Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Puma spare wheel.

OldblokeNewcar

1 hour ago, OldblokeNewcar said:

My car is an ST Line X Vignale.

Then you are out of luck. Ford do not make a space saver wheel that would fit your car and also fit in the box. So it looks like a can of squirty cream for you 🤣

A space saver wheel will probably fit on the rear, especially if with drum rear brakes, then move the rear road wheel to the front if a front puncture. 
may get you out of trouble but not ideal.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RL123 said:

A space saver wheel will probably fit on the rear, especially if with drum rear brakes, then move the rear road wheel to the front if a front puncture.

A very good point Roger. 👍

The correct procedure is as you say to fit the space saver on the rear and put the full size wheel on the front. I hadn't thought about the fact it may well have rear drum brakes (don't you just love Ford's cost cutting ?)

Hold that can of squirty cream for just now 🤣

The squirty stuff usually makes the tyre unrepairable and you have to renew the squirty as well.  If slow puncture, inflate without the glue and down to the tyre shop.

Iv’e just bought the 18” 125/60/18 for our ruby edition, haven’t tried fitting yet.

Just an update, the 125/60/18 wheel and tyre will only fit in the megabox lifted front or back. Will not lie flat. I’m not happy I can adequately secure it especially if tail ended.

I’ll try returning it as they assured me it would fit.

4 hours ago, RL123 said:

Just an update, the 125/60/18 wheel and tyre will only fit in the megabox lifted front or back.

That's a larger size than the one Ford list in the handbook.

Ford say the wheel size is

On 8/18/2023 at 11:46 AM, unofix said:

Checking the Puma 2023 Ford Owners Handbook it does list a spare wheel (if fitted as an option - but not for the ST). Seems Ford have gone for an even smaller size than the one I'd calculated.

puma 2023.JPG

Although I think that you could also fit a 125/80/16 or 125/70/17 in the box lying flat.

Thanks Unofix, the larger discs and callipers preclude the use of the spacesaver on the ST.

Have just concluded Ford size 125/70/16 or a 125/60/17 may be the answer for me.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 10:44 PM, unofix said:

Then you are out of luck. Ford do not make a space saver wheel that would fit your car and also fit in the box. So it looks like a can of squirty cream for you 🤣

Why won't it fit, brake sizes are the same across the range apart from the ST which has bigger discs and calipers, as mentioned earlier in this thread the correct size for the space saver is 125/70/16

18 hours ago, RL123 said:

Thanks Unofix, the larger discs and callipers preclude the use of the spacesaver on the ST.

Have just concluded Ford size 125/70/16 or a 125/60/17 may be the answer for me.

Absolutely spot on both dimensions are the same.

Screenshot_20230827_132805_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230827_132741_Chrome.jpg

Also I don't know if people are getting confused with ST line, ST line X and ST.

ST is the 200bhp high performance models whereas the ST line and ST line X is just a trim variation.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RL123 said:

Just an update, the 125/60/18 wheel and tyre will only fit in the megabox lifted front or back.

And it's different to the 125/80x16 Unofix originally suggested earlier in the thread.

Just to update, the 18” with the 60 profile and the 17” with the 70 profile (aspect ratio) will only lie flat in the megabox if you space it off the floor by 2-3 inches due to the taper on the megabox walls.

The Ford 125 70 r16 is 1” less in diameter so should not have any issues appart from securing in the megabox. (Check calliper clearance though)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is about as helpful as the previously mentioned ‘square wheel’ but why not purchase a reputable breakdown/recovery plan.

The mega box is ideal if filled with ice, it keeps the beers cold…. 

nice plug in the bottom to drain it as well 😂

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Hi I have a 2020 st line x plus with 19 wheels and I think I have the rectangular box so will I have to put the spare wheel diagonaly and will I still be able to put the boot cover back down.  

7 minutes ago, top-timm said:

Hi I have a 2020 st line x plus with 19 wheels...

???

profile.jpg.816c5d9f55823ad508f441514945fe70.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, top-timm said:

and I think I have the rectangular box

You don't know ??? there could be anything in the boot 🤣

square.JPG

We are just about to buy a new Puma 115 mhev and have been advised by Ford that a spare wheel should not be put in the mega-box as it is plastic and will not take the weight! We have to order a car with the spare wheel option factory supplied. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this....? Thanks

1 hour ago, AlanDK said:

have been advised by Ford that a spare wheel should not be put in the mega-box as it is plastic and will not take the weight!

Presumably when you say "Ford" you mean the dealer not Ford themselves. As it's a factory option and included on the configurator that sounds unlikely. 

When I was looking at a Puma my dealer made no such comment but did mention that it filled the box so in effect losing that space.

The Ford website mentions:

(N.B. goes into the Ford MegaBox, reducing the size of the MegaBox and removing the drainage plug)

• Like 2

I've seen lots of pumas with  ford factory fit space saver wheels recently seems a nice fit and still room for other items. Pity I'm not at work now for a week or I would have taken a photo for all to see. Can do if you all wait until the 13th. 

• Like 3

Hi Alan

I have just got my new Puma in March with a factory fitted spare wheel. It does obviously take up a bit of space in the mega box but there is still a fair bit of space left in it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jsk said:

I have just got my new Puma in March with a factory fitted spare wheel.

Any chance of some photos?

Would like to see the factory version.

Think the 16” spacesaver weighs about 17 or 18 kg. The megabox has a load limit marked on it somewhere and iirc, it’s in excess of the weight of the wheel.

the box differs to the supplied one with the spare wheel in that there is a steel reinforcement to bolt the wheel down to.

you wouldn’t want the wheel flying about in the cabin in an accident.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful and interesting comments. For us the factory fitted option just means a wait for the vehicle, so not a cost issue. Unsecured spare wheels flying around never a good thing, perhaps the weight of the dog would hold it down though!! I will find out the load limit of the mega box as presumably Ford do expect people to put a load in it

Hi Unofix

Some photos as requested.

20240505_152012.thumb.jpg.e8540a9734e67c09afa3895914ac4ffc.jpg

The packing on top of the wheel is part of the package. Just noticed the two holes in the centre peice. I wonder if the key for for the lock wheel nut will fit in there?

20240505_152026.thumb.jpg.1cceee5e86544f0f19f79b8ef4f57113.jpg

Centre packing removed showing wheel retaining clamp.

20240505_152156.thumb.jpg.487db0969445aa17a1db9df41a933b69.jpg

Finally tray fitting over spare wheel. Just incase anyone out there is wondering. The scissor jack and spanner retained in wheel hub

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, jsk said:

Some photos as requested.

Thank You.

So you can put a round peg in a square hole !!

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club