Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HOW TO Retrofit genuine parking sensors to MK3+MK3.5 Focus

Bannko

1 minute ago, trebor4482 said:

KV module?

Keyless entry antenna. I think i have found the loom i need now

Just now, chrissyboyyy said:

Keyless entry antenna. I think i have found the loom i need now

oh cool, if in doubt call up you local ford dealer for part numbers, mine was really helpful!

How far are you looking at taking all this?  e.g. just rear sensors, and front or full auto park 

Just now, trebor4482 said:

oh cool, if in doubt call up you local ford dealer for part numbers, mine was really helpful!

How far are you looking at taking all this?  e.g. just rear sensors, and front or full auto park 

got it all, so gonna go full atuo park.

Now need the front stuff, as i have managed to sort the rear sensors - found some on a bumper in my color for a good price

2 minutes ago, chrissyboyyy said:

got it all, so gonna go full atuo park.

Now need the front stuff, as i have managed to sort the rear sensors - found some on a bumper in my color for a good price

oh nice, has that got all the sensors in it and the front bumper loom?

is your focus mk3 or mk3.5?

Also make sure you have all the connection in the engine bay loom for the bumper loom,(there should be at least 12 wires there) that's where I have fallen short but I am going to run a custom loom from the inside of the car though the fire wall and to the bumper loom to get around it 

Just now, trebor4482 said:

oh nice, has that got all the sensors in it and the front bumper loom?

is your focus mk3 or mk3.5?

Also make sure you have all the connection in the engine bay loom for the bumper loom,(there should be at least 12 wires there) that's where I have fallen short but I am going to run a custom loom from the inside of the car though the fire wall and to the bumper loom to get around it 

Rear bumper i found has the sensors and brackets on it already, still need the loom i'm about to buy as the one on the numper doesn't have the keyless antenna plug.

Front i've not even looked in the engine yet. Gonna get the rear one sorted first.

I've just purchased the active park module.

My focus is a Mk3, and where do i even look for the correct plug? someone said to me passenger side, under the headlight on the foglight loom, should be a plug?

Just now, chrissyboyyy said:

Rear bumper i found has the sensors and brackets on it already, still need the loom i'm about to buy as the one on the numper doesn't have the keyless antenna plug.

Front i've not even looked in the engine yet. Gonna get the rear one sorted first.

I've just purchased the active park module.

My focus is a Mk3, and where do i even look for the correct plug? someone said to me passenger side, under the headlight on the foglight loom, should be a plug?

yes so if you take the passenger head light out and look down  you should see the plug, I have a picture of this a few post back up

6 minutes ago, trebor4482 said:

yes so if you take the passenger head light out and look down  you should see the plug, I have a picture of this a few post back up

not loading, got an X on it lol

12 minutes ago, chrissyboyyy said:

not loading, got an X on it lol

1291969780_bumperwire1.thumb.jpg.1812964bd88b8f9c47feba11cb91b005.jpg

bumper wire 2.jpg

Hope this works

1 minute ago, trebor4482 said:

1291969780_bumperwire1.thumb.jpg.1812964bd88b8f9c47feba11cb91b005.jpg

bumper wire 2.jpg

Hope this works

Yes i see it, i think i have this!

But, it's plugged in to something already?

30 minutes ago, chrissyboyyy said:

Yes i see it, i think i have this!

But, it's plugged in to something already?

all the focus's will have it but it may not have the connections for the front sensors

it'll be plugged in for the fog lights

3 minutes ago, trebor4482 said:

all the focus's will have it but it may not have the connections for the front sensors

it'll be plugged in for the fog lights

Ohh!

Which bit will be the connector for the sensors?

42 minutes ago, chrissyboyyy said:

Ohh!

Which bit will be the connector for the sensors?

pins 1-8 are all the ones for the parking sensors, they are all on one row 

34 minutes ago, trebor4482 said:

pins 1-8 are all the ones for the parking sensors, they are all on one row 

Apologies, im a bit niave with this.. which side of the plug?

24 minutes ago, chrissyboyyy said:

which side of the plug?

This plug is for the fog lights and front parking sensors. It comes from behind your glove box, around under your battery and then to this plug. After the connection it goes down onto your bumper. Hopefully, all the terminals will be taken running from your glove box area. Then it's just a case of buying a front bumper loom and connecting your sensors and fog lights. If you dont have all the terminals taken and maybe 3 of 4 (for the fog lights) then you will have to make up a loom to take you from behind the glove box around to the connection. If this is the case then I would follow @Phil21185 guide.

4 hours ago, Nathan Buffery said:

This plug is for the fog lights and front parking sensors. It comes from behind your glove box, around under your battery and then to this plug. After the connection it goes down onto your bumper. Hopefully, all the terminals will be taken running from your glove box area. Then it's just a case of buying a front bumper loom and connecting your sensors and fog lights. If you dont have all the terminals taken and maybe 3 of 4 (for the fog lights) then you will have to make up a loom to take you from behind the glove box around to the connection. If this is the case then I would follow @Phil21185 guide.

Thank you,

that’s great 

the plug is the same for the fog lights

i've been in the garage today looking at stuff before packing it away and labelling it and i knew i should have taken pictures 😞

one thing i have discovered, as mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread, the sensors at the front are either 29db or 36bd, but when i was assembling the loom this morning to figure out which ones should go where it seems that ford have solved the problem and made them only fit in the plugs they are supposed to as they have little notches

you need 2 36db ones and 4 29db ones

the only thing i'm missing is the bracket for the left hand side sensor, the right hand side one has a part number i coudn't get a picture of but also an R stamped into it so unless i can use the same sensor bracket on both sides, i'm going to need one for the left too

any ideas of part numbers please?

there also seems to be a different part number for the loom for auto parking and non auto parking so i'm not sure which one i've got

The two front inner sensors fit into the grill. When I did mine I bought the complete grill, which was cheap enough. I'm not sure why the loom would be different for parking assist on the front. I know the rear can either have 4 or 6 sensors. If you go for 6 I think you can bay park as well as parallel park, but I think you need the facelift module. 

I'm happy to report that this week I have sorted auto park on my MK3 estate! 

It is all fully working, my car started with no parking sensors at all.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2021 at 6:26 PM, Nathan Buffery said:

The two front inner sensors fit into the grill. When I did mine I bought the complete grill, which was cheap enough. I'm not sure why the loom would be different for parking assist on the front. I know the rear can either have 4 or 6 sensors. If you go for 6 I think you can bay park as well as parallel park, but I think you need the facelift module. 

never seen 6 sensors, so i'm assuming the 4 in the bumper are 4 of the 6 and the other 2 are for the blis package?

9 hours ago, Dojj said:

never seen 6 sensors, so i'm assuming the 4 in the bumper are 4 of the 6 and the other 2 are for the blis package?

I'm not 100% sure myself, but the 6 on the back is mentioned on page 2 & 3 of this thread. @Tommo17 is a bit more knowledgeable than me on this though.

• Like 1

On the MK3, there are 4 sensors on the back. If you see additional connectors then they are for the BLIS radar units. 

The MK3.5 has 6 sensors on the back (early ones had 4). This enables bay parking as well as parallel parking. 

You can put 6 on the back of a MK3 and also get bay parking, but you would have to replace the PAM module with one from a MK3.5 that supports it. You would then have to set the PDC architecture to CGEA on the APIM instead of C1MCA using Forscan. Not a Ford supported configuration, but it does work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I stumbled across this thread as I'm considering retrofitting reverse parking sensors to my mk3 titanium focus.

The guide seems straightforward enough and really useful - I have three connections in the boot - 2 brown (one 12 pin, one 16pin), and one black (12 pin) and and I think Ive found the required PAM module on eBay.

Do I still need to plug all three connections into the PAM if I only want to use the rear parking sensors?

I assume one of the brown connections I have reads data from front sensors and one from back? If this is the case, which connection do I need and which pins does it connect to on the PAM?

I'm conscious that if I connect all of the cables with no front sensors installed that it might think there's a fault and disable the entire PAM, rendering the reversing sensors useless.

Finally where do you connect the wiring loom for the sensors? I've found a connection on the underneath of the car that I think is the one to use?

Thanks
Stu

When you get the PAM module, the connectors will only fit in one place. They cannot be incorrectly connected to the PAM module. 

If you are going for just rear sensors, then you require a rear only PAM module (ends with -A* on the part number). 

It wouldn't matter if you connected the front sensor connector plug as they are just open circuit wires so would not affect anything. The connectors are keyed so will not fit in the wrong place on the PAM. 

But from memory, I think it is the 2 x outside plugs on the PAM. The black connector is the rear sensors. The centre connector port is the front sensors. The front sensor connector will have 8 wires in.

When you actually see it, you will find that you cannot get it wrong and it is safe to plug in all 3 connectors whether you have front sensors or not. 

The same goes for the loom in the rear bumper. The sensor connectors will only reach the correct parking sensors. You may have a couple of extra connectors in the back bumper that won't fit anything. These will be for the blind spot information system if it was ever fitted. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

When you get the PAM module, the connectors will only fit in one place. They cannot be incorrectly connected to the PAM module. 

If you are going for just rear sensors, then you require a rear only PAM module (ends with -A* on the part number). 

It wouldn't matter if you connected the front sensor connector plug as they are just open circuit wires so would not affect anything. The connectors are keyed so will not fit in the wrong place on the PAM. 

But from memory, I think it is the 2 x outside plugs on the PAM. The black connector is the rear sensors. The centre connector port is the front sensors. The front sensor connector will have 8 wires in.

When you actually see it, you will find that you cannot get it wrong and it is safe to plug in all 3 connectors whether you have front sensors or not. 

The same goes for the loom in the rear bumper. The sensor connectors will only reach the correct parking sensors. You may have a couple of extra connectors in the back bumper that won't fit anything. These will be for the blind spot information system if it was ever fitted. 

thanks for clarifying  @Steevo25  - much appreciated!

Hi guys,just finished adding front pdc sensors it works like a charm except for the tone ,when the front pdc button is pressed and obstacles are detected the bip seems to come from the ipc buzzer and not from the Speakers as like the rear one,i have correctly programmed the apim (Sync3 3.4) and as i said earlier all is working well.front,rear,semi automated and rear view camera although the car image up right in the screen has disappeared now,is it normal?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club