Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

Learning curves -- daughter just bought a 2008 Quashqai 2.0, "DIESEL" I can feel my brain hurting already. Tho TBF she got a cracking deal. Needs a damn good blast as the DPF needs a  regen.

27 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

bought a 2008 Quashqai 2.0, "DIESEL"

Good Luck 🤣

• Haha 2

I don't like the current fad for programme-makers to put up to 2 or more minutes of identical preamble before the start of each episode of a programme.

I also find the trailers BBC puts between programmes particularly irritating. Virtually all of it is stuff of no interest to me and with digital EPG, onlne and paper versions of Radio Times I already have all the information I need. It's a total waste of time.

• Like 3

then they run a catchup when you come back from a break, so in reality 10 mins of actual programme footage

• Like 1

With commercials it's got to the point where the programme material is very little more than half the total running time. Thank heavens for PVRs and the ability to skip the junk.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mjt said:

With commercials it's got to the point where the programme material is very little more than half the total running time. Thank heavens for PVRs and the ability to skip the junk.

Sometimes when streaming an ITVx show, I find you're locked into watching ads as it doesn't allow you to FF them 😕

• Like 3

That's one reason I don't like streaming.  No option to quickly flick to another station during the ad breaks.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Sometimes when streaming an ITVx show, I find you're locked into watching ads as it doesn't allow you to FF them

Tht's pretty much true of all streaming channels. Occasionally I find one that skips the ads during the programme but it's very rare.

1 hour ago, mjt said:

Tht's pretty much true of all streaming channels. Occasionally I find one that skips the ads during the programme but it's very rare.

Hard to see why folk are so easily conned into thinking 'streaming' is the future, especially with the roll out of Sky Glass & Stream! Anyone that has ever had their broadband go down, will know how fragile a technology it truly is, to do without the internet for a bit is stressful enough, but no TV as well??

Also, I get much pleasure from recording 'series link' on a hard drive, as I sometimes just flick through my planner to see shows I'd totally forgotten about all ready for me to view instantly.

Still, there are some that are drinking the government KoolAid on getting EVs LOL so have no real conception what 'new' technology is like to actually live with...

Exactly. I use series record and generally only use streaming for things I've forgotten to record.

• Like 1

or download the boxset if available

I don't like that Mrs B has been away for a few days with a friend and come back with Covid!

Exactly the same happened 2 years ago - same friend - she must be a carrier!😠

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I don't like that Mrs B has been away for a few days with a friend and come back with Covid!

Exactly the same happened 2 years ago - same friend - she must be a carrier!😠

Does the friend test +ve for Covid when she passes it on to your wife?

It's my 40th birthday today and unfortunately I'm not celebrating for a few reasons. 

Firstly, on Friday I got told that I couldn't go to a place I love being at (I can't go into reasons why). 
Secondly, this morning I got a message that a family member had been rushed into hospital by ambulance with a suspected stroke. 
It may not be a stroke but an infection somewhere which has caused the issues. 

14 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Does the friend test +ve for Covid when she passes it on to your wife?

Not last time, but she's off to get some test kits this morning so she'll no doubt let us know.

Can't really say she's the cause, might be just an odd coincidence.😀

14 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not last time, but she's off to get some test kits this morning so she'll no doubt let us know.

That's a shame she has to go off and buy kits. When the government were kindly giving the kits out FREE of charge (!), I ordered virtually one box/week so have a cupboard full, expiry date still another 2 x years.  I've even seen them now in charity shops for 50p. The amount squandered on Covid which runs in eye watering £Billions, is for another thread!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

That's a shame she has to go off and buy kits

I've just been to the chemist to get some more kits, as the Mrs used the last one. That was part of a pack that she had been sent, out of the blue, by the NHS a while back.

Mrs B is considered "vulnerable" due to the immune-suppressant effect of some of her meds. Our  pharmacist, who is very good, spent ages checking to see if she could issue a pack FOC but couldn't find anything.  Coincidentally the Mrs got an email from the NHS on Friday saying she was eligible for a Covid booster jab.

So it seems the criteria for an extra jab may differ from those for free Covid tests. According to the NHS website, free tests are only available to those  receiving treatment for Covid, or to healthcare staff.

As ever, all a bit confusing.

After having driven a number of EV cars I had been warming to them....

Today that has evaporated. Currently have a 72 plate MG Z EV sat in a refuge area on the M4. 

Started with a 40%  charge, battery low warning after less than 50 miles, quickly followed by a charge now warning and then a warning to find a safe place to pull in. All in the space of 10 miles. Car won't move but electrical items all working.

Coasted into a refuge area with lorries taking last gasp avoiding action behind me!

Awaiting recovery.

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, RayC333 said:

After having driven a number of EV cars I had been warming to them....

I see what you did there 😉🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, RayC333 said:

Currently have a 72 plate MG Z EV

Well, if you will buy Chinese tat on your own head be it. 🤣

• Haha 2

Mine does what it says on the tin.  Or I'm going to get an ear bending later  as my partner and daughter were  up north in my car 120 miles away. And I can see she been speeding again!! 

Screenshot_20240424-185808.png

On 4/22/2024 at 3:14 PM, RayC333 said:

Started with a 40%  charge, battery low warning after less than 50 miles, quickly followed by a charge now warning and then a warning to find a safe place to pull in. All in the space of 10 miles.

That does not surprise me one iota! All the battery charge estimation systems I have had experience of, are based on the specifications of new, fault free, batteries. battery cells age in various ways: Leakage current, internal impedance, total charge capacity, these all change with age in a rather random way. Most charge indicators on older or well used batteries tend to indicate high charge for a while, then fall through the rest of the charge range very quickly. I doubt if the fancy software on these EVs is any better. I doubt they will try testing it on older cells.

As someone who buys older cars and drives them until they die, this is a big disadvantage to me. I have zero confidence or enthusiasm for a 2nd hand EV - Who would!

Does an EV actually have a 2nd hand value?

If they are scrapped after 5 to 10 years, any environmental advantage is more than wiped out. Especially as most of the charge comes from fossil fuel in the UK, unless only charged by smart charger or timer overnight.

• Like 3

On 4/24/2024 at 5:21 PM, mjt said:

Well, if you will buy Chinese tat on your own head be it. 🤣

It wasn't my car, I was simply delivering it. Fortunately I lived to tell the tale.

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2024 at 7:03 PM, iantt said:

Mine does what it says on the tin.  Or I'm going to get an ear bending later  as my partner and daughter were  up north in my car 120 miles away. And I can see she been speeding again!! 

Screenshot_20240424-185808.png

The MG didn't seem to have range and actual percentage as a viewable display (like most I've driven). Just a simple gauge that looked like a typical non-EV one.

IMG_20240422_141854876.jpg

IMG_20240422_141856662.jpg

IMG_20240422_152616974.jpg

12 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

As someone who buys older cars and drives them until they die, this is a big disadvantage to me. I have zero confidence or enthusiasm for a 2nd hand EV - Who would!

Certainly not me! I hope the person who bought the MG rejects it and gets their money back.  I noticed there were signs that the car had been used for private hire. If i owned the car I would only be able to trust it for short/local journeys.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club