Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

I do like Smooth radio.  One station that plays almost no modern music!!

• Like 1

Talking of radio stations I absolutely love Brain Gell radio. Pure metal 24/7

• Like 1

Finally my Focus is getting lowered tomorrow.

Cant wait to see what she looks like!!

Not sure how I did today but I managed 40mpg I am thinking the unleaded I used must have been burning slower. Normally I see Max 37 or high 35. Maybe the Lexus is finally getting warmed up due to motorway miles this past week.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Commencal24 said:

Finally my Focus is getting lowered tomorrow.

Cant wait to see what she looks like!!

A couple of Foci have been lowered in the "don't like" thread, but not in the intentional sense... :laugh:

31 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

Not sure how I did today but I managed 40mpg I am thinking the unleaded I used must have been burning slower. Normally I see Max 37 or high 35. Maybe the Lexus is finally getting warmed up due to motorway miles this past week.

If it has been off the road for a while then it is probably just getting itself settled back into regular use again, and the fuel economy is increasing as everything clears itself out.

If it has been off the road for a while then it is probably just getting itself settled back into regular use again, and the fuel economy is increasing as everything clears itself out.

Yeah also I think going down hill helped. As well. Had a use of the power this morning and do tempted to get an induction kit in there the sound of stock is awesome but imagine what a kit will do.

• Like 1

I shared the joy my tiny motorcycle brings to everyone who see's it with 3 car mechanics this morning. I rode over to drop off the keys to my focus so they can replace the broke coil spring. Spent 15min laughing and chatting with them about exhausts and mods on my "cute but mad" looking little bike. 

I like to think I've brightened up their morning on an otherwise dreich and deary day. ;-) 

I do like my MPG calculation for the 623! Not bad for a 2.3L automatic, especially considering I haven't exactly been driving it like a little old woman either!!

wp_ss_20170331_0002.thumb.png.5cae9ce11d90599d062fc622042ea02c.png

I do like the Mk1 seems to have more oomph since it had it's oil and filter service.:smile: It only was supposed to be an oil service but I had a spare air and fuel filter anyway, so I did those too. Something appeared to be missing last week when I accelerated, I don't think when my Mum borrows it and makes her ¾ mile journeys, it does a lot for it's well being.:mellow:

When i adopted Pipper, I said to the rescue that I would get them everything they have on their "Wish List".  I do like going over there this afternoon with Pipper and the first installment of the "Wish list" items,.:smile:  My initial idea was to get everything all at once but in the quantities I'm buying for them, i would need at least a Luton or two to take it there in one go:mellow:  So it's a Focus boot full at a time.

• Like 1

I know this is a ford forum but I feel quite at home here. So will be posting here. Quite astonished again by the economy okay there was traffic on the m40 but I left work with 65miles left and got home with 23 miles left in the tank. Almost exactly my mileage home. Last time I did something similar in the focus I was sitting myself when I got home as I was on red with 10miles left to get home. Sure a 2.5 v6 cannot be more economical than a 1.6 petrol. I refuse to believe this

Collecting dad's car tomorrow, never had a car like it before (Aston Martin) so it'll definitely be a new experience!

Happy to post pics if anyone is interested, of course. :smile:

Finished school for easter today, but unofrusntely most of my holiday will be taken up with revision, my exams start in a month...

Also having a nice break to Berlin next week which I'm looking forward to, technically it counts as revision as I can practice my German! :biggrin:

I'm not sure whether to put this in the like or "don't like" thread, considering it is the Focus' non-Ford replacement further to its MOT failure today...  But, given the bargain price I will say it is more of a like than a dislike.

After a few cans of Guinness and a lack of responses from Gumtree sellers of prospective vehicles, I decided to go on eBay and see what they had to offer...  Well, I found this ending in a couple of hours and at that time sitting at the start bid of £99.  It ended at £132 and guess who won the auction?  If you guessed this guy, then you'd be correct.

It has 2 1/2 months MOT, almost 200,000 miles on the clock and battered bodywork.  The only things it does have in its favour is that it has a turbo diesel engine and a decent interior (from what I can see). 

At the price I can probably almost completely cover it with the sale of the Focus for spares/repairs so I won't really be spending anything on it at the end of the day, and at the least it will be 2 months of motoring and then it can go the way of the dodo and I'll buy something else.  Rinse and repeat, as I always do.

Can't say I'm overjoyed, but with a bit of tidying up it should be a decent vehicle, and having owned a V40 before I know they are tough cars that will keep on going well past their "best before" dates.  Plus, I've been looking for an estate for a while now as both the Peugeot and Rover are saloons so useless when it comes to picking up a washing machine or a piece of furniture.  Granted I'd have preferred a Focus or Mondeo estate but hey-ho.

2 hours ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Collecting dad's car tomorrow, never had a car like it before (Aston Martin) so it'll definitely be a new experience!

Happy to post pics if anyone is interested, of course. :smile:

Finished school for easter today, but unofrusntely most of my holiday will be taken up with revision, my exams start in a month...

Also having a nice break to Berlin next week which I'm looking forward to, technically it counts as revision as I can practice my German! :biggrin:

Snap, I'll be picking up a new car tomorrow as well...  Mind you, mine is costing £132 as opposed to your Dad's which probably has a few zeros on the end of that!!

I would be very interested to see pictures though, so please do post them.

Remember to make sure he puts you on the insurance!! :wink:

3 hours ago, Ken.K said:

I know this is a ford forum but I feel quite at home here. So will be posting here. Quite astonished again by the economy okay there was traffic on the m40 but I left work with 65miles left and got home with 23 miles left in the tank. Almost exactly my mileage home. Last time I did something similar in the focus I was sitting myself when I got home as I was on red with 10miles left to get home. Sure a 2.5 v6 cannot be more economical than a 1.6 petrol. I refuse to believe this

Hey, don't worry about that - I post more about my Peugeot and Rover than I do the Ford, and now I don't even own one (well, not for long)... :mellow:

15 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Snap, I'll be picking up a new car tomorrow as well...  Mind you, mine is costing £132 as opposed to your Dad's which probably has a few zeros on the end of that!!

I would be very interested to see pictures though, so please do post them.

Remember to make sure he puts you on the insurance!! :wink:

Ooh sounds interesting! Can you say what it is? :tongue: Sure, will do!

Haha I wish! To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with my Focus, not sure I'm ready to drive anything faster and wouldn't want to park it! I had a bit of a parking fail the other day, turned too tightly into a space and touched mirrors with the ancient Punto next to me, it was very unnerving being so close to touching the bodywork, I really messed it up but managed to rectify without causing any damage. I haven't hit anything yet and don't plan to for a while yet! It has put me on edge a bit generally though, and my driving in general has suffered as a result (normally I'm pretty good) but hopefully it won't take me long to get over it. 

Strange how I feel more comfortable parallel parking than bay parking..I just need to make sure I am a bit further away before pulling into a space to avoid 'wedging' myself in.

It's a Volvo estate, 1999 in green. I'm guessing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooh sounds interesting! Can you say what it is? tongue.png Sure, will do!
Haha I wish! To be honest, I'm perfectly happy with my Focus, not sure I'm ready to drive anything faster and wouldn't want to park it! I had a bit of a parking fail the other day, turned too tightly into a space and touched mirrors with the ancient Punto next to me, it was very unnerving being so close to touching the bodywork, I really messed it up but managed to rectify without causing any damage. I haven't hit anything yet and don't plan to for a while yet! It has put me on edge a bit generally though, and my driving in general has suffered as a result (normally I'm pretty good) but hopefully it won't take me long to get over it. 
Strange how I feel more comfortable parallel parking than bay parking..I just need to make sure I am a bit further away before pulling into a space to avoid 'wedging' myself in.

Takes a while to get your eye in when it comes to parking. You just need to get your head around the turning circle and you will be sorted. Always remember if you do happen to catch a car on your way past it and you're not sure how to get off it then just reverse the exact way you came, you can't really do much more damage going back the way you came. Maybe don't park next to the Aston for a while though [emoji6]

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

It's a Volvo estate, 1999 in green. I'm guessing...

You're psychic!! :ohmy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Ooh sounds interesting! Can you say what it is? :tongue: Sure, will do!

It's a 1999 Volvo V40, either a project or "drive it as it is then scrap it".  Not quite sure which yet, but I'm pleased with the price.

It does knock your confidence when something like that happens, but at parking speed you wouldn't have caused any damage and it is easily rectified.  When bay parking (if you are pulling in nose first) you need to leave a lot of room and "swing out" first in order to avoid getting close to cars on either side.  If you cut it too tight then you can end up getting yourself stuck at an awkward angle and then making a tit of yourself trying to get out, as I did a few times soon after passing my test... :laugh:

In tight situations it is best to reverse park, but I have a hang-up about that as I doubt myself when reversing for some reason, when in reality I am actually very good at it...  Same as parallel parking, I can do it pretty well but always avoid doing it.  Whoever wired my brain was not a qualified electrician, put it that way!!

You'll be back to your usual driving self soon enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Takes a while to get your eye in when it comes to parking. You just need to get your head around the turning circle and you will be sorted. Always remember if you do happen to catch a car on your way past it and you're not sure how to get off it then just reverse the exact way you came, you can't really do much more damage going back the way you came. Maybe don't park next to the Aston for a while though emoji6.png

Yes it certainly does, I'm not a nervous driver at all normally, quite happy to drive on motorways etc, but parking has always put me in a bit of a panic! I've been passed 7 months now so it's getting easier, but that particular time I just didn't give enough room to swing in to the space, it was a narrow multistory... I park in it regularly so will try and avoid that certain area in the future! Luckily nobody was watching when I was making a fool of myself! Haha many i shouldn't! I plan to get it evicted from the car port when I come for the Focus but not sure what dad would think about that! :laugh:

10 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

It's a 1999 Volvo V40, either a project or "drive it as it is then scrap it".  Not quite sure which yet, but I'm pleased with the price.

It does knock your confidence when something like that happens, but at parking speed you wouldn't have caused any damage and it is easily rectified.  When bay parking (if you are pulling in nose first) you need to leave a lot of room and "swing out" first in order to avoid getting close to cars on either side.  If you cut it too tight then you can end up getting yourself stuck at an awkward angle and then making a tit of yourself trying to get out, as I did a few times soon after passing my test... :laugh:

In tight situations it is best to reverse park, but I have a hang-up about that as I doubt myself when reversing for some reason, when in reality I am actually very good at it...  Same as parallel parking, I can do it pretty well but always avoid doing it.  Whoever wired my brain was not a qualified electrician, put it that way!!

You'll be back to your usual driving self soon enough.

Oh sounds good, 1999 is the best year. :wink: Yes indeed, on that same day I had a hairy moment turning left out of school, it's a sharp turn onto a 40mph road, and whilst I was turning my hand slipped off the wheel and I cam a bit too close to the car going the opposite way...teaches me to have one hand on the wheel as I was changing gear...could've ended badly! Maybe that contributed to my parking fail! 

Yes I've never reverse bay parked, too scared to haha although generally I'm fine at reversing, and I'm also fine at parallel parking although I try and avoid it if possible. Basically I try and avoid any parking! The spaces at school are massive so luckily I don't have to deal with tiny car parks very often. Yes I hope so, won't be using the car till at least Monday but hopefully then I'll be back to normal! 

Thanks guys! :smile:

• Like 1

On 28/03/2017 at 8:38 PM, jmurray01 said:

Again, you are much more generous than most employers!  With my company it works on a scaling system based on your time served.  Under 6 months you get no sick pay for the first three days then SSP comes in, and you get (from memory) 1 month fully paid when signed off.  Between 6-12 months it is still unpaid for the first three days but you get 3 months fully paid when signed off, and over 12 months (in my case) all sick leave is fully paid and you can be signed off for up to 6 months paid. 

I could be slightly wrong there as I haven't got my contract to hand at the minute, but that's roughly how it stands. 

My employer, local council, pays full pay from day 1 for the first 6 months of sickness and then half pay for the next 6 months, which if you are GENUINELY ill is a great thing. (I was off for about 5 months 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with MS) but a few folk really take the p*** and take days off 'ill' when there's nothing wrong with them. Recently one employee took 2 days off ill after a Saturday stag-do and another day off a couple of months ago because he was getting a new couch delivered!!! :angry:

My employer, local council, pays full pay from day 1 for the first 6 months of sickness and then half pay for the next 6 months, which if you are GENUINELY ill is a great thing. (I was off for about 5 months 6 years ago when I was diagnosed with MS) but a few folk really take the p*** and take days off 'ill' when there's nothing wrong with them. Recently one employee took 2 days off ill after a Saturday stag-do and another day off a couple of months ago because he was getting a new couch delivered!!! angry.png

Same sickness policy as the NHS by the sounds of things. Very lucky to be paid like that, I had to take 18 months off when I broke my back so I only had to have 6 months unpaid. Some people really do take the mick with sick days, and parental leave/dependants leave.

Happy to post pics if anyone is interested, of course. smile.png
Also having a nice break to Berlin next week which I'm looking forward to, technically it counts as revision as I can practice my German! biggrin.png

Where in the world are you? I saw a brand new Aston today, it was a lovely grey on a 17 plate which I've never seen around here before. Amazing engine noise from it especially when you are on the high street with building either side of the road

• Like 2

I do like seeing a brand new red Ford Mustang parked in someone's driveway as I drove to Dingwall today for the Volvo!  Very nice looking vehicle... :cool:

I also like picking up said Volvo, and although it has various "bodge" repairs to the exterior and some missing plastics on the interior, it should clean up fairly well and the missing/bodged parts can be replaced cheaply. 

The main thing is that the engine runs like new and the gearbox and clutch are in good working order.  I did initially get a fright whilst driving it home as the fuel gauge slowly dropped from half a tank to empty, making me think it was leaking fuel!!  Then as soon as it hit the empty mark it started to go up again to 1/2 and stayed there for the rest of the journey.  Must be a dodgy gauge or sender unit, but thankfully not a leak.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club