Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus MK4.5 2022+ issues thread

Chera

2 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

I find the Skoda system a PITA personally, mainly because it only updates when the car is static and so it takes forever meaning it bugs you every time you start the car.  Perhaps the reception isn’t very strong where I am though as I have tried sitting in the car for 30 mins with the engine running and it still finds something else to update 🤔.  

I’d love the facility to just download it onto a usb and get it over with which I believe some Skoda’s still have.  That said, given how good the system is in the Scala (though it’s not perfect) I’m nervous about returning to anything called sync based on previous experience.  Likewise going to Powershift from the VAG DSG box!

I’ve driven powershift once. DSG i had in the Skoda for 2 months , it was ok but I think the 1L engine wasn’t quick or powerful enough. Smooth gear changes in some scenarios but I prefer this torque converter (even though it needed replaced at 58k !) Conclusion .. the Ford is a far superior car compared to the Skoda e-tec . Btw I know very little about gearboxes  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

I find the Skoda system a PITA personally, mainly because it only updates when the car is static and so it takes forever meaning it bugs you every time you start the car.  Perhaps the reception isn’t very strong where I am though as I have tried sitting in the car for 30 mins with the engine running and it still finds something else to update 🤔.  

I’d love the facility to just download it onto a usb and get it over with which I believe some Skoda’s still have.  That said, given how good the system is in the Scala (though it’s not perfect) I’m nervous about returning to anything called sync based on previous experience.  Likewise going to Powershift from the VAG DSG box!

This time you're wrong 🙂

I'm starting to hate Ford for making cost-cutting exactly where is the most important thing(comfort, road noise, slow updates), but this new Sync4 it's good. If you have WIFI nearby and you're connected to that network, you'll have the surprise that the car makes automatic updates at night if you turn on this in the settings, and when you're starting to drive, you'll see that your car has been updated 🙂 I have like 2-3 lines signal and for me it was always fine, I never had issues with the WIFI updates, and about the USB updates, they stopped providing this when they launched sync4 cloud-based model, I agree that's much better to just update your car using an USB, but let's not denigrate Ford for making a good alternative. 

• Like 1

Sync 4 being better is still an opinion. It’s not a matter of right or wrong. 

For me, getting rid of the climate controls and forcing subscriptions for things that are free on Sync 3 is worse. USB is a great option for people on slow internet or not in range of WiFi. And something I appreciate on sync 3. OTA are great when they work though.

@tarbyonline Which versions of Sync have you experienced previously? Sync 1 & 2 are Windows CE, Sync 3 & 4 are QNX.

16 hours ago, Alex.S said:

I’ve driven powershift once. DSG i had in the Skoda for 2 months , it was ok but I think the 1L engine wasn’t quick or powerful enough. Smooth gear changes in some scenarios but I prefer this torque converter (even though it needed replaced at 58k !) Conclusion .. the Ford is a far superior car compared to the Skoda e-tec . Btw I know very little about gearboxes  

See I had a 7 speed Powershift before and found it very jerky compared to both the 6 and 7 speed VW boxes.  Perhaps they’ve improved over the years.  I hope so!

9 hours ago, Chera said:

This time you're wrong 🙂

I'm starting to hate Ford for making cost-cutting exactly where is the most important thing(comfort, road noise, slow updates), but this new Sync4 it's good. If you have WIFI nearby and you're connected to that network, you'll have the surprise that the car makes automatic updates at night if you turn on this in the settings, and when you're starting to drive, you'll see that your car has been updated 🙂 I have like 2-3 lines signal and for me it was always fine, I never had issues with the WIFI updates, and about the USB updates, they stopped providing this when they launched sync4 cloud-based model, I agree that's much better to just update your car using an USB, but let's not denigrate Ford for making a good alternative. 

Unfortunately I won’t be able to get a good Wi-Fi signal where I have to park my car, but good that there’s a choice!

@alexp999I suspect it was sync 2….  Super laggy late Mk3 focus touchscreen.  Whatever was in my end of the line 2017 Fiesta Zetec Nav wasn’t bad to be fair though quite limited in features.  It was definitely an improvement on what was in the earlier mk7’s I had though I believe there was better hardware too.  I doubt any of these software offerings are running on very powerful hardware in any case.

I agree about moving the climate controls.  The Skoda I have atm has some physical knobs but you really need to use the touchscreen unless you are just changing the target temp and it’s a little laggy.  I wouldn’t even consider adjusting while driving tbh.  

12 hours ago, alexp999 said:

Sync 4 being better is still an opinion. It’s not a matter of right or wrong. 

For me, getting rid of the climate controls and forcing subscriptions for things that are free on Sync 3 is worse. USB is a great option for people on slow internet or not in range of WiFi. And something I appreciate on sync 3. OTA are great when they work though.

@tarbyonline Which versions of Sync have you experienced previously? Sync 1 & 2 are Windows CE, Sync 3 & 4 are QNX.

I think most of us in 2023 has a good WIFI connection, come on, we're in 2023...Also, I agree that the touch screen climate controls are really annoying, I have many issues in using them by having accidental touches and lag, but otherwise Sync4 seems to be fine.

I hate that I need to pay a monthly fee to get live traffic updates... 

1 hour ago, Chera said:

I paid for live traffic for a few months. Complete rip off. Plug your phone in and open Waze , does everything live traffic does and better too. 

5 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

See I had a 7 speed Powershift before and found it very jerky compared to both the 6 and 7 speed VW boxes.  Perhaps they’ve improved over the years.  I hope so!

So the focus mk 4.5 auto is back to power shift? And you’re waiting delivery on a new one ?  I like the 8 speed torque converter but if I owned the car I really would not be happy having to replace it at 58k ! 

4 hours ago, Chera said:

I think most of us in 2023 has a good WIFI connection, come on, we're in 2023...Also, I agree that the touch screen climate controls are really annoying, I have many issues in using them by having accidental touches and lag, but otherwise Sync4 seems to be fine.

My car is parked across the street in residential parking - the Wi-Fi doesn’t stretch that far.  Mobile reception isn’t great here either unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

So the focus mk 4.5 auto is back to power shift? And you’re waiting delivery on a new one ?  I like the 8 speed torque converter but if I owned the car I really would not be happy having to replace it at 58k ! 

Yes it appears they’ve gone back to 7 speed Powershift now.

I am about to order but haven’t decided between the ST-Line X and the Titanium X.  My heart wants the sportier looking ST Line but I have a lot of speed bumps on my commute (which will be the main use for the car) so my head says lower stiffer suspension is maybe not such a good idea!

11 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

My car is parked across the street in residential parking - the Wi-Fi doesn’t stretch that far.  Mobile reception isn’t great here either unfortunately.

Yes it appears they’ve gone back to 7 speed Powershift now.

I am about to order but haven’t decided between the ST-Line X and the Titanium X.  My heart wants the sportier looking ST Line but I have a lot of speed bumps on my commute (which will be the main use for the car) so my head says lower stiffer suspension is maybe not such a good idea!

It’s a difficult decision, I opted for the STLX over the titanium x because of the engine that was only available at the time in the STLX and the Vignale. No regrets but can be bumpy and noisy. Full leather in both now, mines half leather. What’s the titanium got that the STLX hasn’t ? 

8 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

It’s a difficult decision, I opted for the STLX over the titanium x because of the engine that was only available at the time in the STLX and the Vignale. No regrets but can be bumpy and noisy. Full leather in both now, mines half leather. What’s the titanium got that the STLX hasn’t ? 

10mm more suspension travel, 18 instead of 17 inch wheels, and a less “sporty” interior (round wheel, no red stitching, etc).  It’s really just looks and suspension now from what I can see.  Of course 18’s will make the ride even harsher.

10mm more suspension travel, 18 instead of 17 inch wheels, and a less “sporty” interior (round wheel, no red stitching, etc).  It’s really just looks and suspension now from what I can see.  Of course 18’s will make the ride even harsher.

Any extras compared with the st line? HUD , reversing camera , sun roof? 

11 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Any extras compared with the st line? HUD , reversing camera , sun roof? 

Heated seats and steering wheel, B&O sound, led instrument cluster, ambient lighting, and different seats (plus the bigger alloys).  I want the sound system and digital instrument cluster, though I believe you can’t put the Sat Nav across most of it like I can on my current car.  Edit: you also get privacy glass, carpet mats, and wireless charging,

It’s quite a simple range now - 3 trim levels plus an X option to add the above on each (and then the ST).

Can only get the reversing camera as part of the £550 pack afaik.  Not sure I’d need the hud with the digital instruments.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

Heated seats and steering wheel, B&O sound, led instrument cluster, ambient lighting, and different seats (plus the bigger alloys).  I want the sound system and digital instrument cluster, though I believe you can’t put the Sat Nav across most of it like I can on my current car.  Edit: you also get privacy glass, carpet mats, and wireless charging,

It’s quite a simple range now - 3 trim levels plus an X option to add the above on each (and then the ST).

Can only get the reversing camera as part of the £550 pack afaik.  Not sure I’d need the hud with the digital instruments.

Are these things as standard? On the TX ? 

2 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Are these things as standard? On the TX ? 

Yes, tbh the X is basically like a pack where you get an inch bigger wheels and some nice interior upgrades.  Apart from the wheels and scuff plate branding ( Vignale on the titanium x), it seems to be the same across active x, st line x, and titanium x.  St Line X gets red stitching instead of the grey on the others.

I had a look at the parking pack but it appears you have to do the throttle yourself with Powershift - I believe this was taken care of with the 8 speed auto.  Wonder what the story is with it being dropped.  Was it THAT unreliable?

Edit:  Also seems that to get the 155 you have to take Powershift.  The 125 is only available in manual.

Yes, tbh the X is basically like a pack where you get an inch bigger wheels and some nice interior upgrades.  Apart from the wheels and scuff plate branding ( Vignale on the titanium x), it seems to be the same across active x, st line x, and titanium x.  St Line X gets red stitching instead of the grey on the others.

I had a look at the parking pack but it appears you have to do the throttle yourself with Powershift - I believe this was taken care of with the 8 speed auto.  Wonder what the story is with it being dropped.  Was it THAT unreliable?

Edit:  Also seems that to get the 155 you have to take Powershift.  The 125 is only available in manual.

It is like a pack , if you do the sums it’s cheaper than adding stuff to a lower spec car. There was a forum member on here got a mk4 STLX with all the extra packs. Turned out he could’ve got all of it and a few grand cheaper getting a vignale. About the 8 speed I got to 58k without any issues, then needed replacing. Did Ford see this coming I really don’t know.  The 155 was manual only for ages. I’ll consider that with the new powershift box now. The reversing camera should be as standard though. 

23 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

It is like a pack , if you do the sums it’s cheaper than adding stuff to a lower spec car. There was a forum member on here got a mk4 STLX with all the extra packs. Turned out he could’ve got all of it and a few grand cheaper getting a vignale. About the 8 speed I got to 58k without any issues, then needed replacing. Did Ford see this coming I really don’t know.  The 155 was manual only for ages. I’ll consider that with the new powershift box now. The reversing camera should be as standard though. 

I'm picking a 155 ST Line X auto up on Monday, I never test drove the car, i drone the 125 active manual.  I was wondering about the reversing camera, i couldn't see it mentioned in the documents and was worried it wouldn't have one, as you know it's so handy having it.  do you think it comes standard and isn't in with a pack?

On 11/21/2023 at 7:53 PM, Chera said:

can it be connected to the phones hotspot?

40 minutes ago, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

I'm picking a 155 ST Line X auto up on Monday, I never test drove the car, i drone the 125 active manual.  I was wondering about the reversing camera, i couldn't see it mentioned in the documents and was worried it wouldn't have one, as you know it's so handy having it.  do you think it comes standard and isn't in with a pack?

I think it’s only part of the pack which as mentioned is £550. I’ve yet to drive a 155 auto. Similar 0-60 8secs as my 180ps but better mpg. I ordered my STLX 4 years ago without driving one. Big gamble but if the 155 drives like the 182 and the powershift box is good then you won’t be disappointed. 

33 minutes ago, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

can it be connected to the phones hotspot?

Don’t thinks so. 

19 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

I think it’s only part of the pack which as mentioned is £550. I’ve yet to drive a 155 auto. Similar 0-60 8secs as my 180ps but better mpg. I ordered my STLX 4 years ago without driving one. Big gamble but if the 155 drives like the 182 and the powershift box is good then you won’t be disappointed. 

fingers crossed bud, 0-60 in 8 seconds, that's 1980s/90s hot-hatch numbers.  the interior of the ST-Line X is outstanding (looking at pictures) can you believe the biggest Ford dealer in Northern Ireland didn't have an ST-Line X to test drive and couldn't get one either, never mind the X Estate, isn't that shocking.  i would never buy a 2nd hard car without a test drive, but I'd spend £30k+ on a new one with a test drive. 

19 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

fingers crossed bud, 0-60 in 8 seconds, that's 1980s/90s hot-hatch numbers.  the interior of the ST-Line X is outstanding (looking at pictures) can you believe the biggest Ford dealer in Northern Ireland didn't have an ST-Line X to test drive and couldn't get one either, never mind the X Estate, isn't that shocking.  i would never buy a 2nd hard car without a test drive, but I'd spend £30k+ on a new one with a test drive. 

On 11/21/2023 at 11:44 PM, Alex.S said:

I paid for live traffic for a few months. Complete rip off. Plug your phone in and open Waze , does everything live traffic does and better too. 

For me it saved me 1 time...I was on highway this year on Austria and it was a big storm coming, and the car warned me about heavy rain that's in that area and about the fact that it was a car crash ahead 🙂

So the weather information received are quite accurate if the country that you're living in send this kind of information to Ford about local hazards

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IrishFocus-ST-Line said:

5 hours ago, Alex.S said:

AFAIK you can only get the camera as part of the parking pack. Pretty sure there's a guide on this forum on installing one yourself, though obviously that would be at your own risk and you have to pull parts of the car apart to do so (and also buy the bits and enable it in the car software of course)!  

It does seem rather stingy to not include the rear camera on a car that costs over 30 grand!  Mind you, it isn't just Ford - just the rear camera is a £330 option on a 30 grand Golf Style (though it has adaptive cruise control as standard, but a heated windscreen isn't even a option).  Gone are the days when you could just buy a car at a certain price point and know you got all the toys (or even have them as options)!

6 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Yeah, it looks like the X trim has largely replaced the old Vignale option from reading about.  The seats even have Vignale labels on them.  

Edit:  You can see just how similar they all are on this pricelist which lists the main spec https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/price-list/cars/PL-New_Focus.pdf 

AFAIK the Ford 8 speed auto is/was the same used by Vauxhall/Opel.   Though pretty sure the PSA EAT8 is the same or similar box too.  Perhaps Ford didn't want to pay licences or the cost of buying them in became too high or something 🤷‍♂️.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tarbyonline said:

AFAIK you can only get the camera as part of the parking pack. Pretty sure there's a guide on this forum on installing one yourself, though obviously that would be at your own risk and you have to pull parts of the car apart to do so (and also buy the bits and enable it in the car software of course)!  

It does seem rather stingy to not include the rear camera on a car that costs over 30 grand!  Mind you, it isn't just Ford - just the rear camera is a £330 option on a 30 grand Golf Style (though it has adaptive cruise control as standard, but a heated windscreen isn't even a option).  Gone are the days when you could just buy a car at a certain price point and know you got all the toys (or even have them as options)!

Yeah, it looks like the X trim has largely replaced the old Vignale option from reading about.  The seats even have Vignale labels on them.  

Edit:  You can see just how similar they all are on this pricelist which lists the main spec https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/uk/documents/price-list/cars/PL-New_Focus.pdf 

AFAIK the Ford 8 speed auto is/was the same used by Vauxhall/Opel.   Though pretty sure the PSA EAT8 is the same or similar box too.  Perhaps Ford didn't want to pay licences or the cost of buying them in became too high or something 🤷‍♂️.

it's quite annoying that the rear camera isn't standard, my partners bog standard Kia has a rear camera, just Ford trying to cash in on punters buying packs to get the 1 feature they really want.   

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club