Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

11 hours ago, unofix said:

It is not a legal requirement to insure any motor vehicle kept or used solely on private land, including your private drive. You have by law to keep a motor vehicle either taxed at all times OR declare it SORN. It must be one or the other. [except the motor trade]

If keeping a motor vehicle on private land and not taxing it, then you must declare a 'Statuary Off Road Notice. As the name suggests you are declaring that the vehicle is off road, not that you are not using it on private land.

Insurance (quick hello to Dan) is a personal thing. You can still insure a vehicle that you have declared SORN, as indeed i have done with my motorbike.

That still doesn't answer my question I'm afraid... :unsure:  Can I legally leave the vehicle taxed while not insured?  Or does it HAVE to be declared SORN once uninsured now? 

13 hours ago, Wino said:

Trade plates are for the garage to be able to move a vehicle in their possession (driving it) without it being taxed tested and insured.

Thanks, that's answered one question then! :smile: 

However, since posting last night I've also seen this below - it's made me wonder if an MOT fail has made the vehicle 'unroadworthy' until repaired and therefore against their trade insurance requirements?

Trade plates cannot be used on unroadworthy vehicles. All vehicles must be covered by insurance and have a valid MoT in place, unless they are exempt from MoT requirements. All unroadworthy vehicles must be transported.

35 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That still doesn't answer my question I'm afraid... :unsure:  Can I legally leave the vehicle taxed while not insured?  Or does it HAVE to be declared SORN once uninsured now? 

Yes you can 100% leave your vechicle taxed and NOT insured provided it is kept on private land.

You can not keep any uninsured motor vehicle on a public road or public car park at anytime whether it is taxed, not taxed or even SORN. The law states that a motor vehicle kept or used on a public highway must be insured at all times.

Top Tip. If you ever make a declaration of SORN for a motor vehicle, Always date it for the 1st day of the next month no matter when it is that you stop using it. Remember that the current road tax on that vechicle will run until the end of current month.

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks, that's answered one question then! :smile: 

However, since posting last night I've also seen this below - it's made me wonder if an MOT fail has made the vehicle 'unroadworthy' until repaired and therefore against their trade insurance requirements?

Trade plates cannot be used on unroadworthy vehicles. All vehicles must be covered by insurance and have a valid MoT in place, unless they are exempt from MoT requirements. All unroadworthy vehicles must be transported.

That's why it should go on a trailer. Then it should be covered by the garage itself.

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Yes you can 100% leave your vechicle taxed and NOT insured provided it is kept on private land.

I still can't find any solid proof of this.  It's the 'new' law about continuous insurance enforcement that seems to require either both insurance & tax on the road, or no insurance & SORN if parked off road.  The DVLA must be checking for taxed vehicles that are also insured?  If they were just checking registered keepers addresses, they'd have no idea which ones were parked off the road...

9. How continuous insurance enforcement (CIE) offences are identified

The DVLA vehicle register is checked regularly against the Motor Insurance Database (MID) which is managed by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) to identify uninsured vehicles.

ALL cars must now have continuous insurance – or be declared off-road under the Continuous Insurance Enforcement law, which became live on 20 June 2011.

The law applies to you whether you run your car privately for business as a sole trader, or if you are an SME director or business owner with a small fleet of company cars. It will now be an offence to be the keeper of an uninsured vehicle, rather than just to drive when uninsured.

It is up to the registered keeper of the vehicle to let the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) know that the car is off-road by filling in a Statutory Off Road Notice (SORN).

49 minutes ago, Wino said:

That's why it should go on a trailer. Then it should be covered by the garage itself.

It's barely worth the repair costs at garage prices, definitely not worth the cost of recovery as well.  But yes, it does look like that's what they're trying to enforce.

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

or no insurance & SORN if parked off road. 

It does not mean you can not insure a vehicle if it is not taxed (you can not tax a vehicle unless it is insured). There will be many on these forums who like myself declare their motorbike SORN during the winter but still keep it fully insured, as is my legal right to do so. I would be very annoyed if I wasn't allowed to keep it insured and it was stolen or the garage burnt down with the motorbike in it.

It has always been the case that you could never keep an un-taxed and/or  un-insured vehicle on a public highway.

The new law is simply saying that if you stop insuring your vehicle then you must declare it SORN, and therefore by default it's road tax will also end.

Just sorned my bike and leaving it insured. Weather still not ideal to be riding.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, unofix said:

The new law is simply saying that if you stop insuring your vehicle then you must declare it SORN, and therefore by default it's road tax will also end.

3 hours ago, unofix said:

That is literally the answer to the question I've been asking all day!!  :laugh:  So the answer is NO, I can't leave an uninsured car taxed while off the road...

• Haha 1

Well we got to the answer in the end 😀

I must admit I never really could see the point in keeping a vehicle taxed while on private land but I know many farmers used to do just that. I assume it was mostly for convenience of just being able to make a quick call to the insurance company if one day they needed to take a vehicle out on to a public road.

I guess now with being able to do everything almost instantaneously online, then taxing and insuring a vehicle is easier than a trip to the local post office.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well we got to the answer in the end 😀

I must admit I never really could see the point in keeping a vehicle taxed while on private land but I know many farmers used to do just that. I assume it was mostly for convenience of just being able to make a quick call to the insurance company if one day they needed to take a vehicle out on to a public road.

I guess now with being able to do everything almost instantaneously online, then taxing and insuring a vehicle is easier than a trip to the local post office.

Yeah, as I say, insurance is an easy swap for me either online or in the app and no admin fees with my insurer.  But, for example, if I wanted to use the car on Feb 26th (for a prospective buyers test drive perhaps), I'd lose 25 days worth of that months tax by taxing it online.  If tax was done daily like insurance then I wouldn't be considering it.

Admittedly in this case it's a £30 p/a car so no real loss...but have previously done it with things like the ST150 & GTi6 which were over £200 a year iirc.  I have a private car park in a fairly safe area so not worried about theft of sub £2k cars.

• Like 1

Just spoken with 'those in the know'

They tell me the continuous insurance rule or you declare SORN is because thousands of people buy vehicles which are really cheap to tax, but for many reasons expensive to insure. So what has been happening is people take out insurance on a pay monthly plan, then tax the car for a whole year, then they cancel the insurance.

If the police do a quick check it would show the vehicle is taxed. Under the new system if you cancel the insurance then you have to make the vehicle SORN, which as I said earlier ends the road tax by default, or at least it will end on the last day of that month.

Then they don't "know" much as ANPR and PNC checks will instantly show if taxed, tested and insured not just one or two of them.

The Motor Insurance Bureau also continuously monitors the Motor Insurance Database and compares against DVLA records for vehicles showing as taxed but uninsured and starts issuing automatic letters, followed by fines, clamping's, seizure orders etc.

Certainly didn't like the surprise this afternoon of my shift pattern.....normal shifts are Thursday to Sunday and I requested to change the Sunday for a Wednesday so I would be working Wednesday to Saturday and the dozy idiots have now tried to put me on a Sunday to Wednesday shift....you couldn't make it up. Spent my 30 minute afternoon break sorting it out between HR and manager ( not my actual manager on Sunday) :mad:

• Sad 1

Damn puppy managed to get my reading glasses off the table this morning without me knowing. Found a smal bit that was missing but the rest in its stomach I guess!! 

Lens had fallen out but I superglued it in temp. 

Up to 2weeks for a replacement pair. 

16442547225566374701373038667468.jpg

• Sad 3

55 minutes ago, iantt said:

Damn puppy managed to get my reading glasses off the table this morning without me knowing. Found a smal bit that was missing but the rest in its stomach I guess!! 

Lens had fallen out but I superglued it in temp. 

Up to 2weeks for a replacement pair. 

16442547225566374701373038667468.jpg

Might be an idea to keep a close eye on your puppies toileting habits.  The missing part of the glasses could get lodged internally so make sure you know it's doing it's 💩

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

We will be keeping an EYE for it

Friend of ours got a medium sized dog who wasnt well for quite a while. Vets said just an intestine infection.  Didn't get any better until half a rubber ball came out!!  The dog stopped playing with rubber balls 6 months previously!!! 

Bit more rubber ball came out then dog got better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Today's energy consumption so far. Just  another 5 1/2 hours left to get to £15+ 

Screenshot_20220207-184156.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Today's energy consumption so far. Just  another 5 1/2 hours left to get to £15+ 

Screenshot_20220207-184156.png

Is this your heating tool?

1 minute ago, Alexis94040 said:

Is this your heating tool?

Heating tool? 

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Heating tool? 

Yes for heating the house, i dont know how to ask in English. 

The photo is the smart meter we have in the UK to monitor energy use in the home. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, iantt said:

£15/day, that's £5.5K/year!! You live in a big house then??

Just now, StephenFord said:

£15/day, that's £5.5K/year!! You live in a big house then??

Was just thinking the same, it won't help having the house temperature at 22 degrees !!

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Was just thinking the same, it won't help having the house temperature at 22 degrees !!

Agreed, 18-20 degrees is the optimum range

6 minutes ago, ScouseJon99 said:

Agreed, 18-20 degrees is the optimum range

15 -18 max here. Don't like it too warm indoors.

Only the living room is at 22c, rest of rooms vary 16-18c. 

Just a 4 bed house. 

£15 is only a snapshot for today only . Normally it's £7-8

I'd be gutted if it was £15 a day. 😂😂😂😂

Got a cold hot tub warming the 1200litres of  water up from 6c to 37.5c. tub was serviced today and water drained/cleaned and refill. 😂😂 

Thought it might provoke a few replies😂😂

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club