Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

Don't need bolt-ons, I already have a 90Gb monthly data allowance [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Nice pictures of yesterday's clean. Shattered now in bed suffering from yesterday's labour and late night heyfever

_20190531_120335.thumb.JPG.550ccf597784a1aefab234d8933c6bc9.JPG_20190531_120429.thumb.JPG.ed7f6394c14e13cd356f71a77ded16f6.JPG_20190531_120530.thumb.JPG.8dc33e2f12a947aea9a97524b83c4fa8.JPG

Applied some angelwax H2GO glass sealant and waxed the paint in the garage. 

_20190531_120556.thumb.JPG.8461055db8876650a96d72e1420269dd.JPG

Just need to fix the headlights 😭

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

• Like 3

Looks good @zain611! Have you tried anything on those lenses before?  My neighbour does his with a mini polisher on a drill, but it doesn't seem to last long, I reckon they're too far gone to fully revive really.  One benefit of buying a previous write off is that the lights on mine are only a year old so still perfectly clear lol.

I'm on the lookout for another cheap quick detailer this weekend after finishing a bottle of Sonax BSD.  Trouble is there's so much choice these days it's hard to work out which one does what! :unsure: 😮  I want one with more gloss and ideally fillers to cover swirl marks but still protection and beading as well.  Still can't afford the Koch Chemie FSE at £12 a bottle so looking at either Poorboys Spray & Gloss (£6.51) or Chemical Guys Speed Wipe (£7.73), unless there's something cheaper and better that anyone can recommend! 🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Looks good @zain611! Have you tried anything on those lenses before?  My neighbour does his with a mini polisher on a drill, but it doesn't seem to last long, I reckon they're too far gone to fully revive really.  One benefit of buying a previous write off is that the lights on mine are only a year old so still perfectly clear lol.

I'm on the lookout for another cheap quick detailer this weekend after finishing a bottle of Sonax BSD.  Trouble is there's so much choice these days it's hard to work out which one does what! :unsure: 😮  I want one with more gloss and ideally fillers to cover swirl marks but still protection and beading as well.  Still can't afford the Koch Chemie FSE at £12 a bottle so looking at either Poorboys Spray & Gloss (£6.51) or Chemical Guys Speed Wipe (£7.73), unless there's something cheaper and better that anyone can recommend! 🤔

Haven't touched the lights as I've never done it before. You can see someone attempted it by that mark on one of them. Luckily it catches my nail so hopefully ain't burnt into the plastic. The guy in my local detailing shop said it looks to be compound. 

I'm thinking of going there soon so will ask them about those finish sprays. The fse I think is the best one as it removes water spots and adds a lot of gloss. Bilt hamber do a good snow foam and shampoo. I like to apply fusso coat after several months to fill in the scratches and protect the paint. That glass sealant you could look at also. I applied two coats of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zain611 said:

I'm thinking of going there soon so will ask them about those finish sprays. The fse I think is the best one as it removes water spots and adds a lot of gloss. Bilt hamber do a good snow foam and shampoo. I like to apply fusso coat after several months to fill in the scratches and protect the paint. That glass sealant you could look at also. I applied two coats of it. 

It's all about budget for me atm so can only buy one product at a time unfortunately.  Lemonade lifestyle on a tap water budget as the saying goes... :laugh:  I could really do with some fallout remover for the rear wheels as the cheap brake pads on the back have left some pretty bad deposits on them but simply can't afford/justify any atm.  I'll definitely invest in some of that glass sealant if I can swap the Golf for a CC though (I've put the feelers out but no takers so far!) as the CC doesn't have a rear wiper as standard. :unsure: 

I'm trying to go to a few car shows and meets now we're into summer, so although my car is nowhere near show-worthy, I give it a quick wipe over with QD before I go anywhere so that's the priority product currently.  I'm swaying towards the Chemical Guys Speed wipe...their website mentions lasting gloss and beading, whereas the Poorboys seems to be more of a short term show-shine kind of thing.  The CG is also supposed to be anti-static so will repel dust and pollen...but obviously I won't know how well that works until I try it lol.  

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

How do you top up out of interest?  O2 have now stopped ATM top-ups from today. :sad:  Admittedly it's been over 2 years since I've had to top up, but ATM was the easiest for me.

I don't get offered bolt ons like that though! :laugh: 

I usually get a top-up at Tesco, just ask for a top-up at the till 😉 I do get better bolt-ons than that 😀........ but not as much as what Stoney needs! 😮 😀

5 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Don't need bolt-ons, I already have a 90Gb monthly data allowance emoji4.png

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's all about budget for me atm so can only buy one product at a time unfortunately.  Lemonade lifestyle on a tap water budget as the saying goes... :laugh:  I could really do with some fallout remover for the rear wheels as the cheap brake pads on the back have left some pretty bad deposits on them but simply can't afford/justify any atm.  I'll definitely invest in some of that glass sealant if I can swap the Golf for a CC though (I've put the feelers out but no takers so far!) as the CC doesn't have a rear wiper as standard. :unsure: 

I'm trying to go to a few car shows and meets now we're into summer, so although my car is nowhere near show-worthy, I give it a quick wipe over with QD before I go anywhere so that's the priority product currently.  I'm swaying towards the Chemical Guys Speed wipe...their website mentions lasting gloss and beading, whereas the Poorboys seems to be more of a short term show-shine kind of thing.  The CG is also supposed to be anti-static so will repel dust and pollen...but obviously I won't know how well that works until I try it lol.  

I went to the place and asked about those products. The guy their used the poor boys stuff years ago and never tried the chemical guys stuff. He did show me this as an alternative. DSC_0196.thumb.JPG.fda0d8622c9b5efc70937e8a3e9a693f.JPGDSC_0197.thumb.JPG.613caa738774f615de6cf198dc485cb8.JPG

For fallout remover I use Bilt hamber auto wheels. It's a wheel cleaner and fallout remover and I used it on the entire paint when I was prepping to machine polish it. Just got that stuff today from there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turvey said:

I usually get a top-up at Tesco, just ask for a top-up at the till 😉 😀 😮 😀

But then you have to actually speak to a person IRL... :unsure:

I only ever use self service! :laugh:

(Also, I can't seem to remove your smilies in the test box lol)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zain611 said:

Nice pictures of yesterday's clean. Shattered now in bed suffering from yesterday's labour and late night heyfever

_20190531_120335.thumb.JPG.550ccf597784a1aefab234d8933c6bc9.JPG_20190531_120429.thumb.JPG.ed7f6394c14e13cd356f71a77ded16f6.JPG_20190531_120530.thumb.JPG.8dc33e2f12a947aea9a97524b83c4fa8.JPG

Applied some angelwax H2GO glass sealant and waxed the paint in the garage. 

_20190531_120556.thumb.JPG.8461055db8876650a96d72e1420269dd.JPG

Just need to fix the headlights 😭

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

looks good :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Can someone in the uk; with a single mattress,

Please measure the length and tell me whether its 190cm or 200cm in length 

As I know Ireland use a 190cm long mattress and I'm writing a bit of a blog on home improvements where I've purchased beds from Belgium; over there they use a 200cm long mattress, so the bed frames are designed to take a 200cm which leaves almost 4" of a gap either top or bottom of the bed depending where you git the mattress, 

I've since found a mattress pouch which is designed to fit this 4" space creating an extra storage place, 

c409b073c7e27e7b7b5ac88459d46e31.image.340x241.jpg.e31c9e9dfea50b6fe0b9aa114c462256.jpg

My question now is; do the UK use a 200cm long or a 190cm long mattress, and why aren't they all the same anyways 😂

Link: https://www.beds.ie/parisot-mattress-gap-filler.html 

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

My question now is; do the UK use a 200cm long or a 190cm long mattress, and why aren't they all the same anyways 😂

Link: https://www.beds.ie/parisot-mattress-gap-filler.html 

Only king and super king are 200cm over here Lenny, single and double are 190cm. I struggle in a double or a single if I'm lying straight, luckily though even though im 6ft5 19 stone I still sleep in the foetal position so get away with it come nap time.😂

https://www.bedandmattress.co.uk/size_guide

• Like 1

I do like that my car is (was) shiny and clean earlier today. Unlike @zain611 I cheated slightly and got my friend's husband to give it the final clean and polish/wax (I did jet wash and snow foam it last weekend to get the heavy stuff off first).

669854920_IMG_20190531_171719-Copy.thumb.jpg.2d1c46c8ef6780f0d895f27218885220.jpg1264931618_IMG_20190531_171705-Copy.thumb.jpg.8d1f94934c5348934dabdb670f59b817.jpg1842213419_IMG_20190531_171652-Copy.thumb.jpg.a89be977c8aeda33a09151281529ee5a.jpg2009859972_IMG_20190531_171642-Copy.thumb.jpg.ae65d335515f7e9d1d7e33cc3926597e.jpg

• Like 2

I do like getting a "new" washing machine delivered today...  When I say "new" it is actually older than the Hotpoint it replaced, but a darn sight better considering it is a 1980s Zanussi and anybody around in the 90s and early 00s knows they last forever.

20190531_215631.thumb.jpg.f6fbe49367dd1a3b538dea62deb9fdef.jpg

I didn't envy the two guys who lifted it out of the top floor flat it was located in and then into my house, as these things weigh a tonne!!

• Like 3

Things were built to last back then @jmurray01. In fact we had a Zanussi dishwasher at our old house (~17+ years ago) that only had a thermostat fail in it's lifetime. We made the mistake of leaving it for the new owners when we moved and ended up with a Hotpoint that ended up adding sand/dirt onto clean plates after a wash cycle (our auntie was staying at the time would wash the plates etc. first before putting them in the dishwasher afterwards 🤦‍♂️).

Tend to get Bosch white goods now as they are comparably longer lasting nowadays than other modern brands.

3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Things were built to last back then @jmurray01. In fact we had a Zanussi dishwasher at our old house (~17+ years ago) that only had a thermostat fail in it's lifetime. We made the mistake of leaving it for the new owners when we moved and ended up with a Hotpoint that ended up adding sand/dirt onto clean plates after a wash cycle (our auntie was staying at the time would wash the plates etc. first before putting them in the dishwasher afterwards 🤦‍♂️).

Tend to get Bosch white goods now as they are comparably longer lasting nowadays than other modern brands.

Yes I have to concur, if I were to buy a new appliance now (which is very unlikely) I would go for Bosch

The washing machine actually unintentionally matches my Zanussi fridge freezer of the same era, so as long as both keep working I will be very happy, and if they do break down they are easy enough to repair as long as the parts are still available.

My mother bought a fairly low end washing machine last year and after 6 months one of the lights on the front panel burned out, so that just goes to show the lack of quality these days.

10 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

My mother bought a fairly low end washing machine last year and after 6 months one of the lights on the front panel burned out, so that just goes to show the lack of quality these days.

Built in obsolescence. For manufacturers to get us to upgrade/update and buy more, things are almost built to break after a certain period now 😐.

Even if you can find parts, sometimes they are priced £££ and it's almost worth getting a new machine for a couple of £ more. In the last 3 months our Samsung Dual oven starting to have problems with one of the units. Thankfully we had a 5 year guarantee (still have around 18 months left I think) so we got an engineer out to replace it without any cost. On looking at the parts for it, the centre oven divider tray was priced at >£110. It's just a slightly thicker shelving section but priced at almost a third of the cost of the oven!

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I do like that my car is (was) shiny and clean earlier today. Unlike @zain611 I cheated slightly and got my friend's husband to give it the final clean and polish/wax (I did jet wash and snow foam it last weekend to get the heavy stuff off first).

669854920_IMG_20190531_171719-Copy.thumb.jpg.2d1c46c8ef6780f0d895f27218885220.jpg1264931618_IMG_20190531_171705-Copy.thumb.jpg.8d1f94934c5348934dabdb670f59b817.jpg1842213419_IMG_20190531_171652-Copy.thumb.jpg.a89be977c8aeda33a09151281529ee5a.jpg2009859972_IMG_20190531_171642-Copy.thumb.jpg.ae65d335515f7e9d1d7e33cc3926597e.jpg

Saves you the next morning back ache 😂. I always get muscle pain on the sides of my back the next day after cleaning my car accompanied by leg pain. 

• Like 1

@zain611 you're right about avoiding the muscle aches BUT I ended up catching the sun last weekend and was a little red around the back of my neck and ears instead 😄.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just got back home after sorting the latest thing up there (bathroom extractor fan), to find out shower at home has packed up now, so not a happy bunny!

Last time I had trouble with this, the shut-off valves (which are located in the loft which has about 3 feet headroom) snapped off when reopened so I had to get them replaced. Not been up since (in 12 years!) but crawled in the other day to see if the valves would still operate ok so I can isolate the shower to fit a new cartridge. Amazingly they are still operating freely, so bless you, Mick the plumber!😀 Just got to fit that new shower cartridge when it arrives now!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Last time I had trouble with this, the shut-off valves (which are located in the loft which has about 3 feet headroom) snapped off when reopened so I had to get them replaced. Not been up since (in 12 years!) but crawled in the other day to see if the valves would still operate ok so I can isolate the shower to fit a new cartridge. Amazingly they are still operating freely, so bless you, Mick the plumber!😀 Just got to fit that new shower cartridge when it arrives now!

To keep water valves from sticking; you should always turn them back by half a turn

After you fully open the valve; turn it back a little, 

This stops the valve from sticking. 

If replacing an electric shower; I recommend a Triton T90SR as the SR stands for "Silent Running" 

I've also had my shower extraction fan wired in to the pull cord for the electric shower; which the fan now comes on along with the shower. 

Also I've got a home improvement thread which you may be interested to view, feel free to comment if desired, ivd put alot of time in to documenting everything on it: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/ 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Lenny said:

To keep water valves from sticking; you should always turn them back by half a turn

After you fully open the valve; turn it back a little, 

I do that as well always works🙂 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 9:59 AM, TomsFocus said:

O2 have now stopped ATM top-ups from today. :sad:  

Just been to the nearest ATM (Barclays) and the mobile top up options still included O2 but couldn't try it 'cos I'm not with them. However spotted a few things online which suggests customers of other networks have received similar messages by text. They say this is a decision by the ATM provider, not the phone networks. 

I guess this may be tied in with the news that more ATMs will be levying a charge. Wondered also if it only applied to all ATMs or just to those not operated by banks? My mobile is Tesco btw, and I've not had anything from them as yet.

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just been to the nearest ATM (Barclays) and the mobile top up options still included O2 but couldn't try it 'cos I'm not with them. However spotted a few things online which suggests customers of other networks have received similar messages by text. They say this is a decision by the ATM provider, not the phone networks. 

I guess this may be tied in with the news that more ATMs will be levying a charge. Wondered also if it only applied to all ATMs or just to those not operated by banks? My mobile is Tesco btw, and I've not had anything from them as yet.

I must admit, I haven't had a text about it yet either, saw it on the O2 forum.  It'll probably be another 12+ months before I need to top up again! :laugh:  

I'm not sure who pays for ATMs?  I guessed that maybe they were stopping it because top-ups aren't profitable...but then realised we don't pay for cash out either (in most cases!)...so I can't really see what the difference is there.

Having said that, I rarely use cash at all now so don't use the ATMs tbh.  Bills are all direct debit.  I always use contactless debit in shops.  And for fuel I just use the BP app which is already linked to my account.  The only time I need cash is for car show entry, but when I buy my Nan any shopping, I pay with contactless and she pays me back with cash so I just store that ready for the shows.  I can't remember the last time I did use an ATM now I think about it, over a year ago I reckon! 😮 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club