Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I don't like spiders in the bathroom...  Few days ago, sat on the loo about to wipe...go to grab the bogroll and a spider is on the roll...err...now I'm stuck! :laugh:

Second time sat on the loo, hear a splat, pretty sure it wasn't me, look down a spider has dropped from the ceiling onto the floor about an inch from my foot...super-quick wipe and run that time! :lol: 

I havent even opened the window in there to avoid this situation!!  Really need to buy some of that spider spray I think. :unsure: 

I've been thinking about buying that myself recently, but the only problem is that I'd need to spray it everywhere!  Not sure a 500ML bottle would suffice.

2 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Can be!

But I think I can take it from your previous post that you are not a keen keeper of Tarantulas, or nice, big, fat Black Widow spiders!ohmy.png

I rather like, and admire spiders, but even so, I definitely prefer it if they don't invade my "personal space" too closely!

My better half is not keen on spiders. Every so often, when she is doing some housework, I hear a shrill scream of abject horror, which I studiously ignore for ten minutes or so, before considering whether to go to the rescue!

But even she was impressed by an orb web spider. It was safely on the other side of a window, and it was really amazing watching it spin that intricate web, round & round, carefully tacking the sticky spiral onto the radial supports. What a feat of engineering!cool.png

Even the thought of a tarantula has given me goosebumps haha!

Don't get me wrong, spiders are amazing...when they're outside, in the same way lions are...but I wouldn't want either inside! :laugh: 

39 minutes ago, Ianb said:

Hahaha, had visions of that lethal weapon toilet scene.... "A few days ago...now I'm stuck" :lol:

Haha, fortunately while I was panicking about it, it moved up the wall so I could quickly wipe then dispatch of it! :tongue: 

19 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

I've been thinking about buying that myself recently, but the only problem is that I'd need to spray it everywhere!  Not sure a 500ML bottle would suffice.

It doesn't get rid of spiders, it just stops them coming in, so only gets put around windows or air vents etc...hopefully 500ml last a while with the price of it! :unsure: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

It doesn't get rid of spiders, it just stops them coming in, so only gets put around windows or air vents etc...hopefully 500ml last a while with the price of it! :unsure: 

The problem is, my house was built by the council in the 1960s and has more holes and cracks than a 20 year old Corsa, so there are many more potential "entries" for spiders than the usual windows and vents.

On 7/24/2016 at 7:59 PM, GMX said:

I don't like finding an assortment of pieces of brick, concrete and pavers on the lawn and around the vegetables:sad:

It seems the toddler next door has discovered he can throw things in addition, to the tennis balls and frisbees that have started coming over the fence.

Rear hub carrier bush renewal, exhaust box replacement or subframe removal???:unsure:

Been there a couple of times: first you burn it when you've forgotten you've just swirled the oxy-acetalin or propane torch over the immovable nut and then you cut it on the chewed up nut edge, when unscrewing the last couple of threads by hand.:ohmy:  Both these actions can also be preceded with the hand sliding off the unmoving wrench and slamming the knuckles into the nearest metal component!

Ouch mine is nothing compared to that, reading that made me wince!!

On the topic of spiders, I hand washed my Focus yesterday and sprayed lots of window cleaner/chemicals inside both wing mirrors, to make spiders not wanna live there. (ALWAYS have had wing mirror spiders on both mirrors, they seem to love the Focus unfortunately.)

Wake up this morning to drive the car to work - lo and behold the darned thing is back, on my left wing mirror, complete with a huge web! Any cheap way to get rid of these permanently? It's literally my biggest peeve! :wallbash:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

The problem is, my house was built by the council in the 1960s and has more holes and cracks than a 20 year old Corsa, so there are many more potential "entries" for spiders than the usual windows and vents.

In that case maybe some filler or expanding foam would be more useful lol! 

1 hour ago, Incontro said:

(ALWAYS have had wing mirror spiders on both mirrors, they seem to love the Focus unfortunately.)

I've noticed that too, though usually only the driver's mirror. Could this be a new sub-species, perhaps: Arachnea Foci Wing-Mirrus?

(apologies for the non-existent Latin!)

We did have a rather scary moment once (severe arachnophobes look away now!).

The missus lowered the sun visor to check in vanity mirror, and out jumped a rather large spider. When traveling along at 60mph, it can be difficult to deal with a slightly hysterical female and an annoyed and active 8 legged beast, while controlling the car as well.

Fortunately, I think the spider realised the danger of the situation, and satisfied that it had done enough damage, ran off and hid. It was quite a few weeks before the missus would get in the car without a ensuring I had checked for un-invited guests!

• Like 3

i was on spider catching duty last night, one on the headboard of our bed and another in the un-suite. im not bothered by them but didnt fancy swallowing the spider in my sleep. 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a dislike as such...in fact the background to is very definitely a like!!

I'm about to start doing a lot more motorway miles (Grimsby > Scunthorpe) on a regular basis and got thinking about fuel usage.

As much as I love my Focus, it is a bit thirsty.

Do I trade it in for a diesel now?

If so, what do I go for?

I have seen a very nice looking 12-plate Mondeo estate with the 2.2l engine - in Scunthorpe coincidentally. Better fuel figures, and a mate had one - until it was written off by a presumably uninsured driver - who rated it very highly.

Gah...I dunno...

1 hour ago, SeanW said:

trade it in for a diesel now

Some (was most) people who switch to diesel find it hard to switch back. The combination of economy with all that easily available low down power (or Grunt), is quite hard to give up.

Edited by Tdci-Peter
Most was unjustified!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Most people who switch to diesel find it hard to switch back. The combination of economy with all that easily available low down power (or Grunt), is quite hard to give up.

and injectors, egr, dpf, blocked fuel filters, intercooler hoses, etc. yeh, if i had a diesel i would find it hard to give that up also...... not. lol

• Like 2

An unexpected migraine with aura:sad:

i was going to give the Mk2 it's pre-MOT flightcheck tonight:mellow: However, after waiting for aura to subside and regain the full use of my vision, it was a then bit too late to start and I also have to irrigate all vegetables.

2 hours ago, Incontro said:

ALWAYS have had wing mirror spiders on both mirrors, they seem to love the Focus unfortunately

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I've noticed that too, though usually only the driver's mirror. Could this be a new sub-species, perhaps: Arachnea Foci Wing-Mirrus?

I seem to have two permanent resident spiders on my offside mirror and one resident spider on the nearside, on the Mk2; yet only one resident on the offside mirror on the Mk1.  Spiders are clearly favouring Ford Foci, no-one spun a web on the Astra, or the Peugeot 406 nor any of the BMWs, Volvos

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

We did have a rather scary moment once (severe arachnophobes look away now!).

The missus lowered the sun visor to check in vanity mirror, and out jumped a rather large spider. When traveling along at 60mph, it can be difficult to deal with a slightly hysterical female and an annoyed and active 8 legged beast, while controlling the car as well.

I once had rather cooled yet irate wasp in the BMW, whilst doing slightly more than 70mph on the M3, but didn't have the added issue of an hysterical female.

I think it must have crawled in the vent unnoticed, when I had the window open earlier that day.:huh:  It was not a happy wasp when I switched the air con, it found itself being thrust back out the vent at speed, in an ice cold stream and then thrown up against the nearside closed window:ohmy:

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Most people who switch to diesel find it hard to switch back. The combination of economy with all that easily available low down power (or Grunt), is quite hard to give up.

Not really, I know of several people that have had diesels in the past but have gone back to petrol and don't miss them one bit. The additional smoothness and quite Ness of a petrol engine would be enough to tempt me alone!

Also new petrol engines are much more efficient than a few years ago and often aren't far off the diesel equivalent for economy and spare the emissions cheating :wink: and some harmful pollutants.

My neighbours are in the process of swapping a diesel Insignia for a new petrol C-Class for those very reasons. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I can attest to that.

49 minutes ago, iantt said:

and injectors, egr, dpf, blocked fuel filters, intercooler hoses, etc. yeh, if i had a diesel i would find it hard to give that up also...... not. lol

Hmph,

Ian, I think you are being a little unfair!

dpf can be a big pain, I'll give you that one.

But petrol has its problems: egr (on some cars), fuel filters, fuel injectors, throttle bodies, spark plugs, leads, coil packs, catalytic convertors (with rare platinum & rhodium), exhausts that rot in 2 years, and the latest petrols have turbos & intercooler hoses too!

I am not saying diesel is perfect, injector & HP pump problems can be horrendous, but overall? I think it is six of one & half a dozen of the other. At the moment I know which I prefer! (Might change my mind if / when my injectors pack up though!)

But I should modify my original reply to "Some people find it hard....".  The word "most" may be unjustified, I will accept that!

10 minutes ago, chrisroberson99 said:

Not really, I know of several people that have had diesels in the past but have gone back to petrol and don't miss them one bit. The additional smoothness and quite Ness of a petrol engine would be enough to tempt me alone!

Had I not got my TDCi so cheaply (it was literally 2/3rds the price wanted for the other Mk2s)

I was going to switch back to petrol after been diesel for some time.  I was principally after an estate, in my top five estates I'd marked for viewing it was the only diesel.  My next car will almost certainly be a petrol, I just don't do the mileage now to make diesel the preferred option.  Of course should diesel drop in price compared to petrol, back those 20p litre less difference i might stay in the diesel camp.

• Like 1

trade it in for a diesel now

Some (was most) people who switch to diesel find it hard to switch back. The combination of economy with all that easily available low down power (or Grunt), is quite hard to give up.

Low down grunt will be useful...I intend to continue towing boats amongst other things lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SeanW said:

I intend to continue towing boats

I regularly pull a heavy trailer, and the car hardly seems to notice. It steams up quite steep gradients in 5th gear, where I used to have to keep changing down.

I switched from diesel to petrol (but of course it was an ST 😎 ).

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2

I don't like unexpected vat charges on a quote I had. Quoted 65 to get front wheel refurbed as I'd scratched the paint, only for it to cost me 78.....

I also don't like cars getting right up my backside on the way home, despite the fact that I put a gigantic sign in the back window stating that I'm limited to 50mph as on a space saver.

7 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I switched from diesel to petrol (but of course it was an ST 😎 ).

Sent from my SM-G930F

So really you just switched from diesel to ST.....

....it's a different category of change...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SeanW said:

Low down grunt will be useful...I intend to continue towing boats amongst other things lol

My mate tows his boats with a petrol...  Of course it is a ~320bhp V6 but still a petrol... :laugh:  Plus he averages 34mpg in it...thats about what I average in the Fiesta ST!  But he does drive a lot more miles than I do.

I've been trying to convince myself to go petrol next, mainly to avoid DPF and EGR issues while remaining fully legal and getting actual cheap running costs lol, the diesel is cheap to tax, but doesnt do the MPG I expect, costs a lot on insurance due to the remap and with all the parts I've had to replace cost a lot in that area too.  But petrols just take so much more effort to drive with needing to add throttle first all the time, less smooth due to the snap-shut of the butterfly, noisier at speed with higher RPM etc etc.  I really like the EcoBoost on paper...I just hope it's not like the older petrols, hill start assist and a good anti-stall should help lol.  I rarely use the handbrake in the Focus, just clutch and footbrake even on the steepest hills, that doesn't work well in the ST lol.

The 1.8 petrol (125hp/130ps) doesn't do too badly at towing to be fair. It's just not a particularly efficient engine.

I'm lucky to get 300 miles out of a tank. I did eek out 400 on a very long, very steady run down to Weymouth once. Never managed to repeat it lol

I am looking to get the new st or a mazda mps next as i only drive on weekends most times and very low miles so why not get something powerful.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mazda don't make mps anymore I don't think.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club