Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

23 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

Poss a silly question, do you, they come under disability discrimination legislation and a breach ? Sue their AR5E if not for yourself but anyone that comes after. Dont dwell or get mad, GET EVEN, people know never to cross me without reason.

I would assume they would come under the act, the same as any workplace has to but considering the reason why they decided to dismiss me, I suspect they were using that very act against me. 
I can't and won't go into detail but I know that what I am supposed to have said is a complete load of Clarkson's farm plop. 
Unfortunately, it seems like they'd already made their decision before even hearing my side of things, despite knowing my disability. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Out of interest, what's the main attraction?  There are plenty of places I'd like to go (if a miracle occurs) but never really considered Spain as I can't stand the heat.  Just wondering if it's about some of the experiences or more about just relaxing in the sun?

Remember, I'm from Orkney so I need a vitamin D top up every now and then 😃

We don't go when it's really hot, mid 20s is perfect for us. The bit we go to has a nice chilled atmosphere, everyone friendly. Not beach sitters, just stroll along and find a nice bar/restaurant, have something to eat and drink. Rinse and repeat. Not everyone's idea of a holiday but works for us. 

Mrs Turvey also says she likes to get away from cooking and cleaning for a week! 😃 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2024 at 10:36 AM, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Sorry to see that Nick. Obviously can't comment on your particular case, but I do know of several people who have ended their support, financial and otherwise, for that organisation as they disagreed with the way things were going, so I wouldn't necessarily assume you were the issue.

You mean the one I volunteered for (without mentioning who they are)?
I had heard about some cases where that was the issue but with me, it is down to my autism and something I am supposed to have said about 2 separate groups of people but in an identical way. 
I know that I would never ever say what was written even with my disability and tried to argue the point but to no avail. 

On 5/12/2024 at 11:11 AM, Nick Y said:

You mean the one I volunteered for (without mentioning who they are)?

Yes.

I don't like that my best friend has now blocked me from FB and via phone for no apparent reason. 
I haven't done anything wrong. 
All I have done is be there to support her and ask how she was doing but apparently that gets you blocked. 

24 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I don't like that my best friend has now blocked me from FB and via phone for no apparent reason. 
I haven't done anything wrong. 
All I have done is be there to support her and ask how she was doing but apparently that gets you blocked. 

Maybe its not just you, and he/she wants time

5 hours ago, Nick Y said:

I don't like that my best friend has now blocked me from FB...

FaceBook is an absolute insidious company, that destroy many human relationships, and also young'uns grow up thinking they have 100s of friends instead of properly cultivating the one or two that'll see them through their lives. Delete your account, or at the very least, turn off notifications and ignore it...

• Like 4

That's one of the very best posts on Any forum I've been a member of. 

Superbly said Stephen 👏👏👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

FaceBook is an absolute insidious company, that destroy many human relationships, and also young'uns grow up thinking they have 100s of friends instead of properly cultivating the one or two that'll see them through their lives. Delete your account, or at the very least, turn off notifications and ignore it...

Whilst most of that is true, I never believed I had 100s of friends. Most on my list are acquaintances or were friends long ago who sometimes chat to catch up on things. 

As for this friend who blocked me, she was one of my closest friends who I had regular contact with, went through good times and bad times together and shared many a laugh with. 

8 hours ago, Jimpster said:

Maybe its not just you, and he/she wants time

Perhaps she does but if that was the case then she could have just been honest with me and told me she needed some time. 

Nick Y people dont do honesty for fear of upset but by not being so leaves it worse, evn the closest of friends will not be 100% honest with you till you fall out.

After my CBT  I lost many who could not cope with the "new" me, 100% honest and speak my mind for MY mental health, I must add there is no malice in anything i say or do, if there is i say so so theres no doubt.

Must admit that's not the experience I had with Facebook either.  Probably had about 100 'friends' and they were all people I'd known from school, college or car forums.  I haven't posted on there for years (see below*) but still view it regularly to see people I know progressing with their careers, finally being able to afford property and have kids, and restoring cars and houses etc.  Also see interesting facts and pictures about history and culture that I wouldn't necessarily have seen anywhere else.  Facebook is what you make of it.  If you choose to have a load of fake friends spouting extreme opinions as 'facts' then that's what you'll see, but fortunately it's all customisable, so I rarely see any of that myself.  

*There haven't been any young'uns on there for a decade or so, it's just full of older people now.  The actual young'uns are all on TikTok.  And us Millennials trying to hold on to some youth are on Instagram. :laugh:  (Again, Instagram is what you make of it - you choose which people to follow - my feed doesn't look anything like Love Island!)

I never did make proper friends easily at school and Facebook hadn't even been invented then.  The two close friends I had in primary school faded when we moved up to high school and they had more options.  Sadly that coincided with my health issues becoming more restrictive as well.  Nowadays, I still feel part of 'the world' through viewing social media, despite having nothing to offer anyone in a real life friendship.

• Like 3

Facebook is great for large group social activities, both public ones and members only.

Before Facebook was popular we used to get emails giving essentially the same information but with Facebook there is two way feedback with other likeminded people and details and photo's of events that I may have missed to keep myself up to speed.

I often find myself sharing the info on Facebook with people I know but see regularly at unrelated times  that are not on Facebook but do the same activities, otherwise they would not know what was going on and they have come to rely on me for the info.

The smaller group social activities that I do have WhatsApp closed groups, which is better for a lot of reasons including some people not being on Facebook.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tizer said:

... I do have WhatsApp closed groups...

10 years ago I worked for a company who increasingly communicated with staff via WhasApp - at that stage I didn't even own a SmartPhone. My boss told me to get one, and I responded that if he wanted me to use WhatsApp, he should be providing them. One of the many reasons I left (!), and WhatsApp is also owned by FaceBook, so personally, even though I now own a smartphone, wouldn't touch it with the proverbial barge pole...

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

My boss told me to get one, and I responded that if he wanted me to use WhatsApp, he should be providing them.

I agree, they should have been providing you with one, most employers that want to communicate with their staff do. I had a works phone years before I had my own mobile.

If you have a busy and varied social life then Facebook and WhatsApp make life easier and keep you in the loop, if you don't have a social life like that then neither of them are very important although I have a friend who lives in a cul-de-sac and they have a group WhatsApp group so if for example some outsider is acting suspiciously in the street then one of them can tell all others to keep a look out instantly. 

That could be done via phone calls or messaging but WhatsApp is more convenient.

• Like 1

Ive got to find a garage for mot tests on our 5 cars in our family. Up till now I've either done it myself or one of the other lads has done so. We stopped doing MOT tests last Tuesday.

• Sad 2

29 minutes ago, iantt said:

...Up till now I've either done it myself...

Now, are you going to tell us that in the past, you've been in the position to fail your own car?? 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Now, are you going to tell us that in the past, you've been in the position to fail your own car?? 🤣

Yes! Did my own car for 17 out of 24 years as a tester. Not a problem if youve got high morals . As I maintain my car's it's very rare I failed my own. Think the only occasion was when I had a broken spring that I didn't notice. 

Failed all the other family cars as did MOT  first then serviced after . 

Current employer didnt allow us to do our own cars 

• Like 2

Just followed an electric scooter for a few miles, unable to overtake due to incoming traffic. Was doing 40mph!!! Was wobbling about not able to see me behind him. At least he had a cycle helmet on. 

• Haha 1

NOT practicing what i preach. Got the multimeter out the drawer for a little job, DEAD. Tongue on battery like you do yes it tingles. But tried a new one anyway still DEAD. Luckily it was a Ferrex Aldi tool so 3 year warranty.

Rooted in the kitchen drawer for the manual and guess who hadn't stapled the receipt to the booklet.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Jimpster said:

NOT practicing what i preach. Got the multimeter out the drawer for a little job, DEAD. Tongue on battery like you do yes it tingles. But tried a new one anyway still DEAD. Luckily it was a Ferrex Aldi tool so 3 year warranty.

Rooted in the kitchen drawer for the manual and guess who hadn't stapled the receipt to the booklet.

Have you tried simply putting a new battery in the multimeter?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jimpster said:

Tongue on battery like you do yes it tingles. But tried a new one anyway

9 hours ago, Jimpster said:

Now, on re reading this, I think I got hold of the wrong end of the stick LOL I thought were were trying to test an external battery and the meter wouldn't work. I'm guessing now you were talking about the actual meter internal battery??

UPDATE, took it to bits, was the on/off switch. fettled it seems ok.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:51 PM, Turvey said:

Flying the Union Flag/Jack upside-down! I'm not a huge unionist/Royalist etc but if you're going to the bother of flying a flag, at least check if it's the right way up!

Spotted on Sun,Sea and Selling Houses on Channel 4, boils my p### every time I see it!

20231210_203545.jpg

Some of you will be proud of me, others will not be bothered 😃 but today I was THAT guy! 

We've got 3 NATO boats in Kirkwall just now, 2 at one pier and 1 at another. I was at the head of the one pier so thought I would have a drive by to have a look. In amongst all the flags flying was a small Union Flag pendant.......... flying upside down! 

I thought about it for a minute and plucked up the courage to shout up to the guy on the bridge to point out their mistake! 

He immediately went on his radio and then apologised 😃

Hopefully they'll still be here tomorrow morning and I can check that they've corrected it! 

• Like 4

Couldn't get down that pier because of a visiting liner but just been to look at the other ones at a different pier.

Seems NATO need a lesson on which way up our flag is! 🙄

Not the best of photos.

20240526_144410.jpg

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club