Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!!

Luke_Anderson

Where do you have your GPSM connected to the MS-CAN and where have you connected your APIM to the MS-CAN. 

The problem is the GPSM module is not being seen by the car. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Steevo25 said:

Where do you have your GPSM connected to the MS-CAN and where have you connected your APIM to the MS-CAN. 

The problem is the GPSM module is not being seen by the car. 

it could be the faulty gpsm module. Sometimes the gpsm error doesn't give it to me ... and other times it does ... I want to try to get another one. Based on the photo I posted where there is both the gpsm module and a gps antenna I would like to know if I need both to connect or just the gpsm module? i checked the connection from the apim to the gpsm module and it is right. Thank you 

there are 2 different article numbers ... 

This is for kuga from 2012 to 2017 

https://www.ebay.it/itm/303143714394

This is for Kuga from 1014 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/313397197674

But I don't know the difference and which one is right for my ... Calculating that I had original sync 1 and I mounted a sync 2 ...

I have a kuga II from 2014 

Can you help me find the solution? 

Hi Danielle

No need to post in multiple threads - we'll see it don't worry!

The left device is the GPS control module.

The right device looks like a GPS antenna with fakra connector but I can't be sure.

On 3/7/2021 at 12:43 AM, smartguy69 said:

@Daniele kuga II 2014

I have a 2015 Kuga. I have converted my sync 1 to sync 2. The kuga has the GPS Module fitted as standard at the factory. The Focus does not. 

If you look at your instrument cluster underneath the digital speed you will see N, S, E W. This is the information from the GPS module telling you which way you are heading. Without the module it wouldn't be able to do that. There is no need to buy a GPS module or antenna unless you are going to sync 3. If you look at my picture below the GPS is telling me my car is facing South in the first picture and South East in the second.

Steevo25 has an enormous amount of knowledge on the upgrade on the Focus and although there are some things that are the same as the Kuga there are others that are different. 

Have a look at this thread from the Kuga forum. 

https://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/threads/kuga-sync-2-retrofit.14887/#post-150597

IMG_20201229_214952.jpg

IMG_20201128_162150.jpg

I checked where you said but I don't have the form present ... I'll put you a photo. So it's not in the car right? Do I have to add it myself? 

Screenshot_20210319-160421_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f3f0ae83da6fcf347b8b6e35cdb630a5.jpg

1 hour ago, JPW said:

Hi Danielle

No need to post in multiple threads - we'll see it don't worry!

The left device is the GPS control module.

The right device looks like a GPS antenna with fakra connector but I can't be sure.

ok it is because I would like to solve the problem ... Among the 2 links that I posted a high could you tell me if there is and what is the difference between the 2 gpsm modules? can you confirm that the old gps antenna with blue Fakra should no longer be used? Then I would like to know where is the GPS antenna located in my car? thanks and sorry again 

Danielle, before you changed to sync 2 did your car show N, S, E and W in your instrument cluster just below your speed. Like mine shows an "S" below meaning I was heading South.

IMG_20210120_105141.png

🤗🤗🤗 he helped me  SMARTGUY69. But now I can't see the compass in the on-board computer but only in the sync screen ... How can I put it back? 

Did you have a compass on your instrument cluster display before you installed Sync 2? If not, it is probably not configured in your instrument cluster AsBuilt. 

If you go in to the settings using your steering wheel controls and see if compass is in any of the menus. If it's there then you can enable it. If it's not, then you will have to turn it on with Forscan. 

yes there was before. In the on-board computer menu there is the compass item, but even if it is active it is not visible. As soon as I had connected the gpsm module to the MS-CAN line, I saw dashes instead of the compass on the on-board computer and pii everything disappeared ... 

maybe there was already a gpsm and now with two connected it's not happy?

But the problem is that I don't know where the gps antenna that was connected with the blue Fakra to the small screen is positioned in the car ... There is no instrument behind it ... Do you know where it is? 

Here is what I suspect. The instrument cluster has a setting in Forscan that specifies the GPS source. This is probably pointing to Sync 1 which has been removed. So you will need to change the setting in the instrument cluster to now get it's data from the GPSM module. 

The blue fakra connector can no longer be used with Sync 2 and it goes to your roof antenna. 

Try the following but take a copy of the IPC AsBuilt first.

In Forscan, go into the AsBuilt for the IPC. Save a copy.

Then change the following only:

720-08-01    X9XX XXXX XX

Do not change any of the X values. This is the GPS source on a Focus to point to the GPSM module. Hopefully it is the same on a Kuga.

• Thanks 1

Ok tonight I'll try. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks so much 

It appears that the Kuga IPC configuration is different. I would need the AsBuilt file for your IPC for me to give you the value. 

Don't do the change above. If you can send me a copy of your IPC AsBuilt file I can tell you the value. 

Ok I will send the photo as soon as possible. Or do you really need the file? thanks 

I cannot use a photo. I need your actual AsBuilt file.

Go in to Forscan and then in to the ICP AsBuilt. Read the module and then save it to a file. Then upload the file here.

I can't use a photo as I need to load the file into UCDS and then see the changes for the GPS source.

ok perfect tomorrow I'll send you the file. Thank you 

Thanks @Steevo25. I helped Danielle out with the correct wiring for the GPSM module in order for it to be visible in Forscan and it now shows navigation and compass on the sync 2 screen which is good. That's as far as I can go I think. It would appear that Danielle's car did not have the GPSM as standard as when you take the clocks out there is a bracket and the GPSM module is mounted to the bracket but above so you cant see the module. Danielle's car was missing the bracket.

As far as I knoe Danielle hasn't uploaded a sync 2 apim from a kuga. When I did nine from a 2016 car it changed the IPC display. I can't remember 100% whether that was before or after I changed the settings using Foccus. Those changes are the same for the Kuga as well but one of those settings is number 214 which changes the IPC. That could be why it is not showing compass under the digital speed.

• Thanks 1

Yes, his cluster changed colour as well. It comes from the FoCCCus changes. 

I looked at a Kuga IPC AsBuilt. And there are 2 settings for the compass in the IPC ECU config. One is the bus it reads it on and the other is the source. By default they are set to LIN for the bus and MFD for the source for cars without a GPSM. This now needs changing to MS-CAN and GPS to work with the GPSM module. But there are so many different displays and versions and they all have slightly different configs so I need his IPC AsBuilt file so I can match it up so I know exactly what numbers to change and to what. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club