Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 EcoBoost 'wet belt' issue

LiloLea

6 minutes ago, Tizer said:

I'm out and about just now so can't check but given that these Engines will have either a two stage or muilt stage Solenoid and Duty Cycle controlled Pump,are you sure about that Tom.

That information came from Wilco...so I would generally trust it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Gets a mention in this older thread, too:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/98500-ecoboost-low-oil-pressure/

It would be helpful for clarity to see a diagram of the oil circulation. There seem to be loads on the web for engines of all kinds, but I've not found one for the 1.0 ecoboost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

There seem to be loads on the web for engines of all kinds, but I've not found one for the 1.0 ecoboost.

If you find one can you send a copy to Ford ? They don't have a clue how it works either 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Thanks Tom, I thought you meant the Pump was designed to completely bypass the Filter.

oil Filters have always had Bypass Valves incorporated in them for as long as I remember, even the Canisters of replaceable paper ones and judging by the strength of their Springs, the Filter would need to be very clogged up for them to open and there would still be a degree of filtration of the oil because the paper extends to to outside of the canister, it is not a complete bypass.

• Like 2

Further to an earlier post and for any doubters, here is a photo of the Servo Vacuum Sensor on my car. I don't know if the 1.0 Engined cars are the same. 

It’s the white connector at the bottom of the Servo. 

DSC_0941.JPG

So please indulge my ignorance - how is the vacuum pump powered? Is it spun by oil pressure?

I would have thought that it was only lubricated by engine oil, so would need to be run for a fairly significant amount of time with a blocked oil feed for it to seize and stop generating vacuum? Unless I'm wrong and it's powered by pressurised oil.

If it's the former then I heavily suspect that other symptoms would rear their heads first before the vacuum pump seizes and stops the brake assistance...

1 hour ago, dontpannic said:

how is the vacuum pump powered? I

Now I'm no expert on this, but as far as I know the vacuum pump is directly driven off the exhaust camshaft.

https://www.focusfanatics.com/attachments/1-0l-cylinder-head-png.318558/

drive.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ford OE Vacuum Pump 1.0 EcoBoost - Fiesta Mk8

vacuum pump.JPG

18 minutes ago, unofix said:

Now I'm no expert on this, but as far as I know the vacuum pump is directly driven off the exhaust camshaft.

You're too modest!😀 But yes, you can see how it's driven in the video I linked about halfway down page 9.

• Like 2

Couple of photos of debris. One of vacuum pump gauze blockage (not mine, but of one that failed) and one of the debris I removed from my own turbocharger gauze filter (wrecked the turbo).

In Turbo filter.jpg

new-and-old-vacuum-pump.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I blame the American's and their dam consumer rights and class action annoyance - otherwise all the designed to fail stuff would be making Ford Europe the money just like the accountants expected - no wonder they have to move to budget suspension these days

On the subject of Gauze Filters getting blocked, it is not just cars with Wet Belts that suffer from this. 

The early1.6 TDCI Turbos had a high failure rate because the Gauze got blocked. Ford's official fix for this was to remove the Gauze after replacing Turbo and Pipework and the Gauze was never fitted to later Engines - These Engines did not have Wet Belts.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 11:18 PM, unofix said:

https://www.focusfanatics.com/attachments/1-0l-cylinder-head-png.318558/

drive.JPG

Awesome, so I guess my next query is if it’s mechanically driven by the camshaft and lubricated by the oil, if shredded parts of the belt get through the sump pickup and the gauze on the pump feed gets blocked then surely it’ll start exhibiting symptoms of failure well in advance of it failing to produce vacuum. 

Unless of course I’m being really dim and missing something obvious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just came across this reference to the vacuum pump issue:

https://www.aaronsautos.co.uk/what-caused-this-vacuum-pump-to-fail/

I note it says this in that article:

The engine oil in this particular engine had not been changed regularly and possibly not even been the correct specification oil.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The engine oil in this particular engine had not been changed regularly and possibly not even been the correct specification oil.

Yes. I was checking mine the other day, still nice and clean after its 12 month service at an official Ford dealer using the correct oil according to the invoice.

I've used them for years, and am pretty confident they use the right stuff, but how do you really know, particularly if using a non-franchise garage?

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just came across this reference to the vacuum pump issue:

https://www.aaronsautos.co.uk/what-caused-this-vacuum-pump-to-fail/

Given that the amount of Vacuum in the Servo is monitored, at least on the 1.5 Dragon Engines and probably on the 1.0 Engines as well, I don't believe that there was not some sort of warning for no Servo assistance.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tizer said:

, I don't believe that there was not some sort of warning for no Servo assistance.

That's an interesting point, VW Group cars do throw up a warning, I believe.

• Like 1

I'm sure Ford cars do as well but the drama queens and clickbait journalists have never mentioned it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tizer said:

I'm sure Ford cars do as well but the drama queens and clickbait journalists have never mentioned it.

Given that you get a warning for not combing your hair (joking but you know what I mean) you would think so, but I've been having a search out of curiosity and only seen mention on VW, Audi, Skoda, etc forums.

I have experienced servo failure on a Ford years ago (leak in vacuum pipe) but that was obviously long before all this warning stuff.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

• Like 1

It only takes two seconds to pull the vac pipe off and test it... :smile: 

Although I must admit I don't think I've ever seen a servo warning on a Ford, or even a fault code for it.  Tizer's photo was the first I'd heard of them on the Mk4 Focus.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

It only takes two seconds to pull the vac pipe off and test it... :smile: 

Although I must admit I don't think I've ever seen a servo warning on a Ford, or even a fault code for it.  Tizer's photo was the first I'd heard of them on the Mk4 Focus.

I haven't pulled the Vacuum Pipe off to prove a point but when I last had FORScan running I did check the Vacuum in the Servo and it sits in the high 90's constantly and drops about 20 when braking.

• Like 1

Know there's a warning message to stop safely. 🤣🤣.  shows on transit when one of the vacuum sensors fail electrically or looses vacuum. Guess other models similar message. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iantt said:

Know there's a warning message to stop safely

Example below......

brown.JPG

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club