Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Things I Don't Like

MattDRX

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Having to anchor them to a wall socket reduces the convenience of portable devices though. 

A very good point, I did wonder why Tesla's didn't just have a long cable 😉

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I have never ever had an electric device fail on me after being left for a while. My last fridge/freezer was over 35 years old before I had to get rid of it because I could not source a new seal for it. My washing machine, and tumble dryer were over 25 years old, disposed of because of lack of parts. My Dyson, is from 2002, and when plugged in, fires right up. I just have an extreme dislike for anything 'battery', as it's inherently a huge built in weakness...

I'm guessing you didn't leave fridge, washing machine or Dyson unused for years though.  Regular use is key to anything electrical or mechanical in my experience.

Oddly, the power cord connector broke on my Henry vac and has done on my Shark vac as well.  Chose a corded Shark as I wanted to avoid battery vacs, but I am tempted to try a battery vac now...at least I know the cord can't break then. :rolleyes: 

Just now, TomsFocus said:

I'm guessing you didn't leave fridge, washing machine or Dyson unused for years though.  Regular use is key to anything electrical or mechanical in my experience.

Oddly, the power cord connector broke on my Henry vac and has done on my Shark vac as well.  Chose a corded Shark as I wanted to avoid battery vacs, but I am tempted to try a battery vac now...at least I know the cord can't break than. :rolleyes: 

I can disprove that theory LOL Couple of years ago, my mum cleared out an old box in the back room. It had my nanny's MagiMix in it, hadn't been used in over 30 years, yes, you guessed, I plugged it in and it ran perfectly. The Dyson electric cord is really well designed (as is the whole cleaner). Pretty sure it'll see me out LOL

26 minutes ago, unofix said:

. Perhaps a new industry will spring up doing full battery refurbishments of the original provided of course the case and hardware is in serviceable condition.

Funnily enough - just mentioned the following on an ecoboost cambelt thread, and noticed they also have an EV repair service. Not exactly what you meant, I think, but interesting nonetheless:

https://cedarelectric.co.uk/electric-and-hybrid-battery-repairs/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I can disprove that theory LOL Couple of years ago, my mum cleared out an old box in the back room. It had my nanny's MagiMix in it, hadn't been used in over 30 years, yes, you guessed, I plugged it in and it ran perfectly. The Dyson electric cord is really well designed (as is the whole cleaner). Pretty sure it'll see me out LOL

I'm not sure one piece of evidence disproves an entire theory lol.  Of course some items will still work...in the same way some wetbelts won't fail. :wink: 

We did have a Dyson from the late 90's but replaced it with with another Henry in the early 2000's for some reason.  Guess something must have broken on it but I can't remember now.  I've got a modern Dyson fan that isn't particularly well built either.  The fan motor isn't balanced well so rattles and grinds quite often.  The whole thing is incredibly noisy.  It's got ceramic heater plates which use a tonne of electricity.  And because they are ceramic, they need constant airflow meaning the fan has to run at full speed when on heat mode.  It does the job - as in it heats the room quickly - but I expected much more from a top brand.

Dyson no longer produce corded vacs so lets hope it does see you out lol.  (Unless you've got the strength and space for the massive upright ball thing).  I was considering one of their battery vacs instead of the Shark one but the prices are ridiculous, and there are a lot of poor reviews about build quality and ergonomics, which again I wasn't expecting from that brand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I'm not sure one piece of evidence disproves an entire theory lol.  Of course some items will still work...in the same way some wetbelts won't fail. :wink: 

We did have a Dyson from the late 90's but replaced it with with another Henry in the early 2000's for some reason.  Guess something must have broken on it but I can't remember now.  I've got a modern Dyson fan that isn't particularly well built either.  The fan motor isn't balanced well so rattles and grinds quite often.  The whole thing is incredibly noisy.  It's got ceramic heater plates which use a tonne of electricity.  And because they are ceramic, they need constant airflow meaning the fan has to run at full speed when on heat mode.  It does the job - as in it heats the room quickly - but I expected much more from a top brand.

Dyson no longer produce corded vacs so lets hope it does see you out lol.  (Unless you've got the strength and space for the massive upright ball thing).  I was considering one of their battery vacs instead of the Shark one but the prices are ridiculous, and there are a lot of poor reviews about build quality and ergonomics, which again I wasn't expecting from that brand.

I've used cordless vacs before, I confess that the 'cordless' aspect is appealing, but over the 20 odd years I've had my corded one, wouldn't like to calculate the cost of replacement batteries.

I've also seen the Dyson 'fan/heater' and at almost £500 could never justify that kind of money when you can buy the same functionality for so much less. I believe the fan in it is about 2500W so electric would be heavy.

I was disappointed when Dyson stopped making corded cleaners, but I'm guessing that would destroy their business model as a corded one would last decades, so they'd go bust without a steady stream of returning customers buying replacements. My friend.is on their 4th cordless Dyson! They keep breaking, but it does keep Dyson in business LOL

I've said it before, it would be an odd world if we all liked/did the same thing...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I've used cordless vacs before, I confess that the 'cordless' aspect is appealing, but over the 20 odd years I've had my corded one, wouldn't like to calculate the cost of replacement batteries.

I've also seen the Dyson 'fan/heater' and at almost £500 could never justify that kind of money when you can buy the same functionality for so much less. I believe the fan in it is about 2500W so electric would be heavy.

I was disappointed when Dyson stopped making corded cleaners, but I'm guessing that would destroy their business model as a corded one would last decades, so they'd go bust without a steady stream of returning customers buying replacements. My friend.is on their 4th cordless Dyson! They keep breaking, but it does keep Dyson in business LOL

I've said it before, it would be an odd world if we all liked/did the same thing...

Tbf, my Nan has had a basic cordless vac for over a decade now and never needed to replace the battery in it.  Regular use and regular charging...  She is now saying she'd like the newer version of the same one, so they can't be that bad.  I want one that I can use as a handheld with small brush attachments though, hers only does floors.

I wouldn't pay full price for the Dyson fan either, it was on offer with the newer model being released lol.  I didn't really buy it for heat, but then the second fitted heater in my flat broke, and my old oil filled plug-in broke (mains electricals really aren't that great lol) so I had to start using the heat function.  I had initially paid about £400 for an AC unit before finding out it needed a massive exhaust hose which couldn't work anywhere in my small flat.  Had tried 'normal' fans before, no good, just blowing warm air around.  So I was eventually persuaded to get rid of the AC unit and try one of these Dyson fans in it's place, under the assumption that the 'air multiplier' would produce a better cooling effect than a regular fan...it doesn't.  The fan doesn't use much electric on it's own, but the heater plates are about 2kW as you say...the same as a cooker element!  (Oh that reminds me, cookers keep breaking here as well...all mains powered! :laugh: )

I think you've been unusually lucky with your corded Dyson.  Most of them didn't last for decades.  Quite a few family members had them at the same time we did, but they all moved on to other machines within a few years as well for some reason.  Presumably some sort of breakage...unless they just like new things.  Personally I hate having to adapt to new things so try to keep the old ones going as long as possible! :unsure: 

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Personally I hate having to adapt to new things so try to keep the old ones going as long as possible! :unsure: 

Couldn't agree more. Yes, I must be lucky, both my cooker hob & oven still work after being installed 32 years ago! Both look mint, cleaned after every use (I'm a bit OCD LOL). Admittedly my friends on their 4th cordless Dyson are a family of 5 with pets, so it'll get quite alot of use. Next time you're in the market for an oil filled rad, try middle aisle of Lidl, I have 2, one just 3 years old, but the other is 20+, all working fine LOL

• Like 1

Didnt like my cordless vac, didnt seem to suck as good as cabled.

You cant beat the Lidl 3 year guarantee, i staple the recipt to the destructions book, that lives with the others in a kitchen drawer

• Like 1

Back to the original issue...  The compressor is now showing 3 solid bars and just the 4th flashing...  Maybe it has recharged properly this time.  Or maybe it's going to explode and engulf the place in flames... :unsure:

• Haha 2

The logical outcome for ALL EV's

So here's an interesting one...  The compressor did indeed work fine, and even charged up to full with 4 solid bars.

Thought I'd better charge the small car vac while I was thinking about batteries.  No charge light on this one, but two LEDs in the lead...red for charging, green for charged.  Plugged in, red light came on, left it to charge...

When I got back to it, the red light is flickering on & off randomly.  Tried wiggling the lead, checked it was plugged in tightly, still flickering, felt the battery to see if it felt hot, but it didn't.

At that point I gave up, put it away, and pondered what a strange coincidence it was...

...but I've just realised, both devices were plugged into the same USB port! 

It's integrated in a ~£40 Masterplug Surge protector, under 18 months old.  What are the chances that port may be broken?  I'll try a direct mains USB adapter to find out.  Won't be pleased if this tower is already broken though. :sad:

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Won't be pleased if this tower is already broken though. :sad:

After what you've posted before, I wouldn't be surprised, you do seem to be very unfortunate with anything electrical!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

After what you've posted before, I wouldn't be surprised, you do seem to be very unfortunate with anything electrical!

I wish it was limited to anything electrical. :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So, the mini vac charged fine using another USB port.  Green light illuminated on the lead.  All good.

Tried looking into Masterplug warranty but it seems like I'd have to post the tower off to be checked...I don't have another to use in the meantime.  This one replaced a previous one that broke, albeit after 15 years!  So I guess I'll just live with it and use a 3 pin USB adapter again as I used to.  Unless the 3 pin section of the tower breaks of course...

Then, guess what...cordless house phone is having a fit this morning! :laugh:  I can't really hear atm (faulty ear) so not sure how long it's been doing it.  Screen was flashing as well so don't think I could've missed that as well as the noise.  Anyway, the handset went totally dead when I picked it up, so guessing the rechargeable batteries may have failed.  This handset hasn't really been used and is always kept in the cradle so not sure why they should have failed.  It was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago after the first one broke at 18 months old.  :rolleyes:   So, hoping it is just the batteries...where's the cheapest, but safest, place to buy replacements online?  They're rechargeable NiMH AAA.  Don't think they're as volatile as lithium but still not keen on the idea of potentially fake ones.

• Like 1

with rechargables its good practice to take off cradle and allow to discharge i do it with my landline a few times a year, nihm AAA are cheap as chip try your local pond shop

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

They're rechargeable NiMH AAA.  Don't think they're as volatile as lithium but still not keen on the idea of potentially fake ones.

I've been using Lidl ones for years, totally reliable and they do AAA and AA, current offer is 2 x 4 packs for £8.

EDIT

Just noticed you wanted an online source, sorry...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

So, the mini vac charged fine using another USB port.  Green light illuminated on the lead.  All good.

Tried looking into Masterplug warranty but it seems like I'd have to post the tower off to be checked...I don't have another to use in the meantime.  This one replaced a previous one that broke, albeit after 15 years!  So I guess I'll just live with it and use a 3 pin USB adapter again as I used to.  Unless the 3 pin section of the tower breaks of course...

Then, guess what...cordless house phone is having a fit this morning! :laugh:  I can't really hear atm (faulty ear) so not sure how long it's been doing it.  Screen was flashing as well so don't think I could've missed that as well as the noise.  Anyway, the handset went totally dead when I picked it up, so guessing the rechargeable batteries may have failed.  This handset hasn't really been used and is always kept in the cradle so not sure why they should have failed.  It was replaced under warranty a couple of years ago after the first one broke at 18 months old.  :rolleyes:   So, hoping it is just the batteries...where's the cheapest, but safest, place to buy replacements online?  They're rechargeable NiMH AAA.  Don't think they're as volatile as lithium but still not keen on the idea of potentially fake ones.

I always get mine from https://www.batterystation.co.uk/

Although, also worth checking their eBay store, they are one of those weird companies where stuff can be cheaper on eBay than their own website after factoring in delivery: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/ukbatterystation

• Thanks 1

So, we're approaching 8 weeks since I bought my used Mk8 Fiesta ST-Line X MHEV 155 from a known dealership. 
When agreeing the purchase, the dealer agreed to rectify a few little faults and order new parts. 
These included a new offside mirror indicator lens and a new parcel shelf along with sorting out the key batteries. 

I'm still waiting for said parts to be delivered to the dealership and for them to contact me to arrange the fitting of the parts. 

Also, I believe that one of the key fobs is either not programmed to the car or just doesn't work at all. 
I changed the battery in both fobs with brand new ones and only one works. So that's another thing to add to the list of bits. 

13 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

Also, I believe that one of the key fobs is either not programmed to the car or just doesn't work at all. 
I changed the battery in both fobs with brand new ones and only one works. So that's another thing to add to the list of bits. 

Well at least that's easy to narrow down. Take the battery out of your working remote, and put it in your 'faulty' one. If that still doesn't work, at least you know it's not the battery...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

Well at least that's easy to narrow down. Take the battery out of your working remote, and put it in your 'faulty' one. If that still doesn't work, at least you know it's not the battery...

When I did the batteries, I accidentally swapped the top parts with the buttons. So the one that did work then didn't work and vice versa. 

Contact the dealer giving a timeframe within reason for rectification, or you will request a full refund.

Today on 'Tom's broken electricals'...  Alarm clock stopped overnight.  Reckon I've had my money's worth out of these AA's though! :laugh:

IMG_20240325_111941476.thumb.jpg.8b4d98c67ec279fcdd5f02908700deb5.jpg

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Today on 'Tom's broken electricals'...  Alarm clock stopped overnight.  Reckon I've had my money's worth out of these AA's though! :laugh:

You do realise that your 'electrical' misfortunes have mostly all started on page 666 of this thread?? 🤣

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club