Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK4.5 2022+ issues thread

Chera

35 minutes ago, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

Hi,  I'm waiting delivery of my Mk4.5 ST-Line X - i was wondering if you can stream podcasts, music ect using the cars Bluetooth? 

Of course, you can stream the music using youtube, you just need to connect your phone to the bluetooth 🙂

I made a car soundproof in my country for the doors, pillars, and roof and it costed me around 800 pounds which I think it's a huge price...The owner from there said this generation of Focus it's one of the worst in terms of noise isolation because it has a really thin plate on the car( I could see this because already a small rock made a crack on it 😞 ) 

26 minutes ago, Chera said:

Of course, you can stream the music using youtube, you just need to connect your phone to the Bluetooth 🙂

cheers bud, I wouldn't put it pass these car makers to block bluetooth in order to force users to pay the streaming sub lol 

• Haha 1

You're right, at least Ford is still not forcing us to use the builtin app and we can still use bluetooth 😄

Mk4s from 2019 had live traffic 2 years complimentary then £3 a month. They then introduced local hazard information from 2020 which my 2019 wasn’t able to use. I paid the £3 for a few months, imo it’s a rip off. Free in USA btw. I find Waze does the same job and better. 

• Like 2

Isolated the car doors, roof, and pillars today and changed the Speakers with musway me6.2c, I hope it'll be a difference, I'll pick up the car tomorrow or on Thursday 😄

image.thumb.png.1ecab05d99025729724526dc14888da1.pngimage.thumb.png.2433fde2223bf14d1dd09a073e9a746a.pngimage.thumb.png.0c2fa22a22e9af665f0699b2b3bd3c8b.png

Update:

There is a big difference between the stock Ford Speakers and those Musway Speakers 🙂

Also, this sound isolation it's really a good upgrade for the car, it's now finally silent at 80-100km/h 🙂 

On 10/31/2023 at 8:40 AM, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

Hi,  I'm waiting delivery of my Mk4.5 ST-Line X - i was wondering if you can stream podcasts, music ect using the cars Bluetooth? 

You have to sign up for in car streaming. You can of course use your Spotify, BBC sounds etc through apple or android car play. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stevie H79 said:

You have to sign up for in car streaming. You can of course use your Spotify, BBC sounds etc through apple or android car play. 

Sign up for?!? I thought they bluetooth stream music by just pairing your device? 🧐 

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Sign up for?!? I thought they Bluetooth stream music by just pairing your device? 🧐 

I assume you have to sign up if you want to do it all through Sync and not bluetooth.

29 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

I assume you have to sign up if you want to do it all through Sync and not bluetooth.

Sign up to what? You pair your smartphone for phone calls and music , whether that’s Spotify etc or music you own on your phone or a usb stick 🧐 That’s what sync3 does 🧐 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dontpannic said:

It’s been 4 years since I set up my iPhone , things have maybe changed or I don’t remember correctly 

49 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Sign up to what? You pair your smartphone for phone calls and music , whether that’s Spotify etc or music you own on your phone or a usb stick 🧐 That’s what sync3 does 🧐 

I'm assuming it's to use the cars onboard modem to access the internet. 

I'd be very surprised if Sync 4 didn't support bluetooth audio streaming.

That's been a thing since before Sync 1 on cars.

Talking sync4 , are OTA updates working better than sync3 ? I’m driving a Skoda (for now) , one click of a button it automatically gets OTA updates, every journey it updates a bit until it’s complete. New Fords must surely be capable of that by now? 

6 hours ago, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

I'm assuming it's to use the cars onboard modem to access the internet. 

Mk4s have a SIM card , does same job as a modem I think. Useless unless you pay for data which is crazy as most of us pay for data already on our smartphones. Only OTA I managed was a weak signal outside my house. Took a week to download about 6gb iirc. 

Radar has gone in my 2022 ST Line. Parking sensors now scream at every red light, when I’m a good 2ft away from the nearest vehicle. ESC service required, pre collision fault, hill start assist fault. Traction control light permanently on. 

Trying to get it in under warranty, however I drive for work and nowhere can offer me a courtesy car! 

16 hours ago, Alex.S said:

If Sync 4 has it's own built in modem then I assume you can sign up to use that data connection to stream Spotify etc directly from the infotainment screen without needing to pair your phone. I thought I made sense at least!

9 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Mk4s have a SIM card , does same job as a modem I think. Useless unless you pay for data which is crazy as most of us pay for data already on our smartphones. Only OTA I managed was a weak signal outside my house. Took a week to download about 6gb iirc. 

No. A modem is a device which communicates with the network. The SIM card is the "ID" that links an account with the network. You put a SIM card into a modem to access the network.

The MK4 I assume will have a modem, and a data connection through a Ford supplied SIM presumably for OTA updates/FordPass/Live Traffic etc, I suspect you can pay an additional fee to use this data connection to use apps and services built in to Sync such as Spotify etc.

2 hours ago, dontpannic said:

If Sync 4 has it's own built in modem then I assume you can sign up to use that data connection

Sync3 has it built in , the deal was with Vodafone iirc . We got some data complimentary (can’t remember how much) the money they were asking for data was just silly money. Data is a lot cheaper now I guess. What you’re talking about probably is the future, Ford announced a few years ago that Google would be making all the computer stuff as of 2024. It’ll be like those sky televisions you get now with everything built in. 
As for updates , downloading from Ford website was a lot of hassle, OTA didn’t work well. This Skoda OTA updates without signing up or paying for data. VAG right enough. Just rambling now lol 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Sync3 has it built in , the deal was with Vodafone iirc . We got some data complimentary (can’t remember how much) the money they were asking for data was just silly money. Data is a lot cheaper now I guess. What you’re talking about probably is the future, Ford announced a few years ago that Google would be making all the computer stuff as of 2024. It’ll be like those sky televisions you get now with everything built in. 
As for updates , downloading from Ford website was a lot of hassle, OTA didn’t work well. This Skoda OTA updates without signing up or paying for data. VAG right enough. Just rambling now lol 

Got a 2019 Focus that doesn't update anything very well at all. Got a 2020 BMW that updates everything seamlessly OTA (except indicators before anyone else says it). I can even buy OTA vehicle upgrades if I so wished.

17 minutes ago, tomo2001 said:

Got a 2019 Focus that doesn't update anything very well at all. Got a 2020 BMW that updates everything seamlessly OTA (except indicators before anyone else says it). I can even buy OTA vehicle upgrades if I so wished.

BMW needs a working OTA connection to charge a monthly fee for all the hardware already included on your car though.

It can't turn on your heated seats without first checking with the Munich mothership if you've paid your bill 😛

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, alexp999 said:

BMW needs a working OTA connection to charge a monthly fee for all the hardware already included on your car though.

It can't turn on your heated seats without first checking with the Munich mothership if you've paid your bill 😛

Depends on model/year but get what you mean. Only option I can buy is high beam assist

Screenshot_20231110_165227_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, tomo2001 said:

Only option I can buy is high beam assist

Is that because you already have all the extras? 
tbh I didn’t know this was a thing. Do you need to go to a dealership or is it enabled remotely? 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

Is that because you already have all the extras? 
tbh I didn’t know this was a thing. Do you need to go to a dealership or is it enabled remotely? 

TBF only got a basic model but a lot more things standard than you would think, and for Ford Focus money. Not saying it's a better car in anyway, it's a different car. What I can say is everything works and updates just 'happen'. Get in the car and prompts on screen advise 'Software Update' complete, 'Map Update' complete etc. No messing about with USB updates, parked for hours trying to get WiFi connection. OTA technology these days is accessible to any car manufacturer inc. Ford.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 11:02 PM, Alex.S said:

Talking sync4 , are OTA updates working better than sync3 ? I’m driving a Skoda (for now) , one click of a button it automatically gets OTA updates, every journey it updates a bit until it’s complete. New Fords must surely be capable of that by now? 

I find the Skoda system a PITA personally, mainly because it only updates when the car is static and so it takes forever meaning it bugs you every time you start the car.  Perhaps the reception isn’t very strong where I am though as I have tried sitting in the car for 30 mins with the engine running and it still finds something else to update 🤔.  

I’d love the facility to just download it onto a usb and get it over with which I believe some Skoda’s still have.  That said, given how good the system is in the Scala (though it’s not perfect) I’m nervous about returning to anything called sync based on previous experience.  Likewise going to Powershift from the VAG DSG box!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club