Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergency Call System Malfunction.

PLB

It should have hopefully logged a fault. Mine never went away until the battery died. I kept photos of all the errors I saw though as proof. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:30 AM, alexp999 said:

It should have hopefully logged a fault. Mine never went away until the battery died. I kept photos of all the errors I saw though as proof. 

Starting to see more of the issues now - although I’ve not seen the error message for a week or so my sensors have started to make the tinny noise as discussed and my auto start stop / auto handbrake seemed to have a cross through it when I pulled up home today.. hoping they are actually able to fix it when it’s booked in Monday but seems lots have had multiple trips to dealers over this!

Well, Focus has now been back to local dealer 3 times for this. The've done several software updates on each occasion.

Started up this morning - Emergency Call System Malfunction message appears yet again.

(They do, so far, seem to have fixed the GPWS screaming at me when something's passing in the other lane on a sharp corner, mind.....)

There is a new update out for telematic control units (emergency call assist module) which is meant to solve various problems including a slight battery drain caused by this module. Ford say that as long as all of your connectivity settings are turned on and you have the little data arrows in the top right hand of the screen it should update over the air... Now I've done a few of these updates manually and they're pretty big so I don't know how quickly it applies it to the cars over the air so it might be worth asking your dealer to apply this update manually if you are still having issues. 

On a side note if the fault is persistent and the emergency call assist malfunction keeps coming up and you can't turn on the connectivity settings for whatever reason, or if there are no updates available  then I suggest a new module is installed (I have installed around 30 odd of these things now). 

Sorry for the long message. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MasterTechTip said:

There is a new update out for telematic control units (emergency call assist module) which is meant to solve various problems including a slight battery drain caused by this module. Ford say that as long as all of your connectivity settings are turned on and you have the little data arrows in the top right hand of the screen it should update over the air... Now I've done a few of these updates manually and they're pretty big so I don't know how quickly it applies it to the cars over the air so it might be worth asking your dealer to apply this update manually if you are still having issues. 

On a side note if the fault is persistent and the emergency call assist malfunction keeps coming up and you can't turn on the connectivity settings for whatever reason, or if there are no updates available  then I suggest a new module is installed (I have installed around 30 odd of these things now). 

Sorry for the long message. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the information! Will this update when you force sync to search for updates or is it separate? 

17 minutes ago, simps100 said:

Thanks for the information! Will this update when you force sync to search for updates or is it separate? 

No it won't update it's not related to SYNC, I don't think there's actually a way to tell if it's been updated or not over the air. If you get issues you're best off taking it to Ford and get them to check. 👍

• Thanks 1

Not seen the emergency call malfunction for a while now but today got a new one “Park pilot malfunction” and have lost my sensors - it’s going in on Monday but I guess it’s somehow related.

78165D4D-F84E-4D10-9C84-2BAC81753EFB.thumb.jpeg.eb16785f0a66ff5a85cbaf70de4eb349.jpeg

Took car in this morning and they want it till Wednesday 😞 they said they’ve needed to order a part which won’t arrive till then - didn’t mention what it was but will find out when I collect it.

Was rather frustrated they wanted to charge me £10 per day for the courtesy car - though to be fair when I mentioned id only had the car a month and I felt it was a bit unfair they’ve agreed to waive the charge.

Hopefully all these issues will get ironed out with ecu and module updates.

Saying that, it’s like Ford and Microsoft have teamed up and the mk4’s are getting windows updates and killing the cars haha. If windows 8 was anything to go by, you’d do an update and the next morning your computer just wouldn’t boot up or load windows... the joys!

Correct me if I’m wrong, do Ford not offer module updates over the air at all rather that having to go to a dealer on the mk4’s? Or is that just only for Sync?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I still have the same problem, Ford have attempted to load software and it fails. They are blaming ford U/S saying the software will not download to the car from the U/S.

They have had the car three days and still the same. I have been waiting for over three weeks for the garage to have a fix. Have they not heard of DVD's or flash drives to copy the software to one of their devices. This fault has been on three cars now over three years, a focus titanium 17,18 and 19 plate.. This time it will not go away like on previous cars. I have not been able to use my phone hands free in the car for over two months now.

The auto stop start works now and then and two windows have been playing up. One was reset and then another one plays up at random. The park pilot fault has not happen for some time now.

I have mentioned to the garage it could be the telematics unit but the say they have to load software first before they could replace it. As they cannot load software..........

10 hours ago, Monks600 said:

Hopefully all these issues will get ironed out with ecu and module updates.

Saying that, it’s like Ford and Microsoft have teamed up and the mk4’s are getting windows updates and killing the cars haha. If windows 8 was anything to go by, you’d do an update and the next morning your computer just wouldn’t boot up or load windows... the joys!

Correct me if I’m wrong, do Ford not offer module updates over the air at all rather that having to go to a dealer on the mk4’s? Or is that just only for Sync?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Only the telematics module (emergency call assist) updates over the air. Pretty sure SYNC can't do that yet as the update files are too big.

8 hours ago, Phil-Titanium said:

I still have the same problem, Ford have attempted to load software and it fails. They are blaming ford U/S saying the software will not download to the car from the U/S.

They have had the car three days and still the same. I have been waiting for over three weeks for the garage to have a fix. Have they not heard of DVD's or flash drives to copy the software to one of their devices. This fault has been on three cars now over three years, a focus titanium 17,18 and 19 plate.. This time it will not go away like on previous cars. I have not been able to use my phone hands free in the car for over two months now.

The auto stop start works now and then and two windows have been playing up. One was reset and then another one plays up at random. The park pilot fault has not happen for some time now.

I have mentioned to the garage it could be the telematics unit but the say they have to load software first before they could replace it. As they cannot load software..........

Stop start is a pain on these new Focus', I've had so many come in with it not working or the battery state of charge being right on the limit of it working or not so like you some days it works others it doesn't. 

The windows should have a driver door module and passenger door module updates applied and then a window relearn to fix the bouncing issue. 

It's strange they're saying they're having issues with software, it should be a global problem not just affecting them and as far as I'm aware there were no outages in the last few days. 

Where abouts in the country are you? Bring it me and I'll fix it 😂

So I took my car in for emergency system malfunction, they’ve said the module needs an update and that they’ve made it available in my Ford pass app but I can’t see where in the app I do the update ? Any one any ideas where that would be?

My 19 plate focus Titanium X only had it about 6wks back in at lookers ford again today keeping it overnight again, no courtesy car again. Said this time it needs a software update for emergency services malfunction etc. Said the update is taking hours so hopefully get it back tomorrow fixed but won't hold by breath. The 2015 I traded in had no issues in the two years I had it. This one been a nightmare

Still not managed to find the update in my Ford pass app - no idea why the dealer wasn’t able to do the update.

Not had the error since having the car back - although did have the weird sounding parking sensors today, more annoyingly when it happens it don’t turn down the music when they go off. Going to get back onto them and find out how to do this update for the emergency call system from the app.

Do the parking sensors sound like they're coming through the dash rather than the Speakers? If so Ford don't class this as an issue as it's a 'strategy'. I found the battery state of charge helps with this. Charge the battery up and see if it keeps happening

2 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

Do the parking sensors sound like they're coming through the dash rather than the speakers? If so Ford don't class this as an issue as it's a 'strategy'. I found the battery state of charge helps with this. Charge the battery up and see if it keeps happening

Yeah that’s it - that said started this morning and sensors were back to normal and fine straight away - I noticed my fiesta used to do this too occasionally so not just the focus with this strange sensor sound thing. Will check the battery charge still waiting to hear back to that the emergency call module updated 

My Focus has been fine since April when I manually applied an update. The dealer did nothing (other than a TCU update in February that didn't solve it) and I fixed it myself once Sync updates arrived. Sensors fine, front Speakers fine, no warning messages either.

The start/stop is still intermittent but it's heavily dependent on length of journey and outside temperature. Basically Ford's start/stop is not as good as BMW/Audi's, which worked without fail at all times for me previously.

Anyway, for the Emergency Call System Malfunction, I suggest you guys get hold of a minimum 16GB flash drive, format it, and head to here...

https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Enter your VIN (on the dashboard/a previous service invoice) and it will tell you if an update is available. Then you can follow their instructions (make sure you do this exactly as it says) and download it to the formatted USB drive with no other files on. It works better on Windows but is doable on Mac (which I had).

From then on all you literally need to do is start the car, plug the USB in and let it do its thing. Takes around 15 minutes to install.

Wouldn't bother waiting in OTA updates/FordPass.

Let me know if you have questions.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:22 PM, simps100 said:

Still not managed to find the update in my Ford pass app - no idea why the dealer wasn’t able to do the update.

Not had the error since having the car back - although did have the weird sounding parking sensors today, more annoyingly when it happens it don’t turn down the music when they go off. Going to get back onto them and find out how to do this update for the emergency call system from the app.

See my post above, check the above link first rather than waiting for the app!

3 hours ago, GermanWolf said:

See my post above, check the above link first rather than waiting for the app!

Just tried - all I see is “Please try again later”’not sure if that means the site is broken or no updates - will keep trying as the message has started to appear again after its 3 days in at Ford last week.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on the SYNC update. I (and others on here) have already updated to the latest version provided on the Ford website.  It does nothing to fix this error long term.

I've not heard of sync updates rectifying this issue as they aren't really related (separate modules). There is an update out currently that rectifies some issues but it is a large file so I don't see how it will download over the air (OTA) like Ford suggests. Best off getting your dealers to update it manually. If the problem persists even after the update then I'd suggest fitting a new module (TCU - telematics control module). 

10 hours ago, MasterTechTip said:

I've not heard of sync updates rectifying this issue as they aren't really related (separate modules). There is an update out currently that rectifies some issues but it is a large file so I don't see how it will download over the air (OTA) like Ford suggests. Best off getting your dealers to update it manually. If the problem persists even after the update then I'd suggest fitting a new module (TCU - telematics control module). 

Is this an update for a certain module? Going back in on Tuesday so the engineer can show me how to update through the Ford pass app even with nothing showing - will ask about this.

I do have a few hours of driving today so maybe the OTA update will get a chance too.

Yes this update is only for the TCU (telematics control module (emergency call assist module)). It doesn't have anything to do with the mobile app itself, I think the tech got confused as when you run a warranty session on the vehicle for this fault it will say there's an OTA update and to make sure the customers connectivity settings are turned on under the ford pass app (in car app settings) with this turned on you'll have the little data arrows in the top right of the sync screen. It's then meant to download all by itself but I haven't had 1 vehicle come in yet where it's updated itself. 

2 minutes ago, MasterTechTip said:

Yes this update is only for the TCU (telematics control module (emergency call assist module)). It doesn't have anything to do with the mobile app itself, I think the tech got confused as when you run a warranty session on the vehicle for this fault it will say there's an OTA update and to make sure the customers connectivity settings are turned on under the ford pass app (in car app settings) with this turned on you'll have the little data arrows in the top right of the sync screen. It's then meant to download all by itself but I haven't had 1 vehicle come in yet where it's updated itself. 

I had the fault even though it had updated itself. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club