276AF3.png

• Like 1

The £1200 difference is probably £2000 worth of extras 🤔 

I thought you'd be put off the latest selection of VAG cars by the Octavia.

The Mk8 Golf should be getting a facelift next year which will improve the infotainment and buttons etc.

R-Line has different suspension, different looks, different wheels and different seats...but is that worth an extra grand AP? 🤔

• Like 1

I’m getting used to the Octavia. I need to research the r line spec. Iirc VW leather interior is £2K alone. A facelift mk8 would/should be good.  The latest I can order is June. 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

A facelift mk8 would/should be good.  The latest I can order is June. 

From what I've seen so far, the Mk 8 facelift is set to go on sale second half of 2024. Not seen mention of when the order book opens, though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

From what I've seen so far, the Mk 8 facelift is set to go on sale second half of 2024. Not seen mention of when the order book opens, though.

I was reading about golf mk8 facelift on autocar. If they open their order books around January it could work out well. That’d be into the next quarter though. I’m thinking maybe they’ve cut their AP prices to get rid of the last of the mk8 🧐 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

. I’m thinking maybe they’ve cut their AP prices to get rid of the last of the mk8 🧐 

Perhaps so. A neighbour of mind has just got a Mk 8 Golf and he seemed pretty happy with the deal, which is unusual as he never seems happy about anything normally!😀

• Haha 3

This Octavia infotainment screen is infuriating. It was glitchy from the start but I thought using CarPlay plugged in or not it wouldn’t be a problem. I was wrong 😑 

I’ve decided Ford Sync is actually pretty good !!! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

This Octavia infotainment screen is infuriating. 

Yes, similar story across the range of VW Group cars using the same basic set up as the Golf 8 I understand. Hence the forthcoming facelift. I believe the VW ID range of BEVs (and siblings) have similar issues. Also problems with the steering wheel "buttons" which are actually touch sensitive pads.

Certainly put me off VW etc for the time being.

7 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Also problems with the steering wheel "buttons" which are actually touch sensitive pads.

Yep autocar mentions going back to physical buttons on the steering wheel. This Skoda actually has proper steering wheel buttons. They’re About the only reliable part of the infotainment system. 

I’ve no idea what VW lead times are , focus are currently 6 months. I wonder if VW are taking orders for the facelift already 🤔 

I just DM  VW , they’ve no information on the facelift golf. Straight from the horses mouth. 

• Sad 1

£1995 AP for a £47k motor WTF 😳 insurance group 36

43B1BFCB-562C-44BE-ACC5-58E9907506A2.png

F80C811C-E261-4BD9-BC3B-763721C3AD25.png

I'm late to the party on this thread. I've no idea what AP is. 

However the insurance group for the Lexus is unfortunate because of a spate of thefts of the most fabulous RX450h. The rip off insurance companies have now penalised Lexus owners because of it. Shame coz personally speaking there's no better cars in their respective trim level/ class.

• Like 1

Currently i'm using the focus 155mhev manual. the only competitor i'm looking to change it is the new honda civic hybrid. Out of all the other competitor cars i need something that i can drive in urban traffic and not feel bad for the clutch or the engine being driven like a granny. 

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/2022/12/2022-honda-civic-hybrid-01.jpg?fit=around|875:492

5 hours ago, ford focus 155 active said:

Currently i'm using the focus 155mhev manual. the only competitor i'm looking to change it is the new honda civic hybrid. Out of all the other competitor cars i need something that i can drive in urban traffic and not feel bad for the clutch or the engine being driven like a granny. 

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/2022/12/2022-honda-civic-hybrid-01.jpg?fit=around|875:492

I’m due a change and the focus 155 MHEV ST Line X is the mk4.5 equivalent of my 182 auto. I’ve not driven one of the 155 focus but had a fiesta for a day with the same 155 engine but in a manual, wasn’t really impressed, I thought they’d given me a 100bhp fiesta but was the 155. I think I’d need to get a focus 155 automatic for a couple of days to decide on that. 

14 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

I've no idea what AP is. 

Advance Payment, it’s for Motability. Everyone pays the same weekly but an investment in Advance Payment can get higher spec cars. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ford focus 155 active said:

the only competitor i'm looking to change it is the new honda civic hybrid.

Very nice car. Posted a few comments after test driving this and the Toyota Corolla earlier in this thread (page 10 I think).

On 10/2/2023 at 1:46 PM, Alex.S said:

I’m due a change and the focus 155 MHEV ST Line X is the mk4.5 equivalent of my 182 auto. I’ve not driven one of the 155 focus but had a fiesta for a day with the same 155 engine but in a manual, wasn’t really impressed, I thought they’d given me a 100bhp fiesta but was the 155.

well 1.0 engines from 100, 125 and 155 hp have almost the same power and torque curve.
100 and 125 are exactly the same engine until 4500rpm where the 100 continues only developing 100hp and the 125 rises that to 125 at around 5500rpm

the 155 has more power. At 4500rpm it does around 120hp at 5500 it goes up to 140. Peak power is between 5800-6200rpm. 

if you drive normally there is not a difference between those 3 engines. 
1.5 180hp vs 1.0 155. At 3000rpm there is 17hp difference!!! And that continues to be the case at 4500 where there is 20hp difference. The 1.5 is much quicker and that can be felt even though both engines have the same peak power. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ford focus 155 active said:

well 1.0 engines from 100, 125 and 155 hp have almost the same power and torque curve.
100 and 125 are exactly the same engine until 4500rpm where the 100 continues only developing 100hp and the 125 rises that to 125 at around 5500rpm

the 155 has more power. At 4500rpm it does around 120hp at 5500 it goes up to 140. Peak power is between 5800-6200rpm. 

if you drive normally there is not a difference between those 3 engines. 
1.5 180hp vs 1.0 155. At 3000rpm there is 17hp difference!!! And that continues to be the case at 4500 where there is 20hp difference. The 1.5 is much quicker and that can be felt even though both engines have the same peak power. 

I suspected as much. The 182 I’ve really enjoyed (4years) but the 155 I drove a fiesta 155 manual and was disappointed. I’ve now got more options so …… we’ll see 🧐 

The Skoda lane assist is on default. Not just a button either it’s a menu >sub menu. Pain in the *****. It’s like having a whining wife in the passenger seat! Coalition avoidance too. There’s so many options on the infotainment screen I’m apprehensive about pressing these toggle buttons. I’ll post an example as I had these photos already. 

97D0C5BC-60AA-4EFA-A9E2-EBD9F990ACD1.jpeg

BC0AF645-C07D-4954-ABF9-EAB2D4039220.jpeg

93FA297D-6C4C-4F18-8641-B8978D0D348B.jpeg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club