Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start button - How do you turn on your engine ?

Zemanel

Hello!

You don't need to perform a two-step operation in order to start your car. Just get inside, put your foot on the brake and press start (on auto gearbox). The same applies for manual, just press the clutch and start it up.

On older vehicles we used to let the fuel pump prime when the ACC mode was enabled by the key before starting the engine to ensure a good start. 

I don't know if anyone noticed but on these newer fords (had a fiesta mk8, now a focus mk4) the fuel pump primes up when the driver's door is opened so that when you push the start button it is already done. They made it really simple by priming the pump with this method. Listen carefully next time you unlock your car and open the drivers door.

Greetings 😄

1 hour ago, DaveT70 said:

The system starts itself, press the clutch, press the button.

If it needs glow plug warm up time it will do so, it will pop up saying "Engine Start Pending, Please Wait"

Mines a Diesel and I don't see that but then again I don't jump in and press button to start straight away. 

11 hours ago, TimST2 said:

All three of our cars have start buttons, but the procedure is different in each case...

Fiesta ST: push button, depress clutch, push button again

Mercedes GLC (auto): push button, depress brake, push button again

Caterham Seven: turn key, push button

In the Caterham I can hear the fuel pump prime after turning the key so wait for that to finish. In the Ford and Mercedes there's a natural pause between pushing the button as you push a pedal anyway.

I can't speak for the Merc, but you're wasting at least 2 seconds in the Fiesta!  Just press the clutch and the start button, no need need to switch on the ignition first.  If anything that's going to confuse the infotainment system/dashcam while they briefly lose power again during starting.

I'm another that has always turned a physical key to ignition for a couple of seconds before turning to start.  In the olden days it helped with fuel pump priming and glow plug heating...it's unnecessary now, but I still do it out of habit! :laugh: 

My Golf won't allow a start until the plug light goes out though...and the same for keyless Ford's, but as long as you keep the clutch pressed, they'll start on their own afterwards.

As for bulbs being damaged in auto setting - no, you won't get a big spike through them as the starter is taking a big chunk of the current.  However, it's always annoyed me that they don't wait until the engine's started, as it's an unnecessary extra strain on the battery.

44 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm another that has always turned a physical key to ignition for a couple of seconds before turning to start.  In the olden days it helped with fuel pump priming and glow plug heating...it's unnecessary now, but I still do it out of habit! :laugh: 

My Golf won't allow a start until the plug light goes out though...and the same for keyless Ford's, but as long as you keep the clutch pressed, they'll start on their own afterwards.

As for bulbs being damaged in auto setting - no, you won't get a big spike through them as the starter is taking a big chunk of the current.  However, it's always annoyed me that they don't wait until the engine's started, as it's an unnecessary extra strain on the battery.

It doesn't help that you don't have the option of switching off the Drl's when stationary for a period of time when someone decides to take 45 mins doing a ten minute shop 🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

It doesn't help that you don't have the option of switching off the Drl's when stationary for a period of time when someone decides to take 45 mins doing a ten minute shop 🙄

Hence when I had DRLs fitted to mine, yes, you have full control over them LOL

295446052_DRLswitch.thumb.jpg.6a0a4b763637317b68f47bcbab5a5837.jpg

Amazing how long this thread has become! 

The variety of posts did make me think it would be a good idea if starting methods were more standardised - even from the same manufacturer. We had 2 petrol  SEAT's at one time (Mrs still has hers) both key start, but one needed you to dip the clutch, the other didn't, and with one you just turned the key and released it immediately, car started when it was ready, the other you had to keep the key turned until it fired).

All the keyless start Fords I've had have been the same, though - depress clutch, press and release button, car starts when ready (after slight glowplug delay for diesels).

Auto petrol.  If I'm driving off, I get in, press the brake, hold the button til it starts.

If I just need electrics on for say a tyre pump I'll press the button without touching the brake.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Amazing how long this thread has become! 

The variety of posts did make me think it would be a good idea if starting methods were more standardised - even from the same manufacturer. We had 2 petrol  SEAT's at one time (Mrs still has hers) both key start, but one needed you to dip the clutch, the other didn't, and with one you just turned the key and released it immediately, car started when it was ready, the other you had to keep the key turned until it fired).

All the keyless start Fords I've had have been the same, though - depress clutch, press and release button, car starts when ready (after slight glowplug delay for diesels).

They're all pretty much the same these days, the only variable seems to be the person who's starting the car! And any differences are what the Owner's Manuals are for 😉 

2 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

Auto petrol.  If I'm driving off, I get in, press the brake, hold the button til it starts.

I haven't tried an Auto Focus but I'm pretty sure you don't need to keep the button held until it starts.  One press while keeping the brake down should see it start itself.  Saves all that unnecessary extra strain in your index finger! :wink:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I haven't tried an Auto Focus but I'm pretty sure you don't need to keep the button held until it starts.  One press while keeping the brake down should see it start itself.  Saves all that unnecessary extra strain in your index finger! :wink:

Tom, I'm getting too old for all this, how hard is it to start a dam car these days?? I get in, twist the key, and off I go. Years ago use to envy the 'new' start button on cars, if this is the hassle they cause, you're all welcome to them 😁

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, I'm getting too old for all this, how hard is it to start a dam car these days?? I get in, twist the key, and off I go. Years ago use to envy the 'new' start button on cars, if this is the hassle they cause, you're all welcome to them 😁

It's only the older people creating the hassle...  :wink:

It'll start from a simple press as if it was a light switch...  But those of us old enough to remember ignition barrels have got in the habit of having to hold the key in the start position until it fires.  It's just not necessary with keyless start but no one reads the manual! :laugh:

As for having to press the clutch to start, that's good practice anyway, but has been required on cars with even keyed ignitions for the last decade...my Golf has a keyed ignition (they're not as keen on thefts as Ford) but still needs the clutch pressed.

I thought I wouldn't like keyless start, as I was so used to key in ignition. I am so used to it now, I won't go back. No worries about finding the key. Unlock car, which can be done in pocket, then get in and go. No worries about finding the key, you can even drive without one, if the passenger has the key in their pocket. First car I drove with it was my parents 2016 Mk3 Fabia SEL. The button is where you normally put key in on steering column.

The only downside is the keyfob battery doesn't last that long, and there can be security issues if you leave them close to you front door. You can overcome this by using Faraday pouches or simply a metal tin.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I can't speak for the Merc, but you're wasting at least 2 seconds in the Fiesta!  Just press the clutch and the start button, no need need to switch on the ignition first.  If anything that's going to confuse the infotainment system/dashcam while they briefly lose power again during starting.

You've actually got me wondering if I actually do that or not now!

• Like 1

How did this become a big thread?

Obviously Too technical for me to contribute!!
smh 

I like it.  Pressing a button is cool.😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

I like it.  Pressing a button is cool.😀

cool-button.jpg.34ba542180d5a5e08b9df8e4847bc58c.jpg

• Haha 1

I open the door, sit in the car, put my belt on, set bluetooth on my phone to connect with sync3, push once the start/stop button without foot at clutch pedal, wait to turn off most of the check warnings, push the clutch pedal deep end and press the start/stop button again instantly and the engine runs.Wait for 2-3 minutes idle and then i press clutch put 1st gear and slowly move on to work...i change gears in 2.000 rpm (diesel MK4 Focus) and enjoy the trip.

In greece we say '' Όποιος βιάζεται σκοντάφτει'' which means who is in such a hurry falls over!

We also say ''Όποιος βιάζεται γερνάει γρήγορα'' which means who is in a such a hurry becomes an old man faster!

Life is too short to be in such a hurry....

Life is too short to be unhappy...

Good night everyone!

8 minutes ago, Alexis94040 said:

I open the door, sit in the car, put my belt on, set bluetooth on my phone to connect with sync3, push once the start/stop button without foot at clutch pedal, wait to turn off most of the check warnings, push the clutch pedal deep end and press the start/stop button again instantly and the engine runs.Wait for 2-3 minutes idle and then i press clutch put 1st gear and slowly move on to work...i change gears in 2.000 rpm (diesel MK4 Focus) and enjoy the trip.

I would be at my destination by the time all that faffing was completed 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

I would be at my destination by the time all that faffing was completed 🤣

You have a point on that but...that's me.. 😀😀

From the owners manual, I knew it would come in useful one day 😂

Start info.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:28 PM, TimST2 said:

You've actually got me wondering if I actually do that or not now!

So having gone out for a very rare drive today (to get vaccinated!), I can confirm that I was talking rubbish. It turns out I get in, press the clutch, press the button and drive off. Who knew! :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I love these threads, genuinely.  Enthusiast threads on things like how to press a button.  😀

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Guy Heaton said:

I love these threads, genuinely.  Enthusiast threads on things like how to press a button.  😀

Next up...  Auto lights switch (for those without Mk4Fo/Mk8Fi)...do you leave it on Auto permanently, or do you switch to off position every time you stop like an absolute madman? 😮 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Next up...  Auto lights switch (for those without Mk4Fo/Mk8Fi)...do you leave it on Auto permanently, or do you switch to off position every time you stop like an absolute madman? 😮 

Oh dear Tom, you do realise what you've just done?? 🤣 (a very worthy 2000th post LOL)

1696698751_canofworms.thumb.jpg.cbe5d1f6b2aafa88a8c1beae799e5f15.jpg

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club