Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I do like

laumk7

@Lenny - the black tape project.

Very clever from an art perspective.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Zico said:

@Lenny - the black tape project.

Very clever from an art perspective.

9400_5.thumb.jpg.707f7d1937550999f68b308de61cbc06.jpg

Says he doesn't even have to look 😅 

Just pull the trigger 

• Haha 1

Wife arrived back at 23:32 last night too

had been missing since 16:00, I was absolutely starving at that stage 

I was looking out my window taking some pics of the garden when, out of the corner of my eye I saw an aircraft. Turned the camera to it and realised it was the BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) Dakota (DC-3/C-47). 
I've never seen it before over my way and it was a chance find. 

*Edit - It wasn't the BBMF one as it had the American Star on the rear with the D-Day invasion stripes. 

• Like 3

Yes, I've also seen a Dakota near home - didn't catch the markings though. Don't know if we're on a flight path for BBMF testing or something,  but I've also had Hurricane, Spitfire and the Lanc sneak up on me in the last few years😀 Keep seeing more and more appearances by USAF F15-Es from Lakenheath in last few years as well - very noisy beggars!

• Like 2

The last Sunday in June we normally have the BBMF Spitfire fly over as part of our towns annual show. It's unusual for a C47/Dakota though (although the BBMF Dak is rumoured to be the flyover this year). 
Usually the BBMF do their test flights over Lincolnshire so I don't think it was that. I know they do transit flights for shows though so maybe you caught one of those. 

This year marks the 75th anniversary of D-Day and I know that a lot of Dakotas/C-47s are meeting up to do a special flight over Normandy on D-Day (titled Daks over Normandy). 

I was at Conningsby for a short while during my RAF career and the memorial flight is based there.
I was privilleged to be able to get up close to the planes on several occasions.
Never got a chance to sit in any of them unfortunately [emoji53].

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

Yep, it is based at Conningsby and I have been to the museum (abeit about 27 years ago). 
My brother was an engineer there in the 80s and early 90s. 
He took me to the museum with a few friends for my birthday and, as a special treat, I got to go on-base and see the Tornados up close and even sit in one whilst maintenance was carried out (the cockpit was minus the ejector seat for safety reasons). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Y said:

I got to go on-base and see the Tornados up close and even sit in one whilst maintenance was carried out 

Pretty jammy!😀. There's a good few places of interest round there - Tattershall and Bolingbroke Castles, Cadwell Park and the Lincolnshire Air Museum at East Kirkby. Visited there a few years ago while I was doing a bike thing at Cadwell, but you can now have a ride in a Lanc (just taxiing, unfortunately) so will have to pay another visit sometime.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Pretty jammy!😀. There's a good few places of interest round there - Tattershall and Bolingbroke Castles, Cadwell Park and the Lincolnshire Air Museum at East Kirkby. Visited there a few years ago while I was doing a bike thing at Cadwell, but you can now have a ride in a Lanc (just taxiing, unfortunately) so will have to pay another visit sometime.

Yep, it was jammy. All my friends had to wait in the museum. My brother had special permission from his CO to let me into the hangar and have a look round. 
Tattershall Castle is lovely and I visited Cadwell park on many occasions for bike racing with my best friend (sadly no longer with us), his dad and sister. 
Damn, I'd love a taxi ride in a lanc. 
The Canadian one (VRA) actually takes passengers on flights in it. 

• Like 1

Really happy how this came out. Used a white board pen. The S badge from factory is red but the colour had faded after years. There's little smugging but not too bad. 

Before DSC_0179.thumb.JPG.c26e3a938d473686f09d0f5d5c3c86d2.JPG_20190528_131020.thumb.JPG.6f2b3acae326dc4e50606f76cddd8f80.JPG

After_20190528_124232.thumb.JPG.31d151a7ecac6da0d8a8dfb9a10fe4f7.JPG_20190528_124149.thumb.JPG.760fe38b82024d6399837bceed2446eb.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

Really happy how this came out. Used a white board pen. The S badge from factory is red but the colour had faded after years. There's little smugging but not too bad. 

Before DSC_0179.thumb.JPG.c26e3a938d473686f09d0f5d5c3c86d2.JPG_20190528_131020.thumb.JPG.6f2b3acae326dc4e50606f76cddd8f80.JPG

After_20190528_124232.thumb.JPG.31d151a7ecac6da0d8a8dfb9a10fe4f7.JPG_20190528_124149.thumb.JPG.760fe38b82024d6399837bceed2446eb.JPG

Was it a white board pen as in a dry wipe one?  :unsure: Or was it a permanent marker like a Sharpie?  

After reading this earlier I decided to fill in some stone chips on mine with a Sharpie...looks alright tbh.  Just have to wait and see if the rain takes it off!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Was it a white board pen as in a dry wipe one?  :unsure: Or was it a permanent marker like a Sharpie?  

After reading this earlier I decided to fill in some stone chips on mine with a Sharpie...looks alright tbh.  Just have to wait and see if the rain takes it off!

Have no idea. Just got one my sister uses. Time will tell. 

On 5/27/2019 at 3:08 PM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Keep seeing more and more appearances by USAF F15-Es from Lakenheath in last few years as well - very noisy beggars!

I'm beginning to think they must be pursuing me - I'm currently up at our caravan in Wensleydale and 2 pairs have been over today, plus the usual Typhoons, Hawks, Tucanos, an Apache plus a Hercules the other day. This really is an excellent plane spotting area!😀 -  but missing the Tornados this year.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I'm beginning to think they must be pursuing me - I'm currently up at our caravan in Wensleydale and 2 pairs have been over today, plus the usual Typhoons, Hawks, Tucanos, an Apache plus a Hercules the other day. This really is an excellent plane spotting area!😀 -  but missing the Tornados this year.

oh you lucky beggar. Yes, it's a shame the Tonkas are no longer flying. 
I was once on the Whitby-Scarborough road and a low flying Chinook took me by surprise
I've also seen a C-130 Hercules flying low level over the A1 or M1. 

You should have tried living on an airbase like I did for 9 years.
The aircraft taking off or landing every 5 minutes soon got tiresome especially when your room was 50 metres from the runway [emoji37]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

@Zico check this out. Autobeam are on eBay and I think their stuff are cheaper there than buying it through their website. It's free delivery and no hidden tax charge like on their website. Sadly they don't have everything but one thing which caught my eye is the performance indicators which I might get as the front indicators are still halogen on my car. 

https://www.m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=autobeamltd&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Nick Y said:

oh you lucky beggar. 

Ha ha! It's not all plane-spotting up there, you know! Our 'van (like it's owner) is getting old now and things keeping going wrong (also like it's owner😀), so I now seem to be having to fix a least one thing every time I'm up there! Worst job so far was sorting a constant dribble ( no, not me - the toilet flush!) All it needed was a new sealing washer which cost a couple of pounds, but to fit it I had to dismantle the bathroom as the manufacturers seem to have installed the cistern first and then built the rest of the 'van round it. Took me 7 hours and lots of cursing!😠 Just got back home after sorting the latest thing up there (bathroom extractor fan), to find out shower at home has packed up now, so not a happy bunny!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zain611 said:

@Zico check this out. Autobeam are on ebay and I think their stuff are cheaper there than buying it through their website. It's free delivery and no hidden tax charge like on their website. Sadly they don't have everything but one thing which caught my eye is the performance indicators which I might get as the front indicators are still halogen on my car. 

https://www.m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?sid=autobeamltd&isRefine=true&_pgn=1

Go for it.

Finally got round to fitting the wing mirror LEDs on Sunday (had been sitting in the box for ages). Popped one cover off within a minute but the other one was a struggle to get off and then back on again. At least all the LEDs are matching now though :thumbup:.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zico said:

Go for it.

Finally got round to fitting the wing mirror LEDs on Sunday (had been sitting in the box for ages). Popped one cover off within a minute but the other one was a struggle to get off and then back on again. At least all the LEDs are matching now though :thumbup:.

Must be a lot better 👍. Do remember though to check on eBay. I'd say you'll save around £5-10 on tax and delivery than getting the bulbs on their website. 

• Like 1

Fossil Fuel making a come back 😂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ha ha! It's not all plane-spotting up there, you know! Our 'van (like it's owner) is getting old now and things keeping going wrong (also like it's owner😀), so I now seem to be having to fix a least one thing every time I'm up there! Worst job so far was sorting a constant dribble ( no, not me - the toilet flush!) All it needed was a new sealing washer which cost a couple of pounds, but to fit it I had to dismantle the bathroom as the manufacturers seem to have installed the cistern first and then built the rest of the 'van round it. Took me 7 hours and lots of cursing!😠 Just got back home after sorting the latest thing up there (bathroom extractor fan), to find out shower at home has packed up now, so not a happy bunny!

Didn't lose a wheel on the way home did it? :whistling: 

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/driver-leaves-caravan-on-a12-colchester-essex-1-6073328

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

😀 No, it's a static van so stays on site permanently. When the time comes to finally move it off site and send it to the great caravan park in the sky, I suspect it will all fall apart when its moved!

• Like 2

I do like receiving this text from O2 earlier...

Considering I'm on a PAYG and data costs me 1p a mb I don't think I'll bother with your offer thank you very much 🤔😀

Screenshot_20190530-155206.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Turvey said:

I do like receiving this text from O2 earlier...

Considering I'm on a PAYG and data costs me 1p a mb I don't think I'll bother with your offer thank you very much 🤔😀

Screenshot_20190530-155206.png

How do you top up out of interest?  O2 have now stopped ATM top-ups from today. :sad:  Admittedly it's been over 2 years since I've had to top up, but ATM was the easiest for me.

I don't get offered bolt ons like that though! :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club