Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Drain On Fiesta. Anyone Else Had Same Issue?

Calsgal

An update.

Get my car back tomorrow. Apparently it had a "smart battery charger" (I disagree with it being smart) and because I only do short journeys it kept draining. They have replaced it with one designed for cars with the stop/start function and now there's absolutely no drain showing. Question is will this sort it? Watch this space! If not I'm following the you tube guy and finding the fault myself!

I haven't measured my drain but when it starts to get frosty there are 2 circular places (low and central) on the windscreen that are last to go frosty. Heat must be coming from somewhere and this is hours after last use, but, it starts ok 3 or 4 days later. I always disable stop/start so maybe the battery is a smidge more charged and can handle it?

I hope that they have in fact fixed your Fiesta, Lisa. But I have to say that this 'smart charger' story sounds a bit far fetched. It is true that short journeys are a problem for the system in that there is insufficient time for the charging system to replenish what is taken out of the battery each time the car is started. But............. Has anyone else out there heard of this 'smart charger'?

So. The burning question here is: What is the problem? Is it:

1. That the charging system is not able to put back what is taken out by the acts of starting the car?

or 2. That there is a parasitic loss from the battery when the car is standing unused?

There will be different solutions for these two conditions.

Good luck Lisa.

Bryan

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I purchased a Fiesta Titanium 2015 last week and was told that I couldn't test drive it as it had a battery drainage problem. I test drove a Fiesta with a similar spec.  They said they would replace the battery and get back to me when it was ready. A week later and it is still not ready. Reading this forum I think I'm beginning to regret my purchase. ☹

I have a similar issue with my Fiesta 1.0 eco titanium 2013.   Once a week I do a long journey and at the end of it the stop / start system works.   The following morning it doesn't work as something has drained the battery.   It has never got to the point where the car won't start as I use it every day.

The original efb battery fitted to the fiesta takes longer to charge than an agm battery since the original 60 ah efb battery spuded it's guts up I replaced with a 75 ah agm and despite doing mostly short journey's and having a parking mode dashcam stop/start works almost faultlessly.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

My wife has a 2011 Fiesta Zetec Automatic which has periodically had an inexplicably flat battery. We have had s new alternator fitted by Ford and a replacement battery 11 months ago. I am now sitting in a car park in Sandbach with a flat battery having driven here and had the radio on for twenty minutes. Any ideas???

• 6 months later...

battery went flat .... jumped it no problem....went flat again could be through lack of use ... put a new battery in it....fine for a day or two but then went flat again ....won’t turn over on the key ... dash lights on ... take the key out and there’s a clicking behind the dash 

an 09 1400 fiesta ..... help ... anyone .... thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have fiesta titaniam 02 plate. Presently my battery keeps dying .so I've put new battery on and replaced the autonator after a week or 2 my car is dead as a door nail. Dont know what's wrong .. any answers pls.

My car kept going flat wouldnt start so change autonator and brought new battery recently. But 2 wks later my car is dead again.

• 3 months later...

I am having the battery drain issue with my 2017 Ford Fiesta purchased as a Certified pre-owned vehicle. It has 24,300 miles on it and had 5K miles on it when I bought it from what I now know is a shady dealership called Downtown Ford in Sacramento, CA. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if that dealership knew of this issue in June, 2018 when I purchased the car. I just spent $183 on a brand new battery before leaving for a 3 week trip and when I came back, the battery was dead.  I just had a lengthy conversation on Facebook Messenger with Ford Motor Company and of course, the diagnostic for this seemingly widespread issue is not covered under my warranty. I will now have to take my car to the dealership, leave it for at least a day and pay a minimum of $175 to have them diagnose it. Reading the comments from other people, I already suspect they will just put me on an endless cycle of battery replacements and do nothing to fix the problem. I am going to discuss this issue with the Bureau of Automotive Repair and see what they have to say, since we all know, FORD won't do anything to fix the issue unless they are forced to. This is my first and last Ford, I should have known better than to buy American. 

• 4 months later...

Yeah I'm a bit late but getting the same issue. Car still new

I've got a 14 plate Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0.

I am having a similar battery drain issue.

After I leave my car for about an hour, my sync screen is turning on every minute or so for a few seconds which looks to be the cause of the battery drain. I've pulled some fuses and this looks to back it up.

Fuse 23 - Front Control Interface Module Fuse 21 - Audio Control Module

Before I pull these fuses it drops to about 200mA and rises to 650mA when the screen intermittently turns on. When I remove these 2 it drops to about 110mA so still pretty high but I'm not sure what else it could be?? 

Any ideas what I could do? 

• 1 month later...

I have a fiesta 2009 zetec which has within a few months had a new battery.  Last 2 days car completely dead, jump started and seemed ok. The next day dead as a door nail again so briefly  jumped it again. Now today it’s again dead. 😞 The battery is fine and doesn’t need much to get started again.  

Weirdly after its switched off and locked, after a while all the interior lights come on again - I don’t know how many times this has happened - my brother saw it when he came round one evening all lit up. So I went and clicked the key to lock it again. The lights went off. But it keeps happening, it did it yesterday too.  Any ideas what I can do?

If interior lights are coming on, it might be because you have an intermittent "Door Open" alarm ?

Do you get any of these ?

• 2 months later...

I’m having the same issue, new alternator and battery, go to start the car and it’s dead just keeps clicking, does anyone know the reason behind these issues, it’s a 2008 zetec 

• 11 months later...

I am having the same issue, mine is fiesta titanium 58 reg, bought it 2018, has battery drainage if left parked for 2 to 3 days. Had 3 new batteries before realising there was a problem. When I start it with my boost pack (life saver), sometimes the boot automatically opens, sometimes I get a message about brakes and sometimes the air con and blowers come on and I know they were off prior. I've made it a habit to make sure all is switched off when I have parked up, my boot light is disconnected, I'm at a loss. I saw in a previous post that someone mentioned a software update, I think I might ask my garage about that, other than that does anyone have any other ideas?

Sounds like you have a parasitic current draw. They can be a nightmare to track down and then when you do find the cause they can sometimes be costly to fix.

Unless you fancy tackling this yourself, you need to find a good Auto Electrician, or an Electrical Technician to find the fault.

If it takes two or three days before the battery is run down to the point it won't start then the drain is not massive. You need to first establish what the quiescent current is when the car is locked up and been standing for at least 30 minutes.

• Like 1

Have you got a good battery charger ?

It needs to be a 'smart' charger and can you leave the battery on the car while it is getting charged ?

The Maypole smart charger is a good charger at a sensible price if you need info @StephenFord will give you model number etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Sounds like you have a parasitic current draw. They can be a nightmare to track down and then when you do find the cause they can sometimes be costly to fix.

Unless you fancy tackling this yourself, you need to find a good Auto Electrician, or an Electrical Technician to find the fault.

If it takes two or three days before the battery is run down to the point it won't start then the drain is not massive. You need to first establish what the quiescent current is when the car is locked up and been standing for at least 30 minutes.

Thanks for the info, I'll certainly look into that, it's just so frustrating that I can't leave it standing for days, I feel like I have to make journeys I wouldn't necessarily do to keep it charged, like if I'm on a few days annual leave.

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Have you got a good battery charger ?

It needs to be a 'smart' charger and can you leave the battery on the car while it is getting charged ?

The Maypole smart charger is a good charger at a sensible price if you need info @StephenFord will give you model number etc.

I don't have a battery charger as such, I have a Noco booster pack which has been worth it's weight in gold, I may well look into battery chargers if I can't get it sorted so I will keep that in mind, many thanks.

• Like 1

I Have a 2 year old fiesta mhev which after 3 days the battery went flat 2.2 volts charged over night to full capacity .Took it to main dealer no faults found battery fine asked me to monitor the car.

1 minute ago, Siderome said:

after 3 days the battery went flat 2.2 volts charged over night to full capacity

You are very lucky that the battery was able to be charged for such a low voltage. It must have been a heavy current draw to flatten the battery by that amount.

19 minutes ago, unofix said:

You are very lucky that the battery was able to be charged for such a low voltage. It must have been a heavy current draw to flatten the battery by that amount.

Thats what i thought but cannot work out whats happend.

Well in the good old days I'd have said you left your headlights on, but that's not even possible on new cars now.

Seems likely the car never fully entered sleep mode, possibly a door not fully closed or the infotainment system not completely switching off.

All you can do is watch and wait !!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club