Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

Thanks Lenny that honestly gives me hope on what career to persue. You don't know have how much stress I went through just starting my masters on what career to persue. Really thank you for that [emoji3590][emoji106]. 
Can I ask what you started working as when you got in the industry? I'm starting to think now of going into a phd in the same course as my masters then hopefully be able to get into the research and development department. Biopharmaceuticals sounds very relevant to my studies so hopefully might be able to get in there. Only thing is if I will be able to get in first time or start off in another job in the same company and get experience and work my way up. 
When you're at the top don't forget us! I'd love a new car in 10 years time [emoji39]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Thanks Lenny that honestly gives me hope on what career to persue. You don't know have how much stress I went through just starting my masters on what career to persue. Really thank you for that ❤️👍

Can I ask what you started working as when you got in the industry? I'm starting to think now of going into a phd in the same course as my masters then hopefully be able to get into the research and development department. Biopharmaceuticals sounds very relevant to my studies so hopefully might be able to get in there. Only thing is if I will be able to get in first time or start off in another job in the same company and get experience and work my way up. 

My guess for your starting position would be lab analysist work which involves testing samples from the manufacturing to ensure it is within a set spec then giving them the instruction to continue; I've saw people transition to R&D through that position,

My pathway was different; I started working in a veterinary pharmaceutical back seventeen years ago when I was 17 myself I started in the industry just by chance; I had moved 100km away from home to be with the wife which I had just met back then and the pharmaceutical plant at that time was local to her home I was originally an apprentice carpenter;

I didn't do college as I was then paying 850per month rent living 100km from home working in pharmaceutical I learned within the industry, started off on a production line brushing tablets in to blister packs before the foil went on top 😅 done two years of that then moved on to manufacturing where I was taking raw materials from the warehouse and dispensing in to reactors to manufacture the pharmaceutical in accordance with the batch record, I done six years of that then the place got bought over globally in 2010 making us redundant through a merging of sites, I then bought the focus and created some guides to keep busy; six months later I got in to the human health pharmaceutical plant where I soon discovered the much better pay; 

I started there as a chemical process operator much the same as veterinary manufacturing the pharmaceutical in accordance with the batch record, the industry involves alot of checks everything is sampled when it arrives on site and tested in the lab prior to approval for use by the production planner whom then writes the batch record which I then follow along with the use of various equipment to manufacture the pharmaceutical which I then provide a sample to the lab for approval. 

Alot of my job was hands on training some things such as separation of organic and aqueous phases cant be fully learned in books it takes time with someone showing to get it right aswell as getting the temperature just right to maximise yield, I now operate up to four processes in one building on my own and train others whom want to learn, some people come in to this line of work for the money and dont want to know anything; I don't mix well with those individuals there sloppy with there work and don't achieve maximum yields creating alot of waste and costing money.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Micro said:

When you're at the top don't forget us! I'd love a new car in 10 years time emoji39.png

So would I 😅 after all my efforts I'm still average which I suppose to be fair isint bad to be able to survive in today's world is almost becoming a privilege let's be honest lol 

But I'll explain; I have a stay at home wife whom looks after our three kids since the day they were born, the cost of childcare aswell as my inability to trust anyone atall with our kids means that I'm the only earner in the home and pay a mortgage of aswell as providing for the entire family which I'm happy to do without any government assistance, 

All said then; yes the job pays well but when your like me; providing for a wife and three children we probably equal up with a family where both parents work as supervisors in Tesco paying child care for there three kids, 

That's why my advice to Zain is your young with no ties mate, get high up in the industry that pays well then make other life choices around that and I wish you the best. 

I'm thankful for my position and I really enjoy my job, I'm glad I can go to work safe in the knowledge my kids are safe at home with there very dedicated mother or happy Learning in school while the job takes care of the Mortgage and Bill's, 

I don't go on holidays atall cant afford it, nor can I get a new car such as a V8 M5 or A6 like my fellow colleges drive as there wives are school teachers but i get to do the best for my family and play a part in making things which help other people's lives. 

• Like 2

I do like enjoying a glass (or five) of red wine on my last Friday of holiday before returning to hell - sorry - work on Monday.  Yay, can't wait... :mellow:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lenny said:

So would I 😅 after all my efforts I'm still average which I suppose to be fair isint bad to be able to survive in today's world is almost becoming a privilege let's be honest lol 

But I'll explain; I have a stay at home wife whom looks after our three kids since the day they were born, the cost of childcare aswell as my inability to trust anyone atall with our kids means that I'm the only earner in the home and pay a mortgage of aswell as providing for the entire family which I'm happy to do without any government assistance, 

All said then; yes the job pays well but when your like me; providing for a wife and three children we probably equal up with a family where both parents work as supervisors in Tesco paying child care for there three kids, 

That's why my advice to Zain is your young with no ties mate, get high up in the industry that pays well then make other life choices around that and I wish you the best. 

I'm thankful for my position and I really enjoy my job, I'm glad I can go to work safe in the knowledge my kids are safe at home with there very dedicated mother or happy Learning in school while the job takes care of the Mortgage and Bill's, 

I don't go on holidays atall cant afford it, nor can I get a new car such as a V8 M5 or A6 like my fellow colleges drive as there wives are school teachers but i get to do the best for my family and play a part in making things which help other people's lives. 

I'm at a bit of a conundrum really at the moment - i've got a job which pays fairly well, but is still shift work, with unsociable working. There is career progression, however i'm a bit reluctant to take it due to various other restrictions and changes that would put on my pay and employment contract (increase in pay, but addition of unfavourable terms) plus a much more (theoretically) dangerous job / much more responsibility. I'd also love to start a family (at times, sometimes i'm glad i'm single!), but that requires two and i'm still waiting to find Princess Micro... 😄 (did you know Tinder has a restriction on how many people you can swipe right on?!). I'm not one for splashing the cash though really, i'm a stingy bugger, and would much rather fix existing than buy new. The car was different because I need that to get to work!

Holidays? What are they?

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

I do like enjoying a glass (or five) of red wine on my last Friday of holiday before returning to hell - sorry - work on Monday.  Yay, can't wait... :mellow:

I'm back to work tomorrow! 😶

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 9:10 AM, jace1969 said:

It's a massive thing now,my brother is 68 and had it from a teen and taken them from a teen until 3 years ago to get deeper into it  and now we never see him as he is not that local to us,  he is in like a home where he can come and go when he wants as got his own room and got a restaurant/gardens and 24/7 help there if needed, its like a 100 room hotel sort of set up but not a hotel and run by the health people who need that bit of support and help,he was nasty with his at times in the past so i have seen and been through the big side of it.

Mine is mainly to do with caring which i have done for over 15 years with mom and now dad going places like consultants/nurses (which we see every week) and other stuff and being i gave up a great 8 till 5 job years ago onto this 24/7,people can come back from work and relax and stuff but this is day and night and yet again there is nothing at all as been there 4 times now and that's my life, weekends are not weekends just another 2 days which are the same but that's life aint it and i know there are loads just on here who can relate to this.

Hope you get sorted mate and all the best.

Sorry to hear these things Jace. People think mental illness is easy to live with but it really isn't. It's a 24/7 battle with your own mind and it certainly isn't a choice. I didn't choose to gave contamination based fears and OCD, nor did I choose to be depressed and have anxiety.  I'm glad your brother has found support though now. 
Caring for people isn't an easy thing to do and I bow my head to you out of respect. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Micro said:

I'm at a bit of a conundrum really at the moment - i've got a job which pays fairly well, but is still shift work, with unsociable working. There is career progression, however i'm a bit reluctant to take it due to various other restrictions and changes that would put on my pay and employment contract (increase in pay, but addition of unfavourable terms) plus a much more (theoretically) dangerous job / much more responsibility. I'd also love to start a family (at times, sometimes i'm glad i'm single!), but that requires two and i'm still waiting to find Princess Micro... 😄 (did you know Tinder has a restriction on how many people you can swipe right on?!). I'm not one for splashing the cash though really, i'm a stingy bugger, and would much rather fix existing than buy new. The car was different because I need that to get to work!

Holidays? What are they?

I'm back to work tomorrow! 😶

I can relate to the shift work; I work contential shift with Saturday overtime 

So its six days of 7am-3pm 

Five days of 3pm-11pm then back in 7am-3pm that Saturday 

Five nights 11pm-7am 

Had I not met the wife before getting this job j don't think I ever would have had the time, when I'm on days I sometimes wish I was on nights but when I'm on nights i lye in bed staring at the ceiling thinking that I'm wasting my life but i wont get the same money anywhere else.

Theres three vacancies in work now for team leaders; I'm there seven years now but if I take a new position then I'm treated as the new employee facing a six month probation and the risk of being made redundant, although I would still be doing my existing job as always bit like a forum moderator I'd have a feather in my cap enabling me to print documents for operators and delighte when the supervisor is off or when working Saturdays but the risk of being made redundant is high in that position aswell as increased responsibility for those whom dont want to work atall; 

If I had a say in the interview process for those they expect me to be able to point at the work then it wouldn't be a difficult job but some of the people just want to sit back and chat for the eight hours leaving the work for the next Shift; I can't be accountable for those; they need a special needs assistant; someone whom is used to wiping rear ends and making things presentable for visiting times. 

I've never been on tinder 🤷‍♂️ met the wife on a Vodafone chat thing back in 2002 before picture phones even existed, met her off the train in Dublin Connolly station, 

Rang her phone to get a look before I approached her to introduce myself; I then stayed in her parents house for two whole weeks while they were on holiday lol I never went home stayed two weeks from the time we first met, 

She was vegetarian back then and I lived on chips and onion rings from her local chipper as I was afraid she might get super upset if I were to order a burger was torture at the time but worth it in the end.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Micro said:

When you're at the top don't forget us! I'd love a new car in 10 years time emoji39.png

Lol i just hope I do. My dad says the same thing to get him a car when hopefully I get a good job 😂. I say I'll put him as a second driver when I hopefully get a nice car for myself 🤣. Even one of the guys in the detail shop says the same thing. As I'm young I don't really know what careers to persue as I'm open minded about jobs and the science subjects. I can sort of see why people go into medicine as they get paid really well not too long after completing it. Only thing I don't like with doctors is how different they are to say nurses and that it looks like they are on a different planet. Don't know if it's due to a lack of a social life. 

15 hours ago, Lenny said:

My guess for your starting position would be lab analysist work which involves testing samples from the manufacturing to ensure it is within a set spec then giving them the instruction to continue; I've saw people transition to R&D through that position,

My pathway was different; I started working in a veterinary pharmaceutical back seventeen years ago when I was 17 myself I started in the industry just by chance; I had moved 100km away from home to be with the wife which I had just met back then and the pharmaceutical plant at that time was local to her home I was originally an apprentice carpenter;

I didn't do college as I was then paying 850per month rent living 100km from home working in pharmaceutical I learned within the industry, started off on a production line brushing tablets in to blister packs before the foil went on top 😅 done two years of that then moved on to manufacturing where I was taking raw materials from the warehouse and dispensing in to reactors to manufacture the pharmaceutical in accordance with the batch record, I done six years of that then the place got bought over globally in 2010 making us redundant through a merging of sites, I then bought the focus and created some guides to keep busy; six months later I got in to the human health pharmaceutical plant where I soon discovered the much better pay; 

I started there as a chemical process operator much the same as veterinary manufacturing the pharmaceutical in accordance with the batch record, the industry involves alot of checks everything is sampled when it arrives on site and tested in the lab prior to approval for use by the production planner whom then writes the batch record which I then follow along with the use of various equipment to manufacture the pharmaceutical which I then provide a sample to the lab for approval. 

Alot of my job was hands on training some things such as separation of organic and aqueous phases cant be fully learned in books it takes time with someone showing to get it right aswell as getting the temperature just right to maximise yield, I now operate up to four processes in one building on my own and train others whom want to learn, some people come in to this line of work for the money and dont want to know anything; I don't mix well with those individuals there sloppy with there work and don't achieve maximum yields creating alot of waste and costing money.

I did notice looking at scientist vacancies that the pay isn't as high as I thought but probably like you said I'd have to aim for a top pharmaceutical company. The PhD I was looking at stated some people did go into R&D after completing it so hopefully there's hope there. I did see this vacancy in glaxosmithkline which I'm sure is one of the top companies about a leadership program in biopharmaceuticals. This company doesn't really state their job salaries so probably means it's a lot. 

One vacancy I saw stated they'd take someone with a PHD or someone with a BSC or MSc BUT with 2 years experience in industrial so shows also a PHD can get you in a job if you don't have much experience. Only thing is I hope I'd be able to get into a phd and get funding for it plus hope my mental health is good. 

16 hours ago, Lenny said:

At least think your able to take care of your family 👍. My parents for example don't let me and sister do full time work as because of education. They paid towards my car and insurance and pay for the running costs of it which is why I wanted a cheap as chips to run car as they don't have to pay much for fuel and road tax. They recently got my sister a corsa. They aren't rich but try to do these stuff for our future but with my dad for example he can't get a new nice car as he's paying for 3. He's a underground train driver instructor I believe earning £60k and mum is about £30k however the perk of her job is she's able to work at home (something which might be ideal for your wife). 

I just hope I get a good job like you in a few years and hope I don't get regrets 😊. Id hope employers look at where I did my postgraduate and probably PhD at as that might help. 

Not driving for a week and getting into it again 😊

157087705035020930914202374013.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Not driving for a week and getting into it again 😊

Ooh suit you sir nostalgic 😅 you will now think wow was it always this powerful ?

Why were you not driving for a week?  

Although Greta would thank you 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

Rang her phone to get a look before I approached her to introduce myself; I then stayed in her parents house for two whole weeks while they were on holiday lol I never went home stayed two weeks from the time we first met, 

When I met my current Mrs she invited me to her place for supper on our second date. I'm still here 30 years later!😀 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

When I met my current Mrs she invited me to her place for supper on our second date. I'm still here 30 years later!😀 

Hopefully by your choice 😂 not like Josf Fritzl 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Ooh suit you sir nostalgic 😅 you will now think wow was it always this powerful ?

Why were you not driving for a week?  

Although Greta would thank you 

I have a 5 day a week timetable now with this course. I have to take public transport there so the car is just sitting on the driveway during the week. Saturdays Im continueing my hospital volunteering so that gives me the chance to drive it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Hopefully by your choice 😂 not like Josf Fritzl 

Lol, no, but gorgeous, intelligent and a great cook - how could I resist?😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I do like being able to get some awesome pics today of planes flying over my area (passenger jets). 

• Like 2

@Nick Y have you seen the new thing on PlayStation? Where you can buy this membership to play a set of games for free? Might do the free trial when I'm off. 

4 minutes ago, zain611 said:

@Nick Y have you seen the new thing on PlayStation? Where you can buy this membership to play a set of games for free? Might do the free trial when I'm off. 

Yes, I have Zain. It's PlayStation Now. It's been around for quite a while. It used to be £12.99 but they recently dropped the price. I suspect the price drop was to try and compete with XBox Game Pass.
Downside to PS Now is that it's mainly PS2 and PS3 games on there. There are no PS1 games, unlike XBox game pass which has original Xbox and 360 games on there. The Xbox pass also includes a lot of recent releases such as Forza Horizon 4. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zain611 said:

Speaking of playstation; I'm looking to sell my barely used playstation 4 along with joypad and official playstation charging cradle which plugs in to the wall and takes two joypads,

I've upgrade the HardDrive to a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSHD so its whisper quiet and I've got GTA5 download on the drive,

Looking for €170 Would that be a fair price these days? 

Save me working a Saturday 😅

• Like 1

@Nick Y didn't even know about it until I saw it on the menu screen 😂

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

Speaking of playstation; I'm looking to sell my barely used playstation 4 along with joypad and official playstation charging cradle which plugs in to the wall and takes two joypads,

I've upgrade the HardDrive to a Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSHD so its whisper quiet and I've got GTA5 download on the drive,

Looking for €170 Would that be a fair price these days? 

Save me working a Saturday 😅

Why don't you keep it? Could play together when we get time (which I think will be hard now 😅

• Like 1

Watching Jurassic Park for the first time...they've got electric Ford Explorers with touch screen dash consoles... definitely ahead of their time in 1993!! :laugh:

(ITV2+1 btw...and no that's not the same as ITV3 :tongue: )

• Like 2

Mortal kombat 11 is free to play this weekend on ps4. I think you can play the DLC characters including arnie who was recently added. 

DSC_0519.JPG

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Watching Jurassic Park for the first time...they've got electric Ford Explorers with touch screen dash consoles... definitely ahead of their time in 1993!! :laugh:

(ITV2+1 btw...and no that's not the same as ITV3 :tongue: )

First movie I ever saw in the cinema was Jurassic park 😅 I had a 1:10th scale model of the ford jeep aswell as the T-Rex and a few of the characters back in around 1993 I think 😅 was eight years old then 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, zain611 said:

Why don't you keep it? Could play together when we get time (which I think will be hard now 😅

I rarely get time to play it and feel selfish every time that I do because I've three kids that I only have a certain amount of years with before there adults themselves,

Working Continental Shift doesn't help neither; only see them for half an hour per day when I'm working 15:00-23:00

Every weekend then is Saturday evening from 16:00 and all Sunday.

Then when I'm on nights it's a lottery as to how much sleep your going to get and when your going to get it, so if it's a rainy day with no wheelie bin service I can sleep from 10am - 15:00 then get to see the kids for two or three hours before sleeping again then work.

7-3 then I get to spend a few hours in the evening 

In that time I discuss how school is going for each of them as there now at the seperate ages where there each in different schools, find out there worries should they have any aswell as what there friends are like and advise them if applicable aswell as playing with there toys and looking after Liam the dog.

I dont have much time for zoning out to myself whether it be the playstation or Alcohol or doing something to the car I cant really do it anymore as I need to spend time with the family, I can be on here which may seem alot of the time but it's on my mobile phone which is instant comment and submit whether I'm on lunch breaks in work or at home. 

When I was younger I had many years of xbox and playstation from 1999 up to 2006, bought this PS4 back when fallout4 came out as a good work mate at the time whom has since left; was praising the game so much, I thought I'd get myself a ps4 and the game that Christmas, I cleared the game then that August and download GTA5 for a bit of fun but never done the storyline as I dont have the time,

Our eldest now needs various software packages for the computer as part of school which the middle child will also require in two years time; so I'm going to sell it and reinvest the money in to software for there computer.

Thanks for the offer though I really do appreciate it our ancestors would be proud 🤝

• Like 1

First movie I ever saw in the cinema was Jurassic park [emoji28] I had a 1:10th scale model of the ford jeep aswell as the T-Rex and a few of the characters back in around 1993 I think [emoji28] was eight years old then 
My first cinema film was Star Wars (god i'm old [emoji21]).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club