Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0L EcoBoost mHEV worth it?

marduk

Been doing some research as I'm considering getting a new Fiesta (probably ST-line X). I've looked for feedback on the mild hybrid options and seen some mixed opinions. Some didn't like the way it felt, but others thought it was decent. Most of the stuff I was able to find was from a while ago though, so I was hoping for some updated opinions on whether it's worth getting at the moment?

I've read that the 1.1 engine has more issues, so the 1.0 is a better choice. Is the hybrid option worth it though? The cost difference isn't that great, so from an economical perspective, it will probably pay for itself. Is it reliable long-term though, or are there known issues that might make it best avoided? 

Any input would be welcome. Thanks!

You really need to have a test drive to see whether you like the regenerative braking or not.  There's no way to base that on anyone else's experience.

As for reliability - the 1.1 still uses a wet cambelt like the old 1.0.  But the MHEV still has a wet oil belt alongside the cam chain...and it's too soon to say how reliable that will be.

Everyone I k now who has had the 1.1 have said it is bloomin awful.

Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding, plus not very good on fuel, because you have to thrash it to get anywhere. Plus, I have heard they eat clutches.

Many other manufacturers are available BTW

E.G a Toyota Yaris Hybrid will do up to 70 MPG around town

1 hour ago, marduk said:

The cost difference isn't that great,

You can only get the 1.1 in the Trend (75ps). The cheapest ST-L X (the 100ps non-MHEV) is about £3k more, the 125ps MHEV another £1k or so so quite a difference to most wallets.

Don't know if by "new" you mean "new to you" or "brand new" - if the latter you'll need to act fast if you want to order a new one before production ends in June, unless you stumble across a car in stock.

Personally I'd get the mHEV (I did!). The mHEV uses a redesigned engine with the flow across the head reversed, the turbo behind the engine and cam chains instead of the notorious wet cam belt. The non-mHEV 100PS (at least the ones I have seen)  uses the older engine design with the wet belt and the turbo in front of the engine.

Mhev! It’s a very versatile engine that pulls extremely well, cruises beautifully and is very economical, especially when cruising 60-70mph. You’ll get 60mpg on a run easily.

Its a little more ‘gruff’ than the 100 non mhev but not really noticeable and the stop-start is a joy (you don’t even realise it’s stopped/restarted).

There is the signature increased engine braking, especially in sport mode, which is easy to get used to and actually quite useful in some situations in stop/start traffic where you can use one pedal to speed up/slow down.

I’m sure it’ll keep its value better and be more reliable in the long run with its chain cam, although the battery and generator might be future issues no one knows about yet.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input so far everyone. To answer a couple of queries

When I said it doesn’t cost much more, I was already considering the ST-Line X, so I meant the mHEV version of that doesn’t cost much more than the standard version. I’m looking at buying brand new, and the mHEV is less than £1k more expensive. There are some decent reductions on nationwide-cars.co.uk, which is what made me consider getting a new one, as I was originally looking at used models.

It seems like people have had positive experiences so far. Has the mHEV version been around for long?

Yes, as mentioned earlier the 125 mhev is about £1k more than the 100ps so if that's what you are comparing the 125 is well worth it for the power/torque hike imo.

Mhev came in on the Fiesta mid-2020. 

17 hours ago, agraham said:

Personally I'd get the mHEV (I did!). The mHEV uses a redesigned engine with the flow across the head reversed, the turbo behind the engine and cam chains instead of the notorious wet cam belt. The non-mHEV 100PS (at least the ones I have seen)  uses the older engine design with the wet belt and the turbo in front of the engine.

The wife's 2022 (manufactured March '22) Fiesta 1.0 95 hp FlexFuel (non mHEV) has the cylinder head reversed and the turbo behind the engine.

That's a non-UK spec I guess. The UK ones I have seen have the older engine - unless of course they have run out of them by now!

2 minutes ago, Don MC said:

Yes. Very much non-UK. The steering wheel is on the proper side 🙂

If it's not on the right side, surely it must be the wrong side? :wink: 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, agraham said:

That's a non-UK spec I guess. The UK ones I have seen have the older engine - unless of course they have run out of them by now!

Yes, I remember @iantt posting some time back that he had seen the 100ps still coming through with the wet belt engine, don't know if that's still the case.

In the UK price list, the lower powered Ecoboost went from 100ps to 95ps for a while, now it's back to 100ps, don't know if there were any physical differences.

That's an interesting point. So would there be no way to know which engine configuration I was going to get in advance, if they haven't been consistent in the past? I wanted to avoid the ones with the wet cambelt. I know it's probably only a small proportion that have issues, but it makes the whole thing feel like a bit more of a dice-roll. I was considering a used A1 or Golf originally, but for the price I was looking to spend, though a brand new Fiesta might be a better idea, but I've been on the fence because the previous engine issues. Are they still a concern or does it sound like I'm just being dramatic?

Best way to be sure to avoid the wet cambelt is to go for the mhev! If you are buying new the dealer ought to be able to tell you which engine it has anyway, but from the info reported on here I'd be inclined to assume the 100ps was wet belt unless someone could prove otherwise.

You could be over-thinking it though, as you say.

There have been many threads on here about wet belt problems but, from memory, they have generally cropped up in cars that have done 40k+ and had one or more previous owners. I can't recall an instance of a car bought new and regularly and correctly serviced featuring in the problems.

For perspective, up to 2019, Ford had built over 1.6 million wet belt ecoboosts, so the proportion with issues has been very small. I know lots of people (including myself) who have had wet belt ecoboosts from new, had them correctly serviced, and had no problems whatsoever. 

I don't think anyone could 100% guarantee any engine, irrespective of make, would be trouble free - there are plenty of horror stories on VW/Audi forums for instance.

Thanks very much for the insight Eric, that has been very helpful so I really appreciate it. 

Do you know for sure that the mHEV doesn't have the wet cambelt? I'd tried checking this myself but can't find the info anywhere.

2 hours ago, marduk said:

Do you know for sure that the mHEV doesn't have the wet cambelt? I'd tried checking this myself but can't find the info anywhere.

See Tom's post (first reply in this thread). The mHEV has a chain cam drive, not a belt, but has a wet belt oil pump drive, as do many other engines.

You didn't mention how long you intend to keep this car, but If you're buying new/nearly new, you get 3 years manufacturer warranty anyway, and can always consider an extended warranty if you need extra peace of mind, irrespective of whichever make you eventually go for.

If reliability really is your No 1 priority, then perhaps you might want to do further research into other brands, eg:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/guides/most-reliable-car-brands/

• Like 1

Do any of the wet belt models have cylinder deactivation? I believe that function requires mechanical changes to the valve system. Therefore models with cylinder deactivation should come with the new cylinder head (the reversed one) and thus also with the timing chain instead of the wet belt. Amirite?

28 minutes ago, Don MC said:

Do any of the wet belt models have cylinder deactivation?

I believe not. I also believe cylinder deactivation has gone

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

I believe not. I also believe cylinder deactivation has gone

My understanding is that it was only on the revised (chain cam) engines and part of the reason for the switch to chain was the extra loads imposed by the cylinder deactivation system. There's a very informative post on the subject by Wilco ( @JW1982) somewhere on here.

It appears from posts on the Focus forum that they seem to have dropped it from the Mk 4.5 facelift.

I have a 155hp mhev and I really do like the engine (too soon to see how reliable it will be but I’m changing my oil every 6k miles just to help it along lol) there is a nice amount of power produced but the mpg will not be anything compared to a proper hybrid (Yaris hybrid or a Suzuki ignis hybrid will both offer significantly better fuel economy- but both those cars are dull by comparison). My brother has a 1.1 with 85hp and it has not given any trouble for him and he has had it since new from 2017.

Id say go for it 👍👍

As said in a few other posts we have a 140bhp Fiesta along with a 155bhp mhev fiesta.

The 155 mhev is head and shoulders above the standard 140. Acceleration,  emgine sound, seemingly handles much better, sound system....

Will have the 140 until end of the week as the Puma ST has finally arrived that was ordered April 2022. 

2nd hand price of Fiesta had increased greatly since last April and with extra equity in the Fiesta, keeping new ST payments the same we walked away gobsmacked with a lot of cash from the dealership.

Will still have the 155 for a few more months then the Mrs will move over to the Puma also.

Happy days.

On 2/16/2023 at 12:17 AM, marduk said:

Been doing some research as I'm considering getting a new Fiesta (probably ST-line X). I've looked for feedback on the mild hybrid options and seen some mixed opinions. Some didn't like the way it felt, but others thought it was decent. Most of the stuff I was able to find was from a while ago though, so I was hoping for some updated opinions on whether it's worth getting at the moment?

I've read that the 1.1 engine has more issues, so the 1.0 is a better choice. Is the hybrid option worth it though? The cost difference isn't that great, so from an economical perspective, it will probably pay for itself. Is it reliable long-term though, or are there known issues that might make it best avoided? 

Any input would be welcome. Thanks!

Don’t waste your money on a ‘mild’ Hybrid.Just get a full hybrid like a Honda or Toyota, they are the best in the business.Ultra reliable.Would not not touch a Ford MHEV.I can guarantee you won’t look back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hackney said:

Don’t waste your money on a ‘mild’ Hybrid.Just get a full hybrid like a Honda or Toyota, they are the best in the business.Ultra reliable.Would not not touch a Ford MHEV.I can guarantee you won’t look back.

I agree . 

1 hour ago, Hackney said:

Or just go electric if your pockets are deep. 

I will get my coat. 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club