Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

I don't like spending the past four hours in A&E after hitting a patch of black ice on the drive to work this morning. The Mercedes is a complete write-off, but thankfully I escaped with only minor injuries. I'm just grateful no other cars were involved.

The paramedic took a picture of the car and sent it to my phone (which thankfully was retrieved alongside my wallet), and it really is quite a state. Frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised if somebody had died looking at the front end. God was on my side today, that's for sure.

As the temperatures were above zero it never occurred to me that there may be black ice, but that's what happens when you assume. Just be careful if you are traveling on country roads when it has been freezing overnight, even if you are familiar with the road (as I was).

V__F775.jpg

• Like 1

Having texted a link to this thread to my colleague this morning who deals with our HR, she too, say it's a week.

So far, the Vauxhall manager is all alone, like a lost sock in the wash, in their interpretation of the contract as a months notice: everyone else says it's a week.

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It is poorly worded tbh, I'd say you could argue for either!!  :blink:  I mean you did sign something that simply states 1 month notice without any other information. :mellow:

Also, you're not allowed to put kettles in the general refuse bin, it needs to be disposed of at waste facility that deals with WEEE recycling, it'll even have a picture of a dustbin crossed out on it! :ohmy: :tongue:

I thought that was the case, but some councils do have co-mingling bin policy that others don't with some waste.  It gets sorted and separated by their processor later.. Worcestershire may be one that co-mingles WEEE with general waste, at the point of collection

Poole Borough Council accepts laminated Tetra cartons and laminated paper in the recycling bin, they seem to be alone on that. All the other neighbouring councils state it's a general non-recyclable waste.  This year, they also started accepting PS food cartons and trays, included the blended ones!  A minority of councils accept PS but hardly anyone wants the blends, as they're hard to process

5 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I don't like spending the past four hours in A&E after hitting a patch of black ice on the drive to work this morning. The Mercedes is a complete write-off, but thankfully I escaped with only minor injuries. I'm just grateful no other cars were involved.

The paramedic took a picture of the car and sent it to my phone (which thankfully was retrieved alongside my wallet), and it really is quite a state. Frankly, I wouldn't have been surprised if somebody had died looking at the front end. God was on my side today, that's for sure.

As the temperatures were above zero it never occurred to me that there may be black ice, but that's what happens when you assume. Just be careful if you are traveling on country roads when it has been freezing overnight, even if you are familiar with the road (as I was).

V__F775.jpg

That is most unfortunate.:sad:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

V__F775.jpg

Ouch, glad to hear you're okay.

Damage to the car made me think it was much more serious. Did you end up in it on its side, or was it moved like that after?

• Like 1

Glad your okay Murray. Car is replaceable but not a human life.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Blimey, sorry to hear that Jamie. Glad you're OK. 

At least you had a strong old Merc protecting you, the 405 might not have stood up so well, and I know you would be even more gutted if that was written off. Stay positive. :smile:

• Like 1

The paramedic should work on his photography skills tbh lol.  

But seriously, glad you're alright Jamie!! :smile:  

• Like 1

I don't like the lack of Chelsea buns in either of the localish Sainsburys today.  It's my Nan's bday and they're her favourite, I couldn't get any this time last year either which is weird. :sad:

3 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

V__F775.jpg

I think that might need a bit more than Dentman and T-Cut!:whistling1:

Put the lotto on mate, your luck is clearly in today! Im amazed you walked away from that. I bet it shook you up good style. Glad youre ok. Good job you were in a tank rather than a Ford! Whats this forum again?:laugh:

wtf!!! that was a lucky escape, when you said about parking the merc up off road due to mot running out, i wasnt expecting that. i would cancel the mot booking though. glad to here your ok.

• Like 9

glad to here you are OK god that's a mess

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iantt said:

wtf!!! that was a lucky escape, when you said about parking the merc up off road due to mot running out, i wasnt expecting that. i would cancel the mot booking though. glad to here your ok.

Yeah, I think I will.  It probably wouldn't have passed before, and certainly won't now!!

Thanks all for the messages (even the sarcasm from Wes! :wink:), just home now after spending 6 hours in hospital...  Extended throughout the afternoon due to them thinking I might have damaged my kidneys somehow.  Thankfully a CT scan proved negative and although they wanted to keep me in overnight for observation, that wasn't happening!!  What I need is a cup of tea and my own bed. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

Thanks all for the messages (even the sarcasm from Wes! :wink:), just home now after spending 6 hours in hospital...  Extended throughout the afternoon due to them thinking I might have damaged my kidneys somehow.  Thankfully a CT scan proved negative and although they wanted to keep me in overnight for observation, that wasn't happening!!  What I need is a cup of tea and my own bed. 

cant beat your own bed and tea :smile:

• Like 1

What's happening to the car now?  I hope they're recovering it and leaving it outside your neighbours for the insurance assessor.... :laugh:

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What's happening to the car now?  I hope they're recovering it and leaving it outside your neighbours for the insurance assessor.... :laugh:

Will it still need an MOT for that?:whistling1:

Oops, wrong thread!:laugh:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, iantt said:

when you said about parking the merc up off road due to mot running out, i wasnt expecting that. i would cancel the mot booking though.

Yeah, me too. I cant see it passing with that cracked windscreen!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WES180 said:

Yeah, me too. I cant see it passing with that cracked windscreen!

Perhaps I should call Autoglass...  I'm sure their chip repair would work on that, it is only a small area of damage!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ha, yes that would be good!  It isn't even worth going through insurance to be honest, I'll see if a local scrap yard can collect it and perhaps give me £50 or something, like they did with the Fiesta (not the old Ghia, but the newer silver model that I planned on fixing up but never did).  I could probably get £300 from the insurance, but then would have to pay £500+ more next year for having a claim, just not worth it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Perhaps I should call Autoglass...  I'm sure their chip repair would work on that, it is only a small area of damage!

Ha ha. Youve got to laugh mate. Youve had one hell of an escape there!

Just now, WES180 said:

Ha ha. Youve got to laugh mate. Youve had one hell of an escape there!

I know.  It's a "if you didn't laugh you'd cry" situation, I think!!

• Like 1

Just seen you post here Jamie (after my post in the MOT thread). Glad you're ok!!

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

Ha, yes that would be good!  It isn't even worth going through insurance to be honest, I'll see if a local scrap yard can collect it and perhaps give me £50 or something, like they did with the Fiesta (not the old Ghia, but the newer silver model that I planned on fixing up but never did).  I could probably get £300 from the insurance, but then would have to pay £500+ more next year for having a claim, just not worth it.

But don't you have to notify them that you've been involved in an at fault accident even if you're not planning to claim?

Good to hear your OK Jamie,  but in the nicest possible way learn a big lesson from that.

Looking at the damage it looks very severe, so the bottom line is you we're driving too fast for the conditions, never assume anything when driving. It could have been a lot worse thankfully.

Although even if not making a claim you should inform the insurance company as you can't insure a car you don't own anymore and for that you will also lose and no claims bonus unless you can transfer it to another car.

Always expect the unexpected. Driving is a skill and even those of us who have been driving for a long time can be caught out if we let out guard down even just once.

8 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

V__F775.jpg

Looks like your trackings out a bit as well :wink:

Seriously though, glad you're OK. As said before, cars can be replaced, bodies can't. 

Ice can lie on roads for a while after temps have risen above freezing. Patches that don't get the sun etc Even worse if the road hasn't been gritted or if it has the salt hasn't had time, or the traffic, to clear it. Learn by your mistakes and move on. Any driver who tells you they haven't had a self-inflicted brown-trouser moment is lying :wink:

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club