Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX
聽Share

1 minute ago, Turvey said:

Just takes you back to the main page 馃榾

And then I've got to scroll 'all' the way to the bottom of the page! 馃

It's no big hardship, just don't know why they've basically split the general chat into two? 馃し

Oh you mean the clubhouse? I thought you meant you were using the Forums link in the footer.聽

I do not like the way all channels synchronise their commercial breaks. Today, at 4.28pm 'Dave' took an ad break. I've zero tolerance for ads so pressed the 'channel up' button on the remote to find 24 consecutive channels were all showing ads, till the advancement of time meant programs started again, just infuriating!

No wonder most of my viewing is done on my 'recordings' where you can FF x 30 an ad break in seconds...

• Like 2

I don't like someone having a go at me in the comments section on one of my railway videos on YouTube because I pointed out someone was hanging out of the coach window when the train departed the station.聽
I'm a volunteer there and am safety trained and we are told not to let people do that because of the risks associated with older slam door stock.聽

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nick Y said:

...I'm a volunteer there and am safety trained and we are told not to let people do that because of the risks associated with older slam door stock.聽

In my teenage years, I spent many a weekend sanding down old steam trains as part of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland. I must confess that it was a joy hanging out the slip down window to get a good blast of steam/smoke in your face on rare outings. Health & safety hadn't been invented in the 1970s, but I do know where you're coming from...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I don't like someone having a go at me in the comments section on one of my railway videos on YouTube because I pointed out someone was hanging out of the coach window when the train departed the station.聽

You're only following the rules you have to work with, Nick, so I wouldn't let it get to you.

I remember back in the late 80's when you found the "Peak army" and other railfans would invade any train with slam doors being hauled by "classic" traction and hang out of every possible opening! Good job you didn't have to deal with them!馃榾

• Like 1

I don鈥檛 know if you are old enough to have traveled on these carriages when they were in daily use, but I used to regularly travel rush hour into london, don鈥檛 worry about people hanging out of windows every couple of days you would see 聽someone take a tumble as the train with nearly all doors open and people standing on the steps waiting to launch themselves off the train whilst still travelling at a speed faster than they could run to get through the barriers before the cues began, also people try to open the doors and get on whilst running flat out down the platform.

let them stick their heads out and remind them what happened to Vivian in the young ones

Thanks chaps. Luckily people with their heads out doesn't happen often.
Whilst I understand it can be fun to do it, accidents can and do happen on heritage lines. Unfortunately it's then the heritage railway that suffers. This is why a lot of railways now discourage the behaviour and why we are told not to let it happen.
I am not old enough to remember slam door stock on mainlines (apart from the HSTs) and even then, I only travelled on then from around 2000 - 2006.聽

I didn't like seeing my daughters car being recovered from a motorway slip road, police in attendance.

It was a coincidence I was there passing in another car; was a horrible shock

Fortunately it wasn't a crash and both daughter and granddaughter are ok.

• Like 4

In my earliest years my family used to holiday in Blackpool. We boarded the train and entered a nice, comfy compartment with heater controls, light dimmer, window blinds, upholstered velour seats and mirrors with BR logo. The first thing my father did was to fully open the windows - the upper level horizontal kind. This provided welcome air into the fuggy compartment until we enetered a tunnel at high speed when our compartment was suddenly and completely filled with steam and smoke. My father jumped up and closed the windows but that just resulted in our being trapped in a box of smoke when the train exited the tunnel. It cleared quickly once the windows were opened again. Perhaps he should have taken better note of the sign above the window showing two parallel lines and stating "For the avoidence of draughts, please do not open windows beyond these points (or was it limits?)" - a lost world but I remember it well due to the shock we all experienced made more scary by the whistle being sounded on entering the tunnel. Ghost train - scary? not compared to a compartment on a steam train for a small child. Anyone else been scared by a steam train in earlier life?

• Like 3

Oops!!聽

Screenshot_20240207-132844.png

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Don't you just love ignoramic incompetence 馃ぃ馃ぃ

2 hours ago, iantt said:

Oops!!

Wow, that's a classic RS Turbo that van about to drop on! 馃槖

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Wow, that's a classic RS Turbo that van about to drop on! 馃槖

Yep, one of the hydraulic lines burst as he was moving the decks. Must have just missed the safety catch and dropped onto a lower catch. Van is resting on the safety rails on the side you can't see. Been waiting since late morning for a repair. Still there as I left at 4.30pm .聽

• Like 3

Don't like, im trying to find info on sky's website and it's so confusing. Can't seem to find the info I need.聽

Probably get better info on here.聽

• Thanks 1

So any sky TV bods here tell me if my dad can get sky multiroom at his house with sky+ box in living room. He out of hospital but stuck in bed now for some time we guessing and want a TV on wall with sky separate to living room. One big issue may be no internet. They never had internet or laptop/tablet/smart mobile etc.聽

On 2/5/2024 at 4:41 PM, StephenFord said:

I do not like the way all channels synchronise their commercial breaks. Today, at 4.28pm 'Dave' took an ad break. I've zero tolerance for ads so pressed the 'channel up' button on the remote to find 24 consecutive channels were all showing ads, till the advancement of time meant programs started again, just infuriating!

No wonder most of my viewing is done on my 'recordings' where you can FF x 30 an ad break in seconds...

I agree! They all know that everyone probably hates ads and will try to avoid them, and the only way they can push the issue is to synchronise them so you cannot get away to anywhere except the BBC. Some programmes are ruined by ads such as "Abigail's Party" last night which followed a pattern of 15 mins viewing followed by 7 minutes of ads, made worse by the ads being the same each time. The cherry on the top? A typical car ad - featuring a vehicle not to UK spec in LHD accompanied by music and a patronising voiceover using phrases such as "who says..." I usually, subconsciously reply "me". Wasn't there something called "Tivo" in the past which existed to allow the amputation of ads?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Oriskany said:

I agree! ...

In addition, recently YouTube has totally destroyed the viewing experience by playing random ads every 6 minutes or so. I hate bl**dy ads...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In fairness, running a TV station isn't free.聽 Even the ones that just play repeats all day still have to pay for the programs plus pay to run the broadcasting tech etc...聽 Without ad income, the TV licence would have to be in the thousands.聽 TV ads must 'work' otherwise companies wouldn't pay so much for them.

I'm not a fan of them either, but can usually find a few stations out of sync if I'm not using the time for a loo break.聽 I even know the timing & lengths of most breaks on the stations I watch regularly. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

... I even know the timing & lengths of most breaks on the stations I watch regularly. :laugh:

I know this is a bit sad, but I have a permanent 'stopwatch' countdown alarm at my side when watching telly on 5 minutes, when I hit an ad break I just start it, then pop back when the alarm goes... At the very least, I just mute the volume.

• Like 1

5 minutes is too long for a few stations and too short for others.聽 ITV1 breaks can be just 2-3 minutes.聽 Some US programs on E4 can be 8 minutes!聽 4 minutes is most common on the stations I watch.聽 UKTV stations (Dave, Yesterday, Drama, etc) can be around 5 minutes though.

• Like 1

I hate TV and YouTube ads with a passion. Can't do nothing about the YouTube ones but as far as TV goes. I record anything I want to watch then when I play the recording I fast forward the ads. I treat it as a game as to how close I can get to the start of the program after the ads have finished.聽

• Like 2

I press pause at the beginning of a program and do something else for a while. Then I can skip past the first few adverts. Or record and play later/next day while recording again.聽

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tazzman600 said:

Can't do nothing about the YouTube ones

Says who? 馃

Download the Brave browser and YouTube is adfree 馃槈

I've only tried it on my Android phones but I think they have it for Apple products and Windows.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Turvey said:

Download the Brave browser and YouTube is adfree 馃槈

That's odd, this afternoon I watched a 54 minute YouTube (on watch restoration) and not one single ad? (used Chrome, as FireFox in full screen stutters for me...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club