Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 maps F9

Andyr55

Hurrah. Success in updating software and Sync3 to F9 maps today.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I see Ford Sync website is telling me i have a relatively small update of 3.3gb to complete, anyone know what this update includes?

Thanks

13 minutes ago, GreyMack said:

I see Ford Sync website is telling me i have a relatively small update of 3.3gb to complete, anyone know what this update includes?

Thanks

Bug fixes I believe, it's Sync version 3.4 21020. After updating, there is a F10 maps to download at 23gb. That's if you are talking about the latest Sync versions. 

How long does it take to update to F10 maps is it about 1 and half hours 

• 1 month later...

I've been updating software and flashing firmware on many devices over the years and frankly the Ford Sync update process is the most unintuitive POS I've ever encountered.

You put the USB stick in and it says that a software update is in progress - fair enough. But then it says a key cycle is required shortly before restarting itself and continuing with "Software update in progress" so, does that mean:

a) Do a key cycle now

b) Wait for the Software update message to say something else, then do a key cycle

c) Assume that the whole process has just been restarted from square one

d) Assume a key cycle isn't required and it's continuing to update after the restart.

The messages say one thing and the behaviour is different and confusing.

In my case I did the key cycle interrupting the update message after the system restarted itself, but I didn't then get the update in progress prompt, just a very unresponsive touchscreen. I had a little icon top right that when pressed said that the update had been received and completed. So, I yanked the USB stick out to be told the update had failed (must have been in progress).

So now I have no idea if the first phase is complete, we're on to the second phase, if the whole 1 hour+ process has now restarted from scratch 🤷‍♂️

It also takes an unreasonable amount of time to perform these updates, even via a USB3 stick. Stick in a USB3 port if you're expecting customers to be transferring 20+ GB of data.

/rant

• Like 1

I got an error message after the first half (around 70mins) thought I was then back at the start. Went another 70mins. Got a bit of a shock when I got the updates successful message! 

• Haha 1

Given the issues appearing after some of us update Sync, I’d be very wary of updating right now.  There are 2-3 threads showing dead GPS systems, mostly in 68/19/69 plate Focus, but also the odd S Max.

Had my car not already done this over the air a month or so ago, I wouldn’t be touching it until the cause of these issues is found.

1 hour ago, Jus1973 said:

Given the issues appearing after some of us update Sync, I’d be very wary of updating right now.  There are 2-3 threads showing dead GPS systems, mostly in 68/19/69 plate Focus, but also the odd S Max.

Had my car not already done this over the air a month or so ago, I wouldn’t be touching it until the cause of these issues is found.

Is that as a result of the Sync update or the maps update? I've done the first (GPS/satnav still ok) but not the maps. Although I do appear to have F10 maps. So not sure what the maps update gives me.

35 minutes ago, jamieburchell said:

Is that as a result of the Sync update or the maps update? I've done the first (GPS/satnav still ok) but not the maps. Although I do appear to have F10 maps. So not sure what the maps update gives me.

It’s possible if you have wifi wherever you park your car,  it’s downloaded F10 maps all 22GB without you realising ! If your satnav is still working too you’ve won a watch! 

4 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Although I do appear to have F10 maps

If you’ve got it you’ve got it. 🙂

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

If you’ve got it you’ve got it. 🙂

Hmm. I'm confused then, because when I pulled the USB stick when I thought it had finished it came up with a message saying the update had failed. When I reinserted the USB stick it told me that I'd have to download and copy the files to the USB stick again. I didn't have a sync log file to upload either.

I'll try again when I have a spare 2 hours to sit in the car!?

28 minutes ago, jamieburchell said:

Hmm. I'm confused then,

If you do figure it out can you please let the Ford Update team know how you did it, because they are the most confused of all !!

• Like 1

I got F9 OTA. I don’t remember having a log file. Didn’t even own a USB stick at that point! I did however see it connecting in my drive every time over a week. 

52 minutes ago, jamieburchell said:

reinserted the USB stick it told me that I'd have to download and copy the files to the USB stick aga

Have u downloaded the f10 maps from the website?

If so I had similar message after part 1 . Plugged it back in, thinking it was repeating part 1.  Then in 1hr10mins later..success. 

Ford should give us a fuel allowance for this! 

• Haha 1

I have no idea what version I have downloaded from the website since Fraud doesn't provide any useful version information. I'm sure when I checked the system information it said F10, but maybe it was half installed or maybe this is an update on top of F10.

@jamieburchellfor someone who flashes firmware often you seem to get confused very easily.

It's really is quite a simple process and can be done whilst driving so you don't have to leave your car on in your drive etc. It will resume where it left off. 

I do think there is a prompt to remove USB msg that seems to tell you to remove the USB too early but I just leave my usb until I can goto settings and see the version changed.

Maps always take a long time to update for example I just updated the maps for Mercedes Command NTG 5.5 which took over hour and half.

1 hour ago, jamieburchell said:

I have no idea what version I have downloaded from the website since Fraud doesn't provide any useful version information. I'm sure when I checked the system information it said F10, but maybe it was half installed or maybe this is an update on top of F10.

Maybe it’s half done. But already says your on F10🤷‍♂️  
I got this message after the 1st hour download. I assumed I was where i began. 
Not the case. Usb back in ,hour later…Roberts your father’s brother….

B79F0A90-25AC-45F7-8C64-0429DC78597D.png

31 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Maybe it’s half done. But already says your on F10🤷‍♂️  
I got this message after the 1st hour download. I assumed I was where i began. 
Not the case. Usb back in ,hour later…Roberts your father’s brother….

B79F0A90-25AC-45F7-8C64-0429DC78597D.png

When I got that message it didn't matter how many times I reinserted the USB stick I got the same message. Which I thought was odd, why does it modify the files on the USB (apart from the file to upload).

I'll get there I'm sure, I just need some time to restart the process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/11/2021 at 4:39 PM, DaSingh said:

@jamieburchellfor someone who flashes firmware often you seem to get confused very easily.

Not sure why a personal dig is necessary. This forum post and other forums are full of people who've had issues with the update process. 🤷‍♂️

Previous updates have failed because Ford didn't actually release the correct XML files and assets for the update process to work.

I stand by my comment that it's an unintuitive POS for the reasons stated. Got to love an update process where there's no indication of progress and where you're left wondering what it's doing half the time because the update message vanished for no apparent reason.

Now all I get is MEM_ERR01.

7750289B-3244-4F9F-B9A4-893AB2A5EF6B.jpeg

Downloaded the tool to generate the log file since it wasn't anywhere to be found on the stick after the update (another hit and miss event with this process). Uploaded the log file, apparently the update was completed successfully.

Checked for further updates, offered a 8.4GB map update (map_9152262379_update.zip). I'm already on F10.

1 hour ago, jamieburchell said:

offered a 8.4GB map update

I ignored the 8gb update as I’d read it was on the ford website in error. No idea why. That was before getting the 22GB F10. 
also..the log file wasn’t the expected xml file. 

1 hour ago, Alex.S said:

I ignored the 8gb update as I’d read it was on the ford website in error. No idea why. That was before getting the 22GB F10. 
also..the log file wasn’t the expected xml file. 

Oh. Could you send me a link to that conversation? I've been offered it since uploading the log file for the 22GB update.

14 hours ago, jamieburchell said:

Oh. Could you send me a link to that conversation? I've been offered it since uploading the log file for the 22GB update.

It was on another ford forum. I can’t even remember which website never mind thread. 
So, you now have F10 ? But it’s not saying ‘up to date’? 

You’d think latest maps would have all the latest roads and addresses etc. 
My local medical centre, about 3 miles away. Built a decade ago..According to Ford navigation it doesn’t exist! 

13 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

My local medical centre, about 3 miles away. Built a decade ago..According to Ford navigation it doesn’t exist! 

That's funny, I bet people trying to get an appointment there also think it doesn't exist 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club