Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How many miles (or km) have you done with your 1.0 Ecoboosts?

Jeipii

1 hour ago, BlueMike2021 said:

the whole world would have heard about it by now.

It would be nice to think that all potential owners were fully aware of what they are buying.

If you find my comments a problem then simply click the button to not see further posts from me. Just in case you still haven't grasped the situation fully it's not the engine I dislike, it's the fact that thousands of unsuspecting people usually at the lower cost end of the car market keep having their engines blow up and leaving them in financial hardship.

I see that you yourself have a 2018 EcoBOOM and think that you're immune from the potential failure of the engine. Only time will tell, or are you planning on off loading the time bomb to some unsuspecting future owner before the fuse runs out ?  Ah!! that's why you don't like may comments, it might affect the sale of your own.

Do feel free to reply, just be aware that I've taken my own advice and blocked all future posts so it will make zero difference to me whatever you say.  Bye 😜

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I see that you yourself have a 2018 EcoBOOM and think that you're immune from the potential failure of the engine. Only time will tell, or are you planning on off loading the time bomb to some unsuspecting future owner before the fuse runs out ?  Ah!! that's why you don't like may comments, it might affect the sale of your own.

...couldn't be more wrong. Idiot.

7 hours ago, BlueMike2021 said:

...couldn't be more wrong. Idiot.

He won't see this post if he's blocked you...get where your coming from though...🤣

Yeah, I knew that. He was way off the mark with his reply though, so. 

206,000 km (127,000 miles) on my 2012 Focus 125 bhp. Was already at 149k when I bought it in 2016. Have had the wet belts done this year and the oil pump showed no signs of contamination. Previously upgraded the degas hose to MK 3.5 spec, and painted the turbo pipes to prevent corrosion. So… hoping to get a good few years life out of it yet! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, ElCani said:

206,000 km (127,000 miles) on my 2012 Focus 125 bhp. Was already at 149k when I bought it in 2016. Have had the wet belts done this year and the oil pump showed no signs of contamination. Previously upgraded the degas hose to MK 3.5 spec, and painted the turbo pipes to prevent corrosion. So… hoping to get a good few years life out of it yet! 

Hello,

Wow, Nice to hear 206,000km. Could you tell us how much you spent for changing wet belt? Have you service the car regularly? which oil you used? Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Shashi Fernando said:

Hello,

Wow, Nice to hear 206,000km. Could you tell us how much you spent for changing wet belt? Have you service the car regularly? which oil you used? Thank you very much

Yes I can - I wrote about it here:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/134521-rare-ecoboost-10-tale-of-not-woe/

• Like 1

My 1.0 125bhp (year 2014) Fiesta is still problem free so far 🙂 Just some regular maintenance and parts change done to it. Now driven 102 000 miles (165 000 km) and the car is almost 8 years old. I will get the wetbelt changed as soon as I have enough extra money for it. It costs 1200 € in Finland. The car has been serviced in Ford dealers only for the yearly maintenance. The oil that has been used for the last 5 years has been from a Finnish company called Neste. That oil is specifically made for Ecoboost engines. So far the car has been excellent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeipii said:

My 1.0 125bhp (year 2014) Fiesta is still problem free so far 🙂 Just some regular maintenance and parts change done to it. Now driven 102 000 miles (165 000 km) and the car is almost 8 years old. I will get the wetbelt changed as soon as I have enough extra money for it. It costs 1200 € in Finland. The car has been serviced in Ford dealers only for the yearly maintenance. The oil that has been used for the last 5 years has been from a Finnish company called Neste. That oil is specifically made for Ecoboost engines. So far the car has been excellent.

oil changes are of paramount importance with these little engines, oil & filters are cheap, a blown engine is not.I have mine changed  roughly twice a year.92,000kms  & going strong.Just make sure you use the correct spec oil( it does NOT have to be  Castrol  as Ford recommend.)I use ‘Penrite’, which is an Australian company, very good quality oils & meet OR exceeds Ford specs.

B1E56BAA-CE1E-42DB-BF4C-07D34DE0B6DE.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Good Morning all. Were looking to change our 2005 Mk1 Ford Focus with 170,000 miles on it , for a newer model. I

Looking at a 1.0 EcoBoost 125 Zetec 2017 , but Im just a little concerned about this talk of having to replace a whole engine with under 100,000 on the clock.  Sounds crazy if true and no doubt expensive ?

Cheers. 

Sorry, to be clear, is that a 'Yes'  you do have to probably change the whole engine by 100,000 miles ?

Or am I just falling into the trap that reading some negative reviews on the internet, is far outweighed by thousands of Focus 1.0 owners who have no problems with the engine ?

Just don't expect to get 170,000 miles from your engine like you did from your old one.

It will have to have a cambelt change at 10 years of age or 100,000miles which ever comes first. At today's Ford prices that will cost you between £1400 and £1800

1 hour ago, mr benn said:

Sorry, to be clear, is that a 'Yes'  you do have to probably change the whole engine by 100,000 miles ?

No, It's the best prices we've seen for replacement engines.

Don't really see how anyone could give a definitive answer to the question of replacement at 100k for this or any other engine - there are a lot of factors involved in terms of use, maintenance, etc.

The earliest are 10 years or so old now and due for the cambelt change at 100k/10 years. As you'll have seen this is very expensive and in some cases, depending on the overall condition of the car and engine, it may indeed be more cost effective to fit a replacement engine.

Some members on here have had a belt change and exceeded 100k but given that average annual UK mileage is, I believe, under 8k pa these days probably not that many.

Of course, as you'll have no doubt seen some engines have not made it past 60k. As you say, the negative comments get prominence, but you have to balance that against the number sold (1.6million by 2019):

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2019/05/22/ford-1-0-litre-ecoboost-wins-11th-iepoty-engine-oscar--powered-1.html

Taking into account what we now know on here, if you are looking for one as a long term keeper, the advice would have to be to go for the newest/lowest mileage car you can afford and be ruthless in weeding out any possible buys where you are unable to satisfy yourself 100% about regular maintenance with the correct oil.

Once you've got a suitable vehicle, be scrupulous about oil changes at least annually. And of course, if you buy a 2017 you'll be facing that cambelt change in 4 years time.

(My own theory on this, fwiw, is that part of the problem was Ford's one-time reputation for fairly solid but relatively unsophisticated engineering, which made them fleet favourites for many years.  

The "it's nothing special, just a Ford" mindset may have contributed to poor/missed maintenance. The Hillman Imp had a very poor reputation back in the day. This was deserved to some degree (poor build by inexperienced workers in a new plant) but also because its OHC engine was vastly more sophisticated than the pushrod BMC A-series and pre-crossflow Ford engines that owners and mechanics were familiar with in the market it was aimed at.)

NB if you decide against the Ecoboost, you'll find no shortage of advice on other makes on here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Just don't expect to get 170,000 miles from your engine like you did from your old one.

It will have to have a cambelt change at 10 years of age or 100,000miles which ever comes first. At today's Ford prices that will cost you between £1400 and £1800

This is Ford Australia’s pricing schedule for services on the Ecoboost(other models are also there.I point you to the pricing on the Cam belt service & pricing compared what you guys pay.($1,290 for timing belt & drive belts @ 240,000km)£740 in UK currency.

768210F0-CB13-4B4A-B93B-A306B7EC48F0.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hackney said:

.I point you to the pricing on the Cam belt service & pricing compared what you guys pay.($1,290 for timing belt & drive belts @ 240,000km)£740 in UK currency.

Shame it's a bit far for us to drive for a belt change!😃

• Like 1

Thanks Erik that is all very good advice.  We probably fit into the 8k a year mileage. A new car is out of our price range, so thats some really usefull tips for me to think about. 

Just to be clear when you say 'look at other makes than Ecoboost'  does that mean Fords but not Focus,  or are some of the newer Focus not have the Ecoboost engine ? (post 2015) say) 

3 hours ago, mr benn said:

Just to be clear when you say 'look at other makes than Ecoboost'  does that mean Fords but not Focus,  or are some of the newer Focus not have the Ecoboost engine ? (post 2015) say) 

I mean makes other than Ford. If you're put off the 1.0 ecoboost it may be worth casting the net wider. 

The 1.0 ecoboost is widespread across the Ford range and pretty hard to avoid if you're looking at a petrol engine up to 140ps.  Post 2015 Focuses (Mk 3.5) still have the same 1.0 ecoboost unless you look even later at the Mk 4 (2018 on) which had the revised (chain) cam drive. It's still early days on those so we don't know the long term picture.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hackney said:

This is Ford Australia’s pricing schedule for services on the Ecoboost(other models are also there.I point you to the pricing on the Cam belt service & pricing compared what you guys pay.($1,290 for timing belt & drive belts @ 240,000km)£740 in UK currency.

768210F0-CB13-4B4A-B93B-A306B7EC48F0.jpeg

That's very interesting Ron. Swerving off the original topic a little, how would you account for the lower servicing prices there? Afaik average salaries are higher than UK though cost of living is to some extent higher also, and comparisons are always tricky because of different tax regimes etc? Or are Ford Australia and their dealers just less greedy, or more efficient?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's very interesting Ron. Swerving off the original topic a little, how would you account for the lower servicing prices there? Afaik average salaries are higher than UK though cost of living is to some extent higher also, and comparisons are always tricky because of different tax regimes etc? Or are Ford Australia and their dealers just less greedy, or more efficient?

Ford Australia set the prices.All service prices are capped.Same as my Honda HRV Hybrid.$125(£71)per service & capped for five years.The majority of manufacturers in this country do capped price servicing.It is also a way of keeping a good customer base.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hackney said:

It is also a way of keeping a good customer base.

Ah! So look after your customers and they'll come back and buy another car from you. What a novel idea - hope it catches on here!😃

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Ah! So look after your customers and they'll come back and buy another car from you. What a novel idea - hope it catches on here!😃

I still get my little Fiesta serviced by a local mechanic though.I supply the oil & filter, he can supply anything else. Not many will touch them in regards to the timing belt as you need special tools.But it only has 94,000kms on the clock, so I suspect it will never get done!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club