Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

I had my Flu jab two weeks ago and my Covid jab last week. I have two of the conditions that qualify me for a Covid jab ( Asthma and Diabetes) so surely I am entitled to two. 🙂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Being pressured by GP at the moment to go on an oral anticoagulant so this was of interest.

The only downside, and it's very trivial, is that if you cut yourself (shaving etc), or get future injections, you will bleed for an age! (On warfarin for life to thin blood so it doesn't clog up my mechanical heart valve)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

The only downside, and it's very trivial, is that if you cut yourself (shaving etc), or get future injections, you will bleed for an age! (On warfarin for life to thin blood so it doesn't clog up my mechanical heart valve)

I dont heal quickly or as quickly as i used to, and i take a baby aspirin 75mg and also clopidogrel as am stable on both. Had both my jabs the last 2 days and no excessive signs of bleeding. I do also bruise easily so am cautious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

On warfarin for life

Fortunately the NHS are now offering DOACs such as apixaban which, after doing a lot of research I am more inclined to accept, and do not need such regular testing as warfarin. 

Still a bit concerned about bleeding risk, though I use an electric razor!

I am already very prone to cuts etc without noticing due to absent/altered sensation in several areas as a result of accident, plastic surgery, nerve damage etc. If anything, though, I see internal bleeding as a bigger risk - my late father in law suffered near fatal internal bleeding after a very minor fall while on warfarin.

Got a couple of appointments to discuss a way forward over the next few weeks so we'll see how it goes. I'm at high stroke risk**, I'm told, so DOACs are probably very much a case of lesser of two evils, I feel!

(** Every year I have a review and they give me the odds of surviving for the next year. I was looking through my own "medical file" the other day and worked through the odds I've been given. Apparently I've been dead for 3 years already!😀)

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Fortunately the NHS are now offering DOACs such as apixaban which, after doing a lot of research I am more inclined to accept, and do not need such regular testing as warfarin.

I do home testing of my INR (blood gloopiness) and just phone my INR nurse who adjust my warfarin dosage, the machine cost me £300 but fortunately I can get the test strips on prescription...

• Like 2

Most hospitals run Warfarin clinics, or they used to from memory, when i used to go with my ex to her BIG C consultations

1 minute ago, Jimpster said:

Most hospitals run Warfarin clinics, or they used to from memory, when i used to go with my ex to her BIG C consultations

That was the reason I invested in my own machine. Who could be arsed with a 30 mile round trip every 2 to 3 weeks for a 5 minute procedure, for the rest of your life...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Who could be arsed with a 30 mile round trip every 2 to 3 weeks for a 5 minute procedure, for the rest of your life...

Lol, that was one of the reasons I resisted warfarin, father in law had to do that for years, and guess who ended up taking him.

Sounds like your local healthcare is a bit more sensible than mine. I regularly monitor my BP and pulse and could easily phone, email or drop it into reception at the local branch. But no, they insist I have a face to face with the nurse.

By the time I get there, BP and pulse are both raised by either the 1 mile brisk walk to the local branch surgery or the hassle of driving and trying to park if I have to go to the main surgery. The nurse does the reading, invariably says it's rubbish for the reasons mentioned, and asks it I've brought my own readings which she then enters in my records. So a complete joke but they don't seem to get it!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Sounds like your local healthcare is a bit more sensible than mine.

mmm... It has it's moments. My biggest bug bear is that they still insist on you picking up a prescription on a piece of paper, & delivering the piece of paper to the pharmacy, rather than emailing them direct! Though Boots send their own driver now to pick script up from GP so no biggie. Must admit I can email them BP results and diabetic blood sugar results, so not all bad 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

My biggest bug bear is that they still insist on you picking up a prescription on a piece of paper, & delivering the piece of paper to the pharmacy, rather than emailing them direct!

Mine actually does send prescriptions electronically to my pharmacist so that's a point in their favour, then!😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Mine actually does send prescriptions electronically to my pharmacist so that's a point in their favour, then!😀

I am registered with a local pharmacist who delivers my meds to me. I login on their website, order what I need, they get it approved by my surgery, and it gets delivered in three or four days.

4 minutes ago, Janner7859 said:

I am registered with a local pharmacist who delivers my meds to me. I login on their website, order what I need, they get it approved by my surgery, and it gets delivered in three or four days.

Now stop showing off LOL Northern Ireland does not have a means of communication between surgery & pharmacy. I've been lobbying MLAs here for decades for a change! Though I have managed to get my elderly mum all her medication, pre 'blister packed' and she gets it delivered weekly...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

So do ours. Even if I go to Dr and they prescribe me something , the Dr sends it directly to our boots electronically. No green paper in my hand anymore. By the way ime I get to boots the prescription is ready to collect. 

At the surgery a lad I know uses , the prescription meds are dispensed out of hrs in a vending machine type way apparently. Not seen that in our town. 

Screenshot_20231021-141733.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, iantt said:

the prescription meds are dispensed out of hrs in a vending machine type way apparently

Now I've got visions of getting a bag of crisps, a Mars bar and a packet of beta blockers from a vending machine!😀

• Haha 2

Many surgeries have access to quite a few apps, theres also the NHS App which i now use, is that available in Ireland ? Mine stopped using the MyGp app, the NHS one works well also to bypass reception and long wait times i use Patchs which is an online communication system.

28 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

...is that available in Ireland ?...

No, not even available in Northern Ireland too 🤣

• Haha 2

We use a website called Patient Services to request repeat prescription etc online.  They send it to the chemist where we pick it up from a couple of days later,  seems to work ok.👍

You can also book appointments which is handy if you don't want to be bothered explaining your symptoms to a receptionist! Not an issue for most folk I realise but if you went to school with the receptionist it can get a bit awkward 😃

29 minutes ago, Turvey said:

We use a website called Patient Services to request repeat prescription etc online.  They send it to the chemist where we pick it up from a couple of days later,  seems to work ok.👍

You can also book appointments which is handy if you don't want to be bothered explaining your symptoms to a receptionist! Not an issue for most folk I realise but if you went to school with the receptionist it can get a bit awkward 😃

Interestingly, Patient Services operate in NI, but they only pass your repeat request on to your registered GP. In addition, the 'appointment' service has been suspended for 3 years now. AND it's the most unreliable service I have ever used, having frequent outages, including a recent one which lasted a full 3 months!

EDIT

You gotta laugh, just tried to order some meds...

patienterror.thumb.jpg.22afc6ec855f92c5db6f920db329fc6b.jpg

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Interestingly, Patient Services operate in NI, but they only pass your repeat request on to your registered GP. In addition, the 'appointment' service has been suspended for 3 years now. AND it's the most unreliable service I have ever used, having frequent outages, including a recent one which lasted a full 3 months!

EDIT

You gotta laugh, just tried to order some meds...

patienterror.thumb.jpg.22afc6ec855f92c5db6f920db329fc6b.jpg

What does your GP do with the request once they receive it? 

3 minutes ago, Turvey said:

What does your GP do with the request once they receive it? 

They print it out on a piece of paper, which then has to be taken to your chemist. The 'Victorians' would recognise the procedure LOL NI has no electronic comms between GP and pharmacy, I've lobbied for decades for a change.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

They print it out on a piece of paper, which then has to be taken to your chemist. 

How quaint! 😄

• Haha 2

Never forget the first time I went to collect a prescription myself.  It was in the distant past - 2018 - and I was given a piece of paper.  (Had avoided all medical contact for about 15 years until that point, self-treated in that time, had no idea how the system worked)

Took the paper into Boots, they walked round the counter, took the item off the shelf, and then asked if I wanted to wait for it or come back later!? :ermm:  But you just picked it up?  I can see it... :unsure:

Was also frustrated that the GP had given me a prescription for something that I could have picked up cheaply and easily for my local shop, instead of having to go to a proper pharmacy for. :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

Spoke too soon, arm is badly bruised and sore cant sleep on my left and am all coughy and scratchy with intermittant sneezing

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Spoke too soon, arm is badly bruised and sore cant sleep on my left and am all coughy and scratchy with intermittant sneezing

mmm... touch of man flu, play your cards right and you could string that out for a few days! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not taking too much notice of the ongoing Covid enquiry. It seems to turning into a bonanza for lawyers, and a forum for those who seem to blame everyone else.

However, I did note this, reported in various media:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/health-news/no-proof-face-masks-ever-worked-against-covid-claims-ukhsa-boss/ar-AA1kJ5dV

which is slightly different to what she was saying 18 months ago:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/covid-cases-high-uk-jenny-harries-face-masks-indoor-public-transport-shops-omicron-b991759.html

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club