Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy chat, the future of car propulsion

StephenFord

Extinction Rebellion - my response

After seeing the latest reports of ER activity on the news (and I don't even live in London), I have decided to do the following.

This weeks household recycling (and I'm fastidious about recycling!), will be put into a black plastic bag and disposed of in my landfill bin.

I have an errand to run in a DIY store of which there is one relatively close to me. I will instead visit one 20 miles away, because I just fancy a run out in my petrol car for the hell of it.

I am going to borrow a 'lawn' sprinkler and turn it on for 24 hours on my back lawn (I have never watered a lawn in my life!) Oh, no cost, NI has 'free' water.

Thank you ER for your inspiration - keep up the good work in moralising, and making me 'aware'!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StephenFord said:

This weeks household recycling

You should make one last effort to recycle. Cut up your recycle bin and put the bits in someone elses bin to be recyled 🤣

We all know by now it ends up on a beach in India anyhow !

• Haha 2

Somehow I don't think XR members frequent car forums... :unsure:  

What annoys me with XR is that they don't have any actual suggestions or costed plans for moving forward within their timescale.  I do agree with them that the planet's f*cked and action does need to be taken as soon as possible...but I don't believe clogging up roads full of poor people just trying to go about their day is in any way going to bother the government...let alone make any difference to climate change.

What I much prefer are the smaller targeted campaigns...  Jo Lycett got Yop to commit to changing their coloured bottles (can't be recycled) for clear bottles (easily recyclable) within the next year using his TV programme last week.  Monty Don is explaining why gardeners should change from peat-based to peat-free compost, and not to buy any new black plastic pots & trays, using his TV programme.  

Indeed.  I want to do something about climate change and I think small changes make a difference, but just ***** people off acheives nothing.

• Like 2

Extinction Rebellion could be the ideal people to set up their own perfect world!

ive reduced the amount of diesel i use to work. thats my bit to help the planet. 

Screenshot_20210824-135156_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Somehow I don't think XR members frequent car forums... :unsure:  

Come on Tom, you're doing a Tony Blair, and sexing them up LOL Extinction Rebellion is ER. Those other initials were a derivative of sporty Ford models in the 80s, of which I owned both an XR2, and an XR3i. Their fuel consumption was atrocious, so delighted to have contributed to ERs issues 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, YOG said:

Extinction Rebellion could be the ideal people to set up their own perfect world!

Surely it should be a battery powered rocket, still, got a link to the CrowdFunding page to send the nutters there?? 😁

Pretty sure it's XR...  ER is the American version of Casualty! :tongue:

Turns out XR is also now an iPhone which I'm sure you'll be delighted with. :laugh:

Makes me wonder what an ST will be in years to come...oh wait...it's already a feminine hygiene product! :unsure:

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Pretty sure it's XR...  ER is the American version of Casualty! :tongue:

I know Tom, I'm being facetious - I absolutely refuse to give that bunch of misguided nutters any kudos whatsoever in a 'cool' name. Besides, being called, 'ER', (emergency ...) should be right up their alley LOL

• Like 1

I've gone from an average of 29mpg to 49mpg.  The missus has just signed for a new Yaris as they threw such a good deal at us and in her test drive, giving it beans, she still averaged 62mpg.  So she'll improve by over 20mpg too. 

We are totally saving the planet 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

The missus has just signed for a new Yaris as they threw such a good deal at us and in her test drive, giving it beans, she still averaged 62mpg. 

I take it that's not the GR then!😀

• Haha 1

https://order-order.com/page/2/

Before Extinction Rebellion’s brave foot soldiers continue saving the world by blocking ambulances and smashing windows, they might want to check whether their leader has any errands to run – as group co-founder Gail Bradbrook revealed on talkRadio that she still drives a diesel car. This is, of course, the same climate-saving hippie who flew 11,000 miles to Costa Rica on a luxury holiday to solve “a health issue”.

Speaking to host Cristo Foufas, Bradbook claimed that she “can’t afford” an electric vehicle, though she would happily accept a £5,000 donation to convert her diesel to an electric motor, and that her current car was “claimed to be […] really green” anyway. Apparently she has no choice other than to rely on a diesel to ferry her children to sports fixtures. Saving the planet can be so inconvenient. As always, do as I say, not as I do…

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, eddie eastwood said:

as group co-founder Gail Bradbrook revealed on talkRadio that she still drives a diesel car. 

As an avid fan of TalkRadio, I heard this interview live yesterday! Cristo (presenter) ripped her to shreds. ER really are a bunch of hypocritical eejits, just as Harry & Meghan are, telling us all to 'save the planet', whilst flying on a 1000mile round trip on a private jet to play polo.

I have no issue at all folk traveling on a private jet, or driving a diesel, but I do wish they'd shut the f**k up preaching to the rest of us...

• Like 5

I just don't listen to talkradio or e.r. 

So I don't pay any attention to what they are or are not doing. Do my own thing thing and stuff them . Easy. 

I've got more important things to worry about. I'm currently trying to watch the guy Martin prog  and the download is very slow. First world problems of  internet speed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched Guy Martin's programme.  And yes while EV won't work for all, how much nicer would cities be if every bus, taxi, delivery van was an EV?

1 hour ago, Guy Heaton said:

Just watched Guy Martin's programme.  And yes while EV won't work for all, how much nicer would cities be if every bus, taxi, delivery van was an EV?

I think that our cities would look horrible! All those dam chargers littered all over the place - at least with a petrol station, you have to drive to a specific site, the 'high street' doesn't have a row of petrol pumps lining it. Though, many people think that windmills are ugly, I love them, so, what do I know LOL

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

All those dam chargers littered all over the place

Not to mention the hundreds of feet of extension leads all getting tangled up. I was going to get an EV but I could only find a 50Ft lead and the shops are further away than that !!! 🤣

• Haha 1

Buses, taxis, vans would all charge at their depots.

All the taxis in Edinburgh are now EV and the air is better for it.

We have to start getting away from the idea of all or nothing. If. EV works, use it.  It's like working from home.  If it works for you and it works for your company, do it.

• Like 3

Ford transit custom hybrid petrol/elec is becoming popular now, and the new 'e' transit van full electric is coming next year. 

As time goes on petrol stations will be harder to find. Since 2000 the UK has lost 35% of stations  -4700 down to just over 8000.  In another decade or two those EV drivers will be laughing at ICE cars owners and their range anxiety. 😄

31 minutes ago, Mark-UK said:

As time goes on petrol stations will be harder to find.

Can be pretty difficult already in some remote places.

I don't live anywhere remote, but even so, my usual Tesco filling station has been shut for 3 months for major work (replacing the storage tanks I believe) and it's been surprising what problems that has caused, with queues at other stations in the wider area.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Can be pretty difficult already in some remote places.

I don't live anywhere remote, but even so, my usual Tesco filling station has been shut for 3 months for major work (replacing the storage tanks I believe) and it's been surprising what problems that has caused, with queues at other stations in the wider area.

They must be expecting to sell plenty of fuel long into the future with that sort of commitment!  Unless they're fitting EV chargers instead. :unsure: 

I've seen rural filling stations in decline around here for years, but I'm surprised such a large percentage have gone across the country now.  

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They must be expecting to sell plenty of fuel long into the future with that sort of commitment!  Unless they're fitting EV chargers instead. :unsure: 

if the tanks need replacement (which is not cheap as you suggest!) they've not much choice if they want to carry on selling petrol/diesel at that site!

My company used to buy and store bulk vehicle fuel (originally because of Government diktat regarding strategic stocks in time of national emergency). That was eventually lifted and as the tanks fell due for replacement we filled them in and issued drivers with fuel cards.

Still awaiting EV chargers at my local Tesco, though. That will certainly influence my thinking on eventually moving at least one of our cars to EV as the Mrs spends a minimum of an hour there at least once a week!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club