Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dashboard Camera for integration with SYNC 3 Part No. 2421817

st line x 140 driver

After asking the question I was led to believe these cameras would link up to your rear parking camera via the Sync system to give an all around view of the vehicle however it appears they only face forwards at the stated 139 degree angle?

What if you get rear ended or bumped behind the field of vision🤷‍♂️

How much can the forward facing camera actually see?

Considering this camera for a Ranger Wildtrak and Transit tipper.

Any experiences would be appreciated. 

On 1/31/2022 at 2:10 PM, Blue6 said:

After asking the question I was led to believe these cameras would link up to your rear parking camera via the Sync system to give an all around view of the vehicle ...

Hi Ben,

A lot of people got this kind of thinking and I'm not sure from where got this idea... Can you please tell me how come you got this impression?

Anyway this is how the DVR - SYNC connection works:

• This DVR is connected with your mobile phone VIA bluetooth (BLE) or Wi-Fi (for live stream or file management) thru Ford dashcam app.
  • The phone is connected with the SYNC (BT)
  • The Ford dashcam app can communicate simultaneously with the Ford dashcam SYNC app (SYNC mobile apps must be enabled - that means the Android Auto or CarPlay must be disabled - this is how SYNC works) and the DashCam unit.
  • From the Ford DashCam SYNC app you can control the DashCam unit. This works ONLY when the mobile phone is present in the car.

...What if you get rear ended or bumped behind the field of vision🤷‍♂️...

Since the DashCam field of view is forward oriented, there will no images from the back.

...How much can the forward facing camera actually see?...

At the end of this DashCam installation tutorial you got an example of what you can see:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I’m getting a new Ecosport on 1st March and the dealership is fitting this dashcam for me. I have a question about operating the cam, if someone can answer for me please? It’s around not being able to use Apple Car Play in conjunction with the cam. Does this mean I’m unable to use phone and message functions, at all times, if I want the dashcam  to operate? Also please, what are the methods available for triggering a (protected) recording? Does Sync voice command work, or is it by phone app. only?

2 hours ago, Enthuse said:

....It’s around not being able to use Apple Car Play in conjunction with the cam. Does this mean I’m unable to use phone and message functions, at all times, if I want the dashcam  to operate? ...

Hi,
Unfortunately the SYNC's mobile apps (Ford dashcam app included ) are only available when CarPlay/ Android Auto features are disabled.

image.thumb.jpeg.85c39ac457e0059238380ad34414a7b7.jpeg1544993577_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at15_24.58(3)_LI.thumb.jpg.9a5931b1847a401d24c1ff2c091b26f2.jpg1456017351_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at15_37.36_LI.thumb.jpg.4d10060d05dde405a51676eb77b1b8a3.jpg

...Also please, what are the methods available for triggering a (protected) recording? Does Sync voice command work, or is it by phone app. only?...

There are a number of ways to protect a recording:
Automatically

• "CRASH" - while driving if a certain G acceleration is met (crash, braking hard, or sometimes when the car is accelerating pretty hard while turning). In this case a 2 minutes "Crash" type video is saved - 1 minute before the crash trigger and another one after.

This video is saved in a CRASH named folder and will not be overwritten by the continuous recording feature.

• "PARK" -  wile the car is parked if a shock is detected by the dashcam a 1 minute after the trigger video will be recorded (Park Mode must be ON)

This video is saved in a PARK named folder and will not be overwritten by the continuous recording feature.

No worries about the current draw when this feature is enabled!

It will remain under 10 microAmps (0.00001A!!)

Manually

• "EVENT" type video is saved in a EVENT named folder and also will not be overwritten by the continuous recording feature.

"Event" type video length can be customized as 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes after the event or 1 minute before and 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes after the event. As you like.

This dashcam has a 1 minute buffer video that will be saved when a "Event" or "Crash" video is triggered, even if the DashCam is not recording (recording stopped VIA app or continuous recording is turned off)

This video type can be triggered as follow:
- VIA voice commands - when SYNC's mobile apps are available (see above)
- Click on Event button on SYNC app - when SYNC's mobile apps are available (see above)

806104623_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at16_07.19_LI.thumb.jpg.c86521dbdb8cd29d7a49b3057d892dda.jpg
- Click Event button on the mobile phone's app

1130354459_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at16_07.45_LI.thumb.jpg.f5172d7cfb9cec9c50839398350e0438.jpg
- Or the easiest way, just press on the Ford logo button on the DashCam

Inked2022-02-23_16-08-25_LI.thumb.jpg.dce6adf8962beaada1e5a1bdebda89e0.jpg

Cheers!

Ovidiu

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this. I find the phone/message app. invaluable, so loath the idea of losing the benefit of it. So would it work if I continue to use phone/messaging via CarPlay and rely on the G force acceleration/deceleration to automatically trigger a protected file in the event of a collision. And further to this, if I wanted to preserve other video files of interest, would I be able to do this by pressing the Ford logo button whilst phone/messaging is still active via CarPlay?

13 hours ago, Enthuse said:

... And further to this, if I wanted to preserve other video files of interest, would I be able to do this by pressing the Ford logo button whilst phone/messaging is still active via CarPlay?

Everything will work normally no matter if the CarPlay is enabled or not.

Thank you! It sounds therefore that CarPlay prevents usage of the dashcam app. (only). This is a relief as my strategy can be to use CarPlay as before and just disable this as and when I want to use the app. e.g. for playback. Thanks once again.

16 hours ago, Enthuse said:

Thank you!

You're more than welcome.  if there anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Cheers!

I’m thinking of ordering this….https://www.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/memory-cards/sandisk-high-endurance-uhs-i-microsd#SDSQQNR-128G-GN6IA assuming, as you’ve said previously, that the cam is ok with 128 capacity and therefore supports the EXFAT file format. Similarly I also want to get another dashcam to use as rear facing. Favourite is the Xiaomi 70mai D06 1S Smart Car Dash Cam 1080p but it’s currently unavailable from any supplier I’m totally confident about. My current set up has both front and rear facing cameras, but is seriously outdated.

On 2/24/2022 at 2:34 PM, Enthuse said:

... and just disable this as and when I want to use the app. e.g. for playback...

Another thing: there is no file transfer between the dashcam and the SYNC unit. Therefore you can only play the videos from your phone.

I’m thinking of ordering this…

Your link goes to a USB flash drive. You cannot use that. Only micro SD Card up to 128GB.

Please use an INDUSTRIAL type SD Card.

...Xiaomi 70mai D06 1S...

This DVR is cheaper than a cheap 256GB SD Card. I don't know what to say about that...🤣🤣🤣

Don’t know what went wrong with the link, but here’s the SD card I was looking at…

E9B71866-1B2D-40B3-A252-507ABADA9335.jpeg

With regard to the dashcam for rear use. I’m just looking for a certain spec. no screen, wifi, internal battery, decent low light performance. The voice control is a bonus. I don’t mind paying more, but the spec of this was spot on. It’s had some good reviews and seems to be selling like hit cakes.

1 hour ago, Lumberjack said:

Another thing: there is no file transfer between the DashCam and the SYNC unit. Therefore you can only play the videos from your phone.

Your link goes to a USB flash drive. You cannot use that. Only micro SD Card up to 128GB.

Please use an INDUSTRIAL type SD Card.

This DVR is cheaper than a cheap 256GB SD Card. I don't know what to say about that...🤣🤣🤣

The industrial SD cards I’m seeing online seem only to be U1 (10M/bs) write speed, as opposed to 30M/bs for U3. As write speed seems to be one of the most important factors, otherwise playback appears to ‘stuttering’. Is the playback smooth, without gaps on the supplied U1 card? I’ve got to wait and see if the dealer has fitted the cam to the screen, or to the back of the mirror (as I’ve seen pictured for the Ecosport). I can imagine heat would be even more significant if attached to the screen.

On 2/25/2022 at 5:26 PM, Enthuse said:

The industrial SD cards I’m seeing online seem only to be U1 (10M/bs) write speed, as opposed to 30M/bs for U3. As write speed seems to be one of the most important factors, otherwise playback appears to ‘stuttering’. Is the playback smooth, without gaps on the supplied U1 card? I’ve got to wait and see if the dealer has fitted the cam to the screen, or to the back of the mirror (as I’ve seen pictured for the Ecosport). I can imagine heat would be even more significant if attached to the screen.

This U1 SD Card is enough for the DashCam:

446997445_WhatsAppImage2022-02-28at10_23_28.thumb.jpeg.0b31b2277c343c0d70b2d05fb54b005c.jpeg

Please see the actual test result for one of supplied SD Card   - it got around 30MB/s:😁😁😁:

image.png.84c8f08e01192b39e881606e8d14f2da.png

Anyway, as you observed, the speed is not enough.

The INDUSTRIAL XI  type SD Cards are especially designed for surveillance camera operation and the temperature range is suitable for this, no matter where the DVR is installed.

Temp range: -40°C to 85°C

image.thumb.png.2fd7a723e8acd1de1541dd575d83ac54.png

So, please trust the SD Card supplied with the dashcam, it's a pretty good one 🙂 .

The dashcam will be installed on the windshield, behind the mirror, on the left side:

image.thumb.png.1166968f5be3ca5d7460653995c27dc7.png

Cheers!

Thanks! Yep, that’s where it’s fitted. Car received and dashcam up and running. Seems a bit of a faff, but still getting to grips with it to be fair. Wanted to order a 128 Industrial card, but non in stock at present.

On 2/23/2022 at 3:30 PM, Lumberjack said:

Hi,
Unfortunately the SYNC's mobile apps (Ford DashCam app included ) are only available when CarPlay/ Android Auto features are disabled.

image.thumb.jpeg.85c39ac457e0059238380ad34414a7b7.jpeg1544993577_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at15_24.58(3)_LI.thumb.jpg.9a5931b1847a401d24c1ff2c091b26f2.jpg1456017351_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at15_37.36_LI.thumb.jpg.4d10060d05dde405a51676eb77b1b8a3.jpg

There are a number of ways to protect a recording:
Automatically

• "CRASH" - while driving if a certain G acceleration is met (crash, braking hard, or sometimes when the car is accelerating pretty hard while turning). In this case a 2 minutes "Crash" type video is saved - 1 minute before the crash trigger and another one after.

This video is saved in a CRASH named folder and will not be overwritten by the continuous recording feature.

• "PARK" -  wile the car is parked if a shock is detected by the DashCam a 1 minute after the trigger video will be recorded (Park Mode must be ON)

This video is saved in a PARK named folder and will not be overwritten by the continuous recording feature.

No worries about the current draw when this feature is enabled!

It will remain under 10 microAmps (0.00001A!!)

Manually

• "EVENT" type video is saved in a EVENT named folder and also will not be overwritten by the continuous recording feature.

"Event" type video length can be customized as 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes after the event or 1 minute before and 1, 3, 5, 10 minutes after the event. As you like.

This DashCam has a 1 minute buffer video that will be saved when a "Event" or "Crash" video is triggered, even if the DashCam is not recording (recording stopped VIA app or continuous recording is turned off)

This video type can be triggered as follow:
- VIA voice commands - when SYNC's mobile apps are available (see above)
- Click on Event button on SYNC app - when SYNC's mobile apps are available (see above)

806104623_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at16_07.19_LI.thumb.jpg.c86521dbdb8cd29d7a49b3057d892dda.jpg
- Click Event button on the mobile phone's app

1130354459_InkedWhatsAppImage2022-02-23at16_07.45_LI.thumb.jpg.f5172d7cfb9cec9c50839398350e0438.jpg
- Or the easiest way, just press on the Ford logo button on the DashCam

Inked2022-02-23_16-08-25_LI.thumb.jpg.dce6adf8962beaada1e5a1bdebda89e0.jpg

Cheers!

Ovidiu

It appears that ‘Park’ recordings are being saved whilst the vehicle is travelling. I wonder if this is normal? If so it is hardly a true ‘Park’ event and will surely, gradually fill the SD card. Are you seeing this? I initially thought it might be wired up wrong, but it’s hard to imagine that there’s a feed that’s live without ignition, that isn’t live with ignition on? Or is there a sensitivity setting for the ‘Park’ function have you seen?

It appears that ‘Park’ recordings are being saved whilst the vehicle is travelling. I wonder if this is normal? If so it is hardly a true ‘Park’ event and will surely, gradually fill the SD card. Are you seeing this? I initially thought it might be wired up wrong, but it’s hard to imagine that there’s a feed that’s live without ignition, that isn’t live with ignition on? Or is there a sensitivity setting for the ‘Park’ function have you seen?

Hi. I tend to use an (non cellular) iPad the majority of the time at home (obviously generally iPhone when out and about), so operation by iPad would have several benefits to me. I’ve downloaded the app to iPad and can connect to the cam and see the files etc. However, for whatever reason, it doesn’t seem possible to view or download the files to iPad? As I’m now writing this I’m just wondering if the iPad was successfully connected to the dashcam wifi (I.e. is bluetooth used to connect to the cam on one level, with further wifi connectivity needed for view and download functions?). Depending upon replies received I’ll have a look at that. Thanks in advance for replies!

On 3/5/2022 at 3:53 PM, Enthuse said:

It appears that ‘Park’ recordings are being saved whilst the vehicle is travelling. I wonder if this is normal?...

No, it's not.

The Park videos is only created when the car is parked (ignition is off )and a shock is detected.

Seems that the dashcam got no power wile the engine is running.

I'm not sure if is wired wrong, could be just a blown fuse. Please go back to the installer and ask them to double check the wires ( especially the Yellow one ), and the fuses:

image.thumb.png.7b21c4c66206e4a9ba6b04a667713bb5.png

I tend to use an (non cellular) iPad the majority of the time at home (obviously generally iphone when out and about), so operation by iPad would have several benefits to me. I’ve downloaded the app to iPad and can connect to the cam and see the files etc. ...

Since usually the iPad is never used while driving, the app was never intended to be run from it and was never tested like this.

Anyway, please let me know what iPad do you have and let me see what we can do.

...I’m just wondering if the iPad was successfully connected to the dashcam wifi (I.e. is Bluetooth used to connect to the cam on one level, with further wifi connectivity needed for view and download functions?)....

dashcam use BLE (bluetooth Low Energy ) for control and Wi-Fi for live stream and SD Card file transfer.

Thanks again for your replies. I’ve had a closer look at this and a video clip appears to be being saved in the ‘Park’ folder as and when the car pulls up and the ignition is switched off. I presume this too is not quite as it should be?

I do have some slight concerns that the installation has not been done strictly to the fitment instructions. Certainly the wire has not been routed exactly as instructed, and I do wonder if the mounting template has been used. It seems a little low on the windscreen to me?

We have three iPads, all ‘Air’ variants, the main one I use being the 2019 model.

2E20D513-E8E7-485F-96CE-3BEBA75C74DC.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lumberjack said:

Seems that the DashCam got no power wile the engine is running.

I had a problem when I first installed my dashcam. I thought I'd connected to a supply that was 'Live' when the ignition was on. It seemed to work as I expected at first and switched on and off with the ignition - But there was an unexpected problem. Everytime I was driving and I came to a stop, if the Stop/Start system activated and switched the engine off, then the dashcam also switched off. When the car automatically restarted then the dashcam would turn back on. I had to rewire the supply to the dashcam so that it would stay on while driving.

4 minutes ago, Enthuse said:

...I’ve had a closer look at this and a video clip appears to be being saved in the ‘Park’ folder as and when the car pulls up and the ignition is switched off. I presume this too is not quite as it should be?...

As I said, the Park video is triggered when ignition is off and a shock is detected.

This video should be discarded if:

• The ignition is turned on - this means you are already inside the car and the park video is not needed - normal video recording;
  • The dashcam is connecting with the phone (App running) - same reason.

... It seems a little low on the windscreen to me? ...

From here looks just right - the red arrow indicate where the double sided tape is on the windscreen:

image.png.64e16f59daa44a9263d7e0cae625cb4d.thumb.png.a3dd7d61ff2163ce91f3b24b5202dba6.png

The dashcam should be low enough that the field of view is not obstructed:

Inked2E20D513-E8E7-485F-96CE-3BEBA75C74DC.jpeg.426a43ac873d3eb4b5d6f814f4fab51d_LI.thumb.jpg.f16e2105cacc7efebf1ae60ba7f7b61d.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unofix said:

... Everytime I was driving and I came to a stop, if the Stop/Start system activated and switched the engine off, then the dashcam also switched off. When the car automatically restarted then the dashcam would turn back on. I had to rewire the supply to the dashcam so that it would stay on while driving...

The Ignition feed is not affected by the Stop&Go feature, if it's wired correctly 😁

There's an install guide that should be followed by the letter 😉 - is not a DIY job.

Cheers!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club