Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

New Covid vaccine - would you take it?

zain611

On 6/16/2021 at 1:17 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I could see me being prepared to use a (proper) mask when sitting in an area at high risk of infections (not just Covid) such as a doctor's or hospital waiting room, but not when I pop in the local shop for a paper!

So, it's looking as if the Government will be taking this approach. Though I agree, I've just emailed my MP as I have concerns for people who may wish to continue their use, either for reasons of vulnerability (e.g. those who have been unable to be vaccinated for clinical reasons) or simply nervousness (which is perfectly understandable.)

The approach up to now has been based on the use of coverings which protect others from the wearer, rather than protect the wearer from others. When face coverings are no longer compulsory  these (e.g. the sort that are £2.50 a hundred off fleabay etc) will clearly give little or no benefit to the wearer.

I suggested the Government gives guidance on what coverings will actually protect the wearer, and ensures that supplies of the appropriate grade are readily available (and affordable, or foc for those with clinical need).

On the 21st June, I posted a facemask (1st class stamp!) to 'No.10', saying I don't need it anymore, "I'm done...", accompanied by a polite letter to the Prime Minister. Like many, if I'm in a high risk environment like a hospital waiting room, yes, I'll put my germ ridden fabric face cover on, but I stopped wearing it otherwise weeks ago.

This nonsense has to stop, and people once again empowered to take responsibility for themselves...

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

On the 21st June, I posted a facemask (1st class stamp!) to 'No.10', saying I don't need it anymore, "I'm done...", accompanied by a polite letter to the Prime Minister. Like many, if I'm in a high risk environment like a hospital waiting room, yes, I'll put my germ ridden fabric face cover on, but I stopped wearing it otherwise weeks ago.

This nonsense has to stop, and people once again empowered to take responsibility for themselves...

I’ve always been sceptical of wearing the standard face mask offerings, particularly outside as many do.The Government has done it’s job by petrifying some in society.

23 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Like many, if I'm in a high risk environment like a hospital waiting room, yes, I'll put my germ ridden fabric face cover on

Lol, if I'm in a place like that, I'll be sure to use a fresh one. The head of our GP practice (who also does work in our local hospital) told me years ago that hospitals were a very dangerous environment for getting infections and should be avoided as much as possible!😀

6 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

... hospitals were a very dangerous environment for getting infections and should be avoided as much as possible!😀

I was in one on Friday getting an 'echocardiogram', the waiting room had a capacity for 12 (socially distanced) people, I was the only one there for nearly an hour. A passing nurse asked me to put my mask on, despite me pointing out I was the only one there, couldn't be bothered debating the issue so sat on my own 10m from potentially anyone, with my mask, hilarious!

2 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I’ve always been sceptical of wearing the standard face mask offerings, particularly outside as many do.

Yes, that really baffles me. Vaguely understandable if you were packed in a crowd (like football terraces used to be). The other week though, I was walking a section of the Cleveland Way along the Yorkshire coast, and came across folk wearing masks. 

27 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, that really baffles me. Vaguely understandable if you were packed in a crowd (like football terraces used to be). The other week though, I was walking a section of the Cleveland Way along the Yorkshire coast, and came across folk wearing masks. 

And the solo driver wearing a face mask.I’m sure they have their reasons🤔

17 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Ah, now that I can understand - seen people doing community transport, health visitors, etc, keeping them on between pick ups/calls.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, williamweb said:

I'm one of those! :laugh:  I dread to think how much bacteria is on the steering wheel and gearknob, let alone the exterior door handles (bird crap plus road spray from farm run off or overflowing drains etc means high chance of faecal matter!) and I have a communal door to pass through, so I'd rather not touch my face while out.  Was never a problem until we had to start wearing masks in supermarkets...so I always fit mine before leaving the house for shopping trips and drive with it.  Can't really see anything through fogged up glasses but it's fine as long as everyone else gets out of the way. :biggrin:   I don't wear one anywhere else though, I've always been a big fan of social distancing anyway lol.

Must admit, I'm in 2 minds as to whether or not I'll keep using a mask for the weekly shop from July 19th...  I hate wearing it and it adds to my (already lengthy!) house-leaving preparations, but I can't have the jab, so even if it offers some protection to the wearer then it might be worth the hassle...  I'm still yet to see any proper numerical based proof about how much protection the medical type disposables offer the wearer, though I suppose it's hard to measure!

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm one of those! :laugh:  I dread to think how much bacteria is on the steering wheel and gearknob, let alone the exterior door handles (bird crap plus road spray from farm run off or overflowing drains etc means high chance of faecal matter!) and I have a communal door to pass through, so I'd rather not touch my face while out.  

So I take from this you were using a mask before covid 😁

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ah, now that I can understand - seen people doing community transport, health visitors, etc, keeping them on between pick ups/calls.

Surely  it’s good practice to wear a fresh face mask at every visit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm still yet to see any proper numerical based proof about how much protection the medical type disposables offer the wearer, though I suppose it's hard to measure!

Yes, I would like to have seen that. They seem to be able to quote figures stating that jabs have prevented "x"  million deaths or "y" million infections (I'm hugely pro-vaccinations, but how do they know that?) but nothing on mask efficacy.

As I mentioned earlier, can't see much benefit to the basic coverings unless everyone wears them, hence my raising the point with my MP regarding "proper" masks for those who need/want them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, williamweb said:

Surly it’s good practice to wear a fresh face mask on every visit.

Good point!

14 minutes ago, williamweb said:

So I take from this you were using a mask before covid 😁

Lol, no I just don't touch my face while I'm out.  Makes me wince seeing people with their fingers in their mouth in the car or the supermarket...and especially leaving public toilets! :laugh: 

8 minutes ago, williamweb said:

Surly it’s good practice to wear a fresh face mask at every visit.

If only things that were 'good practice' were actually routine we wouldn't still be in the midst of a pandemic in the first place... :whistling: 

The only mask to wear regularly if you want it to work 100% is an FFP3 rated one, otherwise, just cover your mouth if you cough, or your nose if you sneeze, just like your grandparents knew to do!

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

If only things were 'good practice' were actually routine we wouldn't still be in the midst of a pandemic in the first place... :whistling: 

Pandemic is over haven’t you heard👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

I was in one on Friday getting an 'echocardiogram', the waiting room had a capacity for 12 (socially distanced) people, I was the only one there for nearly an hour. A passing nurse asked me to put my mask on, despite me pointing out I was the only one there, couldn't be bothered debating the issue so sat on my own 10m from potentially anyone, with my mask, hilarious!

Managed to avoid the hospital during Covid. Taken the Mrs a couple of times though, but lurked outside (carefully avoiding the smoking doctors/nurses, of course!😀)

Been plenty over the last 10 years or so, though, for every variety of heart scan under the sun, and in normal times in the waiting areas at my local you are packed in like sardines.

Just now, williamweb said:

Pandemic is over in this country, haven’t you heard👍

Until the winter spike... :wink:  

2 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

The only mask to wear regularly if you want it to work 100% is an FFP3 rated one, otherwise, just cover your mouth if you cough, or your nose if you sneeze, just like your grandparents knew to do!

It's other people coughing and sneezing that are the problem...  As above, if everyone could follow simple 'good practice' and basic hygiene it'd be better for all of us... :sad: 

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Oh no not another lock-down😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

As above, if everyone could follow simple 'good practice' and basic hygiene it'd be better for all of us... :sad: 

On exiting public toilets, I have been pulling my sleeve down over my hand for decades before grabbing the door handle, most men's hygiene is truly disgusting LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

The only mask to wear regularly if you want it to work 100% is an FFP3 rated one

That's the one. I suggested to my MP that the Government should give that advice. They're a fair bit pricier than the "blue" disposable type though (possibly because they actually work) and I suggested that they might consider making them available foc to the clinically vulnerable. 

You never know, perhaps they will. We'll have to see what follows from the Downing Street briefing this afternoon!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Seriously I wander what are the chances of another lockdown this year?

Just now, williamweb said:

Absolutely 100% NOT!! You can quote me on that. Who the hell will be left to protect? ALL the vulnerable are now covered...

1 minute ago, williamweb said:

No doubt the betting firms will offer you odds on that!😀

I wouldn't be surprised to see tighter restrictions at some point but Boris has pledged "no more lockdowns" so they'll have to call it something else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

On exiting public toilets, I have been pulling my sleeve down over my hand for decades before grabbing the door handle, most men's hygiene is truly disgusting LOL

I never use public toilets.I would rather wear a pair of those padded pants😂Can’t think of the correct word at the moment 😀 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club